Minecraft PS Vita Edition launches on PlayStation Store next week

While the retail version arrives in shops in November

Minecraft fans, the wait is finally over! Minecraft PS Vita Edition will be available on PlayStation Store on Wednesday, 15th October for only €18.99/£12.99. The retail version will then follow on 19th November (21st November in the UK and Ireland).

Minecraft PSVita_2D Pack_PEGI

With the portability benefits of PS Vita and its dual analogue control system, you can now transfer your existing Minecraft PS3 Edition save to and from the PS Vita Edition, and continue to build, explore, and conquer anytime, anywhere. When you’re done, simply transfer your save to the PS4 Edition for the ultimate Minecraft experience!

For those that already own PS3 Edition and have been eagerly waiting for the PS Vita Edition Cross-Buy, or are looking to join the Minecraft family for the first time, here’s how it works:

About to purchase PS Vita Edition (PS Store) from 15th October
On your PS3 or PS Vita, purchase Minecraft PS Vita Edition for €18.99/£12.99. Once you have made the purchase, you’ll be able to download the PS3 Edition for free and upgrade to PS4 Edition for €3.99.

About to purchase PS Vita Edition (retail) from 19th November
On your PS3 or PS Vita, enter the pack-in voucher code through PS Store and you’ll be able to download the PS Vita and PS3 Editions digitally, and upgrade to the PS4 Edition for €3.99.

Existing PS3 Edition owners (disc or digital)
On your PS3 or PS Vita, simply log into PlayStation Store and find Minecraft PS Vita Edition and you’ll be able to download it for free.

Existing PS4 Edition owners (disc or digital)
Only the PS3 and PS Vita editions are eligible for the Cross-Buy offer.

Please note: PS3/PS Vita cross-buy offer expires 25/2/16, all outstanding vouchers will be honoured.

Did you enjoy this?

150 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first
European_Gamer 10 October, 2014 @ 2:39 pm   1

Please advertise the game so we get more players to Vita.

Is there going to be a Vita bundle for Christmas?

Can I transfer my PS4 save to the PS Vita version? Since you say I can do it the other way round, that would be an awesome bonus!

Fred Dutton 10 October, 2014 @ 2:53 pm

Alas not. The PS4 version allows for bigger worlds so saves are not compatible with the PS3/Vita version. From Mojang: “There are technical reasons for this; we can make worlds bigger without too much stress, but shrinking them causes all kinds of problems.”

For more:

How come then it can be done the other way around? Just technical wizardry?

VictorAnalogy 10 October, 2014 @ 3:26 pm

The same reason you can pour half a pint of milk into a pint glass, but you can’t pour a pint of milk into a half pint glass.

Great analogy, Victor..uhh, analogy.

I dont understand why they dont give the PS4 version the option to use Vita/PS3 size worlds so you can swap them back and forth instead of forcing all PS4 worlds to be max size. Seems a missed opportunity. Granted I still have my PS3 setup but its so old! 😉

NoMoneyLeftBoy 13 October, 2014 @ 11:00 am

As far as I can tell then there is no incentive for PS4 users to pickup the Vita version.

Sorry for interrupting but, i have Minecraft on PS3 (disc) and it came with no voucher code. When Minecraft on vita came out on PS Store, it doesnt say buy now free infact, it says, Buy Now : £12.99.
    Fred, i’d love it if you could reply to me.

Koki_Monster 10 October, 2014 @ 2:50 pm   4

Great approach to Cross-Buy. Too often those who buy physical copies are penalised, so thanks for leading the way.

ummagummachild 10 October, 2014 @ 2:51 pm   5

Its about time….welcome to #psvita family. Hope your stay will flourish #psvita and bring more blockbuster titles on the roll…

RyanSufc1997 10 October, 2014 @ 3:03 pm   6

I got the PS4 edition, and I don’t understand why I can’t upgrade for £4 to the vita edition, Fred could you look at this and try to make me an offer? Thanks!

Fred Dutton 10 October, 2014 @ 3:31 pm

That’s a decision that lies with the publisher – we’ll certainly pass it on.

gaarariku 11 October, 2014 @ 2:26 am

I am with you on this! I do not see why PS4 owners who have a Vita cannot get some form of deal. I honestly would not mind paying an unlock fee for Vita, but I am extremely hesitant to pay full price for a game I already own. Here is hoping they can help us out!

RyanSufc1997 11 October, 2014 @ 7:11 pm

@gaarariku I too am hesitant to buy at full price again, especially as a cut will probably go to Microsoft now, But 4jStudios deserve it so much…

As a side note I think it would have been cool to have it cross save (but of course I would have to have a “small” world on PS4 too)

alvar123456 10 October, 2014 @ 3:05 pm   7

demo of minecraft psvita?

MaxDiehard 10 October, 2014 @ 3:05 pm   8

Yay, you got the news a day late!

Dear Brian Silva:

Can you elaborate if Minecraft Vita will be compatbile with PS Vita TV/Playstation TV?

This will decide if i will purchase it or not, please be open and directly.

I am sure i am not the only one with this question

MaxDiehard 10 October, 2014 @ 3:11 pm   10

Also, why has LBP3 been delayed? A week isn’t going to make a difference to game changes….unless, you know servers are gonna **** up just like Driveclub.

TrueMurton 10 October, 2014 @ 3:16 pm

Rumour has it that SCEE legal have blocked it because there’s an issue where one of the songs in the game may be deemed offensive to a certain minority group.

Its been delayed one week so that a patch can remove the song in question. So in a word, censorship…

MaxDiehard 10 October, 2014 @ 3:25 pm

So the same **** that occurred with LBP1 just because a few people got upset at some words from a certain fictional book?

Pleaseeeee Sony Promote/Advertise that this is coming to Vita, we need tv adverts, Game Bundles you name it.

Its nearing Christmas and once kids or even adults see that they can play minecraft on the Go with this console in GAME shop windows etc they should come flocking over.

Or even ask Microsoft politely if they can advertise it 😉

DJ_Tomato 10 October, 2014 @ 3:20 pm   13

yeah same with Metal Gear Peace Walker PSP, yet still not allowed.

Hi there fred ive got problems with my drive club pre-order dlc cars they arent downloading its been like that for a few days now its the digital version from the store btw

madmanwithabox12 10 October, 2014 @ 3:24 pm   15

I was beginning to worry there wouldn’t even be a blog post and it would just be another Vita stealth release that gets sent out to die.

As others have said… ADVERTISE THIS. First proper portable version of Minecraft, get the word out Sony. This has the potential to move units for Vita but not if you don’t advertise it!

madmanwithabox12 10 October, 2014 @ 3:26 pm

A bundle would certainly be preferable. Bring that green Vita Slim over, put in a Minecraft bundle and put some advertising behind it – Boom. Done. Simple.

zalwelgoedgaan 10 October, 2014 @ 4:32 pm

If Borderlands 2 can get a retail bundle release, but one of the biggest games in gaming history can’t, then it’s safe to say that Mojang doesn’t want to play along.

solarwind12 10 October, 2014 @ 6:21 pm

Will ms buying minecracft ip have any impact on a bundle?, maybe they (ms) are now in a position to throw a spanner into that, as imo that game alone, in a vita bundle would bring a Lot of new buyers for the system, so… if ms have anything to do with that, just can’t see it bieng allowed to happen, perhaps IF sen pay for right?, but again i will guess apart from principles, money wanted for right to make money printing machine.. sorry vita/minecraft bundles, just in time for chrissie pressies list, not looking like it’ll happen, or has the ownsership of minecraft rights not yet been transfered to ms?, and sony are (unbelievably Again!) missing a massive oppertunity?.

madmanwithabox12 10 October, 2014 @ 8:31 pm

@solarwind12: If anything, I’d imagine MS would want as many Minecraft sales as possible, as they’d be getting a cut of every unit sold. Minecraft/Vita bundle would be a good move for all involved, whether it be 4J, Mojang, Microsoft or Sony.

I don’t think a bundle will surface, but It could happen, Microsoft don’t seem as sly as sony.

ten-bucks 10 October, 2014 @ 3:24 pm   16

Some vita love!!!!!!

Tailor-UK 10 October, 2014 @ 3:29 pm   17

So the PS Vita Edition (retail), is that a version that comes with Minecraft on a physical Vita game card and will have a digital code in the box too?
I am really hoping that’s the case as storage space comes at a premium with the Vita and that means I can save space and get the PS3 version too.

Fred Dutton 10 October, 2014 @ 3:35 pm

Yes, the retail version comes in a box with a game card.

TrueMurton 10 October, 2014 @ 4:36 pm

That’s a cracking deal. Means that if a household has two Vita’s they can get away with a single retail copy. Unless of course the Vita retail version is being sold at a premium as is often the case with their cartridges. Personally I think a lot of the problems with the Vita, sales numbers wise, were self created by Sony for making digital prices fair. Routinely any major release is a fiver cheaper to download than it is to buy in a shop, in stark contrast the PS3 and PS4 where digital is anything up to 15 quid more expensive.

Bovrillor 12 October, 2014 @ 12:33 am

The game is under 100MB so it’s really not going to fill a whole lot of memory card space

supersmith2500 10 October, 2014 @ 3:33 pm   18

Cannot wait to play this on the go. And the best part this, I’m getting the Vita version for no cost since I have the PS3 version via retail.

zalwelgoedgaan 10 October, 2014 @ 4:30 pm   19

FINALLY! What are the specs of the Vita version? 30fps? Native res? Touch screen possibilities? Custom soundtrack support?

iREVOLTER 10 October, 2014 @ 4:35 pm   20

Thank you Microsoft for Cross-Buy deal!

Thanks fred and maxdiehard for the reply

Tell me you’re releasing a hardware bundle? If you don’t seize this opportunity to push the only portable version of Minecraft and get some mad Vita sales in Europe then you really don’t know what you’re doing.

alvar123456 10 October, 2014 @ 5:35 pm   23

Few stable fps?

itsafackablelife 10 October, 2014 @ 5:53 pm   24

Hello, I bought the Minecraft Ps3 disc three weeks ago. Will I be able to get the vita version via cross-buy?

Agamer2006 10 October, 2014 @ 6:19 pm   25

Will there be a seperate tropht list or is it linked to the PS3 list?

Cross play with PS3?

thatbasedgamer 10 October, 2014 @ 9:37 pm   27

I honestly can’t wait to play the vita version at work and while im doing uni coursework. This is one of the many reasons why the vita is so underrated. Not being aable to dedicate so much time to home consoles, I simply vent to the vita as my go to console for my everyday use, because I have uni or work. Playing Minecraft in bed will be such a delight for me, so im glad this is FINALLY getting released. On top of that, we get the console version for free. How cool is that? I just hope that the vita gets more love next year, because it is so underrated and has potential, but Sony don’t want to bother with their own creation. Remote play is nice *yes I use it majority of the time* but at the same time, I want games specifically made for the device that I can take anywhere. I have been playing the God Of War Collection, Ratchet And Clank, Jak And Daxter collection *even though its a bad port* and Borderlands 2 *great on the vita*. These are just so awesome to play anywhere. I hope we can at least get more ports of great ps2 classics. Minecraft is a great start so good job. I hope This gets advertised and this gets bundled with the vita, to help move units.

NoMoneyLeftBoy 10 October, 2014 @ 10:34 pm   28

As an owner of a vita and the ps4 version, there is zero incentive for me to buy this on vita version. Knowing the technical constraints of the vita version why on earth didn’t the ps4 version ship with a vita-compatible smaller map option? A real pity as I would have liked to have used the ps plus cloud save functionality with this game. Ahh well.

lizziebear66 11 October, 2014 @ 12:05 am   29

Trophies… the vita trophy list exactly same as ps3 or is it same list as ps4. And also can I plat it again.. I’ve already plated ps3 and 4 version ..thanks

why do PS4 owners always get f****d ?

dange1981 11 October, 2014 @ 7:33 am   31

I recently bought this on PS3 so I could get the upgrade to PS4 and the Vita versions. However I only have the option to download the demo version of the PS4 Minecraft from the PS Store. I have done a search and even tried getting to it through the options menu in the demo but this just takes me to the edition I’ve already download with limited time access. Please help as I want to pay for the upgrade.

ten-bucks 12 October, 2014 @ 10:58 am

hi dave. I just checked your trophies and you’ve not played or synced minecraft ps3 as that trophy set not showing when I compare trophies. maybe play it and synch trophies and that might work.:-D

dange1981 12 October, 2014 @ 1:28 pm

Ah yeah maybe that’s why. I’ll check. Only really bought the ps3 version so I could get the cross-buy for vita and ps4.

So, uh, why is PSN down for me? I cannot access the store or any PS plus features….. Just says “under maintainance”…

ten-bucks 11 October, 2014 @ 11:57 am   33

since you guys are so good at silence there’s no point at asking why I can’t play destiny as according to my account I don’t have ps plus. i dont expect you to have to reply but i demand someone official to have some kind of statement. The customer service is about as much use as a chocolate teapot

Yes, they are very good at silence. Doesn’t help to post on twitter, forum or here to get help…

MaxDiehard 11 October, 2014 @ 4:56 pm

Ask in the PlayStation Forums instead, they’re more help.

I’ve asked on their FB, twitter, forum and on here, and no answer……

MaxDiehard 11 October, 2014 @ 7:33 pm

You won’t get an answer here, not on the weekend.

Try searching the forums for people with a similar problem.

Benny-J-B11 11 October, 2014 @ 7:55 pm   34

This is great news. I cant wait to start up Minecraft on my Vita. I got one question though will we have any of the other texture packs available to purchase and download from launch, Or will there be a bit of a wait for those?

Bovrillor 12 October, 2014 @ 12:35 am

Some texture packs will work right off the bat, the others will not become available at all. No word on which ones yet. Quote “Legal reasons”.

BB-GUNZ45 12 October, 2014 @ 3:13 am   35

Cross buy was the right move

loadstone007s 12 October, 2014 @ 8:42 am   36

Bundle this game with the Vita!

loadstone007s 12 October, 2014 @ 2:23 pm

My spidey senses are telling me Microsoft are blocking this option. Say it ain’t so.

kevin77777leray 12 October, 2014 @ 2:04 pm   37

Why are most of the PS Vita features from PSN removed when signing in on the PS3.

There´s only the “PS Vita Only Games” section, where before one was able to see top PS Vita sellers etc. and also there is no PSP section at all now…

Why do you guys keep changing the EU PSN, compared to the US PSN??

jakethesnake0301 12 October, 2014 @ 4:30 pm   39

I nearly own all minecraft console versions and I get it for free on Vita.

CoolRichy007UK 13 October, 2014 @ 4:00 pm   40

Minecraft needs 1.8 update ps4 NOT 1.6 stupid 4j studios

TheAwsomeGamer76 13 October, 2014 @ 7:58 pm   41

This should boost sales a bit.And can we have a TV advertisement to spread the news since this is the first handheld console for Minecraft?

Assassin-_-MerKz 13 October, 2014 @ 9:14 pm   42

needs a bundle

I buy the ps3 edition on disc,do I need to buy then again on psn or disc to play for vita edition? Because on battle all stars i just buy it on ps3 disc and later just downloaded to ps vita for free:)please I need help :)!

Cant wait

Coody-Baroody 14 October, 2014 @ 4:03 pm   45

Now that this is a Microsoft owned IP there is no WAY we’ll see a Minecraft Vita bundle. Just like with Tearaway, Killzone Mercenary and Borderlands 2, this will be hung out to die by SCE and if you put yourself in a Sony share holders shoes would you do it differently?

It’s blatantly obvious now that Sony will now invest ZERO funds into any kind of marketing or advertising for our beloved handheld.

Maybe if PStv surprisingly does well that could change but it’s seriously doubtful in my opinion. PS Vita has never been given its fair chance of success by Sony. They’ve made blunder after blunder and now they’ve been forced to promise its shareholders that they’ll spend no more money on it and rely solely on word of mouth.

The other day I was asked by a casual what game I was playing on my PSP (!!!!!!!!) n if they still sold them n for how much. It’s now almost a THREE YEAR OLD system n still it’s only the hardcore and avid gamer, PS fans and Trophy hunters that know what a Vita is.

I rest my case.

Shame on you Sony.

Minecraft is the best and now we can play on the move