Ska Studios’ Salt and Sanctuary coming soon exclusively to PS4/PS Vita

Your first glimpse at the new action RPG platformer from The Dishwasher developer

Hi! James and Michelle here! We’re Ska Studios, the Seattle-based two person game studio responsible for The Dishwasher series, Charlie Murder and I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!1.

We’re super proud to introduce you to our newest project: Salt and Sanctuary. It’s a stylistic, brutal, action RPG platformer that’s teeming with visceral, satisfying combat, deep, diverse character builds, and some of the most incredible bosses we’ve ever made.

Salt and Sanctuary casts you as a sailor shipwrecked on a strange, purgatorial island, insulated somehow against a backdrop of centuries-old worldwide perpetual war. What hope remains is isolated in Sanctuaries, protected dwellings where travellers can band together under common creeds to take shelter from the hostile world outside.

If you’re familiar with some of our last-gen work like The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile and Charlie Murder, you should know what to expect: solidly executed, intricate and brutal combat; lovingly hand-drawn and animated 2D art (of the non-pixel variety); a killer in-house soundtrack; and a massive roster of set-defining, dynamic and unique bosses. Salt is inspired as much by our history as a studio as it is by old classics like Castlevania and new classics like the Souls series.

Like in The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, the emphasis is stylistic sidescrolling combat: weapons have move-sets, air attacks have hang time, and rolling is king. However, unlike Vampire Smile, there’s a huge amount of depth to the combat in Salt.

Weapons can be one-handed and paired with shields or offhand crossbows for versatility, or wielded two-handed for added power, and every configuration has its own unique move-set. There are staffs for magic, bows for ranged combat, and belt-slotted consumables like throwing daggers and weapon-buffing Pitchfire. Of course, load-out weight affects your movement, rolling speed and stamina regen, so a good balance of defence and agility is key. Basically, it combines two things we love: fast, precise 2D combat and super strategic RPG depth. Also, there are curb stomps

Finally, we’re super excited to announce that Salt and Sanctuary marks Ska Studios’ debut on Sony platforms! Developing with Sony is a new and exciting thing for us, but as seven year indie veterans in search of some next-gen direction, we were absolutely blown away by their support, enthusiasm and devotion to giving us a home on their new platforms. We’re proud to announce that Salt and Sanctuary will be launching exclusively on PS4 and PS Vita next year.

We’ll be speaking more in depth on the various systems and themes of Salt and Sanctuary in the coming months, but we hope you enjoyed this teaser. See you on PlayStation!

Did you enjoy this?

19 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
dylanwiggan 28 August, 2014 @ 3:09 pm   1

I really like the look of this, excited to play it on my vita

Silent_Gig 28 August, 2014 @ 3:11 pm   2

This looks brilliant!
What a game to debut on Sony platforms too, i cant wait to hear more about the game =]
Consider me invested~

HomessaHomem 28 August, 2014 @ 3:15 pm   3

The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile was sooo good.
Consider me a day one purchaser 🙂

zalwelgoedgaan 28 August, 2014 @ 3:32 pm   5

Sooo, it’s VVVVVV × Castlevania × Dark Souls × Prince of Persia?

HomessaHomem 28 August, 2014 @ 3:44 pm   6

There`s any plans to bring The Dishwasher titles and Charlie Murder to Playstation ecosystem ?

Smash_41 29 August, 2014 @ 8:11 am

That would be awesome seeing as i’ve ditched my Xbox 360.
    I’d gladly buy it again.

Yepp, Souls and Castlevania was my first thought…OK so here is the deal, you’ll release this early next year and I’ll buy it day one. Deal? Good. Oh and thanks for supporting the Vita 🙂
Best place to play IMO

Looking really great I loved The Dishwasher I just hope this isn’t as tough lol!

Simple question: Will the final game have HUD or there will be none just like in the video?

ummagummachild 28 August, 2014 @ 4:45 pm   10

Loved the soundtrack. Game looks brutal and tough and being a more of softcore gamer I doubt that I will be able to play it. Rest will be known when the game released. But, the development during the last few weeks has started to shatter my opinion that #psvita is an unwanted and ignored child of sony…wish u luck devs

SuperJag86 28 August, 2014 @ 4:53 pm   11

Very much looking forward to trying this on my Vita!
I remember playing I MAED and The Dishwasher on a friends Xbox and thought they were pretty fun so it’s nice to see you come over to Sony.

BluSpykz 28 August, 2014 @ 4:58 pm   12

I like the overall feel of this. Atmosphere is spot on. I can’t wait to give you my money and feed my Vita.

Serpantino 28 August, 2014 @ 5:21 pm   13

Thoroughly enjoyed The Dishwasher Samurai games, looking forward to this.

Looks awesome, my kind of game

egeberg84 28 August, 2014 @ 8:33 pm   15

Wow, this looks absolutely amazing! Looks like a definite day one to me!
Will be following this with great interest!!!

This looks incredible! Just the type of game I’d love on my Vita. Mature, not smelling indie (ie. poor 8-bit graphics…) and with a Western feel to it (way too many Japanese games on Vita in comparison to Western ones). Day 1 for me 🙂

Looks and sounds amazing! Looking forward to playing it on Vita.

brianmini 29 August, 2014 @ 1:51 pm   18

This could so easily have been a terrible pixel art game, but this looks wonderfully drawn. A definate must investigate game, I might like this a lot…..