Posted

How it feels to play The Last of Us Remastered in 1080p/60fps

PlayStation Blog goes hands-on with Naughty Dog’s classic on PS4

With The Last of Us Remastered’s PS4 30th July release just weeks away, I dove into a pre-release version of the game to see exactly how Naughty Dog is leveraging PS4’s hardware to upgrade last year’s biggest Game of the Year winner.

First, there’s the immediately noticeable bump in native screen resolution. The jump from 720p (PS3) to native 1080p (PS4) gives the visuals a major shot in the arm. The crisp new presentation banishes those nasty jaggies to the margins, while higher resolution environment textures adorn the lovingly crafted post-apocalyptic environments.

14480378159_3c220c9a23_o

But the kicker is the new framerate. I’ll admit to being at least a bit sceptical on hearing that Naughty Dog would target a smoother, more fluid 60 frames per second for The Last of Us Remastered. I wondered whether it would add a distracting layer of artificiality; that it might somehow interfere with the game’s cinematic look and feel.

“The Last of Us Remastered has a silky smooth feel that makes aiming and camera control feel more responsive and natural”

Thankfully, based on my hands-on experiences at a recent media event in New York City, those concerns feel entirely unwarranted. Played at the higher framerate, The Last of Us Remastered has a silky smooth feel that makes aiming and camera control feel more responsive and natural.

Conveniently, the PS4 version was shown side-by-side with the original PS3 game. Curious, I picked up the DualShock 3 and panned the camera around for a few seconds, before hastily switching right back to Remastered. It’s nice to see that Naughty Dog is giving players the choice to lock TLOUR to 30fps, but for me it’s 60fps or bust, no contest. I suspect this one will boil down to personal preference.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Then there are a slew of subtler visual details. Lighting quality has received a boost, with improved shadow detail. Joel and Ellie’s in-game character models also look more detailed, sporting higher resolution textures that allowed me to see the fabric weave in Joel’s filthy flannel shirt. The 1080p presentation also helped me spot subtle visual details I’d never noticed in the original PS3 version, like the way tiny streams of blood trickle down Joel’s arm when he’s injured, or how rats weave erratically through garbage-strewn ruins.

“The 1080p presentation also helped me spot subtle visual details I’d never noticed in the original PS3 version”

The gameplay remains unchanged, though the higher framerate does lend a feeling of increased responsiveness. The most notable difference is that the L2 and R2 triggers now control aiming and firing — and yep, you can switch back to the classic L1 and R1 controls if that floats your boat.

Though I didn’t get a chance to try out the multiplayer mode (a personal favourite), the campaign is looking mighty promising. The Last of Us Remastered will come complete with all previously released DLC, including the excellent story chapter Left Behind. And at £39.99, it’s a good bet for both new PS4 owners who missed out on one of the best games of the generation, and seasoned TLOU veterans eager for another dose of Joel and Ellie.

14666672442_dafda691e6_o

176 Comments
14 Author replies

I can tell you how it feels to buy the same game twice at almost full price:

HORRIBLE! I think the ps4 will fail huge if sony keeps up with this shady tactic. Already now ps2+ps3+ps4+vita sold less than ps2. People rather play elsewhere.

Where is custom mp3 soundtracks btw? They were always promised to us , sony used to say the ps3 just does not have the power/RAM to support it in all games…

All ps3 Last of Us owners should get a 10 upgrade, there really is no reason not to do this, other than if you enjoy slapping your customers in the face, which led to the position sony is in now financially.

I am sure its a great game still :)

1.1

And @ poster

Sid ShumanSCEA, Social Media Manager

Should you not interact with your customers like the social media managers of other companies do? You do not really seem to manage anything but just spam us with the promotional posts. Thats not what social media was created for.

andrewsqual 16 July, 2014 @ 14:15
1.2

Or do what Microsoft does and give NO comment section WHATSOEVER even after a year they set up the Xbox Wire website? That website is nothing but Spam central if we go by your bot logic.

1.3

Ey AlemanGC, my buddy….
How about you sell your PS4, leave this board and play/buy a different console (or even a PC)?
“Problem” solved for you and we don’t have to see crappy posts like this here.

Show more replies

If it runs at 60fps, why is there an option to lock the frame rate at 30fps?

2.1

Because some people do not enjoy games at 60 fps.

Henkmeister 16 July, 2014 @ 14:08
2.2

Who doesn’t like 60 fps? What possible reason could there be?

2.3

I don’t have a problem with games running at 30fps, but if isn’t running at a solid 60fps then don’t advertise it as such.

Show more replies

would be good if progress carried over…

Henkmeister 16 July, 2014 @ 14:07

Who doesn’t like 60 fps? What possible reason could there be?

4.1

I feel the same way :) But Ryan Clements on the US Blog saw it running and mentioned that he’d rather play at 30, as he feels it retains a more cinematic look. I think he’s crazy, but to each their own!

4.2

Wouldn’t the 30 fps be useful for vita remote play? doubt it would run on 60

Hey …

i really liked Last of Us on the ps3 and played it though twice. Also got the seasonpass for it.

Is there any news yet about whether or not people who have the ps3/seasonpass will get a discount on the ps4 version?
Naughty Dog was looking into this they said before but we didnt hear anything about it since then.

Greets

5.1

I checked the other posts by this sony guy he made to the eu blog. He never once replied to a comment so you will get no answer from him because he does not care :(

Since the DLC is already included on ps4 i am not sure how you are supposed to get a discount for the season pass.

Fred Dutton 16 July, 2014 @ 14:22
5.2

@Basket21 Alas, there is no upgrade discount

5.3

Thanks for reply Fred.

Ill wait with buyin it then till it drops in price and enjoy the ps3 version one more time.

Show more replies

For everyone that has played the game on PS3 and bought the DLC, the fact that there is no option to upgrade to PS4 for less than the retail price is shortsighted imho.
Still, if you own a PS4 and haver never played it then it’s worth the money.

I’m glad there’s a 30fps option. 60fps aids shooting but robs the game of its atmosphere and tension. Tomb Raider on PS4 was proof of that. In a game like TLOU, that atmosphere is crucial.

But if an option to lock to 30fps is that easy to implement then what I’d really like is an option to lock to 24fps, like films. It could be really cool, and if not you wouldn’t have to use it anyway. You could even get the classic Ocarina of Time effect, which I loved as a kid. There’s a reason that game was so atmospheric and well-loved, after all.

Looking forward to 1080p glory either way though. It’s a magnificent game.

7.1

what. the. hell…

7.2

I would encourage you to try it at the higher frame rate before you decide. It’s *really* nice. I wasn’t sure I’d like it either, and now I’m like “man, how did I manage this on PS3?”

Mercurykiller_NL 16 July, 2014 @ 14:11

What about the gore in the multiplayer? The PS3 version for Europe was less violent because of some countries such as Germany, but what about the PS4 version? Details please.

Fred Dutton 16 July, 2014 @ 15:07
8.1

8.2

Thanks for the confirmation. Not buying.

zalwelgoedgaan 16 July, 2014 @ 15:29
8.3

It’s only Germany that’s uptight about the violence. Sony could make a separate, toned down version for them like all of the other companies with strong violence, but they are too lazy/greedy for that and decide to shaft the entire region. Sony’s the only publisher who does this nonsense.

#4theplayers

Show more replies

I assume PS3 owners can get an upgrade for this as owning PS3 version and main DLC and having to pay full price again is a bit mad. Obviously the conversion cost money but looking at the screens , my willingness to pay full whack for it is non existent. €20 I would be happy.

Also what is this option to lock to 30fps? The PS4 cannot handle a constant 60FPS???

Fred Dutton 16 July, 2014 @ 14:25
9.1

As above, there’s no upgrade discount I’m afraid.

Re. 30fps. See Sid’s post – it’s optional. Some prefer to play in 30fps others at 60fps – you can do either.

9.2

Ah just an extra option then, thank God. Cheers.

This is all well and good, I can’t lie this game looks more amazing than the sublime original release did, but what is the point of releasing it at full retail price. It puts me off purchasing ‘AAA’ titles when reboots are at full price, whereas I enjoy the Guacamelee upgrade for £3, thanks to PS+.

A good example is the Tomb Raider upgrade, a reduced price re-release which allowed fans/owners to enjoy the upgraded experience whilst allowing the developers the chance to showcase their upgraded capabilities, whereas for the price being asked I will most likely never purchase this and instead buy a completely new game to experience.

Inspector74 19 July, 2014 @ 12:28
10.1

Money Money Money!!! my friend thats why its pretty much full price, a re release of a game thats barely 2 years old is just utterly pointless, I will be giving this and everything else (unless we get a very long overdue HD re release of the Ape Escape trilogy) a very wide birth. I mean we all know there is a very sparse release schedule ahead for Sony for the next 12 months or so but dont think im buying in to any of this rip off crap Sony were much cleverer than that I mean you already bumped me on PSplus so no more, ta very much

Stonesthrow 16 July, 2014 @ 14:13

It still looks good, obviously, but I prefer the original. Somehow you can just tell it’s a remastered version, not that it’s a fail in that aspect, but you can just tell.. It looks a little smoother but I honestly don’t think it looks that much better graphically, another testament of how amazing this game looked already on ps3. I’ll give it a go when it’s way cheaper.

11.1

The PS3 game is definitely a looker, but seeing both games side by side is an eye opener. The event I was at had the PS3 and PS4 versions next to each other, and the differences are extensive.

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 08:17
11.2

I think that in a video on a website it may be harder to tell the difference but once you get it up and running on your own TV you’ll see it.

“And at £39.99, it’s a good bet for both new PS4 owners who missed out on one of the best games of the generation, and seasoned TLOU veterans eager for another dose of Joel and Ellie.”

– So, I take it this means there’ll be no upgrade path for those of us who purchased the PS3 version digitally? Naughty Dog did say they were discussing this in a previous blog post…

12.1

Fine fine….perfect timing for a discount on Left Behind then!

12.2

yeah, they’ve tried to avoid it and thought people forget.

Dear Sony,
I enjoyed the game that I bought on PS3. I would love to enjoy the remastered version as well, but I cannot accept to pay again a full priced game for a title that I already own.

Would there be no way to get a discount ? Same would goes for GTA V btw.

Porcupeth00 16 July, 2014 @ 14:22
13.1

it’s not full priced

THUNDERCAT1973 16 July, 2014 @ 14:22
13.2

they really should give a discount for those who own the ps3 with gta thats up to rockstar and no chance of that

AstroCyborg 16 July, 2014 @ 17:52
13.3

why are people so cheap these days a great game is a great game price shouldn’t matter

Porcupeth00 16 July, 2014 @ 14:23

I want confirmation that without locking at 30, the 60fps are constant/without drops.

14.1

Tough to verify that there’s never a place in the game where it wouldn’t drop to 59 fps or the like, but what I played was super smooth. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

solarwind12 16 July, 2014 @ 14:24

ND ‘said they were discussing it’ wonder if they actually decided on which biscuits to have with their coffee as well as ‘discussing’ this upgrade, never happen, and tbh now i hear they actually went down the road of posting ‘we’re discussing it’, i lost much respect for em, should of dodged it, as per, or just said No from outset, hate bieng taken for idiot by any publisher/dev, or their pr guys. anyway i see no reason for this, maybe a few months ago, but defo not now, best wishes though.

zalwelgoedgaan 16 July, 2014 @ 14:41
15.1

After the Uncharted 3 Season Pass backlash (with lacking and mediocre content), Naughty Dog said they wouldn’t include a Season Pass in their next game. The Last of Us still ended up getting a Season Pass.

You shouldn’t take their word for anything, really.

It really is a shame that this isa retailing at £39.99 for everybody.
Surely PS3 season-pass owners should get some kind of discount? I’d even be quite happy with a £10 PSN voucher/credit.

16.1

this is the worst customer loyalty I’ve seen in a long time lol

supersmith2500 16 July, 2014 @ 14:33

If the HD remaster has multiplayer again, is it going to get censored again? Please say no. :|

17.1

Ah yeah I’d like to know this too, I think it is censored again though…

Personally, from seeing the US version of multiplayer, I thought the gore seemed too unrealistic at times and unneccessary and the game still gave me a sense of brutality in the UK version.

However, I would prefer to play the game as the developers intended it, and the gore in TLOU isnt something I havent seen in games before either… Gears of war is pretty similar in terms of gore really.

If they can add it for UK, would be cool if can turn it on and off, I kinda like both really, ha ha.

The fact that they’re refusing to answer this question continually seems to indicate that it will still be the case.

While the gore was a little over the top in the US version, I really don’t get the censoring for the whole region. If Germany want a kiddie version, fine, but don’t push it down the throat of other countries. The game is PEGI-18, there’s absolutely no valid reason to censor it.

17.3

I can confirm the multiplayer is slightly censored in all of europe it does not break the (suprisingly) good multiplayer experience at all.

Show more replies

How is there not gonna be an upgrade choice for people who bought the digital edition on PS3? That’s insane :/

Well, not gonna flip out like others have here, ha ha, but disappointing there isnt going to be a discount for PS3 owners, and more so it took this long to get an answer (Though it was unlikely at this point), as others said, just having a £10 discount for having the season pass would be more than welcome. Getting from Gamestop UK or £9.99 from trading in Lego Marvel Heroes, so happy with that at least.

I hear we get some in game bonuses for having the PS3 TLOU on our account, so better than nothing.

Hoping to see some gameplay footage soon. Hopefully in 1080p/60fps…

I see Sony Europe are shafting us again on digital prices.
The US price for this translates to £29.19 with today’s exchange rate.
Getting a bit sick of it to be honest.

I bet it feels gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood :D + I didn’t find anything wrong with the PS3 version in the 1st place ;) Seemed to run like a dream.

alphastreamz 16 July, 2014 @ 14:42

next big news will be: early access games now available on ps4. Buy access to a game with bugs and promised features! Bcuz, Sony <3 Indy

pinkplaybunny 16 July, 2014 @ 14:42

I’m not sure you can call a game that only came out a year ago a ‘classic’…. I found this game totally over hyped and was disappointed with how repetitive the combat was :-(

demonsgalore 16 July, 2014 @ 14:43

Can’t wait to get my hands on it. It is absolutely worth the money and I hope you give us a lot more remastered games. So much flamers not able to estimate…

TheBusterMan 20 July, 2014 @ 21:08
24.1

No,we need new games.I loved TLOU,but after completing it twice,don’t think I could play it again so soon.Also,the PS3 version looked great,and the PS4 is still in it’s infancy,so it’ll be a shiny,slightly smoother polished job.What really annoys me,though,is the fact that folk like me who bought it digitally are not entitled to a bit of a discount if we did decide to upgrade.You support Sony/Naughty Dog,and this is the thanks you get.Let’s hope the new Dragons Age is good,as there aint much at all out this year.I’ve been playing my PS3 a lot more than my PS4.

The game is undoubtedly one of the finest pieces of art ever created, but I still find it difficult to justify a repurchase and replay for slightly upgraded visuals.

You know, there are a lot of whingers that post to this blog. £39.99 is already £10-£15 cheaper than a standard PS4 release and it includes everything previously available as DLC. If such a thing existed would the Nintendo blog be full of people claiming a discount on Wind Waker WiiU because they owned it on the Gamecube? Or the non-existent Microsoft blog moaning that they already own Halo 1 on Xbox so should get money off the Xbox One version? It’s a remastered version of a older game released at a lower than normal price, if you don’t want it don’t buy it.

TheBusterMan 20 July, 2014 @ 21:11
26.1

If you’re spending £50-£55 on PS4 games,You’re shopping in some expensive places!

At today’s exchange rate, which has seen months of the dollar weakening as a result of US economic issues which has nothing to do with Sony. So now it’s about £1:$1.7, at Christmas it was £1:$1.5 which is a good base for the previous few years. $50 to £ at £1:$1.5 PLUS VAT at twenty percent equals… I do believe it’s £40. Yep… Sony’s fault, hurry up and taper the Fed’s quantitative easing already, like Smash_41 I find it appalling that currencies can fluctuate.

27.1

Great… comment didn’t go in as a reply. If anyone’s confused, this was supposed to be a reply to comment 20.

27.2

Whichever way you explain it, the average consumer see the US store getting it £10 cheaper. Add all those up on every game you buy and it soon becomes a nice little saving. On a digital item that has no wait for delivery it’s no wonder so many create US accounts.

27.3

And then you wait a year, the Fed will stop pumping money into the system and jobs will begin to rise, the economy will begin to rise and the dollar will begin to rise as a result then that £10 gets smaller and smaller. Who knows? It was below 1.5 just last year so we might even get a benefit, there could even be another financial disaster and you can have all the cheap games you want due to pound sterling plummeting. That’s macroeconomics for you. I really don’t see how you can be mad at SCEE, a subsidiary of a Japanese corporation, not adjusting their prices due to US economic issues which would be detrimental to the Group’s revenue. The average consumer might gasp at a lost £10, but the average consumer could see the positives, such as a cheap holiday to the States. For the time being at least.

Show more replies
T-Dot-M-Dot 16 July, 2014 @ 14:58

I know i probs wont get a reply and i havent done this before but can anybody tell me if the EU VERSION is still censored????

I’m guessing that since nothing has been heard, the EU version will still be censored.
I’ve got to admit that I’m totally OK with that, played the PS3 Multiplayer (badly) in total ignorance and was very happy.
When I saw the US version I thought the limb/head removal was a bit unnecessary and over the top?

TitManSoldier 16 July, 2014 @ 15:11

Listen. Firstly Infamous : SS AND Killzone : SF had this option and I never had any issues and it never even went below 30. It was either above 30-40 and I turned it on and went straight back because I was so used it being so fluid and smooth

TitManSoldier 16 July, 2014 @ 15:15

And also. Judging from a company with an extremely good track record you really think they are not going to give us a good game? Cool.. Make you judgements

i cansel some games en the last of us i preorderd
good price to older game ( never played on ps3 )

to diablo3 +gta remake = no whith ful price ( already have on ps3 )

It’s a slap in the face of the people who stood behind Naughty Dog and ordered this game day one and don’t get an upgrade choice. Sure take your loyal customers for granted. I’m really disappoint as many third party companies showed how successful an upgrade could be. I’m really sad and thought Sony held it’s loyal customers to a higher degree.

It’d be nice to be able to see it BEFORE it releases!

Save files not transferring over I could look past, but not giving those of us who bought the original digitally a special upgrade price is unforgivable in my book.
I was looking forward to having this again, especially as I haven’t played the Left Behind DLC, but with this ridiculous pricing you can’t count on my money for this any time soon.

geddesmond2 16 July, 2014 @ 16:43

I pre ordered this the other day on PSN. Purely an OCD issue cause I didn’t think it true. You can cancel PSN pre orders right? I just can’t justify to myself rebuying a game that doesn’t look much better than the PS3 version from compressed videos I’ve seen and at 45 euros. I ain’t dissing the game. I think it’s great ND did this and at 60FPS yay. But it’s not enough to waste my much needed money on.

I’ll way til next year when the price drops 50% and spend my money on the metro remastered collection.

2 games remastered for 35 euros. Now thats how it should be.

I really like the new PlayStation Blog design, granted its a lot to take in/get used too initially. Keep up the good work!

37.1

NVM i didn’t realize i was on the European Blog ‘~’

37.2

The EU Blog team did a great job! ^_^

Censored again!?

No buy for me.

Earlofdenby 16 July, 2014 @ 17:18

I adore this game and really can’t understand why everyone is moaning about the price. Here’s a tip wait 6 months and get it half price!

Earlofdenby 16 July, 2014 @ 17:22

Amazon uk is selling it for £38

FearonCentaur 23 July, 2014 @ 19:40
40.1

Gamestop UK is selling it for £29.97

Hmmm, I have pre-ordered this but I’m still skeptical about the remastered graphics.

It’s not much of a jump from the PS3 version TBH. Also the bump seems to have given it a strange illustrated look.

Am I the only one seeing this?

geddesmond2 16 July, 2014 @ 18:21
41.1

Honestly man the only thing I have noticed about the graphics is the field of view is less blurry and character models are slightly smoother. I didn’t know if it was the PS3 version of the game or the PS4 version when watching the new trailer. Definitely not as much of a graphical leap as in say Tomb raider PS3 vs PS4

41.2

Like most remasters, only when you get it on your TV will you probably only really notice the difference, oh and when you see it moving.

twinspectre 16 July, 2014 @ 18:01

FACEPALM for all the Fanboys
modern gaming is all about Visual ? 1080p? and 60FPS ?
well , im the only one who want a Better gameplay ?
i miss the old good challenging games :(
(no Handholding , no Dumbed Down gameplay , no Linear Games , no Cinematic Experience, no Waypoints, no Regenhealth , challenge game, no Focus/Listen mode)
all of you are happy about the mighty graphics , gaming has Lost the real Meaning

42.1

I thought that before dark souls came out. It’ll be another year or two but I think your going to see a real return to form in terms of challenge and exploration in games . It’s so refreshing when games are so well designed they don’t need waypoints or hours or tutorials to tell you everything and your left to discover for yourself .

twinspectre 16 July, 2014 @ 23:09
42.2

@harrisown i enjoyed Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls :) , and im tired with all the modern gaming crap it seems everybody forget what is Gaming

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 08:12
42.3

If you put the skill level up to the top in TLOU the Focus/Listen mode is gone and makes the game much harder. Also the majority of games have always been linear right from the beginning. Whatever game you play, you start at A and whatever you do you end up at B eventually. For me as long as I enjoy the journey a game can be as easy or hard as it likes.

Nobody has forgot what gaming is. Gaming is about enjoying yourself, whether it is a simple platformer or the hair tearing frustration that is Dark Souls.

twinspectre 16 July, 2014 @ 18:04

this blog is full of brainwashing message by Sony’s community manager
what the f is wrong with modern gaming ?
this is pure Brainwashing weak people and pure PR BS

43.1

How so?

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 08:04
43.2

LOL I think you should answer Sid if you can….. Also are you a crazy person?

Porcupeth00 17 July, 2014 @ 11:12
43.3

nevermind twinspectre. he’s also on gamefaqs and all he ever likes to talk is hardcore, dumbed down games, modern gaming sucks, etc etc. it’s like a parrot.

I will buy this on the first day! The Last of Us is one of the best games in previous generation. Remastered edition will be amazing on PlayStation 4. 60 fps will be worth it! The Last of Us Online is awesome and single-player.

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 08:13
44.1

I wholeheartedly agree :-)

medenko1975 16 July, 2014 @ 18:19

why don’t you show some real comparision video…….from the gameplay.

AstroCyborg 16 July, 2014 @ 18:51

can’t wait got it pre ordered yesterday on psn. is there any word when it’ll be released for download timewise?

Sorry, won’t be buying the game until there is an uncensored version of it available in the UK. Absolutely no reason for the multiplayer to be so heavily censored.

dark_angel69 16 July, 2014 @ 18:59

That’s a shame I can’t upgrade my PS3 version. Will give the PS4 version a miss until it’s very cheap. Won’t pay full price for a game I already own. Perhaps trade in my copy and get it even cheaper.

48.1

I have the PSN version so i how i trade that in for ps4 version?

dark_angel69 17 July, 2014 @ 10:41
48.2

You can’t. That’s why buying physical is better. Cheaper, saves HDD space and can trade in when no longer want it.

rapaddict21 25 July, 2014 @ 14:54
48.3

“Cheaper”. Yeah, that tricky tax you always pay for a physical copy no longer exists apparently. And it saves no hard drive space. Unless taking up 20+ gig on your hard drive is suddenly a small amount.

People that refuse to accept digital is the future are so amusing.

ThreeWallzz 16 July, 2014 @ 19:11

great to hear

ThreeWallzz 16 July, 2014 @ 19:11

great to hear!

Any word on the PS4 download size? I hear rumours that it may be the 50gb mark, which unfortunately would push me toward a physical copy.

51.1

No word here, but good question.

You can tell by some of the comments here that schools finished for the day…..
It must be so frustrating reading this crap if your work for the blog.
Why does everyone have to play the A Hole customer .

52.1

It’s okay, gamers are passionate. I am too :-)

I don’t buy games at full price…I can pick it up on PS+ or cheaper later on or second hand.

I certainly don’t buy games on one platform and then buy the same game on another platform.

I bought The Last of Us day one on the PS3 full price…I have preordered The Last of Us Remastered for the PS4 ready for day one.

For those who are complaining as to no discount on the PS4 if you own the PS3….you must be mental.

Every penny for the PS3 version and the PS4 version is worth it…

eyesofvenus 16 July, 2014 @ 20:10
53.1

My issue with buying the game on PS4 after having bought it on ps3 is that I would essentially be buying pretty much the exact same game again. While that may appeal to some I find it to be fairly absurd for a slight graphical increase.

Each to their own.

I like to read comments from both sides of the argument, no point bashing those with a difference of opinion on the matter

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 14:30
53.2

Agreed!!!

Mp still censored in all of EU???!!!!! Are you guys insane? Could you stop censoring 18+ games? And if it’s M in North America, which should be the same rating, why not censor it over there aswell? Stop acting like EU is one country… or maybe we should act as Canada, N.A and S.A are one country.

Can someone clarify the release date for me? Most retailers state 01 August but EU blog seems certain it’s 30 July? Very odd for a game to release on a Wednesday, no?

Also Censorship sucks, but really, if your purchase hinges on whether people’s limbs fly off then that seems really messed up. But it’s your cash guys and gals, spend it however you wish!

And again that multiplayer will be censored for ALL European countries, the only reason that would make me buy it twice the multiplayer is again a weaker version than the US version. So we pay more for our games, with less epicness ;)
Good Job guys realy, you are lucky some of people from the fanbase/communitie are dumb or this game wouldnt been a x2 purchase for some of them.

honkayjeezus 16 July, 2014 @ 22:01

This is the biggest news since Naughty Dog announced they are using the full 8GB of RAM, overriding the OS. Or not showing a second of gameplay before launch. Or giving Last Of Us remastered their GOTY. Or not finding the tech available for a PS3 to PS4 upgrade program. Or Eurogamer doing a piece that says the framerate will dip below 60fps.

These guys are wizards.

supercham2k 16 July, 2014 @ 22:41

For those complaining its censored just import the US version in few months. It will be cheaper too. People forget our ps4s are multi region

$80 NZD is far too expensive for a game I already bought, will be waiting for stock clearance sales

Sony skips pretty much out on all the PS3 + DLC owners of the PS3 version and forces them to pay almost the full price again to play the same game with a few graphical improvements on a new system? I really don’t intend to mark the angry “left behind” guy here but I would’ve expected a little loyalty towards previous owners, considering the changes they made to ship this “remastered” version.
I’d really love to play it one more time, just for the fun of having it run on my PS4, even though I finished the game already 5 times on PS3, though not for 50 bucks. How about a small refund, like 10 bucks? Is that too much to ask for? *sigh*

Show full comment

For what it does, calling it “remastered” is the most inappropriate term ever, call it ported with a better screen resolution, better shadows and uncompressed textures and drop a discount for previous owners. How the hell did Sony come up at the launch of their new console with offering access to titles on both generations for merely 10 bucks when they now can’t even give a 10 bucks discount to previous owners? It’s all about making as money off one of their most successful titles. The problem is that 99% of people purchasing the “remastered version” will be new to this IP and the rest will wait until it is half price or buy it used off the bay. The bad news for Sony is, is that most of all players have already dipped into their franchise, which will make sales look really bad.

bubble_boy01 17 July, 2014 @ 01:57
60.1

No one is forcing you to pay anything. And if it’s the “same game with a few graphical improvements” why would you want to buy it again only a year after you bought it the first time?

“The problem is that 99% of people purchasing the “remastered version” will be new to this IP”. Correct this remaster is obviously targeted at people who haven’t played it before (either came over from Xbox or didn’t buy for their ps3) and that’s why the price is set just below that of a full priced game. Amazingly they didn’t remaster the game just for people who only bought it the year before!

So, all of us who have acquired the digital version that is locked to the PSN account; will have to pay it again at full price to get the PS4 version. No, I will wait until the price justifies an update.

The Last Of Us, is still awesome on PS3.

61.1

@JavaDuke I agree, amongst the best games, if not the best game, I’ve ever played in my entire life but at some point, reason steps in for the better.

First, it’s been confirmed the game actually runs at an average of 40 fps — hence the inclusion of the 30 fps option (like in Infamous and Killzone), which is necessary to smooth the framerate on a 60 Hz screen. Second, I’m dead tired of those “remastered” editions. That was ok for PS1 and PS2 games on PS3, but here it’s downright ridiculous and mercantile. The PS4 doesn’t add anything valuable to the PS3 titles. And I don’t buy the claim that “most” PS4 customers never had a PS3. Third, it looks like the PS4 is only capable of running PS3 games.

Sony, that’s enough! Get a move on!

62.1

This is inaccurate; it runs at or very close to 60fps, confirmed.

Porcupeth00 17 July, 2014 @ 11:13
62.2

Don’t go spouting BS.

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 14:31
62.3

It’s been confirmed by who exactly? Until you’ve seen and played the game just be quiet!

OPS_GEAR107 16 July, 2014 @ 23:42

I’m Ready for this Masterpiece.

Nelsonslb1991 17 July, 2014 @ 00:05

sony, do more remastered games.
– god of war 3 and gow ascension at 1080/60fps in one disc.
– killzone 2 1080p/60fps
– uncharted series 1080/60fps
– twisted metal deserves a 2 chance on ps4 1080p/60fps
– journey 1080/60fps

other companies should do the same:
– dirt series 1080/60fps
– red dead redemption 1080/60fps
– bioshock series 1080/60fps

forget the haters sony. anyone that hates on remastering the best games of a generation isn´t a gamer. people shouldn´t miss this amazing games. this games at 60fps, oh the dream :D

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 14:35
64.1

Would love to see the Uncharted 1, 2, 3 & Golden Abyss in a remastered compilation. Also the Mass Effects before the sequels are released.

Does it include the DLC or is the DLC separate? Because I actually don’t see the point in rebuying these games, good for one playthrough sure or if I ever wanted to get more trophies. I did consider buying this and Tomb Raider for the PS4 but my memory is really awesome and since I remember the entire games, a simple graphics update isnt going to make me want to rebuy :P especially if its going to be that price.

Nice article though.

@Fred Dutton:
“MP is the same as in the EU PS3 version – there have been no changes in this respect.”

Why do the rest of Europe has to suffer because Germany has those censoring laws?

medenko1975 17 July, 2014 @ 11:45
66.1

Yeah: Why does the rest of Europe have to suffer because of damn Germans?

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 14:32
66.2

What exactly is missing from the multiplayer?

66.3

blasting off limbs and faces is missing from the multiplayer

Show more replies

Censorship = no buy, I won’t even import it just out of principle! And if I do import I’m stuck with a version I can’t even buy DLC etc. This is disgusting and very unexpected. It was the only thing I worried about, was looking forward to this game and for the MP, but I LOVE my gore. And I don’t get why the entirety of EU should be punished for ridiculous German laws.

PLEASE, just announce a patch or something for the countries outside EU .. I WANT MY GORE, CENSORSHIP=NO BUY

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 14:33
68.1

So you’re not buying the game because there is no gore in multiplayer……. What!!!!

68.2

YES I’m not buying the game because there is no gore in the MP. So what?
1. I LOVE gore in games.
2. It’s the principle, it’s simply extremely wrong that we get collectively punished because one country in EU has restrictive laws.
3. I won’t EVER support such censorship, especially when it’s done in such a disgusting and unfair way.

Putting out a patch for the gore shouldn’t be such a major deal for Sony. I can’t believe people bought the PS3 version which the censorship. I vote with my wallet, if everyone buys this game despite the censorship, we can count on censorship in EVERY game because one country has ridiculous laws. No thank you. It’s an 18+ game and there should be NO censorship at all. Look at wolfenstein etc? Germany got a different version without compromising the rest of EU’s game etc. I can’t think of a single publisher that collectively punishes the entirety of EU etc just because of one country!

I don’t care for the gfx not having a massive upgrade etc. I canceled my preorder that I made MONTHS ago because of the sickening censorship…. what a MASSIVE let down, this is literally the only game I cared for, for this summer vacation. My PS4 has turned in to a netflix player, something my smartTV already does. Seriously furious about this .. there has to be something we can do. I know I will do everything in my power to stop people from buying this version, call it petty I don’t care. I will not stand for such pathetic and needless censorship.

Get a grip sony,

“it’s a good bet for seasoned TLOU veterans eager for another dose of Joel and Ellie.”

No it is not, it is simply not a good bet for people, having spent almost 100 bucks on PSN. That’s not how you treat previous owners who have invested in your new console generation.

Anybody waiting for this game to go cheap, £29.99 at GameStop is cheap enough for me ;)

WELSHDRAGON_74 17 July, 2014 @ 21:11

I got this for £9.97 from gamestop.co.uk when you trade in a game on they list i had a game on the list wolfenstein new order i completed it and plat the game so trade it in for a awesome game at a awesome price

I’d have easily paid £20 to upgrade my existing PS3+season pass but as much as its one of my favorite games ever (up there will System Shock 2, Doom and Fallout 2!) and I would love to play this….. £40 is too much on top of the initial investment. Sorry ND, waiting for a Xmas sale at least.

Pity, I was looking forward to getting into the MP with a good controller this time.

PAINE-PREDATOR 18 July, 2014 @ 12:11

Are there any new animations added in the Remastered version?

74.1

Doesn’t look like it, judging by the videos.

I can’t trade in the game, because i bought the survival edition on PSN for 70 or 80 bucks… not forgetting the season pass for another 30. Thanks Sony, i’ll remember this.

MP censored for EU again? Ok, will wait for a discount on US store then.

medenko1975 18 July, 2014 @ 19:17
76.1

which you can’t resell after.

76.2

I never resell my games, so it’s fine with me.

It will be nice if the game incorporated stereoscopic 3D. Sony gives us more than just upgraded graphics 1080p 60fps is not enough for a next gen console. What about choice and customisation? I loved TLOU on PS3, I would love to play it again in stereoscopic 3D and also disable all the trophies so that it is a cinematic experience with no interruptions. Why is it just a visual upgrade and nothing else?

Bristow9091 28 July, 2014 @ 21:31

I was really looking forward to playing this, but since the game is still censored, I’ve cancelled my preorder and I don’t really intend on buying it now… ever.

Censorship causes nothing but problems for those of us who don’t live in Germany, and I really don’t think releasing a patch to correct this (Remove the censorship in the EU countries that allow gore etc.) is too much to ask, infact I’m pretty sure it would take very little effort for Sony to do.

I do have a question though: Why aren’t they listening to us? This whole censorship issue is causing them to lose sales…

I’m going to spend my money elsewhere, buy a game that isn’t censored here… maybe even for a different console too!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history