Posted

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth PS4 & PS Vita release date confirmed

Edmund McMillen’s brilliantly dark roguelike arrives on PS Store this November

Hello again! It’s me, Tyrone Rodriguez, janitor at Nicalis, Inc. and producer on Legend of Raven (coming to PS4 and PS Vita) as well as The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (coming to PS4 and PS Vita on 5th November!), which I’ll be talking about today.

If you’re not familiar with The Binding of Isaac, it combines elements of The Legend of Zelda and Smash TV with the roguelike genre. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth literally features hundreds of items, weapons and power-ups all wrapped-up in an arcade-like experience. The game is designed by this guy, Edmund McMillen:

15139773491_41189e47e2_o

And he said, “it’ll be awesome to finally give console players a chance to experience the weirdest thing I’ve ever made.” I’ve been working with him for two years and have to agree.

OK, so let’s get into it.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth features over 500 hours of gameplay (not marketing fluff, it’ll take you at least this long to unlock all the secrets in the game). Each run will be different because the enemies, rooms, levels and drops are all randomly generated. Every time you beat the game or die and start a new game it’ll be all-new and fresh.

Along the way you’re going to find over 450 items/weapons/power-ups and general pick-ups that affect Isaac in various ways.

BOSSES, ENEMIES and more BOSSES

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth features over 50 bosses, including a whole bunch of new ones as well as retunes on previous bosses. What we’ve done with the bosses is give them more variety and create boss behaviors versus patterns. What that means is that although bosses will behave a certain way, we’ve added a layer of complexity that will make them more fun to fight and kill!

WEAPONS and COMBOS

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has a unique weapon combo system. When you pick up a weapon upgrade, then another and another, it’s not unlikely that the various attributes of those weapons will merge and modify to create a new (hopefully) better weapon.

Have a look below:

14956294037_7ff24649be_o

Anyone who’s played the classic vertical shooter Raiden may be familiar with this kind of weapon. In The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, your weapons will stack. To get this fancy homing laser you need to find Technology, which is the laser and then also find Spoon Bender. The latter weapon lets certain others defy the laws of physics and home in on multiple enemies. AWESOME.

And here’s Ludovic with Brimstone:

15142469532_42a2af2f8e_o

If you’re old enough to enlist in the military, then you may want to watch this. Be warned, it’s not for everywhere and probably not work-safe. You have been warned!

By the way, I’m here for you! I’m open to questions, suggestions and general feedback; let me know if you’d like to see more posts related to The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth here and we’ll break away more of the mystery.

Got questions? Hit me up via the comments below.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

27 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Finally! Can’t wait for it, everyone should try it, since it will be PS+ game ( unless they canceled that idea )

been waiting for this 🙂

so thats this driveclub ps+ next month we are one title away from knowing the full line up already

Not really, this one is for November.

driveclub does not count has an IGC game

DoYouLikeMyID 6 September, 2014 @ 4:01 pm

@ZeB6pt

As far as I remember, they just said Driveclub PS+ Edition won’t be the only PS4 IGC game that month. They never said it won’t count as an IGC game (as far as I know at least). They may just have known beforehand that the service would change to two PS4 games every month.

zalwelgoedgaan 5 September, 2014 @ 6:19 pm   4

“Got questions? Hit me up via the comments below.”

……….

…I’d tell you that you’re a bunch of sick weirdos after watching that trailer, but you’d probably love it, hm? :/

Bgjknpqswvyu 5 September, 2014 @ 6:28 pm   5

Been looking forward to this for awhile now, so pleased that’s it’s coming soon. Is VVVVVV still coming to Vita by the way? And any dates soon for 1001 Spikes in EU? Kind Regards.

darkswabber 5 September, 2014 @ 6:33 pm   6

I’ve got a question…
Is it still going to be free through plus as promised? (I was planning to buy it if not, but since it will release in november I will have to wait, way to many games)

mitchbel1996 5 September, 2014 @ 6:48 pm   7

Wasn’t this game confirmed to be on PlayStation Plus’ Instant Game Collection at launch?

More news on Isaac would be great!

500 HOURS? sheeeesh ! i’m in !

ThreeWallzz 5 September, 2014 @ 7:15 pm   10

now that’s a meaty game!

JUMPhil_JcB 5 September, 2014 @ 7:22 pm   11

I’m so freaking hyped for this game, it’s been almost 2 years since the announcement.

BTW, wouldn’t it be a great point to release 1001 Spikes in EU now? 😀

YES! YES! YES!FINALY! I love the original so much. This is one of my “most wanted” titel of the last yearSSS! I am not the biggest fan of indies. But this game is so awsome that it is no indie game anymore. Just give me minecraft and I am happy untill you release ps now.

I’m so looking forward to playing this on my console. Spent a lot of time with the PC version, and i’ll certainly be plowing more time into this version. Can you give us any indication what the Binding of Isaac trophies will be like Tyrone? I don’t want anything too ball-bustingly difficult please 🙂

5th of November is the right date for PS+

transpondster 5 September, 2014 @ 9:23 pm   15

Please, don’t forget about 1001 Spikes for us, European folks!

Having this game on a portable device is the reason I own a Vita now.

I literally cannot wait.

If you really can release Isaac at the same time both NA and EU, bring us 1001 Spikes too.

I was really waiting for 1001 Spikes for Vita to test my skills (and prepared to fail horribly). Since it’s PSN game, I can’t import it. And when you finally release it, please release it in whole PAL region. It would break my heart if we finally “got it” but still couldn’t play it. 🙁

add a platinum trophy please

HomessaHomem 6 September, 2014 @ 12:35 pm   19

I NEED THIS IN MY VITA!

This game is the main reason I bought a Vita. Also Spelunky HD, but my love for the Binding of Isaac is just a tad stronger, so a bigger and better version of an already perfect game is going to be epic!

residentSteve 7 September, 2014 @ 7:57 am   21

Has this game got anything to do with dead space lol.

somsubhrabhattac 7 September, 2014 @ 2:09 pm   22

That trailer alone is worth the price of the game. And you thought ‘sackboy’ was for kids.

It was revealed that it’s going to be a PS Plus game in November for PS4 and Vita.