LittleBigPlanet 3 is fully backwards compatible

Your entire DLC Collection and your current Save Profiles will transfer to LBP3!

Sackboy has always been an avid collector of goodies and costumes, so he’s super-happy for us to tell you today that all of your previously purchased DLC and all of your collected LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2 goodies will be carried forward into LittleBigPlanet 3!

Your DLC Collection will carry forwards to LittleBigPlanet 3!

You will be able to bring all of your LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2 Level Packs straight to LittleBigPlanet 3, along with your entire wardrobe of outfits for your Sackboy or Sackgirl!

So if you have a whopping collection of goodies that you have purchased over the last six years, you can be rest assured that a simple re-download from LBP3’s in-game store will add your favourite content back into your Popit for use in LittleBigPlanet 3 at no additional cost.

Import Your Profile into LittleBigPlanet 3!

Not only is it good news for your DLC Collection because if you’re a long-time fan and have played either LittleBigPlanet or LittleBigPlanet 2 previously, you will be able to import all of the goodies that you have collected in those titles to use in LittleBigPlanet 3.

That’s right! Every single Costume Piece, Material, Object, Music Track and any other creative goodies that you have collected in your previous adventures with Sackboy will be able to be imported into LittleBigPlanet 3!

Your LittleBigPlanet Earth will join you too!

Finally, if you have ever published any LittleBigPlanet or LittleBigPlanet 2 levels previously, you will be able to find them on your ever-familiar LittleBigPlanet Earth within LittleBigPlanet 3 so that you can pick up exactly where you left off with your published creations.

Best of all, if you have any custom content that you want to transfer from your PlayStation 3 to LittleBigPlanet 3 on the PlayStation 4, you can publish levels containing this content in Prize Bubbles so that your Sackboy or Sackgirl can visit these levels to pick your goodies up for your latest creations on PlayStation 4!

One of our biggest goals with LittleBigPlanet 3 on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 was to ensure that all of your previous hard work and item collections would carry over into the latest instalment in the series, so we’re very happy to be able to bring this news to you today.

If that was a lot to take in and you feel that you may need some additional guidance on how exactly to transfer your goodies to LittleBigPlanet 3… Don’t worry, we will have you covered and you will be able to find a full set of instructions in our FAQ section on, closer to launch!

Meet Swoop!

In the last two weeks, we’ve shared with you more information about Sackboy’s new friends – introducing first Toggle and then OddSock. Let’s talk about Swoop today! Swoop is like a gift from the heavens. By wafting along the invisible thought patterns of the Imagisphere, Swoop can reach breathtaking heights, perform sharp turns and nail-biting dives. With her talons of steel (okay… they are actually pipe cleaners, but don’t tell anyone) Swoop can grab many types of material and lift them up, up and away to wherever you want.

Click here to learn more about the new character and check out the brief video below!

Did you enjoy this?

135 Comments 12 Author replies
Show oldest first
AL3KS4ND3R_1337 31 October, 2014 @ 2:41 pm   1

So when is Run Sackboy Run releasing in europa on ps vita?

Robinworldwide 31 October, 2014 @ 2:47 pm

Nope never, they rather have you playing it on your cell than on that vulgar device that must not be named!

Steven Isbell 31 October, 2014 @ 2:51 pm

We don’t have a date locked down for PS Vita just yet but we will try to get it to you as soon as possible.

@Dr Robinworldwide
    Why don´t you go pix the cat, instead of making jokes about sack?!

Robinworldwide 31 October, 2014 @ 3:03 pm

I’m not joking when it comes to sack…he is my God. It’s just pathetic how Sony keeps treating the Vita as an afterthought.

What is Run Sackboy, Run?

AbdulRauf-99 3 November, 2014 @ 5:54 pm

Will there be a demo on PS3?

agentcyclone42 31 October, 2014 @ 2:44 pm   2

These are really good news! It is a pity the delay on Europe…Can´t waite for November 26!

Steven Isbell 31 October, 2014 @ 3:39 pm

Neither can we! We’re so looking forward to everyone across the globe getting their hands on LittleBigPlanet 3!

ScooterMix 31 October, 2014 @ 2:52 pm   4

So all content and levels and costumes i have on lbp and lbp2 can tranfer to LBP3 on ps4 that steven saying. If so i might get lbp3 on ps4

ScooterMix 31 October, 2014 @ 2:53 pm   5

So steven has LBP HUB been cancelled ?

Steven Isbell 31 October, 2014 @ 3:06 pm

Right now we’re really focused on LittleBigPlanet 3.
    We don’t have any updates on LittleBigPlanet HUB at the moment.

ScooterMix 31 October, 2014 @ 3:17 pm

thanks both replys steven really good news :]

murderdroll 31 October, 2014 @ 2:53 pm   6

CRASHBASHUK 31 October, 2014 @ 2:55 pm   7

where is the digital pre-order for this game? nothing has been added to the store yet

CRASHBASHUK 31 October, 2014 @ 2:59 pm   8

also how do we import profile? with USB?

Steven Isbell 31 October, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

If you use the same PSN that you used for LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2, you will be able to import your goodies at the touch of a button.

Either via a prompt when you first begin LittleBigPlanet 3 or at a later date in the Pause Menu.

Nice thanks! … good news this.

If only we were able to preorder it now (including all the DLC bonusses) then it would really be a good day.

Wait, how can we transfer our LBP 2 save to the LBP 3 PS4 version???

Steven Isbell 31 October, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

It’s as easy as clicking on a prompt to import your LBP1 and LBP2 goodies upon beginning LittleBigPlanet 3!

You can also import additional goodies that you collect from those titles at a later time by going to the Pause Menu.

MaxDiehard 31 October, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

Is the amount of Goodies we can hold been expanded?

@Steven Isbell Cool, thanks. I’m hoping to get a PS4 as well as LBP3 soon as my PS3 is running out of storage anyway

MaxDiehard 31 October, 2014 @ 3:05 pm   11

Is the PS4 version limited in terms of how much we create seeing as it’s backwards compatible with PS3?

I want it to fully utilise the system and not be held back just so it can be played on a less powerful version that can’t handle extreme levels of detail.

I like we can use the old content, dlc and made levels, but making the levels made in PS4 backwards compatible is not a great choice. With the new tech we can go above and beyond and it’s disappointing that is locked. Because of that I’m holding off.

MaxDiehard 31 October, 2014 @ 11:06 pm

I’ve read up on some of the new Create features from the beta and I think these tools compensate for the Level of Detail.

‘Soooo, how about them infinity levels? The term is a slight misnomer, as explained by StevenI in another thread the infinity levels are possible because of the new Dynamic Thermometer. By turning on a Dynamic Thermo, you tell the level to only load what is currently on screen (and you can set loading area sizes and shapes, choosing from standard rectangles to long rectangles, squares, etc) – this opens up the crushing limitations many of us face when we just want to squish all the logic, assets and pretties we can into one tight space. I don’t think many have had the chance to play with this feature extensively enough yet, but here’s the gist of it.

You turn on Dynamic thermometer, and select your loading area. Now, bear in mind that when you do this, objects off-screen are not ‘present’ in the level – much as though they are being streamed to the player’s system. So if you’re working with wireless logic etc, you’ll need something to help you… There’s a tool for that!

The Permanency Tweaker can be used to tell a level that an object is ‘always on’ – say you have a logic epicentre, filled to the brim with broadcasting chips for that yummy wireless logic awesomeness. Pop a permanency tweaker on it and the level will always listen. Without the tweaker, if this logic centre were off-screen, it would be ignored.’

MaxDiehard 31 October, 2014 @ 11:10 pm

‘The Preloader is also a very handy tool where you can select items which should be loaded before the player arrives at them. A complex object, for example, or… You know, I don’t know. I’m hoping someone else can shed more light on this one – but my guess is it will help the creator to reduce lag incurred by streaming a supermassive section as opposed to getting it prepped beforehand.

On a similar tangent, the Loading Linker is a tool which feels like an advanced glue tool – using it, you select pieces of the level which belong with each other, so that they always load together. Just imagine a character that you’ve lovingly crafted from materials is loaded, but only one half shows up at a time! This just won’t do – using this tool will (I presume) ensure that materials that belong together, stay together.

Infinity Levels – are they infinite? In physical space… No. They still use the same building area as other levels on LBP3 (which does feel substantially bigger btw… that might be my imagination, so not confirmed yet) But with the dynamic thermo and the infinity level tools, you will be able to squeeze so much more epic into your levels!’

TrueMurton 31 October, 2014 @ 3:07 pm   12

That’s great news. A shame that the game has been delayed for such a small minded reason though, I know that “officially” its been delayed to get away from the Ubisoft games but we all know that really its to give you time to create a patch that removes a particular entry from the soundtrack that some people from a certain minority may choose to be offended by.

Weird that these censorship concerns don’t appear to apply to Sony America…

DevilDiscord 31 October, 2014 @ 3:12 pm   13

Is that Smooth Mcgroove doing the music in that Meet Swoop video?

winner_he 31 October, 2014 @ 3:17 pm   14

supersmith2500 31 October, 2014 @ 3:18 pm   15

In case PSN has issues with LBP3. I’ll wait until 2015.

AirHunter0895 31 October, 2014 @ 3:20 pm   16

StevenI,when you mean that LBP3 will be fully compatible with previous DLC,does that mean it will work with Cross Controller pack,and we will be able to use our Vita to…well do cross controller thingies? And if so,will it work on PS4? Also,if we never played LBP2 on PS3,will we be able to purchase DLC from PS4 PSN store?

MaxDiehard 31 October, 2014 @ 3:29 pm

You’re better off buying the PS3 DLC, as you get LBPK, and Vita versions free. If you buy Cross-Buy content on PS4, it won’t work backwards.

AirHunter0895 31 October, 2014 @ 3:57 pm

MaxDiehard i don’t own a PS3,so that is why i am asking about the PS4 version.

AirHunter0895 31 October, 2014 @ 4:00 pm

Oh and i should specify,i meant level packs and everything else except for costumes.

MaxDiehard 31 October, 2014 @ 4:03 pm

Yes, but PS3 is the best all rounder as you get the Vita versions too.

AirHunter0895 31 October, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

I agree to that,but the thing is level packs (PS3 ones) are NOT compatible with Vita,so i am asking about the PS4 store. I will buy costumes from Vita PSN store because then i will get costumes for PS4 and Vita,instead of just PS4. Thanks for advice though! Would have been useful if i had PS3.

MaxDiehard 31 October, 2014 @ 5:47 pm

Well buying Vita costumes will also unlock the other versions, but some costume packs have stickers with them. Buying the Vita versions won’t unlock them as most aren’t available, just the costumes.

RabidJellyfish 31 October, 2014 @ 3:25 pm   17

The link to meet swoop redirects to “Meet Oddsock” :[

That is simply awesome! You guys are great. Can’t wait for the 28th of November.

Also: Hugh Laurie FTW.

yassineya 31 October, 2014 @ 3:51 pm   19

Please, when will we be able to preorder LittleBigPlanet3 on the European Playstation Store?
It’s still not there despite it was anounced long ago.

I’m trying to preorder it for the PS3… I tried from the French and Spanish PS STORES and it’s not there, neither for PS3 nor PS4; I even tried from the Web-Store version and it doesn’t have it.
Suprisingly enough, in the US store, you can preorder it.

Please, I’m desesperate D: I really love LBP I don’t want to miss week-1…

ste_the_legend 31 October, 2014 @ 3:59 pm   20

This is all really great news although I expected nothing less from the talented folks behind LBP ^_^

Now any chance of a sale on the Muppets, DC or Cross-Controller Pack DLC to celebrate the new game? 😛

Bring on November 28th. I don’t suppose you know if any LBP3 merchandise will be out before Christmas? Want to get a Toggle teddy for my cousin (not for me honest).

Just as I anticipated! LBP has always kept its community connected. LBP 3 is shaping up to be the best game of this year. Hats off to you Steven, and all the others working on the game 🙂

I do have one question however. From BETA footage of LBP 3 (how controversial!), the story levels from the first game (in the gardens) re-appeared, except the player controlled Toggle. These levels were either incredibly well done recreations of the first game, or they were ported in somehow.

This got me thinking….perhaps in a future update, would you ever consider bringing in the stories from LBP 1 and 2, for players to play again? There are many people out there who haven’t collected all the prize bubbles, or even had the chance to play the stories the first two games. Perhaps you could create a pod portal that sends us back in time 🙂

That would be really cool!
    However, some LittleBigPlanet levels have been captured and published and some LittleBigPlanet 2 beta levels have also.

Great news! But I may have a problem with the data transfer.

My LBP 1 and 2 games were NTSC versions and all the DLC was bought on the US store, would I be able to transfer it to a PAL version of the game?

yassineya 31 October, 2014 @ 4:23 pm

No. DLC from EU stores only work with games from their respective region. Same with US and JAP/ASIA
    If you get LBP3 PAL, you won’t be able to use NTSC Dlc.

dadrester 31 October, 2014 @ 4:45 pm   24

I’ve been too busy to follow LBP3 news too closely. Have you talked or are you talking about new create mode tools at all? Will LBP3 include some of the stuff from the Vita version? Anyway. You’ve got a day 1 purchase from me, even if I don’t get round to creating as much this time round.

Cpt_Yanni 31 October, 2014 @ 4:58 pm   25

Will I be able to import my custom made costumes Steven? Thanks in advance for the answer!

Steven Isbell 31 October, 2014 @ 5:15 pm

LBP3 on PS3 – You will be able to import automatically.

LBP3 on PS4 – You can save your custom costumes in a Prize Bubble on your Earth in LBP or LBP2 and you will be able to visit that level and pick them up again in LBP3!

Steven,I understand you said you need to get a prize bubble and save your old LBP costumes on LBP or LBP2 but I have actually lost my LBP2 disc and the LBP2 digital version is there a way of saving your old profile and import it with a USB to PS4?

MarSSSteR 31 October, 2014 @ 5:03 pm   26

@ Steven Isbell: very nice that you take the responsibility of your team to respond to your fans VS a lot of threads (teams) who give no reaction add all. Good support is most important: thanks!

My wife loves you Sackboy! But i have to get the trophies: to difficult for her 😉

Steven Isbell 31 October, 2014 @ 5:13 pm

Talking with fellow LittleBigPlanet fans is one of my favourite things to do!

mystic_wdt 31 October, 2014 @ 5:21 pm   27

I realised that their was no mention of the PS Vita in this article. So I was wondering if the costumes I have purchased on my Vita will also be backwards compatible? Please reply.

Pysiozaur 31 October, 2014 @ 5:30 pm   28

Sounds great, might finally play the older dlcs I never bought before!

Apart from dlcs, how about entire story levels? I’ve never played lbp1 and would have the opportunity to play it on ps4 now, as levels in lbp3.

SpyDudeFX 31 October, 2014 @ 5:36 pm   29

Is the trophy list shared or can you earn the LBP3 Platinum twice? Thanks.

Chazprime 31 October, 2014 @ 5:52 pm   30

Please please please add a “Download All” function for PS4 owners to update all their DLC…it’s a bit arduous doing them one by one. 🙂

Nickey211 31 October, 2014 @ 7:31 pm   31

This is the best. You don’t need to fiddle around with usb sticks or anything you just need to have the Pin… This is amazing!

This is the best system for transferring save data and items ever! Its all online! This is great for someone who had their PS3 bricked (me) and is about to get a PS4!

I was worried at first that the team at Sumo would mess some things up, but no… Every single news piece afterwards about this game really made me change my mind. And this blog post right here is the icing on the cake.

I can’t wait to play it.

alexbee_14 19 November, 2014 @ 5:45 am

The Pin? Im I missing something here? I tried USB sticks, and uploading all my save data and backup profiles from LBP2 and LBP3 PS3 (everything transferred alright to the ps3 version of lbp3) however nothing will transfer correctly to the ps4 version.

RyanSufc1997 31 October, 2014 @ 7:35 pm   32

Does my VITA stuff follow me too?

zlovkvetinaci 31 October, 2014 @ 8:08 pm   33

Can I import costumes or some other content from LBP Vita or LBP Karting?

RodrigoSharingan 31 October, 2014 @ 8:31 pm   34

Can i play with someone in the PS3 version, wen i have the PS4 version of the game?
Thats a really big question for me, because some of my best friends arent getting a PS4 like me, but they are getting LBP3-PS3 version. It would be a shame if i couldn’t. 🙁

plaztiksyke 31 October, 2014 @ 9:16 pm   35

I’m also curious if “level packs” containing the LBP1 and LBP2 content will be available so we can play those games on PS4 with the rendering improvements.

The Move levels/puzzles in LBP2 were incredibly fun; does LBP3 have Move levels? It was a really fantastic way to support multi-player for people who weren’t skilled with the DualShock.

does LBP3 support stereo 3D on 3DTVs, at least on PS4? Trine 2 is just beautiful in 3D on PS4, and the extra depth levels in LBP3 would really lend themselves to stereo 3D!

sladescott 31 October, 2014 @ 10:23 pm   36

If we have PlayStation Plus, and we Upload our LBP2 data to the Cloud. Can we import our data to LBP3 on PS4 as simply if it were on PS3. Or do we HAVE to put it in a Prize Bubble in a level?…..

IncredibleLuigi 31 October, 2014 @ 10:24 pm   37

Any word on the Android release of Run Sackboy! Run!?

I want to know 2 things. 1st, will LBP3 be cross platform? Like if I want to play on a PS4, but someone else doesn’t have a PS4 they can play on, will we be able to play together on different consoles? 2nd, will Oddsock be able to grab?

nextbigthing91 31 October, 2014 @ 11:17 pm   39

Ah yes! This is probably one of my favourite things about the LBP series; everything is backwards and forwards compatible. Makes the whole thing feel much more like an ever growing universe, its neat.

audincoleman12 31 October, 2014 @ 11:54 pm   40

so. Will the people of LBP3 on PS4 be able to play online with the people who has it on PS3
Please, I really really would like to know

I have a question. My PS3 died before I had the chance to upload my LBP1 and LBP2 save file to ps+. Can I still access all the goodies I collected in those games by using the same PSN account? If not, will there be a way to unlock all the goodies from the previous games? I still have the games but I don’t have a PS3, only a PS4 so I can’t replay them.

the_Glitcher1705 1 November, 2014 @ 1:48 am   42

Will littlebigplanet 3 be shareplay compatible. I don’t really care that much because my internet can’t handle it. Tbh im curious if the costume stickers objects and etc have more space.

MaxDiehard 1 November, 2014 @ 2:02 am

All PS4 games are SharePlay compatible. It’s not up to the developer as it’s not something they implement.

AlexAtkinUK 3 November, 2014 @ 12:18 am

Developers can choose to block SharePlay though, so its still a relevant question.

Cjmusashi33 1 November, 2014 @ 6:33 am   43

I am very disappointed with the lack of game on the Vita. Sony really abandonned the Vita owners.

RedHotSackboy 1 November, 2014 @ 7:58 am   44

how does this profile importing just like lbp 2s work if we have our lbp 2 profiles on our ps3 harddrives when im getting it on ps4?

how exacly will i be able to transfer my stuff from my PS3 game (lbp2) to LBP3 on PS4 ? will it going to be like, picking up the data with a pen drive or a external HD ? or i have to get my account working on PS4 to get it ?

Rixx4Trixx 1 November, 2014 @ 3:06 pm   46

Will LittleBigPlanet 3 be multilingual in USA? I need to know this because i bought LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 on a journey to USA but i live in Germany. THe US Version of LittleBigPlanet 1 did have german voice and text but LittleBigPlanet 2 was completely english.

Hi, I have a question about LittleBigPlanet 3 in Europe. Will it be multi-language version? Because I’m thinking of buing PS4 + LBP3 bundle while I’m in Germany, but I would like to play it in Polish language. Is it possible? Does the game change language according to language set in console?

godoflbp2 2 November, 2014 @ 5:41 pm   48

Hey Stevenl pretty please can i join lbp3 beta thank-you your a nice guy Stevenl bye

skyline0128 2 November, 2014 @ 6:01 pm   49

Can you play lbp2 on the ps4?

SuperGhostbuster 2 November, 2014 @ 6:16 pm   50

I’m confused on what it means by “if you have any custom content that you want to transfer from your PlayStation 3 to LittleBigPlanet 3 on the PlayStation 4, you can publish levels containing this content in Prize Bubbles so that your Sackboy or Sackgirl can visit these levels to pick your goodies up for your latest creations on PlayStation 4”. Does that mean our custom objects won’t transfer over the same way the saves do, or does it mean something else entirely?

Load all