Posted

Freedom Wars on PS Vita to get full retail release

Japan Studio’s brilliant action RPG is no longer digital-only

As many of you are aware, earlier this month we announced that Japan Studio’s forthcoming action RPG Freedom Wars would be a digital-only release when it arrives here in the SCEE region later this year. Since then you’ve let us know here on PlayStation Blog, on forums and on social media that you really wanted to see a full title card release for the game. And we’ve been listening. Duly, today I’m happy to confirm that Freedom Wars will now be made available as a full physical edition as well as a digital release, from day one.

Thanks for your feedback, and look out for more news on the game as launch approaches – this one is well worth the wait.

239 Comments
0 Author replies
Ac3_l1ghtn1ng 22 July, 2014 @ 13:03

Thank god this is easily one of the games i’m mega hyped for but was actually going to pass on it since I have almost no room on memory card space but since it’s getting a physical release day 1 buy :D

1.1

@ Fred Dutton

Fred,
Am happy seeing this sorted. Huge kudos to you and the team. Hope you will take this note as a compliment from someone whom never comment.

1.2

Same here, was about to pass it due digital only but this changes everything. From day 1 to zero and then back from zero to day 1. :D

My wallet is about to cry as I buy too many games already, but this is something I MUST approve and vote for with my wallet. Thank you Fred for these news and thanks to everyone involved for your hard work. I had already given up hope, then this came out of nowhere and – oh wow, seriously, THANK YOU!

Thank you for listening!

2.1

By the way, since apparently you’re on a listening mood, how about Multiple Account Support on PS Vita? ¬‿¬

2.2

@Andrefpvs
I’m kinda against… people would be buying only US games, those are way cheaper in US/Canada… if SCEE was nice enough to give us Freedom Wars let’s focus on making SCEE profit on that.

2.3

*but yeah I agree… that we would be able to import games not available in Europe… but still I think that’s not how we should fight for our cause… let’s force publisher to publish the same games in EU

Show more replies
dark_angel69 22 July, 2014 @ 13:05

YES!! Thank you for listening! Now I can buy it!

yay now i’m getting it, now if you could see about getting a physical release of soul sacrifice delta as well that would be great

European_Gamer 22 July, 2014 @ 13:21
4.1

Why would you not have gotten it if it had been digital only?

4.2

@European_Gamer

Probably because he doesn’t want to fill up his memory card. Physical releases for larger sized games should always be an option.

ShogunDarius 22 July, 2014 @ 13:05

Thank you, I hope you will do the same for Oreshika

me too, Oreshika is the one I am looking forward to most

Yes! Need Oreshika too!

Wow. I am impressed. That’s all I have to say.

Thank heavens, the game is saved! Great news! Unlike Dark Souls 2 DLC being out today everywhere but PSN =/

Thank you! And….a Collector’s Edition? :D

8.1

hey hey… that would be too much… even NA is not having those right now… sure I’d love them but let’s be grateful for what we get.

Cool Sony! Now i think it would be cool to give the same treatment to Oreshika.

Thank you very much, any idea when pre-ordersmight start for it? I’m fine even with paying 40 EUR for this even knowing that US get it for 30$

And how about little deal -> if Freedom Wars will sell fine you will release also Oreshika as retail

I think it would be pretty fair, we will try to prove you that retails sells fine by buying Freedom Wars… if we fail we don’t get Oreshika, and no hard feelings… well I can speak only on my behalf… but to me it seems like a fair deal.

Anyway once again thank you very much.

10.1

You pratically lead that “freedom wars ” Archacus XD.

10.2

@den_rick
That’s not true, we were all leading it!

But the biggest “thank you” should go to Liker_ID for starting petition.

10.3

Hi Archacus.

Firstly, kudos to you and your fellow campaigners.

but…

“i’m fine even paying 40 EUR for this even knowing that US get it for 30$”

I thought your campaign, fundamentally, was about equality. Being treated the same as other territories. You have (along with others) waged a fruitful campaign and (perhaps delirious with success) appear to be a little too grateful. Don’t give scee any ideas…

Put it this way. When the game is released, let’s say SCEE decide to charge €35 digitally but €40 physically.
Could put a spanner in your projected numbers.

Again though, congratulations on your (and others) campaign.

Show more replies

Good, now Oreshika!

thatbasedgamer 22 July, 2014 @ 13:13

Brilliant news. Gonna pre order once its available!

Awesome news! Thanks for listening. Day 1 for me now!

lumoplusjess 22 July, 2014 @ 13:15

wow – feedback does work. Thanks very, very much for listening to the fans on this one sony.

I hope square enix follow this example

Faustofausto 22 July, 2014 @ 13:15

Good news, I will buy it! :)

DarkBahamut87 22 July, 2014 @ 13:15

Now we’re talking, thank you for listening to us! I will look forward to supporting you!

DarkBahamut87 22 July, 2014 @ 13:40
16.1

Oh! And I hope that you can also reconsider the retail option for Oreshika.

Thaaaanks.

Very happy to hear about this :D Bizarre to hear Sony even considering not releasing the platform’s biggest first-party release of the year on retail in some territories!

Well done. Like many VIta owners I boycott games that get a physical release elsewhere but digital only in EU. Treat us as second class gamers and get the middle finger.

Very good, i’ll buy it day one!

Awesome :D

I’m putting my money where my mouth is and pre-ordering the physical version as soon as the pre-orders open :)

Thank you. Now I’m getting this day one :)

thatbasedgamer 22 July, 2014 @ 13:20

Any chance of Oreshika getting a retail release too? I badly want this game day one, but I refuse to buy it digitally. If there won’t be a retail relase in EU, then I guess ill have to just import. Hopefully theres no DLC.

24.1

I saw a bit of game play and such on imagine nation. It looks absolutely gorgeous (it will beat Muramasa Rebirth as the most beautiful game on the vita) and it should come in a collectors edition because an art book with this game is a must. So please don’t just release it digital only as I’m willing to pay over the odds for a physical copy, even more for a collectors edition.

SteelFreaxx 22 July, 2014 @ 15:13
24.2

I think there is dlc with the JPN limited edition you get a download code which gives you a mask which when placed on one of your characters turns them into some kind of demon god and you also get Goddess Nueko.

24.3

I don’t think we’ve heard anything about Oreshika yet, so I’m not going to condemn SCEE for nothing – but with how Freedom Wars was originally handled, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were considering Oreshika as DD only too. Hopefully this whole fiasco will convince them otherwise, because if it does, I’ll reward them with more of my money. :)

TotalBiscuit257 22 July, 2014 @ 13:21

Get in!

Was going to wait for it to get heavily discounted when you said digital only, but I’ll be there day one now!

Now just be sure to give us physical releases for the rest of the upcoming releases like this too!

Thank you very much for listening to Vita fans for once, Sony. I will buy this whenever the retail copy comes into store in my country.

Excellent! I shall now buy this game from Europe. Now any chance we could have those 64gb memory cards here too?

27.1

You can buy a 64gb card from Japan. There are Japanese companies that will post to UK, you will also be exempt from customs taxes as it falls under the category of parts. I paid around 60 for mine and that included postage and tracking. No customs and no Royal Mail “handling fee”

27.2

Gamescom! Believe! :) I need another 64GB card…actually I need a 256GB card :D But I don’t think that’ll happen any time soon :)

Awesome news !!!! Thank you guys for listening !
Now, we are waiting the same move for Oreshika : Tainted Bloodlines…

“Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines” too please. :-)

ZERO-REPLOID 22 July, 2014 @ 13:26

Thank you!

crimsonidol-de 22 July, 2014 @ 13:27

Thank you for listening. And now for Oreshika, too. Please? :)

zalwelgoedgaan 22 July, 2014 @ 13:27

Excellent, thanks for listening to us. You can mark my words, I’ll buy a physical copy of the game, take a picture of it and the receipt and post it here on the blog to show that I wasn’t messing around.

Excellent, I’ve been waiting for this too but as usual Digital Releases don’t suite me one bit. Glad you’ve listened and are releasing a physical version. :)

Thank you!! Day one purchase for me!

Plus one for Oreshika Bloodlines :)

infernalmonkey1 22 July, 2014 @ 13:30

Thank you, SCEE. It’s still mind boggling we basically had to beg for a retail release of this – Sony’s biggest first party Vita game this year – in the first place, but it’s nice to see you actually responding to something for once. Will buy.

Wild--Waller 22 July, 2014 @ 13:30

You have my money, d1… thanks dood

At last! Sony Europe they start listening to the players who support and buy games?
Frankly its been fun, sony must continue to support the machines and to lead by example and get games physical media.
I hope more good surprises like that….

I’m happy for all future owners of Freedom Wars but my favorite is Oreshika and I really don’t want to import US box. Hope to see change in decision on Oreshika too!

Thank you! Probably wouldn’t have bought the game if it was only digital release.

Now do the same for Sword Art Online.

40.1

For Sword Art Online we have to ask Namco Bandai not SCEE… but if you want to start petition than be my guest I would be more than happy to help you with it.

40.2

Namco isn’t going to release physical versions in the west at all. They are however including more content with the digital release in the west than the release in Japan. This seems to be a really nice compromise in all honesty. Namco didn’t release a physical version of EDF 2017 in the west both the EU and US had digital release. Namco is actually pretty good at bringing content over to us (there is going to be a Tales on the vita in physical form). They also have a tendency to treat both NA and EU the same with releases, which you can’t say about a lot of other publishers.

Show full comment

I will buy the digital version of Sword Art Online but I will be getting the physical release of Tales of Hearts R, not an import but a physical release of it released in Europe. Carefully consider the fights you pick, wanting everything to have a physical release isn’t viable. We aren’t Japan where even games like Sumioni get a physical release and never will be. However if a company is releasing to both western regions a digital only title, then I’m not going to fight it. Isn’t that ultimately what we want, to be treated the same as the US in regards to releases?

40.3

Sorry for duble post:

Here is the plan: let’s start asking Namco Bandai for retail version of SAO

how about starting with twitter? @BandaiNamcoUK

If we show them that they will be able to profit on that, maybe they will listen.

Show more replies

Thank you so much!
Will pre-order as soon as possible.

kategorierna 22 July, 2014 @ 13:38

Great news Fred, and thanks SCEE for listening! Pre-order is back on, looking forward to the game.

Porcupeth00 22 July, 2014 @ 13:40

Bad decision, next time don’t listen to them.

43.1

What’s wrong with you?

43.2

… and who is supposed to be troll now…

Thanks so much for listening to us.

Thank you SCEE for listening to the fans, I will now buy this day 1 and support it as much as I can!
Hopefully Oreshika 2 will follow!

Also people please ignore the BS rumors that this was going to happen all along and is just a PR stunt to make Sony look like they care!

Thanks for listening :D

Thank you SO MUCH for listening! This news made my day :) I will absolutely be buying it, day one! Aaaah, I’m so happy XD

Great news but this should be standard practice, especially when the US gets so many physical releases whereas we’re stuck with lazy and overpriced digital only.

Will be grabbing this on release.

Dark-Twisted 22 July, 2014 @ 13:45

Always love it when this sort of thing happens.

Any plans on a EU release of the white slim Vita? I’m itching to get one, yet reluctant to import from Japan because of the reversed X/O mapping.

The_fakesign 22 July, 2014 @ 13:48

thank you @Fred Dutton for the wonderful news, day 1 purchase

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history