Posted

Killzone Mercenary update adds PlayStation TV compatibility

Plus, a restart-from-checkpoint system added following player feedback

When the PlayStation TV was first announced, we were super excited at the idea of having Killzone Mercenary running on a big TV screen. So, we went to work on making that idea happen, and are pleased to announce we can finally share the results.

As of today, update 1.11 will be freely available across all regions, bringing full support for the PlayStation TV system to Mercenary, ahead of the device’s 14th November EU launch. The game does indeed look fantastic on the big screen; and the Dualshock controls bring a new feel to the game’s mechanics – we’ve reworked all the touch mechanics to maximise the experience when played with those controls.

devkit-20141009-0203

Knowing that PS Vita players will play directly with PlayStation TV players online, we’ve also worked hard to ensure that the game is balanced for both parties, without either one having a competitive advantage.

Also, as part of update 1.11, in response to player feedback, we’ve finally been able to implement a restart-from-checkpoint system into the game, so campaign players can save progress mid-mission and return to it at a later date, without need to hit the suspend button!

Happy hunting Mercs, and don’t forget to let us know what you think of the changes.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

28 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Lack off checkpoint save was the reason I stopped playing it, it looks it time for me to come back!

… for real? It wasn’t really any serious problem, game was very easy even on Veteran level.

And missions weren’t even that long, if I remember right most of them took about 20 minutes (30 if you were serious and did every contract).

I mean, game IS very good! Lack of checkpoints didn’t seem to me like any serious problem, serious enough to not play game… well… it didn’t even seem to be any kind of problem because I didn’t even notice it.

Anyway, if now more people will be able to have fun playing game… than probably it is good change. Though I hope it won’t affect the gameplay for those who want games to be more challenging. So probably it would be good idea if you wouldn’t be able to Save/Load on hardest difficulty. (but that’s only my opinion).

Though… like I said, if it is something which will make more people buy the game… than it is good decision.

Hmm checkpoints certainly seem interesting, I wanted to earn more trophies but got fed up watching the briefing every time I turned off my Vita, (hate leaving it on standby for to long)

fps_d0minat0r 13 October, 2014 @ 10:10 pm

I only just found out a few days ago but you can skip the briefing by tapping the touch screen.
    But it only works once the loading indicator in the corner has gone, but considering how long it takes to load, you will still have to watch most of the briefing anyway.

zalwelgoedgaan 13 October, 2014 @ 4:27 pm   3

I just started playing this, but there’s no way that you can increase the field of view for the Vita version due to technical limitations, right? Sometimes it’s very disorienting just to look around, because everything is quite narrow.

Cool 😉 Now if only PSVita’s Uncharted & LBP & WipeOut & TearAway(seems impossible that 1, shame) could work on PS TV to that would be a DAY 1 buy for me.

This is by far my favourite game on the Vita. I think I’ve finished it five times already (maybe more). It’s a shame we won’t see more games like this and Uncharted: Golden Abyss on the Vita.

WearingFin 13 October, 2014 @ 5:08 pm   6

Is it time that this went on PS+? Or at least in time for Christmas. Not having seen it, this is the title i’m most interested in seeing blown up on my TV to see how the transition fares. With it being a decent online title too, this could be a great showcase for PS TV. As long as those memory card prices come down (in lieu of USB storage).

zalwelgoedgaan 13 October, 2014 @ 5:20 pm

I think Killzone is a trump card for Sony’s PS+ Vita offerings; they’re keeping that, Tearaway and other smaller first party Vita titles on the backburner if games are drying up and they need a strong title for the month.

madmanwithabox12 13 October, 2014 @ 5:13 pm   7

Recently jumped back into this game. I’d forgotten how awesome it was.

In the name of GOD! BRING AD HOC MODE!!!!!
PLEASEEEEE!!!!!!!!
I want to play local multiplayer with my REAL friends! Come on!

Good work. I am buying ps tv day 1. Still have no idea what I will do with it. … But thanks for making more options available.

The checkpoint system is a welcomed idea. The thing is, I’ve already platinumed the game and would like to get more 😛 Develop a sequel or at least a DLC with some contracts. I have no reason to play this game for such a long time. I want more Killzone on Vita!

fps_d0minat0r 13 October, 2014 @ 10:11 pm   11

Stop kidding yourselves… the dualshock players will always have a massive advantage over vita thumbstick players.

We need an AD-HOC Mode please. “in response to player feedback.” well, now bring us this update. 🙂 Wi-Fi’s MP mode suffered from instabilities when we played with friends in the same area… Thanks Cambridge!

MaxDiehard 14 October, 2014 @ 2:02 am   13

Would be nice if PSTV could actually stream the Vita itself to the TV, thus maintaining all touchscreen and pad features.

PSTV streaming a Ps vita on tv. they could have just put a mini hdmi on the vita for that like the shield but well….. It is a pretty nice idea i think, This could work like the wii u.

loadstone007s 14 October, 2014 @ 6:04 am   14

The checkpoint system was indeed very annoying, but I completed the game either way and enjoyed it A LOT. Multiplayer is a blast.

PLEASE release another blockbuster title like Killzone Mercenary, I really want another one 🙂

Kandracar 14 October, 2014 @ 9:30 am   15

This is excellent!! Now for Gravity Rush and Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

Can you increase the controller sensitivity in a future patch?
I have mine on the highest and it still isn’t sensitive enough for me.
I gave up playing for that reason.

Richie1883 14 October, 2014 @ 11:01 am   17

I like the way you hid the driveclub post wuth 100s complaining.Out of sight out of mind Sony new motto,well i hope Evoultion studios is shut down after this disastrous launch,and i wont be renewing my subscription as i was promised Driveclub PS+ and nearly a year later still waiting, really wish i hadn’t of believed everything ye said at e3 and both an xbox1,cause 75 per cent was blatant lies

TrueMurton 14 October, 2014 @ 11:41 pm

You must have watched a different reveal for DriveClub than I did because I actually watched that briefing again in order post stuff in DriveClub update posts and literally the only true words that Rushy spoke were that he was working on a game called DriveClub.

Richie1883 14 October, 2014 @ 11:02 am   18

Bought*

nulenvoid 14 October, 2014 @ 11:29 am   19

Save mid level is a godsend thank you, being a pick up and play device it kind of needs it, there’s been many a time where I’ve had a spare 10 minutes but side stepped Killzone because I wasn’t sure if I’d finish it or not and have to restart. Best game on Vita easily, in a lot of ways better than PS4’s Shadow Fall.

theo_andravida 14 October, 2014 @ 12:39 pm   20

Xm, the ps vita tv update came really quick, but even if the start from checkpoint feature was one of the requests from the players, i think there are far more important things and features that need to be added: 1) More guns and gun customization/attachments 2) new maps, old maps remakes welcome as well 😉 3) if possible addition of more modes, on botzone too 4) botzone game costumization( time, guns and others ) 5) Ad hoc mode, requested by many… 6) skins for players and for guns available for free or some to buy as well, those vectan dollars stuck up and actually become useless, it would be really nice to have something to spend those hard earned vectan dollars into 🙂 7) last and not least, CLANS! I know that this game was supposed to be a more kinda pure combat instead of hardcore gaming, but making clans available you are going to make it easier to play tournaments, the best players will stand out as well, because unless you have been playing since the beginning kzm , there is no way that you can show off and shine on the leaderboars on any chapter…Please add clans, WE need THEm!
Thats i think the most, i think that in next updates that you are going to address fixes for problems reported on the forum and other places, that you add some if not all of those suggestions. These are really going to make the game better

Coody-Baroody 14 October, 2014 @ 3:47 pm   21

@Matthew Porter

Can’t you do something about the trophy for getting Ace Valor Card? It’s so random it’s not true. We have ZERO info to read about its requirements and even after playing for a full 14-15 hours recently on Single player and Multiplayer AND performing excellently on both, I was still awarded a TWO the following day.

Whereas I have friends who told me they barely played the day before they got their Ace card. What’s the requirements? Can’t you spell it out for us so we know? This BRONZE (!!!!!!!) trophy is the bane of so many of your community’s existence on KZ Merc!

Blacknight835 15 October, 2014 @ 7:00 am   22

The checkpoint system is a good addition to the game, because I have always been wanting to leave a mission to play online but haven’t been able to because I don’t want to do the whole mission again. Also, if you complete a mission and then leave the screen that has, Mission Select, Restart Mission, Arms Dealer and Proceed, and you then later go Continue Campaign you have to watch and the previous missions briefing and I think the previous mission as well.

I have been playing this on my Japanese PS TV last night. Graphics are on par with Killzone 3 (PS3) which is a good thing looks really nice and plays really nice.