Posted

Murasaki Baby hurdles onto PS Vita this September

Take a closer look at the dark, stylish PS Vita exclusive

Here’s the thing about PS Vita exclusive Murasaki Baby: it’s one of the strangest, most subversive games I’ve played. It seems like studio Ovosonico designed it to deliberately get under the skin of established game conventions, and the result is something I’ve never quite seen before.

You don’t directly control the titular Baby, for instance; instead, you lead her through a disturbing world solely using PS Vita’s front touchscreen and rear touchpad (that’s right: no buttons or analog sticks at all). As the game progresses, Baby learns from your interactions and gradually becomes a bit more independent.

The game’s universe is the real star, starting with the lively sketch-like art direction of the environment and its characters. From the ominous landscapes — which look like Tim Burton fever dreams — to the grotesque character designs, Murasaki Baby is a study in how to make cute creepy.

Watch my playthrough of the game’s first chapter to see why Murasaki Baby is worth keeping an eye out when it lands on PS Vita this September.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

17 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

zalwelgoedgaan 29 August, 2014 @ 2:03 pm   1

I don’t need to spoil myself watching a playthrough, I’ll buy it day 1 anyway.

Will there be free demo?

Njitram2000 30 August, 2014 @ 8:13 am

Funny how these days we have to add the word “free” to “demo”…

1. How long is the game?
4-5 hours or 10-20 hours

2. Is there any chance for retail version. I am aware that it is “indie class” game, but priority for me are retail games… that means that I will pick it up only when I won’t have anything to buy. (anyway if anyone still didn’t buy Child Of Light do it now, great great great game with nice lil box)

DuxCaesar 29 August, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

I would know the same thing. It’s one of the most important PS Vita exclusives out this year, together with Freedom Wars and, maybe, Oreshika (if it will be out in 2014). So why not retail? What’s wrong with SCEE? There are very few retail games for Vita, do you remember the epic fail of PSP GO?
    And you can’t say me that it’s an indie when it’s published andò funded by Sony, who owns the IP. Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Heavy Rain, Beyond andò many others are indies? No, but Insomniac and Quantic Dream are independent, just like Ovosonico. It’s the same thing for Hohokum, The Unfinished Swan, Counterspy, Rain, Helldivers, Resogun, Dead Nation, Velocity, Alienation, Rime, When Vikings Attack, Super Stardust, Escape Plan, The Hungry Horde etc.

zalwelgoedgaan 29 August, 2014 @ 5:48 pm

Nowadays they sell little voucher cards for PSN content/DLC etc., including PSN games like Rain, Pac-Man and Resogun. They might try it with Murasaki Baby, but let’s not push our luck here. We’ll see how this game does.

We need to tell Vita owners to buy this game though, don’t let it die like Tearaway.

madmanwithabox12 30 August, 2014 @ 9:11 pm

This is a digital only game. Suck it up and buy the game, it’s cheap enough for what it offers. It looks incredible and if you’re limiting yourself from experiencing a great game like this because it’s digital only, then that’s really your loss. This game deserves better than that. How can you be such an avid supporter of Vita and then be so against picking this game up digitally?

Archacus 31 August, 2014 @ 8:23 am

@madmanwitbox12
    Oh? I don’t have any reason to support game not supported by SONY.

Child Of Light was released with nice retail, so why not Murasaki Baby? I am supporting by buying retail editions, and I have long queue of game I want to buy.

Natural Doctrine -> Danganronpa 1/2 -> Disgaea 4 -> Freedom Wars (2x just like I promised) -> Tales of Hearts R -> htol#niq (also getting retail in Europe, check it! you might like it! Q4) -> Akiba’s Trip (not really my thing but still I support retails) -> and I hope for SAO retail 😉

Did I forget about anything? Probably I did. But see that’s plenty of games to buy, so I don’t have any reason to buy deficient digital product… I mean… why? when I can buy all those retails? So yeah I will save on that not supported by SONY product to buy the rest of games.

If I am forced to pick who will I support with my money, that would be NISA not SCEE.

madmanwithabox12 31 August, 2014 @ 5:25 pm

How in the blue hell is Murasaki Baby not being supported by Sony? It’s being done as part of their external development branch with Ovosonico and as far as I understand it, it’s a first party IP for Sony Computer Entertainment. Sony are literally helping to fund and make the game exclusively on Vita. How are they not supporting it? Some games are digital. Not every game has to be physical you know. Vita is by and large, a digital platform! Yet you’re saying you don’t want to support one of the few exclusives Vita is going to get.

It’s £8 for what looks like an incredible and unique experience you can only get on Vita. Dismissing it for no physical release is beyond stupid, considering it’s a very small game to begin with. It’s not going to leave much of a dent on a 4GB card, let alone 64GB.

I’m all for physical versions of games, but sometimes you need to realise it doesn’t serve every game. Murasaki Baby is would make most of its sales digitally, just like Child of Light (which really should have been digital only as it would have made more money back, instead of losing money to produce physical copies that nobody bought). Some games are inherently digital games. Others aren’t. Murasaki Baby is a digital game, through and through.

@madmanwithabox12
    Vita is not digital device.
    IT is not in Japan.
    It is not in NA
    ANd it is not in EU, even if they want to force us.

Yes 8 GBP for digital game for me is a lot! Sorry for not living in UK where people earn much more than in Eastern Europe. Let me use my own money however I want. It’s not like I am not supporting Vita, I’m going to buy all of those games I mentioned. Will you? I DO!

When I know that I will have games which are more worthy of MY money, it is obvious that I will save it to buy those which makes more sense to me. If someone is doing more to please me, than of course I’m going to support that somebody.

If they don’t want my money, than I won’t give them. Simple as that.

And no I’m not charity to buy games simply because those are from SCEE… I don’t know why some people expect us to do that, if you really want to support it that much than go ahead and buy 10 copies. I don’t care. But don’t try to force me to do it. Because I have better options to spend my hard earned money on.

The logic of these comments escapes me.

“I’m not going to buy Game X because it’s digital”

Why?

“I like Discs and Boxes”

Discs and Boxes cost money to make. That results in a more expensive product. They have to be manufactured – and if they manufacture the wrong amount, they make a huge financial loss.

Indie titles are digital because that’s the only way they can make money without the risk of the studio going bankrupt.

Be realistic, it doesn’t make financial sense to put a 500MB game on an 8GB Disc and spend extra cash on a bunch of plastic in the hope of getting a few extra sales.

Definitely looking forward to this one.

September is a bit vague but… not much longer to wait I guess. 🙂

ummagummachild 29 August, 2014 @ 7:39 pm   5

One of the most awaited #psvita title of the year. My niece watched the trailor and cant stop asking about this baby whose lips are at the forehead and who walk wierdly. The artwork and colors are brilliant and will look at iys best on my OLED lit vita. Keep up d good work and wish u luck

thekillingspree 29 August, 2014 @ 7:49 pm   6

Great video, good enough to get us even more excited for the game! This has been one of my most anticipated Vita games of the year. It’s so dark and quirky, it’s just right up my alley 😀

thekillingspree 29 August, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

… And it’s a Vita exclusive, which is extra awesome! Please keep it that way and don’t pull a Tearaway on it in the not so distant future… Vita needs its exclusives, like Baby needs her balloon.

HomessaHomem 30 August, 2014 @ 11:06 am   7

I NEED THIS IN MY VITA!

Finka_Karfein 1 September, 2014 @ 8:53 am   8

Day one purchase. Or pre-order. This games looks too awesome to miss it. Especially when there aren’t many PS Vita exclusives around.

But I’m pretty sure they may release it for PS4 in the future thanks to the touchpad on DualShock 4.