Posted

Platformer Run Sackboy! Run! announced for PS Vita and mobile devices

A brand new portable mini-adventure to get you prepped for LittleBigPlanet 3

Hello PlayStation Blog! I’m Tom O’Connor, Senior Producer in the LittleBigPlanet Production team at Sony XDev Europe. As well as putting the finishing touches to LittleBigPlanet 3 on PS3 and PS4, we have also been busy working on a brand new handcrafted (and handheld) mini-adventure. Run Sackboy! Run! is a free-to-play platform-survival game built exclusively for PS Vita iOS and Android mobile devices, in which you can earn exclusive costumes for LBP3.

The Negativitron (that big nasty vacuum cleaner who sucks up all the creativity) is back, wreaking havoc on Craftworld and nipping at the heels of our very own Sackboy! Using simple tap and swipe gestures, you get to speed through three iconic worlds from the LittleBigPlanet series – The Gardens, The Canyons and Avalonia, evading danger for as long you can.

15130314451_a80ac67d01_o

Anyone can enjoy the game, but as Sackboy charges along at top speed, you’re going to need super-quick reactions to keep him on course and out of trouble.

Collect as many bubbles as you can as you speed through Craftworld, and then use your bubbles to buy special costumes and upgrades. Each of the costumes in the game have built-in score multipliers, meaning you won’t only look snazzy but you can get higher scores too.

15132915752_b231ab1a37_o14946742667_913a1fc612_o15110297396_bc0190b591_o

You can challenge your friends using the game’s built-in social features and scoreboards. There are loads of power-ups too, including a Jet Pack, Shield and Magnet, plus my personal favourite, the Glider. You also have a mission ladder system, meaning there are always new objectives and challenges each time you play.

There are tons of stickers to collect too, and an in-game Sticker Book to keep them all nice and tidy. As you complete collections of stickers you will unlock special rewards. And you won’t want to miss out on the exclusive costumes for LittleBigPlanet 3 which you will be able to gad about in when the game is released later this year on PS4 and PS3.

14946642820_8bb00de890_o

The game is scheduled for release this October, and will be available on PS Vita, Apple iOS and Android. We can’t wait to tell you more about the game soon!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

55 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

More Sackboy?
Yes, please!

How much will it cost? Free, I hope!

ste_the_legend 4 September, 2014 @ 3:15 pm   2

Sounds cool, I’m looking forward to trying it out. Just as long as it isn’t full of micro-transactions like Jetpack Joyride, which this reminds me of.

KingKjellboy 4 September, 2014 @ 7:47 pm

Jetpack Joyride was addictive, but the whole microtransactions BS could’ve been left out. I hate microtransactions.

Looks interesting. Is the Vita version the same as the mobile or does it have anything extra; similarly will the Vita version be priced the same as the mobile versions?

PS Vita and mobile devices…

Not interested.

Why would anyone be happy that he is getting on expensive and superior device named VITA thing which can be played on mobile phone? Why? The similar thing with recent Square Enix… ports of mobile phone games? Really?!

It is like one giant slap in the face, I didn’t buy it to play games which are available on mobile phones, or even worse ported from mobile phones. And I’m quite sure that game will have lots of simplifications just because it is multiplatform game which must be easy to play on mobile phone.

NO THANK YOU.

I feel insulted…

zalwelgoedgaan 4 September, 2014 @ 3:21 pm

This is basically a marketing tool for LBP3, on mobile devices that is. It’s relatively harmless and because it’s free to play, more people are willing to check it out.

We still got plenty of Vita games coming. :p Sometimes the best Vita games can also be multiplat or Cross-buy.

@zalwelgoedgaan
    Ok… I wouldn’t mind if it was available on Vita via PSM… that’s the rational thing.

I mean that’s why PSM is there, right?

But marketing tool…. well… for mobile phones I agree! But there is no vita owner who doesn’t know LBP! That’s simply no possible! Rather than application for Vita/Phones… I’d rather them to focus on making games.

New LBP for VITA? YES PLEASE!

mobile phones application? no… it is insulting.

@zalwelgoedgaan
    But yeah I agree that plenty of Vita games are coming! I’m not denying it! I’m happy owner of Vita… but not happy with what SCE and 1st party studios are doing for Vita.

zalwelgoedgaan 4 September, 2014 @ 3:38 pm

Yeah, true. At least LBP fans get updates/games frequently.

All my favorite franchises are either dead or stay in Japanese. :/

Who needs Vita if the remote play is even on phones (Xperia Z3). Vita has no games and now there is no functionality.
    Good work Sony!

zalwelgoedgaan 4 September, 2014 @ 3:55 pm

Sony’s divisions work past eachother, basically. They always have been, there’ve been many articles in the past.

Hence why I thought it was weird that it was such a big deal that Sony Pictures started ‘working together’ with PlayStation.

@zip_czdz
    I beg your pardon!

VITA HAS GAMES! Lots of good games! I would be even happy getting only NISA games. But the problem is those games don’t get spotlight, and SCEE and 1st party studios are doing nothnig for Vita.

madmanwithabox12 4 September, 2014 @ 4:07 pm

Chill out man. It’s literally a small side-project to compliment LBP3. They could have just given us nothing. You’re really giving Vita owners a bad name with how you keep trashing every developer that makes a game for it because of some minor, petty and illogical reason.

If this is “insulting” to you, then you really need to grow up and face the real world.

@madmanwithabox12
    Sadly people like you (who need to justify every single thing because they think that their whiteknighting is needed to defend Vita) are the problem for the rest of us, who love Vita but demand from SCE something more. I wouldn’t even say anything if it was marked as PlayStation Mobile game… after all that’s why PSM is there to play mobile games. And it should have been PSM title to let people with PSM play it.

But trying to convince us that getting a Vita version of mobile phone game is something good… is insulting. Because it is not. Only naive kid will buy that kind of story.

And no matter how small project it is, it still takes a lot of time. And that time should have been used to do something better. Do you really think that anyone will buy PS4/Vita just because of F2P LBP title for mobile phones? I mean those who have PS4 or Vita probably don’t need to be encouraged more to try LBP.

zalwelgoedgaan 4 September, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

Well Arcie, it’s up to all of us to support Sony’s upcoming first party Vita titles, like Freedom Wars.

Vita Pets can take a hike though, wouldn’t download it even if it was free for PS+.

madmanwithabox12 4 September, 2014 @ 4:49 pm

No Archacus. YOU need to understand a few things.

1) Not every game has to be a system seller.

2) You over react every single time, saying things like you’re insulted or you want to spit on Square Enix. It’s too much.

3) Trashing developers with broken English is no way to be heard or be taken seriously.

4) Not every game is meant for you. Different strokes for different folks. You won’t like every game.

5) You don’t speak for the entire Vita community, as much as you might like to think you do.

6) What else could this team do? XDev are working on Fat Princess: Piece of Cake, Run Sackboy Run and LittleBigPlanet 3 all at the same time. They just finished Hohokum a few weeks ago. Cut them some slack.

7) The ONLY alternative to having this game on Vita is NOT having it on Vita.

8) You think that not having this game on Vita automatically means we’d have something else in it’s place? Because we wouldn’t. It just means we’d have even LESS games to play on Vita.

@zalwelgoedgaan
    Arcie? That’s probably me… right?

Yup I agree! But still I demand SCEE to support their own games. I will pick up 2 copies of Freedom Wars! I don’t know what I will do with the second one, but I just feel that it’s the right thing to do. Also I kinda feel that that’ how I can say thank you to great guys like Mr. Nick Accordino.

But I’m not going to support games not supported by SCEE. If Oreshika will turn out to be digital only, than sorry I’m not buying. Because I don’t need to buy games, where SCEE doesn’t care about what we want. I will use that money to buy another NISA game, simple as that.

Also yeah… Vita pets…. not really….

@madmanwithabox12
    Huh… my post just went to moderation…. ow well 😛

The gist of it: I don’t really plan to argue with you but you are mistaken about lots of things.

Even though…. just let’s say sorry to each other and end this boring quarrel.

Sorry

btw. overreact* not over react

@madmanwithabox12

“Not every game has to be a system seller.”
    so, which game since the beginning of 2014 is system seller for eu or us?

Robinworldwide 4 September, 2014 @ 10:58 pm

It’s funny how you call the vita an expensive and superior device when most people have phones that are double the price of a vita and have a lot more functionalities.

Although i fully agree that vita needs more system sellers and i feel a bit cheated by sony that they don’t even give it first party support, it’s kinda weird that you find a reason to complain about something that’s free to play. Don’t like it? Don’t play it. You should realize there are people out there who do want to play this and that not everything revolves about you and your needs and wishes.

Robinworldwide 4 September, 2014 @ 11:01 pm

My post was @archacus obviously and spelling correction: *revolves around.

Thanks for that edit button scee, really handy!

Jagerlbomb 5 September, 2014 @ 11:03 am

Sorry Archacus, but what Madmanwithabox12 said does seem to apply to a lot of posts you make (That I’ve seen at least). You definitely aren’t wrong about Sony and their support for the Vita platform, but the way you articulate your responses comes off incredibly whiny, egocentric and entitled. Granted a company isn’t likely to listen to a few individuals on a forum, but they are least likely to listen to people like this.

Also, please stop ‘speaking’ for all of us. I understand why you do it; words have more of an impact when you are speaking for a ‘group’ (you always seem to imply you represent a large majority/all Vita owners), but time and time again there are plenty of people (the one’s you imply you represent) that have the opposing view to you.

If you want to feel insulted, feel insulted by that, because honestly, I feel insulted whenever you imply to be speaking for me. If I have an opinion on something, I’ll post it, just as I’m sure others will. We really don’t need you putting your agenda and words in our metaphorical mouths, especially when it could (although unlikely) affect outcomes that will negatively impact us (Like your physical or don’t bother releasing agenda/view).

@Jagerlbomb
    “Whiny, egocentric and entitled” that’s not nice…

And yet… correct me if I’m wrong… it was both of you who demanded that people should buy digital products just because you want more digital games. Isn’t that… egocentrism?

Oh? And where did I told that I am speaking on behalf of everyone? I clearly said “I” didn’t I?
    “I didn’t buy it […]” and “I feel insulted” if what you are trying accuse me would be right, than it would make more sense for me to use “we”.

What’s even more funny, the ones who tend to usurp that they are speaking on behalf of everyone are you guys. Wasn’t it @madmanwithabox12 who said that I’m giving bad name for all Vita owners? Doesn’t seem true to me… I mean I’m not that foolish to look at number of upvotes (because most of times those doesn’t seem to be true) but still it seems that some people did agree with me. Though I can’t say how many. But still… I don’t consider myself as speaking on behalf of those people.

And you are doing exactly the same thing, you try to identify yourself as supreme being named “all vita owners”. You see I never ever said, that I’m speaking on behalf of every Vita owner… but when you felt that I allegedly speak on behalf of some group of Vita owners… you just couldn’t accept that there could be someone who doesn’t think like “all Vita owners” meaning “you”

Isn’t that true? 🙂

Huh… I find it funny when people try to tell me that I am too offensive by insulting me…. don’t you think that sermons like that are boring?

“Man verdirbt einen Jüngling am sichersten, wenn man ihn anleitet, den Gleichdenkenden höher zu achten, als den Andersdenkenden” 😉

Oh and btw. I would be grateful if you would just use your main account.

dylanwiggan 4 September, 2014 @ 3:20 pm   5

Will you be able to create and share you own levels? Not really LBP without that feature…

zalwelgoedgaan 4 September, 2014 @ 3:24 pm

Haven’t read anything about level sharing. This seems more about getting exclusive costumes for LBP3 and stickers and stuff.

NEEEEEED 😛

CRASHBASHUK 4 September, 2014 @ 4:02 pm   7

any news on the LBP3 store pre-order yet?

madmanwithabox12 4 September, 2014 @ 4:04 pm   8

It’s about time one of the mobile games based on a Sony IP came to Vita. The fact we didn’t get Ratchet & Clank: Before the Nexus, PlayStation All-Stars Island or PS Vita Pets: Puppy Parlour is pretty inexcusable. They may not even be great games or whatever, but you’d rather put them on mobiles than on Vita… I think not, Sony. Cut that out. Now.

On a more positive note, thanks XDev for giving Vita some love. Free-to-play LBP runner is fine in my book, especially with unlockable costumes.

I have a question regarding those costumes: Will they be compatible with the other versions of LBP as well (LBP2, LBP Vita and LBP Karting) or are they only LBP3? Cause that would be disappointing if it’s the latter. =/

zalwelgoedgaan 4 September, 2014 @ 4:13 pm

All-Stars Island was AIDS, though. Good riddance.

madmanwithabox12 4 September, 2014 @ 4:17 pm

Yeah, like I say. The games might not always have been great. It’s the principal that bothers me. The fact that Sony would rather put those games on mobile devices than their own handheld, which is supposed to be part of the PlayStation Mobile family… that’s what bugs me. They don’t even put their mobile games on Vita.

zalwelgoedgaan 4 September, 2014 @ 4:24 pm

Maybe the Cola deal prevented it from being released on the Vita, who knows.

It’s sad how the Vita is treated in certain ways, I use mine like every day. :/ I’m even more sad that dedicated gamers are just flocking to smart phones and don’t look back on traditional consoles and handhelds. Never imagined it would be THIS many, really.

At least there are many games to play, unlike my Wii U which is collecting more dust than the trash you see in an antique store.

Tom O'Connor 4 September, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

Hey
    Costumes for Sackboy unlocked through the game will be available for LBP2 , LBP3, LBP Vita and Karting! LBP3 exclusives will feature the new characters, Toggle, OddSock and Swoop.

madmanwithabox12 4 September, 2014 @ 9:15 pm

Oh, that’s good to hear! =)

Kinda reminds me of Joe Danger but with Sackboy!

loadstone007s 4 September, 2014 @ 4:16 pm   10

Looks nice and all, but I’d like another LBP game for Vita 🙁

madmanwithabox12 4 September, 2014 @ 4:19 pm

Why another one? The one we have is pretty definitive. You won’t be able to do a game with more layers and characters like LBP 3 on Vita. It’s just too much. Vita doesn’t need another LBP, it already has it’s own ultimate LittleBigPlanet experience.

Hybrid_Decisions 4 September, 2014 @ 4:41 pm

They should add more levels to LBP Vita, the community is dwindling and needs reviving.

True…
    Another LBP or LBP spin-off would be good choice… instead of mobile app.

I’d like to see….hmmm…. something like…
    LBP RPG that could be fun! True RPG game with LBP universe and sackboys +sackgirls! I mean there is much more to do with LBP. Take a look at LBP Karting, that was good idea! Why not make similar games?

I want LBP3 on the Vita, LVPV was better then LBP2, PS3 getting LBP3 but not the Vita!? Why is that?

I hope this F2P isn’t happening in LBP3.

zalwelgoedgaan 4 September, 2014 @ 10:54 pm

I think that LittleBigPlanet Hub thing is quietly canceled. For the best, F2P LBP is stupid.

European_Gamer 5 September, 2014 @ 8:54 am   13

Is XDdev making this game alone or are you making it with someone else.

threestepguide 5 September, 2014 @ 2:20 pm   14

Is Little Big Planet Hub still alive?

Tom O'Connor 7 September, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

We are focussing on LBP3 for console right now to be sure it’s great and to ensure everyone will love it.
    It’s a big job to make it extra special for you all 🙂

MaxDiehard 7 September, 2014 @ 8:49 pm

You’re avoiding the question. He asked about LittleBigPlanet Hub, not LBP3.

He’s focusing on LBP3. That seems like enough to say that they are not working on LBP Hub.

European_Gamer 6 September, 2014 @ 1:17 pm   15

Hopefully the mobile versions of games like Fat Princess and Run Sackboy! Run! will bring more gamers to the PlayStation consoles.

zlovkvetinaci 9 September, 2014 @ 1:39 am   16

Please bring LBP3 or LBP Hub to Vita.