PlayStation Store charts, August: inFAMOUS: First Light & Diablo III: RoS fight it out

Find out what the big sellers were on PlayStation Store last month

As summer draws to a close and we start edging into blockbuster season, it’s time to look back and see which titles were flying off the virtual shelves of PlayStation Store in August. See below to find out where new entries inFAMOUS First Light, Surgeon Simulator, Counterspy, Sword Art Online and Diablo III: Reaper of Souls debuted.

1. The Last of Us Remastered (1)
  2. inFAMOUS First Light (New)
  3. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – Ultimate Evil Edition (New)
  4. Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty (2)
  5. Battlefield 4 (11)
  6. Surgeon Simulator: Anniversary Edition (New)
  7. Trials Fusion (4)
  8. Pure Pool (15)
  9. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (RE)
  10. Need for Speed Rivals (18)
  11. Outlast (8)
  12. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (RE)
  13. Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare (New)
  14. FIFA 14 (9)
  15. Rogue Legacy (7)
  16. Worms Battlegrounds (13)
  17. CounterSpy (New)
  18. Octodad: Dadliest Catch (RE)
  19. Metro Redux (New)
  20. Cel Damage HD (RE)

PS Vita

1. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (New)
  2. Assassin’s Creed III Liberation (5)
  3. Rogue Legacy (New)
  4. Soul Sacrifice Delta (19)
  5. The Walking Dead: Season Two (2)
  6. Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition (RE)
  7. The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season (7)
  8. God of War Collection (17)
  9. FIFA 14 (16)
  10. Table Top Racing (New)
  11. Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (RE)
  12. Borderlands 2 (4)
  13. Terraria (12)
  14. Need for Speed Most Wanted (RE)
  15. Asphalt Injection (R
  16. Mortal Kombat (RE)
  17. CounterSpy (New)
  18. Persona 4 Golden (RE)
  19. SteamWorld Dig (RE)
  20. F1 2011 (RE)

1. Minecraft (1)
  2. The Walking Dead: Season Two (2)
  3. Far Cry 3 (10)
  4. Grand Theft Auto V (16)
  5. Red Dead Redemption (RE)
  6. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – Ultimate Evil Edition (New)
  7. Max Payne 3 (RE)
  8. FIFA 14 (RE)
  9. Need for Speed Most Wanted (RE)
  10. Battlefield 4 (RE)
  11. Tomb Raider (RE)
  12. Borderlands 2 (RE)
  13. BioShock Infinite (RE)
  14. Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare (New)
  15. The Wolf Among Us (9)
  16. Soulcalibur V (RE)
  17. The Last of Us (RE)
  18. One Piece: Pirate Warriors (RE)
  19. Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag (RE)
  20. Injustice: Gods Among Us (RE)

PS one and PS2 Classics

1. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (8)
  2. Crash Bandicoot (1)
  3. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (3)
  4. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (5)
  5. CTR: Crash Team Racing (7)
  6. Canis Canem Edit (9)
  7. Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 Bundle (RE)
  8. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (RE)
  9. Spyro The Dragon Trilogy (10)
  10. Final Fantasy VII (2

Did you enjoy this?

60 Comments 11 Author replies
Show oldest first
renaultmilton 8 September, 2014 @ 2:05 pm   1

Oh my god! MINECRAFT STILL TOPS IN PS3 SALES!!! 😀 Why?! 🙂 (Sadly that the PS4 version not tops in 1)

zalwelgoedgaan 8 September, 2014 @ 2:50 pm

Wait until next month, then we’ll see September sales and Minecraft PS4 in the charts.

The success of Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment surprises me. From 21 reviews just one rated the game above 80%. Are RPG fans on the Vita just so desperate or are there so many fans of the brand?

What’s up with the weekend debate and the weekly blog summary / option to ask general questions and give feedback?
It seems as if one after the other, traditional blog elements get axed lately.

How the last 2 months’ Plus feedback was “handled” wasn’t really satisfying either. There simply was nothing at all.

Fred Dutton 8 September, 2014 @ 2:15 pm

Alas, I think after 3-4 years of loyal service, Weekend Debate has run its course. I’ll look to bring in some kind of replacement asap though. I’m open to suggestions! Weekly recap – that has taken a bit of a summer holiday, I’ll admit. It’ll be back. In the meantime, feel free to ask general questions in any post with my name on it, or via Twitter @FredDutton. I can’t promise I’ll be able to answer everything, but I’ll do my best.

last time i asked you a question on twitter golwar mocked me lol 🙂

How about instead of Weekend Debate just post simple polls? You know asking for a simple things…

“what type of games would you like to see on X platform”
    “are you happy with the shape of Vita today”
    “do you prefer digital or physical releases”
    “how much do you play at consoles weekly”
    “do you try to get platinium trophies”

you know simple questions… maybe even results should be hidden.

But I think it would be nice tool for collecting data. And yeah… people want to be vocal about things, so I think that some would like it.

Fred Dutton 8 September, 2014 @ 2:29 pm

@hayzink Mr Golwar’s bark is generally worse than his bite 😉
    @archacus Not a bad suggestion – thanks!

X_Blood_Curse_X 8 September, 2014 @ 2:33 pm

Yeah I was quite annoyed to see the Playstation plus feedback poll went missing, probably because 90% (myself included) think the last couple of months have been pretty garbage

X_Blood_Curse_X 8 September, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

Any chance of an awful lego game for Vita next month? I just can’t get enough of them

No surprise, as I never bite!
    And even my barks are more of a polite “Hey dude, I see you and what you are doing. Or not doing!” 😉

I think I would replace the debates simply by little private reports what people played and what they liked about it. Wouldn’t require the constant search for new topics and it might interest people for new games.
    Maybe with restriction that it should fit within one tweet? Slogans ftw!

European_Gamer 8 September, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

I have seen 5, 8+ reviews for Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment.

X_Blood_Curse_X 8 September, 2014 @ 2:13 pm   3

Give us our 10% plus discount on the Rising star games sale! Who cares what sold the most?

ten-bucks 8 September, 2014 @ 2:27 pm

I don’t think you’ll get a reply from anyone on the blog as there not good at answering difficult questions they don’t know the answer to especially the rising star plus discount or the minecraft fiasco. you’ll get the company response- call the help desk or ill look into it. 300 comments on minecraft issues and 17 responses (not helping much) says it all. It’s infuriating

SAO at the top… well that’s nice news. I hope that they will release it with nice retail, as one of Bandai Namco mods said that’s not impossible. So yeah… I do hope that they will release it with all DLCs in nice box.

@Fred Dutton
Anyway, sorry to bother you with the same topic over and over again. But there are some people who are kinda disturbed by lack of any news regarding Oreshika. That’s a great game! And people say that it is one of best classic style jRPGs… so yeah, it would be nice to have retail of it…. BUT there is one more thing. You should advertise it! Write few articles about game. Make people aware that this game is coming and it is worth waiting for it. BECAUSE IT IS WORTH WAITING FOR.

So please… we would be greatful for any kind of news regarding that game. I and probably some other will be quite angry if you will just drop news one month before release that game is coming soon + digital only. That would be… well… not nice.

True we still don’t know when it will come… but than again… it would be kinda sad to see so big potential wasted by lack of advertising. So please! Write about that game as much as you can! 5-6 articles would be nice!

and one more thing! Any news about when pre-orders for Freedom Wars will start? Well… I know that on there is product page… but it doesn’t seem like they have full info. And they don’t say anything about day-1 bonuses.

Fred Dutton 8 September, 2014 @ 2:26 pm

As soon as I have anything Oreshika-related to share, it will be posted here on the PS Blog. I’m not sitting on anything – I just don’t have any news for you at present I’m afraid.

Freedom Wars – you should start seeing physical pre-orders go live any day now. Individual retailers generally decide when to go live with their pages, so it might vary depending on who you prefer to shop with.

Ok ok… I know that it’s not up to you… I mean that you need to have some sort of info from developer team to share it with us… I understand it… but yeah… I just don’t want to be surprised by announcement saying “be happy next week Oreshika will be released as digital only, don’t like it? deal with it because it is too late to change anything”. And yeah I understand that’s not your fault… I’m just saying ok?

Huh… about Freedom Wars… I’d love to just pre-order it now 🙁 But ow well, I will have to wait few more days. I will pre-order even 2 copies!

HomessaHomem 8 September, 2014 @ 2:49 pm

Thunderlizzard 8 September, 2014 @ 2:19 pm   5

I would have added one to the Diablo III count on PS4 if not for the daft price of £59.99.

When it’s £44 retail there’s no way we should be paying £60 digital.

Price parity for digital and retail… pretty please!!

bnightstar 8 September, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

I buy digital only if price is better then retail (sales) or if the version is not available locally. But I have to admit that digital games are better as we only have 1 CD drive.

Would be nice to see Counterspy priced the same as it is on android, £3!

lumoplusjess 8 September, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

I think Digital prices on new games are not really Sony’s fault, they have to keep retail stores happy otherwise they wont stock the console and accessories, if Sony undercuts them (or even equals) on price then everyone is going to go digital only, game stores will die and not be able to sell consoles.

How comes on vita when launch prices are the same as retail (as retail doesn’t care about the vita anymore, sony can get away with the same price) everyone begs for a physical release over digital? No one is ever happy

zalwelgoedgaan 8 September, 2014 @ 3:03 pm

@Thuggie: The Android version of Counterspy is neutered; it doesn’t have the same amount of content as the PS versions, hence the lower price.

Thanks for the heads up didn’t realise they were different.

Hey Fred, can you please help me out with a question regarding Vita/PS4 remote play? I’m not getting anywhere with it but I know I am not alone…

I just want to know if there is anyway, or if there ever will be anyway, for me to chat whilst playing on remote play? For a game such as Destiny, remote play is great! But it is also extremely restricted considering how team based it is.

This goes for pretty much any other team based game also… Thanks!

Fred Dutton 8 September, 2014 @ 2:27 pm

That’s a good question. Unfortunately I don’t think there is an easy solution at present.

That’s a real shame :/ hopefully some kind of update pops up eventually. Without chat, remote play is no way near as good as it could be, which is a shame, since it is pretty damn good.

loadstone007s 8 September, 2014 @ 3:14 pm

@oggsy92 (can’t seem to be able to reply directly)
    There IS a solution for this. Use wireless headphones like the Sony Gold Wireless Headset and you’re good to go (you need however to be not extremely far from your PS4).

It works and it’s glorious.

im glad first light did well.

i really liked it and thought fetch was a better lead than delsin.

great game short but worth the price

Is there any word on when the Heavenly Sword Movie will be released on the EU/UK playstation store, as it has already been released on the US playstation store?

supersmith2500 8 September, 2014 @ 2:43 pm   9

Fred. I do have some feedback but is it possible to have our version of the Drop?

Fred Dutton 8 September, 2014 @ 3:04 pm

Our Wednesday Store post is the equivalent of that. We have 20+ local stores and all the various regional pricing and localisation issues to manage, which is why SCEA are able to go with their post a little earlier than we are.

Maybe it’s time to split up those countries then

zalwelgoedgaan 8 September, 2014 @ 2:44 pm   10

How about art contests?

like for example… hmmm…. conceptual art contests? 🙂

I don’t want to brag but I might be way better than Duchamp 😉 I will create not one fountain but TWO fountains 😀

(yes I’m joking 🙂 but art contest would be quite nice… better than those timed ones)

HomessaHomem 8 September, 2014 @ 2:50 pm   11

Fred, where is 1001 Spikes?

whatever happened to the community features showing up on the blog.

im sure someone from the forum used to put up a post every so often telling people what was going on and getting people taking part in the playstation forums

what happened to that?

WayfaringWalrus 8 September, 2014 @ 4:03 pm   13

Might have looked a bit different if all of the discounts that were meant to be applied had actually been applied… just saying.

Binding of Isaac will be a PS Plus game in November for PS4 and Vita. Ehhh, please try harder, or at least make it one of Vita offerings, don’t waste a slot for PS4 with it >.>

Has anyone who played SAO run into translation problems and if so, will the upcoming patch fix them?

I don’t own SAO but I kind follow the issue…. so don’t take my words for granted, mkay?

So… there are indeed problems with translation. Most probably game was translated by team which localized game for Chinese market (mainly Hong Kong where English is one of the official languages). So most probably it is source of all of those simple mistakes in West version.

If English is not your native language, than PROBABLY those errors won’t disturb you… that much.

Will patch fix them… frankly speaking I don’t know (I hope so), Bandai Namco is kinda refusing to acknowledge the problem. On official page few people complained about it… and nobody replied…. if you want you can try asking once again here:

But maybe they gave some sort of reply on their twitter? dunno.

Even I, who am a huge fan of the game have to admit that the Engrish ish stlong in this one. It’s particularly true for the non-plot related segments such as the date conversations, and the whole thing has a certain level of slapdash about it, but it’s still very playable.

Some of the more heinous errors from the Chingrish version have been fixed such as the scene where Asuna stated that penetration would be easier with better equipment, or when a cafe patron complained about the ‘black man’ instead of the man dressed in black (I kid you not on either occasion), but a lot of the dialogue remains unfixed.

The overall impression is that Bamco never thought in their wildest dreams that this game would do well in the west, but as they had the subtitled version anyway for the wider Asia region, it cost them next to nothing to do a quick retouch and release it digitally as a test to see how well it would do. Hopefully the sales of this one will convince them that a little more investment and a physical release will be worth it for future games, and we’ll get more titles localised.

The patch adds 30+ hours of content, but I don’t believe it changes any of the dialogue. The game is fun, has good graphics and great mechanics, will last you 150+ hours and has a ton of content – it’s worth every penny if you can laugh at the occasional odd dialogue rather than get mad at it.

Thanks, I’ve been reading several reviews and some mention the problem while others don’t, which I found really weird! Anyway, maybe the sales figures will convince them to refine the text more (maybe a second patch?), or at the very least be more careful with their next projects…

matkingdomhearts 8 September, 2014 @ 5:25 pm   16

It’s such a shame what has became PS+ lately. I’ve joined Plus the month the IGC was implemented, and I fell in love with it the moment I’ve played my first “free” game: what a deal, for just 50€ 12 months full of adventures and some other great stuff… I was really enjoying it until one day, by pure chance, I’ve read a post in the US blog and I’ve discovered something that at first appeared so unfair: 50% off for Plus members on tons of titles, and some other gifts, too! I was so hurt by this until I’ve read what were they “free” games, and then I laughed at my naiveness: what they were good at we were bad, and vice versa… But the more time passed the less we could get from Plus. In my opinion it’s all started when the PS4 joined this premium club: online was no more free, it required a Plus membership – just like the green rival, which was mocked just a little early for the money needed in order to play online. The first hint of the changes that were going to happen was seen when they suddenly dropped the evergreen titles: often Sony exclusivities, these titles were ready to be bought(for free) and then downloaded at any time by any new Plus costumer, and the old ones as well. Time passed and we saw what the addition of the PS4 games really was: free indies, often useless, not necessarily bad for all the gamers , but for the majority yes – of course, there were some really good ones (Outlast is one of most praised from what I’ve read around). But was this enough to compensate for the lost of full games (most AAAs)? In my opinion no, and I think that it wouldn’t have been so difficult to add this feature without change anything: the money from the boom of subscriptions could have been spent on it. I know someone could say that they were spent to improve the online, but c’mon, we know that almost nothing has changed: bad store updates, maintenances too often and at such ridiculous time of the day most of the time, slow downloads (even with good internet speed); the only thing I can’t talk about is if they have improved the multiplayer – cause I’ve never tried – since with PS3 and vita it takes some time to join a friend/rival. Ok, bye evergreenies, but we had to say goodbye to another PS3 game too: from now on 2 games per system… well, you could say that if they are 2 great games we could be fine (not need for 2 AAA – since not all AAA are SO good in my opinion – just 2 good games).

matkingdomhearts 8 September, 2014 @ 5:26 pm

(2nd part)

Well, my dear friends, you speak the truth, but it’s not gonna happen: month after month the number of indies grew exponentially, and most of the games we are getting is a “5hours4funbutthenstopcauseitisgettigboring” and/or “itisnotthetypeofgamelotsofplayerswouldplay” type of game, and this is happening for all the systems. But let’s compare with the US, shall we? Do you remember when I’ve told you about our so much greater IGC? Well, now it’s the same, as asked so many times from US players, arguing that was unfair that we were treated in such a nice way: it all ended with crappy games for all! Ok than, bad for all, happiness to none… well, yeah and no, we are screwed twice: bad IGC AND bad deals. With this I am not talking about the price difference for the DD and retailer games (not gonna open such a complicated discussion now), I’m talking about the normal deals and, above all, the Plus discounts: if we are lucky enough to have those (cause not always happens), most of the time are 10% off, I’ve never seen a 50%, not even a 30/40%! And if there are, half the time they won’ get applied immediately, sometimes never (RisingStar sale, anyone?)! And what’s worse it’s that few to none explanations are given to costumers!
    So let’s recap guys why PS+ is not the lovely lover you would cheat on your girlfriend with anymore:
    -byebye evergreen titles
    -byebye 3 (if not more) games for PS3
    -byebye long and motley games
    -byebye free online
    -never welcomed good PS+ discounts
    … disappointing, isn’t it?

Good to see SAO:HF topping the PS Vita poll on both sides of the Atlantic. (The game has over 2100 ratings on the North American PSN already; even the mighty Persona 4 Golden “only” has around 4500. But then, that doesn’t account for physical game sales for P4G over here, so.)

It’ll be interesting to see how sales for the game hold up in September, not least with that major update on the way to Europe on the 24th.

And I’m hoping that its success might encourage Bamco to localize other games in the West, such as God Eater 2: Rage Burst (freshly announced in Japan for PS4 and Vita at the SCEJA press conference), Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Out of Order (another PS Vita anime tie-in), or the next SAO game (which has reportedly been green-lighted already, based on the strong Japanese sales of Hollow Fragment).

RyanSufc1997 8 September, 2014 @ 6:08 pm   18

Fred, I got something for you. So I bought the PS4 only version the moment it was out, in excitement, thinking I would be able to have the PS3 + Vita versions too. However I am found to be wrong and was wondering if there are plans for a “Upgrade/Downgrade” offer, as I am more than willing to pay for it if is the same price as the upgrade offer. I thank you for reading and replying.

Fred Dutton 9 September, 2014 @ 1:53 pm

I assume you’re talkign about Minecraft? As it stands, it’s only PS3 and PS Vita that are linked by Cross Buy. PS4 is a separate version with an upgrade option from PS3. Should this situation change as the PS Vita release approaches I will be sure to keep you updated.

RyanSufc1997 9 September, 2014 @ 9:05 pm

Ah I can’t believe I never even said the name… I am dumb. Yes, and thanks for replying (been asking questions on the blog for years first time I have had a reply!)

I literally ‘just’ got a PS3 so it’s a shame I can’t go back to last week and buy that then the upgrade! I wasn’t patient enough for the blog post on how to buy! Ah well I’m sure the vita version won’t be so long away and hopefully 4J are nice enough to realise I bought it (even had the 360 version too!)

Again thanks for answering!

European_Gamer 8 September, 2014 @ 6:12 pm   19

It’s good to see Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment on top of the Vita sales chart. I hope Japanese publishers learn from and release more games with English subtitles in Europe.

SilentShadowX2 8 September, 2014 @ 6:21 pm   20

Looking Good

Fred, is there any chance that Naruto games will be available on store? I mean those are big titles and none of them is available. Most importantly (to me) would be from Naruto Shippuuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (Geez…) and newer/upcoming games. Any chance?

Fred, are you sitting on Atelier Meruru Plus? Tecmo said it should have become available in Russia long time ago.

TrueMurton 9 September, 2014 @ 8:16 am   23

It saddens me to see so many people buy games with the 50-60% markups that some publishers have put on. £60 for Diablo 3 on PS4, that’s over 100 USD, or Destiny Digital Guardian Edition which costs $155 dollars and change here compared to $99 over there. Same product, a delivery system that isn’t affected by geographical location and tax difference of 20% somehow equate to a $50+ price difference?

Every time a new game comes out I wonder who is responsible for our markups? Was it SCEE’s decision to not follow SCEA and SCEJ in their pledge to retain last gen’s RRP (which was then matched by publishers) or did someone on the global level tell SCEE that they’d be running a 1:1 conversion on US prices, thereby giving every publisher carte blanche to do it as well. I think we all know that the pricing FAQ isn’t coming, but if we can just get an official response on this one point then I’d be happy.

In the interest of balance, SCEE did come to the senses on the PSTV price difference which would have seen us paying a 150% price hike and bundled some games into our box, but we’re still waiting to hear what these games are, any update on that?

madmanwithabox12 9 September, 2014 @ 9:24 am

No doubt it’ll be dumbed-down LEGO ports, which is the dumbest thing they can do considering you can already play the vastly superior versions on a TV via any other home console. But it’s what they’ll do. They’ll bundle it with some silly LEGO games, put absolutely zero marketing behind it and then wonder why nobody buys it.

Hi Fred, what happened to the discount on rising star games? They announced the extra plus discount was incoming but still nothing

Fred Dutton 9 September, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

I’m investigating with the Store team, but it appears that there was some confusion here and there is no additional Plus discount to be added in this instance.

WayfaringWalrus 9 September, 2014 @ 3:18 pm

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but do you know why F1 2013 Classic Edition isn’t on the store? It was meant to be discounted 2 weeks ago but didn’t/still doesn’t even exist, I’ve tried posting in numerous places but so far someone’s only replied on the forum and said they’d look into it, then they disappeared into the night. Thanks!

Hi Fred the publisher later announced they had sorted it with scee and the discount would be added. How often do you try and tell us the publisher sets the prices? You should allow them to honour this.

Would be nice to bring back the weekly recap so we can ask questions i have a few regarding games coming to Europe. there has been no opportunity to do so the past month

madmanwithabox12 9 September, 2014 @ 2:16 pm   26

Is anything going to be done about those PSP games that recently came to the store that can’t be played on Vita? It’s kinda ridiculous if I’m honest, I don’t know why anybody would choose to exclude Vita like that.

Having a separate chart for PS1 & PS2 Classics is sending me mixed messages. On the one hand, it testifies that these games are still relevant not only in our eyes but in Your eyes as well. But on the other hand, it’s like a slap to the face. That’s because, at the moment, people who want to buy PS1 & PS2 Classics can only pick from a very limited selection in that “Classics” category under “Collections”. An amalgamation of only a little over 100 games for PS1, PS2 and PSP. Games that aren’t featured there might as well not exist. Why did You remove the complete lists? Don’t You want people to buy those games? If someone wants to purchase a PS1/PS2 game that’s not in that “Classics” category but can be found within the uncharted depths of the PS Store, they need to use the search function and, more importantly, they need to know from previous experience, that the game was released.

I asked Jawad Ashraf this question on a PS Store “heads-up” post a while ago. He simply said that the Store is being reorganized or something to that effect. That PS1 & PS2 Classics will have their own separate and complete categories again. But it’s been months and nothing has changed. Why? Why, why, why?

Why are You hiding content from customers? When will this end?