New inFAMOUS First Light trailer debuts, new features detailed

Your first look at the new leaderboard-supported Battle Arenas

It feels like I was just on the blog announcing inFAMOUS First Light at E3, a brand new standalone DLC to inFAMOUS Second Son, and I’m happy to be back to talk about all the progress we’ve made. We are officially in the final days of the project and it’s really exciting to debut our latest trailer at Gamescom.

Creatively, this was one of my favorite projects to date. First Light features the origin story of my favorite conduit from Second Son, Abigail “Fetch” Walker. It’s always a challenge to create an origin story, but we found Fetch to be a really engaging character and wanted to explore her past a little more. After being captured by the D.U.P, Fetch is taken to Curdun Cay, a conduit prison up in the snowy mountains, where D.U.P leader Augustine sets out to train her to become a ruthless killer.

The biggest feature we are unveiling at the show is re-playable Battle Arenas with worldwide leader board support. This is an exciting new game type for Sucker Punch and the inFAMOUS franchise, and you’ll catch a glimpse of it in the trailer. As part of the single player narrative, you’ll find that Augustine uses these arenas within Curdun Cay to train conduits into killers. Fetch is put through the paces in these arenas, taking on wave after wave of challenges to sharpen and upgrade her powers. As you play through the game, you can then go back and choose to re-play the challenges to compete with scores on worldwide leaderboards.

This is a level of interaction with your friends that we haven’t explored before and it’s SUPER exciting. As an added bonus, if you still have your copy of Second Son, you will be able to play as Delsin in these Battle Arenas.

BattleArena Concept

In addition to the new Arenas, you’ll meet new key characters, Brent and a street smart dirt bag, Shane. Players will also get to explore the open world of Seattle while unleashing Fetch’s new and highly personalised neon powers. Fetch’s melee is extremely fast and Dash now has an interactive component that will require you to navigate through neon gas clouds to maintain the higher speeds.

You’ll also be able to gather skill points to increase her powers sets, and we’ve included lots of new upgrades. In the trailer, you’ll also get to see the fx spectacle of Fetch’s neon power bomb. Finally, while speaking of FX, First Light explores a snow storm environment that is key in experiencing Fetch’s story.

I must say that its’ been a pleasure working on the project and we we’re excited for you to play First Light in just two short weeks! First Light will be available for download through the PlayStation Store on 27th August. You also have the option of purchasing it on Blu-ray a week or two later on 10th September.

So, whether through Facebook, Twitter or here on the PlayStation Blog, I look forward to hearing what you think about the game so far!

Did you enjoy this?

18 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first
Matt14451 12 August, 2014 @ 6:40 pm   1

Photo mode?

Jason Connell 12 August, 2014 @ 8:47 pm

Photo mode will absolutely be included. We’ve even made a few new color grade options and a new feature where you can control the opacity of the color grading.

dark_angel69 12 August, 2014 @ 8:55 pm

That’s great to hear! Photo mode makes games better!

C0LLIER_1985 12 August, 2014 @ 7:22 pm   2

Since i completed infamous i aint played it, so looking forward to jumping back in!

Pin-Head-Larry51 12 August, 2014 @ 8:43 pm   3

Will First Light have a platinum?

Totakeke3 12 August, 2014 @ 9:27 pm   4

I’d like some more information on the Blu-ray; I know I sound like a Luddite, but I really dislike digital downloads

DJ_DOODLE 12 August, 2014 @ 9:39 pm   5

When you say “As an added bonus, if you still have your copy of Second Son, you will be able to play as Delsin in these Battle Arenas.” How will it establish whether I still own Second Son? Through save data?
I only ask because if its through reading the disc, that would be an issue for someone like me who is considering getting the blu ray. Wanna make sure I get my bonuses for also owning Second Son, thanks! 🙂

Mirage156 12 August, 2014 @ 9:52 pm   6

Can u say he long it is in comparison of second son, 1/2? 1/4?

BritishAdam 12 August, 2014 @ 11:18 pm   7

You guys should add an actual video filter, similar to that of photo mode but when playing the same. Some would give the effects of SweetFX etc.

Will Deslin be unlocked if you have an Infamous: Second Son save file? Or does Second Son have to be installed on the PS4 system?

Stonesthrow 13 August, 2014 @ 2:56 am   9

This should keep me warm for a day but you know I need a follow up on Second son right?

UK_Rocklance 13 August, 2014 @ 4:19 am   10

“…don’t try anything stupid” … and they went and added battle arena! Really, is there a need for inFamous to go MOBA?

What’s next? So we have a beautifully modeled Seattle, let’s make full use of it. I know, we can have all sorts of PvP, capture the flag in Seattle, horde mode, zombie mode, rooftop racing time-trials, match-three, hidden object search, …

Please, stick to single-player!

Looking forward to this. Not really DLC though is it? Its a mini standalone game.

Artemisthemp 13 August, 2014 @ 9:03 am   12

Does the Disc version of Infamous First Light included the Pre-order outfit or can you only obtain that by pre-ordering the Digital version?

I am so buying this. Thanks for releasing a disc version by the way.

Darksector90 13 August, 2014 @ 10:23 am   14