Posted

CounterSpy arrives on PS4, PS3 and PS Vita next month

Pick up the stylish espionage caper from 20th August, with a PS Plus discount

Hey budding C.O.U.N.T.E.R agents! Dynamighty Creative Director David Nottingham here with some exciting CounterSpy news!

The day that you will be able to get your hands on CounterSpy (and hopefully prevent this crazed superpower plot to destroy our moon), is 20th August in Europe.

For those who are not familiar, CounterSpy is an Action Stealth side-scroller from Dynamighty (that’s us) set during the Cold War. You play as an agent for C.O.U.N.T.E.R, whose singular goal is to prevent the superpowers from accomplishing their crazy race to destroy the moon with nuclear missiles.

CS_PS4_017_1402329546

The 20th August PSN release is for PS4, PS3 & PS Vita and the price is €12.99/£9.99 with a 20% launch discount for PS Plus subscribers. As a reminder, the game is Cross-Buy and also Cross-Save, so purchase it once and you’ll have a copy on all three devices!

As we count down to that date, we’ve also got some help from some talented folks at PlayStation, who helped us by putting together this launch trailer. Enjoy!

We are really excited to finally be close to getting the game into your hands. Starting a new studio has been a big journey for John and me, starting from when we left LucasArts back in 2010.

We’ve been joined along the way by some awesome talented folks. We have two Marks, a lot of Chrisses, only one Ryan though (you don’t want more than one Ryan at a small indie studio — trust us). Grace & Devin, Ed & Jamie all helped bring life into this game… plus many others! We may have to start assigning agent names to people in future.

Also a huge thanks to our friends at PlayStation. They’ve all been big believers in the world of C.O.U.N.T.E.R.

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

Stay tuned on Twitter for further announcements. Also, our tumblr continues to post bits and pieces about the development process, including groovy espionage artwork coolness.

So start the clock ticking for 20th August. Meanwhile, read up on your espionage techniques, eat your vegetables and take that yoga class. We need able-bodied C.O.U.N.T.E.R agents. Because if C.O.U.N.T.E.R won’t save us from reckless moon destroying superpowers then who will?

David/Agent Claymore (Diabolical Plot Division) signing off…

CS_PS4_004_1402329522

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

32 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first
AlemanGC 23 July, 2014 @ 3:05 pm   1

This looks like a great game, and the cross-buy is really a sweet feature even tho I only have a ps3 currently. But such a game would be maybe free, 2 or 3 bucks on Android and they got billions of customers so they are making something right and they are growing while Playstation decreases (ps3+ps4 sold less than ps2), having this at 13€ is just too much , especially if you do not even know if you will like it (most gamers are not trophy hunters or people who complete all games) , again it does look like a great game and maybe I buy it still but i think you/sony are wasting a huge chance here to make these games accessible to almost all Playstation customers AND grow the brand.

AlemanGC 23 July, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

I see the indie games on Playstation get bought by less than 1 in 100 customers, so a different more aggressive price point might bring it to 10 in 100 and we all profit! Do you want to sell 1 game at 13 or 10 games at 3?

dirtyCAT79 23 July, 2014 @ 3:28 pm

I think you need to get a better paying job mate and / or spend less money on games if you are complaining about this price for a game like this.

This game looks great and against the development costs to get the level of polish this has the asking price is almost too low.

zalwelgoedgaan 23 July, 2014 @ 3:34 pm

@Gingerale: While I am all for super cheap games, you also have to price them based on the current audience. The Vita sold no more than 10 million, while hundreds of millions of people have smartphones. Each platform has certain demands and standards depending on the games that are offered. The reason the US gets dollar sales is because the PS3 generation is coming to an end and that there is a general fatigue; people are slowly moving to the PS4 generation. If a game has a PS3 and a PS4 version, just look at the ratings; the PS4 version sells way more, even if the userbase is much smaller.

So, it isn’t all cut and dry like you say. The fact that this is cross buy is icing on the cake, that’s definitely value.

…Although, one could argue that they only want a single version at a lower price, but that’s a different discussion altogether.

statuz__ 23 July, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

I agree with dirtyCAT79 – at the PS+ price of £7.99 on 3 different platforms this is cheap. Also consider that Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty is on PSN today at £17.99.

If you don’t see the value, don’t spend your money on it. As you said, there are games just as good for 2 or 3 bucks on Android that billions of customers are playing.

AlemanGC 23 July, 2014 @ 3:46 pm

I just think these ex-Lucasarts Magicians deserve better than selling a few 10.000 of games when they could sell hundret thousands or millions of games on PS3/Vita/PS4… I am not attacking this game but more so Sonys price politics. The market has changed if sony keeps on sleeping some day the horror scenario will happen that Google or Apple buy Sony.

zalwelgoedgaan 23 July, 2014 @ 3:50 pm

@Gingerale: No company would buy Sony; they have a HUGE ton of debt. If a company buys Sony, then they have to pay off all the debts that they have right now.

Sony would just sell their IPs and all sorta patended hoopla w/e when their curtains are about to close, but I don’t see that happening in a long time.

tat_sun 23 July, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

If you watch the video, if may be worth noticing what the fourth item is when it says “Share across Devices”…………… (around 1:04 in the video)

Funny I have an android tablet and phone, but I don’t have any game on it that looks even remotely as good as this!

Fred Dutton 23 July, 2014 @ 3:32 pm

Agreed 😉

statuz__ 23 July, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

I’ll co-sign this. Playing these types of games on a touch screen is a nightmare anyway – Vita’s dual sticks for the win!

andrewsqual 23 July, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

EXACTLY, nail on the head dude. And it wouldn’t control good AT ALL if it were on Android or phone too as they would have to design the game for these “billions” of mainstream customers that refuse to use anything but their touch screen. :S

It looks nice and cross-buy is always welcome, any plans for a demo ?

zalwelgoedgaan 23 July, 2014 @ 3:27 pm   4

– €13 (accurate price conversion for the absolute win)
– Plus discount of 20%
– Cross Buy for maximum value: PS4/PS3/Vita
– Cross Save for maximum convenience
– Cute blog article
– Unique look, cool gameplay

Say no more, I’ll definitely buy this.

HomessaHomem 23 July, 2014 @ 3:31 pm   5

I NEED THIS IN MY VITA!

loving the look and i end up buying most things anyway lol so ill be buying this

khanani87 23 July, 2014 @ 3:55 pm   7

CounterSpy looks badass. Its part of the PS Store PLAY 2014 scheme in the US with 3 other awesome indie games. Does the EU get anything like the PLAY scheme? If not, Sony please stop treating all Playstation users everywhere EXCEPT the US like second class citizens.

hayzink 23 July, 2014 @ 4:48 pm

we never get the play offer here and i have never seen something thats even like it in the eu

solarwind12 23 July, 2014 @ 9:51 pm

Happened once a few years back, very similar deal to that US one but it was a disaster, people were filling the then pages of blog up with complaints about scee’s incompetence, won’t be surprised if theres Still some that are waiting for their game/discount/or reward.. can’t remember the four titles but am surprised it’s been forgotten… This game looks the biz and who would dare argue it’s value?

Is the Australian PS Store going to get Counterspy? There is no where to preorder the game in our store 🙁

Here I am again asking the same question I ask to EVERY developer that comes here on the PS Blog.

Q: Can we customize the HUD or at least turn it off?

PIREDERAS 23 July, 2014 @ 5:11 pm   10

I am a big spy movie fan, and I ‘ll definitely buy this game, as it is based loosely on Cold War-era espionage, a mysterious era untouched by videogames. And the art style of CounterSpy is really good, too. Colourful, comic book-style, with a shady main character (what kind of spy would not be shady? ;P).

May I ask what C.O.U.N.T.E.R. stands for? I love it, reminds me of the old James Bond movies’ S.P.E.C.T.R.E. criminal organization.

HeikeStagBeetle 24 July, 2014 @ 1:18 pm

Remember what H.A.R.M. stands for!

Really, if you’re seriously suggesting that there are no earlier sixties-style spy games, you should follow that advice.

I agree that CounterSpy’s description and visuals look very good. My Vita is pleased at this announcement.

YimSiphny 23 July, 2014 @ 6:32 pm   11

Keen to give this a go… And THANK YOU for supporting Vita!

Alestes 23 July, 2014 @ 6:37 pm   12

Looks really fun, I’m looking forward to play it.

Interesting art style — certainly looks fresh and different! As for the price debate, I feel that €13 for a game that you play for at least ten hours (and perhaps many more) is an excellent deal. Most other forms of entertainment cost much, much more. And if it is too expensive or outside one’s budget, there’s a good chance that it’ll go on sale in the future. Developers need to eat, too.

PS Plus launch discount you say ? …… awesome, thank you 🙂 Game looks great and thanks for supporting vita

DimaokxNoty 24 July, 2014 @ 2:32 pm   15

Looks like Team Fortress 2, but ill pass.

Pica_Man 24 July, 2014 @ 10:51 pm   16

Looks great. I’m getting an obvious ‘Archer’ vibe from the trailer. Will defo be rocking this on all 3 platforms.

DJOates 25 July, 2014 @ 12:31 am   17

I need this on my Vita – day one buy for me.

Bartber 25 July, 2014 @ 1:29 pm   18

It looks like a 2D version of No One Lives Forever :). BTW Great music.

souiuwakede_al 28 July, 2014 @ 12:25 pm   19

This looks ace and a great cross buy too. Will defo add this to my already huge back catalogue of games I need to play. Thanks!