Posted

Sony Santa Monica unveils its new logo

A new look for the God of War studio

Kinetica, God of War, Journey, Hohokum, and The Order: 1886 – these are just a few examples our studio’s strong internal and external legacy encompassing a broad spectrum of innovative and diverse titles. As we at Santa Monica Studio continue our odyssey to develop great games for the PlayStation 4 (no hints!) both with our internal studio and our external dev partners, it seemed befitting to seek out a new unified studio logo. The goal – create a flexible identity for all of our games, a united banner for all we do.

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

Over one year ago, the creative process of developing our new studio logo began, bringing together team members across different departments of our studio to collaborate and engage in this journey. When you think about establishing a new brand identity, it is about more than an image, it is our promise to our fans that we will continue our tradition of inventive and exceptional games. Now, one year later, we are proud to reveal a logo that celebrates all of our games.

SantaMonicaStudio-Logo

As you look upon this new emblem, though subtle the design may be at first glance, one cannot help but be pulled in to the compelling intricacy of its facets – our new logo is a dynamic ‘window’ into our games. The games we create at Santa Monica Studio become the very essence of who we are as a studio, and vice versa. Our games are the studio’s brand, and now our logo exemplifies who we are.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Our new logo, with its bold, simple structure can become a frame to the world of our games, filled with elements of the game such as key colors, textures, game content and screenshots. When you see the new animated logo boot up with our next external dev games such as Fat Princess: Piece of Cake and Hohokum, you’ll further understand how we crafted a mark that allows our games to visually become part of the brand.

SMS-Logo-GodofWar-Window

The typography of our new logo is a custom designed font we’ve coined SMS “Vanguard”. It means a group of people leading the way in new development or ideas. As we leave our home of 15 years at Penn Station, and move in today to our new creative home, The Reserve, the very core meaning of our new logo takes on even more significance. We have an incredible future ahead for a new generation on the PlayStation 4 under this new roof and with our external partners. Now we have a mark that will continue to evolve and expand with every new game from Santa Monica Studio.

To learn more about our new studio and happenings, visit our official site at sms.playstation.com or follow us on Twitter @SonySantaMonica!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

22 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Nice, it works well. Reminds me of the DC Comics Logo in how you’ll use it with the varying colours, think its a really good idea for a games company.

It’s default colours remind me of Polygons colour a little though (http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/images/polygon/logos/logo_black.vbbf4076.png)

Archacus 22 July, 2014 @ 2:16 pm

The thing is… it reminds too many things because it is “bland”

I don’t think that it is good idea… the old one was quite good and characteristic for them.

jarekmasta 22 July, 2014 @ 2:10 pm   2

Not sure what to think yet, need to see it on a case/in game, looks kinda plain but I guess that’s the idea 😛

Archacus 22 July, 2014 @ 2:14 pm   3

Keep up with good work guys! I hope we will see some AA or AAA titles for Vita from you guys!

About new logo… sorry I’m not really fan of this trend for simplification of logos. I liked the old one better, now it looks like a ten thousand of identical other logos… I mean it would be even ok to use it as a logo for everything… it is kinda “bland”

But as I said I’m not big fan of simplified logotype… I still can’t forgive them for what they did with old pepsi, windows or adidas logos…

Old one was more “powerful” for me…. but not complaining mkay?

DJOates 22 July, 2014 @ 6:53 pm

Totally agree, this is a studio that’s produced some of the finest games, and I hope they will continue to do so.

But, yeah, the new logo is just bland, corporate and could be used to represent anything from insurance to coffee. The old logo was powerful, instantly recognisable to gamers everywhere, and it had something that most corporate branding lacks these days … personality.

Still, it’s not the logo or the branding that counts – as long as you continue to develop the kind of great games you have been doing, they can be delivered in the plain brown paper wrapping usually reserved for illicitly ordered adult toys for all anyone will care. 🙂

Anereton 22 July, 2014 @ 2:16 pm   4

Amazing Logo!

fps_d0minat0r 22 July, 2014 @ 2:32 pm   5

I like the God of War version but the normal one doesnt look very creative.

And when are you guys announcing your next big game? Is there any truth to the God of War Ascension remaster rumours?

THE_FORCE 22 July, 2014 @ 2:33 pm   6

I also preferred the old logo, though I can see how this would be easier (and cheaper)to translate into three dimensions for signage/display/retail purposes.

supersmith2500 22 July, 2014 @ 2:44 pm   7

Kinda reminds me of the San Diego Logo

OmegaSlayer 22 July, 2014 @ 2:48 pm   8

Kinda remind me of a coffee brand logo.
Anyway, nothing even remotely close to videogaming.
It’s ugly by the way.

Goffeentl 22 July, 2014 @ 2:50 pm   9

Yay, you now look like a 70s TV station ident….

DoYouLikeMyID 22 July, 2014 @ 3:00 pm   11

Maybe it’s just me, but I think the new logo looks too “clean” to fit Sony Santa Monica – especially so considering how many of SSM’s games like Journey have kind of broken the mold for storytelling in games, yet this logo is so simplistic and is designed with the sole purpose of creating a sort of mold for everything to fit into. In my opinion, SSM would be much better off with a more raw design for their logo. I just can’t help having two words popping into my mind when I see this new logo: “sanitary” and “bland”

But to be honest, if you guys just keep making great games, I won’t care about what logo you have.

renaultmilton 22 July, 2014 @ 3:26 pm   12

YAY! Your NEW LOGO IS COOL! WILL the logo APPEAR in Hohokum? im surprised! 🙂 YIPPIE!!!! 😀

LAILIEL 22 July, 2014 @ 3:44 pm   13

It’s simple, sober and possibly even “versatile” but it is a bit anonymous if you ask me.

A year!?!

I hope after The Order they return with a new IP similar to God Of War.

ScaryKids69 22 July, 2014 @ 6:34 pm   16

Love it.

WHOATOTALLY 22 July, 2014 @ 7:33 pm   17

It could be a lot better.

I miss the “edginess” of the original logo. It was dirty, kind of raw, and had sort of a David Carson approach to it. No, it wasn’t technically “right” nor did it follow conventional design standards, but I still liked it; it was memorable in the same way the Neversoft logo was.

The new mark is bland, unsurprising, and sort of devoid of the personality found in what they had before. It’s a shame, and a missed opportunity for such an awesome game studio, IMO.

Bladesy 23 July, 2014 @ 12:55 pm   18

It’s Brilliant .. I like the way it can be many colours and reflect the type/style of game its representing. Great!

numlock18 23 July, 2014 @ 2:51 pm   19

Well not bashing the logo or anything but would rather see a game from them for the vita