Posted

PlayStation Plus in October: DRIVECLUB, Spelunky, Dust: An Elysian Tail, more

Pix the Cat, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dungeons & Dragons, Rainbow Moon also incoming

Hi everyone. We have a variety of goodies available to our PlayStation Plus members this October so let’s quickly crack on with the full line-up:

New on PlayStation 4:

First up this month on PS4, make sure you pick up DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition to get a taste of a real next generation racing game, loaded with 11 tracks and 10 beautifully crafted cars.

Next up Dust: An Elysian Tail. Immerse yourself in a gorgeous hand-painted world on a search for your true identity. As the mysterious warrior, Dust, your action-packed journey will take you from peaceful glades to snowy mountaintops and beyond.

Dust

Finally on PS4 make sure you pick up unique platformer Spelunky bursting with procedurally-generated levels that offer a new and challenging experience each time you play! Journey deep underground and explore fearsome caverns filled with monsters, traps, and treasure.

Spelunky

New on PS Vita:

First up this month is brand new PS Vita/PS4 Cross Buy title Pix the Cat, an intense arcade game from the talented team at French studio Pastagames. You will need to rescue forsaken ducklings from the nested levels of the infamous grid of infinity whilst perfecting your skills to speed and combo up until you reach the explosive fever time!

Also joining the service this month is PS Vita/PS3 Cross Buy title Rainbow Moon, an RPG with a strong emphasis on exploration, character development and turn-based battles. Choose from six playable characters with upgradeable weapons, armour and accessories, and explore more than 20 dungeons in a gripping quest that should keep you busy for at least 40 hours.

New on PlayStation 3:

First up on PS3 this month Batman: Arkham Asylum where you assume the role of the Dark Knight as he delivers The Joker to Arkham Asylum, Gotham’s psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane. Little does Batman know the prisoners have set a trap for him which leads to an immersive, dark and atmospheric adventure.

Finally, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara from Capcom. Recruit up to three friends and battle against the mythical beasts of the Dungeons & Dragons universe. The game offers drop-in/drop-out online gameplay in one of two modes, includes a Challenge system that sets players in-game goals in return for level-ups and coins which can be spent in the Vault.

Dungeons___Dragons_Chronicles_of_Mystara_Screenshot_6_(Tower_of_Doom)_bmp_jpgcopy

In summary

Leaving PS Plus:
8th October: Velocity 2X
8th October: Sportsfriends
8th October: PlayStation Battle Royale
8th October: Hoard
8th October: TxK
8th October: Joe Danger VITA

Entering PS Plus:
8th October: Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
8th / 10th October: DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition (PS4)
8th October: Dust: An Elysian Tail (PS4)
8th October: Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (PS3)
8th October: Pix the Cat (PS Vita/PS4 Cross Buy)
8th October: Rainbow Moon (PS Vita/PS3 Cross Buy)
8th October: Spelunky (PS4/PS3/PS Vita Cross Buy)

Don’t miss out! Make sure add any of the games scheduled to leave the service to your download list now to ensure you get to play them!

Not a PlayStation Plus member? Then join today from just £5.49/€6.99 per month. To find out more visit our PlayStation Plus site.

Remember, if you’ve not got access to your PS4, PS3 or PS Vita then you can also buy through our online store.

702 Comments
0 Author replies

This is the last plus month before PS4 Anniversary 1, Sony.

So from here on out, it’s time for some REAL AAA GAMES!

1.1

They don’t have to so they won’t! I’m sick of saying this, but Sony don’t have any incentive to offer AAA games.

1.2

If it was to happen it will only be Knack

JD_LloydLewis 01 October, 2014 @ 17:20
1.3

It’s only been a year, what exactly are they gunna offer anyway? Most AAA devs/publishers won’t want to give away the games free yet.

Inb4 everyone hates it!

2.1

To be honest though, that’s pretty bad.

2.2

What i said earlier about hope seems to be valid. Players raging about the indie line-up every month has become a tradition. This could have all been avoided if Sony would have come clean from the start and mention that they will offer only indie ps4 games. A little bit of respect goes a long way. As for indie lovers, Spelunky is a good game to try if you do not already own it.

2.3

I did give spelunky a go a while back but it’s not really for me. Decent enough but not my thing. Can’t say I have high hopes for the rest of them though, and Batman Arkham Asylum is a bit of a cheap shot seeing as the entire world has played it. My niece wasn’t even born when it came out and she’s smashed a few of the challenge rooms! ha!
I see where you’re coming from but don’t think Sony need to “come clean” about anything. Plus was never guaranteed to be retail or AAA games. I’ve really enjoyed a lot of the smaller games on plus, but this month seems a bit… well I hate to use the word half-ars*d but it seems applicable here….

Pathetic just pathetic.

First a week late and the line-up is pathetic. it’s also good to see you removed the survey’s cause you know how bad they made you look.

I’ve got used to the sub par PS plus tat now, as they don’t care about PS plus users anymore anyway, but the big screw you EU is the real problem this month.hopefully xbox will keep selling well like it did last week and force Sony to take note as they have become way too complacent

I have to agree with the nay-sayers this time. Really, is it that hard to find compelling games to give to the subscribers? I remember when this service was flourishing with amazing games such as Ratchet and Clank and LittleBigPlanet. That’s a thing of the past now. I don’t mind indie titles, but I’ve seriously never heard of PIX THE CAT?!?!

I’m still going to buy PS+ for this month just because of Arkham Asylum and DriveClub, that’ll probably be worth my 7 euros anyways.

3.3

@unbiased You complain about EU being screwed over and then try to talk up Xbox with its slightly higher UK sales this week. Newsflash, the UK does not equal the world either mate, let alone the higher sales gap there was with the 2 consoles in even 3 of the other large EU countries.
Yet another “Oh Sony had better watch out” remark with no actual threat to back it up whatsoever.

What a shocking week.

Batman Arkham Asylum seriously?

Next time, if you’re going to give us something like this, don’t bother giving us it at all.

Nightmareofkaito 01 October, 2014 @ 17:16
4.1

So you wanted a bad indie game instead did you, just be great full you got batman.

RossGeller1942 01 October, 2014 @ 17:27
4.2

What’s even worse is that they give us Arkham Asylum after they gave out Arkham City, the sequel to Arkham Asylum.

4.3

OMG, u cheapskate u are complaining about getting free games, batman arkham asylum won game of the of year award

Show more replies

this month ends my ps plus suscription hope u do it better for november

I’m really genuinely sorry for complaining and I hope I never have to again, but are the PS3 offerings a joke?

6.1

I agree. I understand the offerings with PS4 and Vita and they are fine, but PS3 has taken a serious dip recently.

6.2

same thing on my mind..

6.3

I agree. I only have a ps3 so having ps plus and not getting any good games for free isn’t worth my cash anymore. Today was decision day for me, so these are the last days of ps plus for me until I get a ps4 or they offer something good again.

Show more replies

arkham asylum cant belive it after arkham city!!! :((

Cool I download them today…

8.1

You can’t download until next week.

Robinworldwide 01 October, 2014 @ 17:17
8.2

You gotta sense the sarcasm Sheldon! ;)

8.3

I hold no place for sarcasm when i’m p****d off.

PS+ line-ups are a joke now.

Show more replies

Get ready……rage about arkham asylum being the PS3 game of the month is coming.

9.1

Why? I played Arkham Asylum after Arkham City because I played the newer title first, and thought it good enough to compel me to play the first game. They are both are excellent games, but many people, myself included, think the more linear nature of Arkham Asylum made it a better game (or at least more engaging) than Arkham City because it could focus on the story and make everything a little more cohesive.

That really is quite appalling

Some nice games in there, can’t wait to try Dust and D&D.
Rainbow Moon is great, every one should try it.
Batman is good, but after so many years that it is out and with all those discounts it got, every that waned it must have it already, seems kinda weird choice, especially after the second one was PS+ game before this.

Btw Chris why you ave two dates on Driveclub? which one is it ?

@Rochala From what i can gather the 8th is refering to the fact that from the 8th we are able to pre-download Drive Club ready for release on the 10th.

Awesome selection. :) Can’t wait to play Dust, Driveclub and Spelunky. The other games are bonuses too. :D

12.1

And just realised its 11 games across the 3 consoles. Bravo :D

Great PIX the cast. I was going to buy that anyway.

13.1

*Cat

jamie-sixtyfour 01 October, 2014 @ 17:06

Not a bad lineup. I’ll be looking forward to free Spelunky!

Nightmareofkaito 01 October, 2014 @ 17:42
14.1

Free spelunky ftw

Crumptastic_86 01 October, 2014 @ 17:06

So, to clarify-the ps+ edition of DC comes out on the 8th but the full game/unlock isn’t until the 10th?

Why?

15.1

Because the full game doesn’t actually release until the 10th.

PS+ Edition is basically just a demo after all.

15.2

And Max, you’re basically a miserable git

The UK doesn’t get the PS+ version until the 10th to match the UK release date, the rest of EU gets it on the 8th. That is why there are two dates listed

zack_angeal_777 01 October, 2014 @ 17:07

This Is For The Players!

Realy? This is it? Can it go any worse?

17.1

Yes, just wait for next month & it probably will.

They could cancel the service. You are getting games. Excellent games just because one is from 2009. It is an amazing game.

Nightmareofkaito 01 October, 2014 @ 17:50
17.3

Yes it could be much worse let me count the ways. we could have had

ps4
Octodad and something worse than road not taken

Ps3
Worms and sonic the hedgehog megadrive

Vita
Ninja gaiden sigma 2 and dungeon hunter alliance

So quit complaining or this could be november

tallpaulg1983 01 October, 2014 @ 17:07

Garbage.

18.1

Can you quantify that? What exactly is garbage? Many of these games are highly rated. Yes, they are a bit older, but that doesn’t change the fact they are very playable.

18.2

I agree! GARBAGE!
Because the games 2 and 3 months ago are better and the month with borderlands 2 was fun.
Why not a great game it is october that means halloween.
Only DriveClub is great but i got no PS4 :(

Batman Arkham Asylum hahahahahaha game from 2009, please more older games, something from 2007 please

19.1

Wow,is Batman really that old? That’s as bad as games with gold on the 360!

19.2

I’m hanging out for Columns. And maybe Flicky.

So? Is your argument:
A) Because it is an older title it is bad.
B) Because it is an older title that I own I consider it a bad offering.
C) I’m a troll and came here to complain.

Disappointing, as usual

I’m well happy with the ps4 stuff.

Always wanted dust
Got spelunky but not played it on ps4 so even though Id have got it anyway cross buy still happy.
Also getting pix which looks like pacman style fun with cool neon visuals.

Also get to try dc.

9/10 for the content I’ll use (no vita or ps3 no more)

great line-up. spelunky is one of the best games of all time, dust looked great on xbox, can’t wait to try it out. probanly not going to buy driveclub so a free ps+ version is cool. pix the cat looks fun too! :)

22.1

Yet to play Spelunky; what’s put me off with it is the fact that it seems to be everywhere! Hopefully it’ll live up to the hype :)

I own a Ps3 only. NO reason for me to renew ps plus

23.1

I have PS3 only too, but never had Plus. Why? I prefr buying games I want, not waiting for Sony’s generosity:)

Cool month :) Love the PS4 offerings and i’m excited to be able to play Batman on the PS3 (it was the only game missing! lucky xD). The rest looks interesting, specially Rainbow Moon!

counterUAVbaby 01 October, 2014 @ 17:07

Great games said no one ever!

25.1

Care to check metacritic. Most of these games are highly rated. Such pointless cynicism.

counterUAVbaby 01 October, 2014 @ 17:47
25.2

@dr-nick33 That doesn’t mean that the games are great. Stop being a blind fanboy and open your eyes.

25.3

A bind fanboy? Because I think this month’s selection of games is pretty good, like it is most months? Because I don’t have a negative kneejerk reaction to “indie” games – a term that is really obsolete by now. Because I’ve been gaming since 1983 and I’m glad to see that gaming has diversified and become really interesting again rather than just identikit and formulaic shooters and racers and this diversity is reflected in PS+? Or is it because I play the games first before coming on this blog and moaning like an entitled baby? You choose not to play them, it’s your loss.

Show more replies

Spelunky cross buy..Nice one PlayStation i already own the ps3 version so its free for me and others who may own it either with plus or not,feels like a waste

Hm. I just got ps plus activated. I wonder should I de-activate it now.

killeddancehall 01 October, 2014 @ 23:44
27.1

You can’t my friend, this is no way go back, just for the next time, don’t activate another one.
You only are gona get dissapointed with sony products and games.

27.2

if they give us “great games” until my subscription expires, i’ll probably renew. I missed the little planet :( i heard it was free on plus one time

Wow

Yeah ANOTHER new port Dust and Spelunky(Even 2). And crazy old games for PS3.

Psvita gets good abd quite new games so no issue there

Rethink your policies about the need to have product descriptions in all major languages on local stores or do the translations yourself LOL, this way you might get more games available everywhere in EU zone? Games that you can then offer in PS+

Anyway, sadly nothing for me this month…

Pues a mi me parece un gran mes,Dust y rainbow moon mas driveclub

Arkham Asylum? Really? Games that old used to be the “2nd” Game in Psplus next to a fresh new game. God these last months have been dissapointing :(

AlphaSpookster 01 October, 2014 @ 17:09

So does Drive Club become available on the 8th or the 10th??

10th for the UK, 8th for everyone else in the EU :(

NorthernFusion 01 October, 2014 @ 17:09

As usual, the Vita selection wins.

Fantastic line up. 4 things for PS4 too.

Even if you paid full price for your PS+ you get those 4 bits for £3.33. How anyone complains about this stuff is beyond me.

34.1

People who believe they’re entitled. They are free to leave PS+ anytime they want too, what a bonus. :)

RossGeller1942 01 October, 2014 @ 17:24
34.2

“They are free to leave PS+ anytime they want too, what a bonus.” Actually, no. If we want to play online, then we have to have PS+. Those of us that had it back on the PS3 are going to be ‘entitled’ since we were used to a service that offered value for money.

Robinworldwide 01 October, 2014 @ 17:24
34.3

If you want to play online on ps4 you don’t really have a choice so your point is moot. I suspect you guys aren’t plus subscribers for very long if you feel this service is so awesome…

Show more replies

I’ll try Batman and Driveclub but october is barely better than september.

35.1

Execuse me, but what games did u want? Maybe AAA titles for this 3 pounds a month?:)))

killeddancehall 01 October, 2014 @ 23:39
35.2

bla, bla, buy a gamer notebook and an ea acount and enjoy the most amazing games and let sony die with the ps4 ([deleted] version 4), the game are really abnomarlly expensive compared with pc games, and if you want your sixaxis4 or 3 controller just buy one they are much more cheaper than the ps3 ps4 sixaxis, and convert you gaming nootebook in your own, ps3, ps4, and psvita, no i’m sory all that about just play pc games because the ps3 games are bad, the only good game was the killzone saga, the last of us, resistance was a good game too, uncharted saga, but only that, and in a few years everyone will be able to instll the ps3 emulator in his own gaming pc and playing this old games, but however just do whatever want, because for me this only means that i’m not giving a [deleted] for the ps3-ps4, games.

this will be last ps+ month too this is bloody awful…A five yo batman game is the best you can get for ps3…pffft.

That’s something new. We get game older from the previous title from Batman.
But you know why is that? When we get Batman: Arkham City it was “new, better PS+” as SCEE wanted to have more PS+ subscribers. Now we have “old PS+” which was when this service started.
I’m just waiting for more BRAND NEW AMAZING GAMES from Creat Studios, and some amazingly outrageous comment from PS Blog Fred God Dutton.

Oh, so you’re JUST wanting BRAND NEW AMAZING GAMES. Oh, that’s rich.

37.2

@Gogata7 – Why you’re so ignorant? Isn’t this giving you pain. It sure would give it to me.
BRAND NEW GAMES from CREAT Studios – now my sentence is easier to understand for you?
Google what they’re doing, and which publishers/developers who supported first version of PS+.

Oh and btw – the old PS+ also got some AAA games sometimes. Burnout: Paradise was one of them. Rest was semi-core games like those from Creat Studios.

Cheers and relax – irony isn’t for everybody.

VlayerTheSlayer 01 October, 2014 @ 17:10

Spelunky is such a fantastic game. I already own it on 360, PC and Vita/PS3 so it’s not much use to me, but since we’re also getting Drive Club it doesn’t bother me.

Spelunky might not be for everyone, but I will vouch for it and say this is one of the best titles to be on PS+ for PS4. It’s very difficult, but also incredibly fair. Lots of replayability, and very rewarding as you start noticing how much better you’re getting at the game.

Give it a chance, you will die a lot.

RossGeller1942 01 October, 2014 @ 17:25
38.1

You’re getting a demo of Driveclub, just in case you thought it was the full game.

38.2

It is an amazing game. Massively fun and challenging. I hope the AAA crowd will heed your suggestion.

killeddancehall 01 October, 2014 @ 23:49
38.3

PAYING 4 euros for demo. hahahaha, so fools.

Show more replies

Wow. I love the look of quite a few of those. Dust and Pix cat are new to me but I have to play them. I have wanted to get spelunky for a while now so thank you for that :D I already have Arkham Asylum but a great game for those who don’t have it :D RAINBOW MOON is amazing, I have it on PS3 and would prefer it on the Vita so this is a brilliant deal! Not sold on Dungeons and Dragons yet.

I have pre-ordered Drive club already :P

Arkham Asylum? Are you serious right now? you do realize how much crap Microsoft gets for having ancient games come to Games with Gold right? Clearly the best wasn’t left until last with this blog post. Still better than Arkham Origins, but who doesn’t own Asylum already if they wanted it? It came out around 2008 didn’t it?

Asylum aside, this update isn’t too bad given the sheer amount of Cross-Buy games. Despite it’s “8-bit” look i won’t hear a bad word said against Spelunky; because it’s amazing and everyone needs to try it and give it a fair shake. It’s punishing but oh so satisfying.

counterUAVbaby 01 October, 2014 @ 17:19
40.1

Battlefield Bad Company 2, Darksiders II, Dischonored, Chariot, etc. aren’t that ancient.

40.2

First of all batmN arkham asylum is a great game.

Secondly, Spelunky an’t no 8 bit game. Your showing your age, and I’m showing mine.

40.3

I haven’t played Arkham Asylum and I have the other two, lucky me :P

Another indie month, thanks for nothing

41.1

I disagree, keep it indie only! It’s a great channel to promote these games. If you want AAA games, go buy them!

If only Driveclube was the full game then it would have been a great month. I’m dissapointed in Sony for only giving indie games. At least do 2 indie games and 1 triple A game a month for PS4 that would be a lot better for everyone. Even if i had to pay a little bit more a month! EA Access is at this moment a better value then PS plus!

42.1

In Russia from today the price rises on ~20% on PS Plus.

Falkenfluegel 01 October, 2014 @ 17:54
42.2

You want a new $60 game in your $5 subscription? I m not that good at math, but how is this supposed to work?

42.3

If u take a look at previous PS Plus games like Battlefield 3, Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption, Crysis, Borderlands, Assasins Creed III Far Cry 3, etc. i think its pretty possible

king_Mark_XNIRX 01 October, 2014 @ 17:10

Decent lineup for the PS4 and Vita, but the PS3 lineup is pretty bad. If you had included Batman: Arkham Origins instead of Asylum it would have been a lot better

43.1

100% agree.

Didnt we already get Arkham Asylum about a year ago on plus? Im not normally one to complain but these last few months have been shocking. Was hoping for Arkham City or AC4.

We had Arkham City, not Asylum

44.2

Arkham City has already been on PS+.

44.3

There was Batman Arkham City. I was expecting Batman game this month, but rather Batman Arkham Origins. Maybe it’s just blog mistake. Or Games with Gold team do classic MS “we can buy anything” style action.

Show more replies

It is a bit of a setback to get Batman: Arkham Asylum 6 months after Batman: Arkham City. Time should move forwards, ladies and gents.
The rest is as usual, indie land. (which is fine if you love indie platformers so much).

Looks like a good month! Highlight here is DriveClub which I’m dying for!!!!! Will give Spelunky and Dust: An Elysian Tail a try sometime in 2015 or so as there are far too many games coming out which I have my eye on (including DriveClub). Just disappointing to see Batman isn’t Arkham Origins but it’s still a good game for people that never played Arkham Asylum

46.1

Think I will add on Rainbow Moon to 2015 also. Just watched the video and looks interesting

46.2

Batman: AA is a great game! I think we’d be hard pushed to find a PS3 fan who hasn’t played it though.

Agree on Rainbow Moon! :)

Damn, I already own 3 of those games, two which I own for PC. I welcome the console versions as I love those games. Can’t wait for DriveClub in about a week. :D

And be prepared for the entitled.. Uhm, kids. :)

Reading all these comments depresses me. I see more reasonable discussions on freaking IGN. There should be a legal age or proof of social usefulness for someone to use the Internet.

There is a real drop in quality in the last 2 or more months.
If the deals not going will there is the 1st party games sony(Twisted Metal , Killzone triology…..)

Oh yeah give us EA Access!

fps_d0minat0r 01 October, 2014 @ 17:37
49.1

Yeah their reason was that it doesnt represent good value, but sorry sony, PS+ is s**t value now. At this rate id rather subscribe to EA access than PS+.

Sonys reason that EA games lack quality doesn’t hold up compared to the standard of games that have been on PS+ since the launch of the PS4. I don’t even bother downloading most of them any more, so I’m just wasting my money. Give us the choice to subscribe to both!

@djnicey

How do you know if PS Plus games are good or not, if you don’t actually download and try them?

While I’d agree I’d like the option to get EA Access as well, saying PS Plus is a waste of money is ridiculous as you need it for online multiplayer, just like you would for XBL.

Show more replies

And the travesty continue for an amazing 10 month that I don’t give a hoot about any of the games given.
Where is the service I was excited about and that make me buy into multiple years.

It is still there it is just your standards are too high. It is Sony’s fault for raising them.

this is the transition period. if you expecting aaa ps4 games…..its too early. if your expecting top ps3 games….your too late. ive gotten most value from the vita this year…dynasty warriors, batman and dragons dogma being highlights. Lucreto comments was spot on…..you, however reacted like a jerk.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history