Posted

Murasaki Baby hurdles onto PS Vita this September

Take a closer look at the dark, stylish PS Vita exclusive

Here’s the thing about PS Vita exclusive Murasaki Baby: it’s one of the strangest, most subversive games I’ve played. It seems like studio Ovosonico designed it to deliberately get under the skin of established game conventions, and the result is something I’ve never quite seen before.

You don’t directly control the titular Baby, for instance; instead, you lead her through a disturbing world solely using PS Vita’s front touchscreen and rear touchpad (that’s right: no buttons or analog sticks at all). As the game progresses, Baby learns from your interactions and gradually becomes a bit more independent.

The game’s universe is the real star, starting with the lively sketch-like art direction of the environment and its characters. From the ominous landscapes — which look like Tim Burton fever dreams — to the grotesque character designs, Murasaki Baby is a study in how to make cute creepy.

Watch my playthrough of the game’s first chapter to see why Murasaki Baby is worth keeping an eye out when it lands on PS Vita this September.

17 Comments
0 Author replies
zalwelgoedgaan 29 August, 2014 @ 14:03

I don’t need to spoil myself watching a playthrough, I’ll buy it day 1 anyway.

Will there be free demo?

2.1

Funny how these days we have to add the word “free” to “demo”…

1. How long is the game?
4-5 hours or 10-20 hours

2. Is there any chance for retail version. I am aware that it is “indie class” game, but priority for me are retail games… that means that I will pick it up only when I won’t have anything to buy. (anyway if anyone still didn’t buy Child Of Light do it now, great great great game with nice lil box)

3.1

I would know the same thing. It’s one of the most important PS Vita exclusives out this year, together with Freedom Wars and, maybe, Oreshika (if it will be out in 2014). So why not retail? What’s wrong with SCEE? There are very few retail games for Vita, do you remember the epic fail of PSP GO?
And you can’t say me that it’s an indie when it’s published andò funded by Sony, who owns the IP. Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Heavy Rain, Beyond andò many others are indies? No, but Insomniac and Quantic Dream are independent, just like Ovosonico. It’s the same thing for Hohokum, The Unfinished Swan, Counterspy, Rain, Helldivers, Resogun, Dead Nation, Velocity, Alienation, Rime, When Vikings Attack, Super Stardust, Escape Plan, The Hungry Horde etc.

zalwelgoedgaan 29 August, 2014 @ 17:48
3.2

Nowadays they sell little voucher cards for PSN content/DLC etc., including PSN games like Rain, Pac-Man and Resogun. They might try it with Murasaki Baby, but let’s not push our luck here. We’ll see how this game does.

We need to tell Vita owners to buy this game though, don’t let it die like Tearaway.

madmanwithabox12 30 August, 2014 @ 21:11
3.3

This is a digital only game. Suck it up and buy the game, it’s cheap enough for what it offers. It looks incredible and if you’re limiting yourself from experiencing a great game like this because it’s digital only, then that’s really your loss. This game deserves better than that. How can you be such an avid supporter of Vita and then be so against picking this game up digitally?

Show more replies

Definitely looking forward to this one.

September is a bit vague but… not much longer to wait I guess. :)

ummagummachild 29 August, 2014 @ 19:39

One of the most awaited #psvita title of the year. My niece watched the trailor and cant stop asking about this baby whose lips are at the forehead and who walk wierdly. The artwork and colors are brilliant and will look at iys best on my OLED lit vita. Keep up d good work and wish u luck

thekillingspree 29 August, 2014 @ 19:49

Great video, good enough to get us even more excited for the game! This has been one of my most anticipated Vita games of the year. It’s so dark and quirky, it’s just right up my alley :D

thekillingspree 29 August, 2014 @ 19:51
6.1

… And it’s a Vita exclusive, which is extra awesome! Please keep it that way and don’t pull a Tearaway on it in the not so distant future… Vita needs its exclusives, like Baby needs her balloon.

I NEED THIS IN MY VITA!

Day one purchase. Or pre-order. This games looks too awesome to miss it. Especially when there aren’t many PS Vita exclusives around.

But I’m pretty sure they may release it for PS4 in the future thanks to the touchpad on DualShock 4.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.