Posted

The Banner Saga, Armikrog, Kyn and Toren confirmed for PS4

Publisher Versus Evil picks up a brace of indie gems for your enjoyment

If you haven’t been hiding under a rock for the last two or three years you’ll have noticed that there’s an underground movement in the world of video games, a movement that has been driven by the talented AAA developers who have become fed up of big corporate development environments and being told what to do.

These talented and brave ‘indie warriors’ have thrown all caution to the wind, leaving well paid jobs to develop games they’ve personally been wanting to make for years – without anyone dictating to them about what to do and how to do it. You can’t blame them, it’s a lot more motivating to work around the clock on a game that YOU believe in and that YOU have control of, rather than a faceless senior exec, but man, it’s a big risk.

Versus Evil is a like-minded indie publisher who has been lucky enough to partner with several of these talented studios, to help them launch their ‘babies’ into the big, wide, rabid world of gamers. Yes, that’s YOU lot! We are beyond excited to tell you about a few games that will be coming to PlayStation 4 in early 2015. Each one is unique in its own right:

Armikrog

This is just a really weird way to make a game, but it works! From the original game creators of Earthworm Jim and the Neverhood, comes a point and click adventure…wait for it… stop motion clay animation video game (try and say that 10 times quickly!). Supported by a quirky but quite mesmerising original soundtrack from Terry Taylor, Armikrog will throw you into a rich, colourful world packed with loveable oddball characters and a lot of toilet humour.

armikrog

The Banner Saga

The quality bar has been set! With several awards already under its belt and a second chapter already in the works, this indie hit is making its way to PlayStation 4. If you like turn-based strategy games or Vikings (or both) and appreciate stunning old school style 2D animation, this is definitely worth checking out. It’s a classic and one that has made a mark in video game history already.

Banner Saga

Kyn

It’s hard to imagine that two guys from Holland put this tactical RPG game together in just two years, by themselves! But they did, and it’s a big world of magic, colliding with Viking themes and hours upon hours of adventuring. All I can say is just be nice to the sheep.

Kyn

Toren

From fledgling Brazilian indie studio Swordtales, comes a dark fantasy adventure in which you have to guide a lonely child as she climbs the tower known as Toren. It’s an artistically beautiful game (yes it’s won awards for its art too!) with puzzles and treacherous enemies to defeat. Your inner ‘protective instincts’ will certainly be played on as you help Moonchild survive the journey from baby to adolescent.

Toren

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

34 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

INS1GHTFUL 10 November, 2014 @ 6:09 pm   1

Cool! Any chance of banner saga, kyn nor toren coming to vita?

Do you plan create any games for PSV?

Engage_Rage 10 November, 2014 @ 6:12 pm   3

Armikrog’s wordpress is completely empty, so you might wanna link to the kickstarter page instead.

Great that these games are coming to PS4 though ๐Ÿ˜€

Wow excellent news. I wanted to play The Banner Saga.

I do have a question. I backed Armikrog on kickstarter can I get a PS4 code for the game instead of the PC version?

Witcher70 10 November, 2014 @ 6:40 pm

Lucreto that is something you should ask the dev on Kickstarter, they usually have a contact email somewhere on their homepage, if not then drop them a PM on Kickstarter ๐Ÿ™‚

Ha, I was doing just that as we speak.

Witcher70 11 November, 2014 @ 4:14 pm

Hope you had some success ๐Ÿ™‚

zalwelgoedgaan 10 November, 2014 @ 6:38 pm   5

“stop motion clay animation video game (try and say that 10 times quickly!)”

I tried that and I bit my tongue. If I were an American, I would have already sued you.

kategorierna 10 November, 2014 @ 6:42 pm   6

Great news, these games look great! ๐Ÿ™‚

Add me to the list of people who would love to see Banner Saga on Vita.

So stoked Banner Saga is coming to PS4! Would love a Vita version too though ๐Ÿ˜‰

zalwelgoedgaan 10 November, 2014 @ 7:01 pm

2D graphics go well with the Vita, but I think the game’s HUD is way too big for the screen. Unless there’s gonna be some severe tinkering in order to make it fit.

Kyn on VITA, please!

The Banner Saga is such a wonderful experience. I hope it does well on PSN as well as it really deserves it. Not sure if it’d work interface wise but the artwork would look beautiful on a Vita.

andrewsqual 10 November, 2014 @ 7:20 pm   10

Holy moly, each game here looks better than the last (although I can look at them in any order on the post and say the same thing each time) ๐Ÿ™‚
Will have to try all these out at some point ๐Ÿ™‚

Crumptastic_86 10 November, 2014 @ 7:22 pm   11

Banner Saga? YES! Didn’t buy on PC as I was hoping it’d be ported to Vita…this will have to do ๐Ÿ™‚

WitheredBlossom 10 November, 2014 @ 8:21 pm   12

All these games look awesome! Totally stoked for Armikrog as I have very fond memories of Neverhood. I have also heard very good thing about The Banner Saga and was thinking about buying it on Steam, but I don’t play much on my PC anymore, so PS4 version will be really great. And the remaining two games look sweet as well. Looking forward to all of them, thank you for the good work.

Andre-Veelt 10 November, 2014 @ 8:25 pm   13

Armikrog that looks awesome!
Played The Neverhood when i was a wee lad :D.

Maulerr_NL 10 November, 2014 @ 8:29 pm   14

Van Neerlandsche bodem ๐Ÿ˜‰

Greenpeace08 10 November, 2014 @ 8:54 pm   15

Ooo these look good, more great games to look forward too, see how story and graphics appear throughout

Aces73High 10 November, 2014 @ 9:17 pm   16

Would have loved to have Banner Saga on my Vita ๐Ÿ™

LieutenantFatman 10 November, 2014 @ 9:25 pm   17

Great stuff, particularly interested in The Banner Saga, looking forward to that.

Sony Medievil 3 pls!

Great games all around. Thank you for bringing these games to PS4!

Formulapetch 10 November, 2014 @ 11:10 pm   20

they all look absolutely stunning. please give us more viking games and please port all of these games to Vita!!!!!!

I can vouch for Banner Saga. One of the great games to come out of KS. Absolutely adore it and I’ll be buying it again.

The rest looks really interesting. Especially Kyn. I’m a suckers for tactics ๐Ÿ™‚

UK_Rocklance 11 November, 2014 @ 1:30 am   22

There are tons of pixel ‘art’ ugly blocky indies flooding the PS4 and Sony keeps advertising them individually, repeatedly, bombarding us with blog post after blog post for each game, giving them undeserving air time. Yet when there are such good looking indies, they all get bundled together in one blog post, each getting barely a paragraph with only a link to their own websites for more info. No wonder people get the impression that IndieStation 4 is only for playing 8-bit games and that indie games are eye sores.

jos3moreira 11 November, 2014 @ 10:48 am   23

PS Vita please!

jon_h_blake 11 November, 2014 @ 12:57 pm   24

I had read months ago,that someone in the team,was interested in make a vita version of the Banner Saga.I hope those words are still there.A psvita version is always a good choice ๐Ÿ˜€

howboutthisthen 11 November, 2014 @ 3:42 pm   25

Banner Saga on PS Vita please, surely the touch controls from iOS are a natural fit!

Inherentdragon 11 November, 2014 @ 5:02 pm   26

These all look ace!especially Banner Saga.I seem to get alot more enjoyment out of the Indies just lately ( Dust,Resogun etc)than the triple A games..*cough* Evil Within*cough* keep it up!

loadstone007s 12 November, 2014 @ 7:22 am   27

Vita support, PLEASE! ๐Ÿ™‚

Have Banner Saga already on Steam but prob will double dip for PS4. Just to support an awesome game coming to PS4.

FarronFox 20 November, 2014 @ 2:38 am   29

It’s so awesome to hear Armikrog is coming to PS4. I backed the kickstarter when I only knew of the PC version. I love the Neverhood & Klaymen! Oh and Earthworm Jim too!