Posted

The Hungry Horde lurches onto PS Vita this week

Turn the tables on mankind and take control of a zombie army

Hey Vita fans! Andreas Firnigl here again. I’m one of the guys at Nosebleed Interactive, the folks bringing you The Hungry Horde for PS Vita. We’ve been working super hard for the last few months to make the game feel as slick and polished as possible so I’m really excited and proud to finally be able to tell you that you’ll be able to race up the leaderboards and compete with friends tomorrow when the game finally rises from the grave… and goes live on PlayStation Store.

THH-Gamescom Picture

In case you missed our first PlayStation Blog post here’s a quick recap on the basics of the game. The core premise is that you play as your very own horde of zombies fighting for survival (a sort of reverse survival horror, I suppose). Humans you “recruit” join your ever increasing horde in a constant race against the clock to escape the area before the military nuke you.

The guys over at XDEV Studio Europe were kind enough to send me over to Gamescom in August (thanks chaps!) where we had a short demo on the show floor. All of us were equal parts anxious and excited to see what the players would think of it. I spent a lot of time watching people play and it was an amazing feeling seeing people laugh and smile at the demo. What was especially cool, was seeing people have “just one more go”, which at a show where the likes of The Order: 1886 and Project Morpheus were playable just round the corner, was wonderful.

As we covered in the last post, The Hungry Horde is chock full of minigames. You can find them hidden in presents within the main game, and they offer a little breather from the hectic action as well as a chance to win extra prizes. Everybody has their favourite, so I thought I’d share a bit about my own: Pacifist Island.

THH-Screenshot 1

In it, you play as a lone zombie on a beautiful tropical island, just minding your own business. You’re not the usual rage-filled, bloodthirsty undead type. You like peace and quiet and coconuts. Unfortunately, the military aren’t quite so diplomatic and they’re out to get you. Survive as long as possible by dodging bullets and positioning yourself so the soldiers, tanks and helicopters hit each other instead of you.

A lot of the inspiration for Pacifist Island has come from bullet-hell shooters — we even threw in some cool, coconut-based power-ups for good measure. Of course there are more mini-games, like the light gun inspired Cryo Crisis and microscopic-collect-em-up Infection, but you’ll have to play the game to see what they’re about!

One of the things we haven’t shown off yet is the sticker album. We really wanted everything in our game to feel tangible and tactile, from the playable arcade cabinets and ghetto-blaster right through to the menu system. Our menu is set up like a sticker album with over 150 collectible stickers. Special foil stickers unlock minigames and extras and everything looks and feels like you’re flicking through a real sticker book. We’re hoping people are going to love earning stickers, opening packs and trying to fill the book. There’s a lot to do.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

And on the subject of “lots to do”, another thing we haven’t spoken about yet is Trophies. We LOVE trophies! It took a bit of persuasion but after seeing the Trophies we had planned our producer at XDEV said “Yes, I’ll make sure you guys can have Platinum Trophy support.” If that’s not enough for you though, we also have 150 in-game objectives to complete, you know, just because they’re fun!

71 Comments
0 Author replies
mihalekpihalek 03 November, 2014 @ 15:08

Definitely looking forward!!! By the way – it would be nice to add that this game going to be part of ” yet to be announced” IGC for November…..Sony Sony Sony….

Most probably Nosebleed Interactive can’t say anything about it because of some kind of NDA.

I don’t think that Hungry Horde is something 100% sure now. Sure we saw plenty of materials (videos/mails) that pointed that it might be true… but there IS some reason why SCEE/SCEA kept being silent. Now the question is “what reason?”

Are they trying to change lineup after hearing people complaints? Or do they just want to avoid negative feedback before uploading games? Dunno…

But frankly speaking I don’t care… whatever they will add to IGC I just don’t care anymore. One less reason to be angry, no?

Hey Guys. Andreas here (or Dre for short)… I can confirm we’ll be on PS+ this month. We’re super excited about it and can’t wait to hear what you folks think of the game.

As for PlayStation TV support, we’ll have more news on that in the future ;)

@dadrester
Thx for confirmation,
Some probably will be about 17% more relaxed after your reply.

Show more replies

looks good ill add it to download list for when i get a vita again.

is it playstation tv compatible?

hopefully your post wont be over run with plus questions but as its doubtful ill just say good luck with your title :)

Is this free on ps plus or has that changed now

It concerns me even if this game isn’t of great interest to myself that there is no mention of it being part of PS Plus this month. This leads me to wonder if there isn’t a bigger problem following on from there being no actual announcement for PS PLus outside of NA.

come to think of it i dont think the usa blog has “officially ” announced anything just ign and other sites

5.2

The US had their plus announcement on the blog, but has since been removed.

never knew they took it off the blog that is a bit odd.

Show more replies

First off: I respect you devs and no harsh feelings. You probably shouldn’t read the rest of my comment, it is primarily directed against what PS Plus is becoming.

Hungry Horde looks like a wild collection of simple C64 games. Games too simple to raise any interest on their own, since the 90s. But cheap versions of several of those game ideas being bundled together … wohoo!

Sorry, I guess one can register that I’m not impressed. And I’m even less impressed that we are forced to pay for such games via Plus.

I bet the devs will feel great after reading your review of their hard work and effort.

madmanwithabox12 03 November, 2014 @ 15:51
6.2

@Golwar: Rude and ignorant. Okay you might not like the IGC right now. Okay this game might not interest you. But that’s no excuse to badmouth what these guys have been working towards all this time.

Imagine it from their perspective – a small team making a nice little game for the Vita community only to get a bunch of people telling them their game is unworthy of being part of a free collection and complaining about PS Plus.

Well I hope that devs have better reading abilities than you seem to have Smash. Then they’ll register that I just can’t get excited for such a mini game bundle and primarily oppose the idea to enforce its payment on everyone via Plus.

Nothing of that is related to their work efforts. I’d only blame them for making the choice to develop a game that most likely wouldn’t be a financial success on its own. But thanks to Sony this doesn’t matter. They don’t have to fear any negative results, as millions have no other choice than to pay for it.

So once more the summary for you, as it seems that this went above your head: I primarily criticize Plus.
It seems that Plus’ focus is shifting away from customer interest towards being a social welfare program for indies. And sorry, that wasn’t my primary interest when I paid in advance.

Boo hoo, am I evil for expressing that opinion.

Show more replies

I was actually pleased when I thought I was getting this in the igc this month but seems to be looking worryingly doubtful…

fred is on holiday.

i honestly think if he was here there would have at least been some kind of communication from his twitter about the delay to the news rather than this radio silence thats happening at the moment

this should have been a reply to 5 not its own post, man i hate this blog site now

Fred was on holiday last week. Doesn’t matter anyway, they have enough people either here or in the US who are capable to communicate. They simply chose not to do so at all.
But at least Sid promised details “soon”.

i agree someone competent should have been left to deal with things.

but sony and competent often dont go together so its to be expected :D

I got the monthly email from Playstation UK that usually comes out a week or so after the IGC refresh but it lists Binding of Isaac; Frozen Synapse and Hungry Horde.

I can guarantee this thread will be overrun with people moaning about IGC in 3.2.1……
Give it a rest. Jeez.

This game looks awesome, well done guys!

That awkward moment when no one cares about any post made here until the PS+ situation is clarified.

thats every day that has a Y in it round this place

I actually also got the e-mail about the November IGC.. and of course it confirms what was “leaked” about a week ago. They probably want to keep as quiet about this months IGC as possible, thats why they will only mention the IGC in few short words this months. For this few words I suggest: “We couln’d find any cheaper games, so here they are: #4thePlayers”.

My comment: stop the IGC, it became worthless, don’t be a kickstarter (using my and other ps+ members money) for Indies. Put the money into improving PSN in a way that people can actually notice.

CookieMonsterES 03 November, 2014 @ 17:26
12.1

Better yet, don’t renew your subscription if you think you can invest your money better. I, for one, am very happy to be able to play 72 games for less than €50/year. Certainly, the solution isn’t to “stop” the IGC for everyone as you said. Use your money more wisely if you think you aren’t doing it now.

dirtiestturnip 03 November, 2014 @ 15:41

I’m looking forward to playing this game. I like the idea of the sticker book, reminds me of plants vs zombies garden warfare.

madmanwithabox12 03 November, 2014 @ 15:45

Looks pretty good, me likey. =D

However, I’m afraid that any Vita game that comes out in the immediate future is going to have a hard time swaying me away from Freedom Wars. =/

That said, rest assured. You are on my radar. :D

My physical copy is still sealed while I try and complete rainbow moon. I hope it’s good

madmanwithabox12 03 November, 2014 @ 17:47
14.2

It’s sooooo good man. A little slow to fully hand over the reigns, but that’s understandable since there’s a lot to learn at first. But once you get into it, it’s such a blast to play.

Should come out last week

Looks very good – and platinum :o)

This game looks like its going to be great fun and it looks perfect for the Vita.

Also this thread is not for all you entitled cry babies to complain about PS Plus, give it up already.

CookieMonsterES 03 November, 2014 @ 17:29
17.1

Completely agree with you. Some comments are uncalled for and out of place.

Looking forward to play it, Andreas!

ste_the_legend 03 November, 2014 @ 16:32

I’ll certainly give it a go as it’s free on PS+. It’s a bit unfair of people to write the game off without trying it themselves or seeing any sort of review.

18.1

Would you also recommend Justin Bieber ‘non-fans’ go to his concert if they havent given him a chance?
Would you also recommend people give Xbox one with DRM a chance before they hate on it? (afterall we apparently could have shared games with 10 other people)

Could give you countless more examples…. the point is that theres no logic in that sort of argument. People have a good idea of the types of games they like and dislike. The ship sailed a long time ago on indies for the vast majority of people (also the reason why the official poll is gone)

Anyway if they still want to downgrade the IGC games then fine, but the price should decrease proportionately. Then it would be fair.

If the games are changing, I’m worried they are going to dig up a replacement from like 5 years ago =(
But as long as its a AAA it would still be better than the games that were leaked.

I’m very interested in this game, I loved it since the first post on this blog in which you described it, but… Why not a retail version? I mean: it’s one of the very few Sony’s Vita exclusives of this sad year, it had the same destiny as Murasaki Baby and, probably, Oreshika. Sony owns the IP and publish the game, so it’s not an indie, SCEE has no excuses. I hope you guys make it available on your website at least, every collector and core gamer wants a physical copy of a so pretty game :)

I’m definitely going to give this game a try :)

Maybe, just maybe, the plus games are so bad this month because they are going to treat us for Christmas,,,,,,,,,,, ha!

Inherentdragon 03 November, 2014 @ 19:20

I feel it’s unfair to the developers of this game to come on and either insult their hard work before even giving it a go or just to start moaning about how bad ps plus has become.I think this game looks amazing and I for one can’t wait to play it!I have played a lot of indie games and only a few times been disappointed.They deserve a lot more credit than they are given.

What’s the age rating for this as my kids have plus and if it’s a 12 it’ll be a bit unfair. Looks fun.

24.1

Hey ten-bucks, We managed to get a PEGI 7. There’s kind of a lot of gore in the game, but it’s a bit more Garbage Pail Kids than Nightmare on Elm street, if you know what I mean. Very tongue in cheek and done more for comic effect and player feedback than out and out scary gore.

This looks pretty fun, and I think that’s what games are supposed to be. I’ll be sure to give it a try!
Great work!

zalwelgoedgaan 04 November, 2014 @ 11:26

The 80s music in the trailer sounds cool and it’s nice to have a Vita exclusive, but something about this game might make me a tad uncomfortable. It’s not like I fear violent 18+ games either (Left 4 Dead is one of my favorite games), maybe it’s the sum of all things. Maybe I’m just tripping. It’s probably that.

I guess I’ll try it out. It’s for PS+ anyway, haha.

I have a 400 euro costing console to play this crapfest. Just two more weeks, finally far cry 4 and ac unity will be upon us and we can forget this indie invasion.

400 euro for a vita? boy you got robbed.

either that or you never bothered to read the post before replying ;)

CookieMonsterES 04 November, 2014 @ 17:11
27.2

Maximum fail.

Don’t worry, we’ll forget you post way sooner than that, zaltman. Or perhaps we won’t and we’ll add it to the Hall of Shame.

Downloaded it earlier, it’s a pretty fun little game. It’s one of them that you can pick up for a quick session, or have a few hours on. It’s very enjoyable for what it is, many thanks so far.

Downloaded too.
Very good ideas but i am very disappointed:

-Lot of lags in the game, lots of lag in pacific island.
-Lot of problem in gameplay, (ex in infection the white come at full speed after they appeared, and there is session where you have no chance to survive)
-problem of camera in the main game: she becomes crazy sometimes…

And pixelart. The vita have a hd screen…

This game would be awesome on smartphone, but i’m sorry, i can’t recommend it on vita…too many issues to fix

Inherentdragon 07 November, 2014 @ 16:30

I love this game! Lots of variety what with having the mini games within the main game.Not had any trouble with lag or such personally but maybe I’m just lucky.It’s a great little time waster but such a shame I won’t be picking up that platinum..cuz I’m cr*p at it!

I’ve downloaded the patch but still having problems with the game with regards to constant slowdown/framerate drops and screen tearing after about 20 minutes of play. It still seems to be after the 2nd time I have played the infection sub game via the presents. Eventually the game screen then goes black and is unplayable.

Also, is the ‘Still Alive’ trophy glitched?

The descriptions says to stay alive for 3:33 in Zombat cabinet view. I’ve got to 5+ mins in the min-game via extras and also above 4 mins via the Present in game. But it still hasn’t popped. Or does it mean 3 hours 33 mins…?

Hey Sleem01,

To get the “Still Alive” trophy you need to be playing in Cabinet view. When you start the game from the minigames menu (or via the sticker) press the triangle button. That will change your view. Then stay alive for 3 minutes and 33 seconds. Props for staying alive for more than 5 minutes by the way. That’s no mean feat!!!

Hi Dadrester,

Thanks for the reply, pressing the triangle button then playing the game did the trick. I didn’t even know you could do that. Aside from the little glitches, this is actually quite a fun game.

Only wish the time given after completing each night was a little greater as the military base area/crushing walls can be a little unforgiving on checkpoints and so I can only get to night 5. Not sure how some of the guys on the leaderboards have got such a massive score lol.

Thanks again :)

Hey Sleem01,

Thanks for the comments. It means a lot. I’m hoping to do another blog post with some hints and tips on the game as well as revealing some of the more obscure easter eggs and hat tips in the game.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history