Posted

The Last of Us takes to the stage next week, with Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson

Find out how you can watch The Last of Us: One Night Live next Tuesday

I love great video game stories. Today, the narrative potential of our medium has never been greater. The best video games blend world-class acting, writing, music and gameplay to create art that rivals the best works in other entertainment mediums.

To celebrate that point, I’m excited to announce an experimental project I’ve been working on with Naughty Dog and PlayStation.

14499976897_e7cb628ca0_o

On Monday 28th July, one of last year’s most acclaimed games, The Last of Us, will come to the theatrical stage in Los Angeles for a special one-night-only performance.

One Night Live will highlight the artistry behind The Last of Us with a live reading of select scenes by the principal actors, under the direction of Neil Druckmann from Naughty Dog. Scheduled to appear are Troy Baker, Ashley Johnson, Merle Dandridge, Hana Hayes, and Annie Wersching. In addition, Academy Award winning composer Gustavo Santaolalla will perform selections from his score. How this all fits together will remain a bit of a mystery until it happens, but trust me when I say it will be a very special evening.

This one-time-only performance will be staged at the Broad Stage in Santa Monica on Monday, 28th July at 7.00pm PT/3.00am BST. PlayStation fans who will be in the area that evening can secure free tickets to attend the performance in person. Check the North American PlayStation Facebook page for details on how to register.

If you can’t join us in Santa Monica, select portions of the program will be streamed live around the world on Twitch, YouTube and PlayStation Network’s Live Event Viewer. And while it goes without saying, the event will include some story spoilers.

I hope you’ll join us on 28th July to celebrate The Last of Us and the creativity of the people behind it.

17 Comments
0 Author replies

This is… really badass! What a great way to showcase the artistic talent behind a modern videogame, in terms of acting, writing, music and direction. Will be tuning in to this!

1.1

Indeed, wish I could be there.

When I first saw the article I thought “another thing this guy arranged to step into the spotlight, which he loves way too much” but to my surprise that for once he really did a great job putting this together as a personal project.

madmanwithabox12 21 July, 2014 @ 17:48

This sounds incredible. I’d love to see something like this live. The Last of Us is truly a special game.

SGTSTEELFACE 21 July, 2014 @ 18:05

This sounds really good but ..No offense to Geoff but why oh why does he present everything hes rather annoying in my opinion

3.1

seems like he is organizing this, lets be glad that someone is :P

3.2

I personally like him. I think he genuinely loves what he does and loves gaming. Like him or not, he’s one of the most influential people in gaming and is the journalist who has better connections to the developers/companies. He has also done some amazing work with “making of” specials on some of the best games in the industry.

SGTSTEELFACE 21 July, 2014 @ 21:13
3.3

@Paquete89 I wont argue with you some people like him but he kinda runs a monopoly on gaming presenting and used for an advertising tool (Doritos and mountain dew) and he just plain rubs me up the wrong way

TVsportsCOD 21 July, 2014 @ 18:12

Best enjoyed with Doritos and Mountain Dew no doubt. :)

4.1

LOL .. you won the internet with that comment XD

P.s. feel bad for Geoff though haha

Am I the only one who thinks it a little kick in the teeth that you’re advertising a special reading in a USA based theatre… On a European and Australian board?!

I mean, great. Twitch. But it’s not going to be a patch on the real thing.

LeftMonocle 22 July, 2014 @ 07:02
5.1

You can fly over there if you want to. I would be more upset if they hadn’t announced it, I wouldn’t have known they were streaming it.

♥ ♥ ♥ ellie ♥ ♥ ♥

Sounds AMAZING :P

renaultmilton 21 July, 2014 @ 21:19

Troy Baker? The creator of South Park? Lol!

ashton_philip 21 July, 2014 @ 23:37

Sounds fantastic, what doesn’t is 3AM BST. This might sound like an obvious question but will the footage be uploaded online afterwards?

solarwind12 22 July, 2014 @ 01:35

Nice, wish i could be there.. any chance of making a prequel?.. really hated ’20 years later’ for chapter2, tbh i really don’t know how you’s got away with it, unheard of nowadays, mostly, break a leg everyone involved.

@SONY, PLEASE give countries in EU outside Germany a PATCH that removes CENSORSHIP .. it’s disgusting that we are collectively punished!! I desperately want this game but I won’t stand for the censorship, nor do I want to import it because of the DLC region lock etc!

P.s. weird to see Geoff post here lol ..

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history