Posted

Nidhogg arrives on PS4 and PS Vita today

PS Plus members get a discount on the outrageously fun fencing throwdown

Nidhogg is FINALLY out today in the EU, and to our fans who have been jealous of the US release a few weeks ago, we really appreciate your patience. There were a few snags with QA, but all that is behind us now as Nidhogg is now available in the PAL region! Yippie!

If you haven’t played it already, it’s a stupid-fun two-player fencing-fighting game great for parties and awesome for online and offline play at home. The launch price is £11.99/€14.99/AU$22.95, and PlayStation Plus members get a 20% discount for the next two weeks.

15526476061_f6214021c5_o

The best part is that Nidhogg features Cross-Buy and Cross-Play; meaning, if you own one, you own them all, and you can play across platforms! If you prefer playing with your friends in person, you can throw a Nidhogg party, since there is a built-in tournament mode for three to eight people.

You can play in single-player mode against AI opponents, or you can connect to PSN over wi fi and play against other players, whether they’re on a PS Vita, PS4, or PlayStation TV! You can even play online across systems, such as: Vita vs PS4, Vita vs PlayStationTV, or PS4 vs PSTV. If you’re out of wi fi range and you just want to play someone on the bus, or on a long car trip with two PS Vitas, you can do that in Vita-to-Vita ad-hoc mode. If you just have one PS Vita and two people, you can still play! The left stick controls one player and the right stick controls the other!

Nidhogg’s soundscape consists of four dynamic songs by electronic music magician, Daedelus. The music track levels change based on the action on-screen, so you’ll never hear the same version twice!

We hope you are as excited to play Nidhogg as we are in bringing it to you — en garde!

35 Comments
0 Author replies
madmanwithabox12 12 November, 2014 @ 12:41

SCEE QA seems to be a common problem lately. It’s really annoying. <__<

Glad to see Nidhogg arrive though. =)

madmanwithabox12 12 November, 2014 @ 13:22
1.1

I will say that price is a bit steep though. I bet the Americans, who also got it earlier, had to pay less than that. Talk about inequality, based simply on where we’re born. =/

1.2

NA launch price was $14.99.

ImmovableTonyG1 12 November, 2014 @ 12:42

Oh good another 8-bit looking game to play on a next-gen console!

Quit your insufferable whining and play something else then, Nidhogg is an absolute beast!

I wish this was an 8-bit looking game. Mario Bros 3 never looked this bad. I understand it’s the gameplay that matters but it looks like they aren’t even trying in the graphics department. :(

ImmovableTonyG1 12 November, 2014 @ 12:51
2.3

Good point Joffi, now where did I put that copy of DriveClub…….

i did NOT buy a ps4 for this 3-bit crap. It baffles me you keep putting out these kind of games at these prices! While almost every major title released up untill now has had enormous launch or functionality problems.
For me personally, out of all 4 console launches, this one has been the absolute worst. And the quality of PSN itself went down the drain with it

madmanwithabox12 12 November, 2014 @ 13:02
3.1

If the indies weren’t making games for PS4, then the only difference would be that there were even less games to play. “AAA” titles don’t just magically pop up in place of indie ones.

I’m sorry that you need millions of polygons to find a game enjoyable.

Youd rather play Rise with its amazing graphics and awful gameplay than Nidhogg with its bloody brilliant gameplay and stylised graphics?

I feel bad for you.

Show more replies
polarisaustria 12 November, 2014 @ 13:04

FINALLY :) i hope its worth the 8 month wait.. not to mention those tedious last 3 weeks since the us release :(

Is this on Amstrad CPC also?

zalwelgoedgaan 12 November, 2014 @ 13:12
5.1

This is more Game & Watch territory.

And what was wrong with either of those systems (if you can forgive me for calling a G&W a system)? Classic gameplay does not age. Same for music, movies, novels etc.
Refusing a game due to its graphics not matching the platform sounds about the same as saying you wouldn’t watch a blu-ray of a classic movie because it was originally released on vhs. Or by the same logic, the modern Star Wars trilogy must be better than the original Star Wars trilogy because it uses more modern filmmaking techniques.
Gaming is an interactive medium and the fun is in the interaction.

Not refusing it. However, i do not need a PS4 to play Game Watch.

Show more replies

The pricing get’s more and more fuUU up! What the hell !

zalwelgoedgaan 12 November, 2014 @ 13:09

“€14.99”

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It’s not that people don’t enjoy these type of games, more the fact that 12 quid is not good value when you can pick up other games of this standard for pennies these days on platforms most people already own.

“Nidhogg is FINALLY out today in the EU”
Yaaaay!!!

“£11.99/€14.99/AU$22.95”
…what?

Gaijin yonkoma.

YES! – Finally!, The wait since US store has been excrutiating!

I remember seeing this first a little over a year ago and thinking it looked really dull and simple, but everyone kept saying that you just needed to play it and it would win you over.

So at E3 this year a colleague and I decided to try and find it at the Sony booth and give it a try – we had like 5 minutes and figured we would get a good try out of it…. 35 minutes later we had to shove our way out of the audience around the kiosk and scramble to the next meeting.

Ever since then I have been waiting to install this at home and on the console at the office – its a BRILLIANT lunch-break game for giggles and laughs.

Thanks a lot for this guys! Great great game!

ummagummachild 12 November, 2014 @ 13:19

2 players holding left and right stick of #psvita….isnt that called going too far?

What the bloody hell? £11.99/€14.99/AU$22.95? Really?

I’m not one who readily bashes indie games, even when they look retro, but charging those prices for what looks like a Commodore 64 port is just criminal, no matter how excellent the game is.

Just bought on the webstore but won’t add to my Vita download queue… and also won’t download via the Vita either.

My download list also seems to think there’s a PS3 version… why you no mention that?

I guess “PS3” should be considered as “you can also download and install the Vita version through the PS3”

13.2

Ahh yes @Lance_87 you’re right, I didn’t think the store did this but looking at other Vita only games it does do this… Also this has since been fixed, I’m guessing the Vita version wasn’t on the store yet and I was being impatient.

PANIC OVER ALL! :)

This is another one of those games that looks simplistic but the gameplay is intense and original. Just give it a chance.

To be honest, I love Nidhogg. I have it for PC, and bought copies for my friends too. But – on sale. Don’t get me wrong. It’s not about graphics. I love graphics on Nidhogg, they fit the game perfectly. Also, I love the soundtrack too. Gameplay is perfect. Different levels were fun. Matchmaking was hell on PC, so I only played invite friend matches and we had hours of fun. To put it simply, I like Nidhogg very much. But this is where I get to the problem.

Content.

To justify 15 euros price tag, I always felt Nidhogg just didn’t have enough content. I completed single player at first try. Played multiplayer over 6 hours online and had lots of fun. My friends irl hated the game, so I played online until my online friends got bored of recycling the 4 levels. Lack of levels and online modes make Nidhogg a very … short game.

Show full comment

Content.

Great core game with deep gameplay and lots of fun. Hours of fun, but you need friends to make most of it. But worth 15 euros? Sorry, but to be honest, I don’t think so. Not unless you have friends that want to play it with you sitting on couch, having epic tournaments and epic moments.

Oh, did I mention that I like Nidhogg very much despite everything I said? That I really enjoyed those 6-7 hours I spend with the game, how I made my online friends play it over and over again? That I’m really happy it finally arrived to PS family? Seriously, if you have friends that most likely love the game too, it’s easily worth the price. :D

Got to try this out over at Eurogamer Expo the other month and did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did – the game went from no-one playing, to Sony staff encouraging me and a random other to try it whilst waiting for another game to be free and ending with a mini-tournament being created from the joy we (a group of complete strangers) had playing against one another. :D

Sadly, due to Xmas shopping and the slightly higher than expected price I will have to hold off for now but do indeed plan to buy this and Surgeon Simulator come 2015 :) Excellent game to play on the fly.

i don’t normally bother commenting on these articles as they are usually full of self entitled idiots, but please someone from sony explain to us australians and other EU region locales how it costs $7 per copy of the game ($14.99USD to $22.95AUD, which is actually only worth $20USD but thats still ludicrous) to offer it on the EU store over the US store, does it take 30 people on ceo wages to copy and paste the file and descriptions, are servers made of gold here, please publicly announce a worthy reason and i’m sure we will all shut up…

this is easy to answer:
us and australia is far away –> sony need more money for sending internet-packages that long way.
the way from us to europe is very far to, normally they have to nearly double the prices.

Crazy prices here.

And the Cell of the PS3 is apparently not powerful enough to run this game…

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history