PlayStation 4 20th Anniversary Edition revealed

Sporting the original PlayStation grey finish, and available in very limited quantities

Hello PlayStation Blog readers! Today is a very special moment in our history. It’s been 20 years since the launch of the original PlayStation, which released in Japan on 3rd December, 1994. It seems like only yesterday! I’m so glad that we can celebrate this moment together.

20 years is a long time! In 1994, many outsiders thought that Sony was slightly crazy to launch the original PlayStation into an incredibly competitive gaming market. Who could blame them? Sony was (and is!) famous for engineering great electronics, audio equipment and many other consumer devices. But game consoles?!

Sony Computer Entertainment, founded by my mentor Ken Kutaragi, was a project borne out of sincere passion and deep admiration for the craft of game development. The mid ’90s were an exciting time for game developers, driven by the explosion of powerful but affordable 3D graphics rendering hardware and the birth of many young and adventurous development studios. The original PlayStation was meant to embody that sense of adventure and discovery, that sense that anything was possible.

We sincerely thank you for joining us on our exciting 20-year journey. You have made every bump and scrape we took along the way worthwhile. And there’s so much more to come! πŸ˜€

But I don’t want to go on for too long, because we have a big piece of news to reveal: a very special 20th Anniversary Edition PS4!

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Sporting the same ‘Original Grey’ finish as the original PlayStation and packaged in a commemorative box, PlayStation 4 20th Anniversary Edition will be priced at €499 and limited to 12,300 units worldwide, reflecting the launch date of the original PlayStation.

Thanks for a great 20 years, and here’s to 20 more.

PS4_20_12.close up

Did you enjoy this?

488 Comments 20 Author replies
Show oldest first

Want? Yes
Afford? No (Well, not until well after Christmas at least)
Sad? Yes :'(

European_Gamer 3 December, 2014 @ 10:22 am

They are selling (estimated) 800,000 PS4 consoles every week during Christmas and there is only 12,300 PlayStation 4 20th Anniversary Edition consoles. So you may want to borrow some money from your parents.

Opt1mus76 3 December, 2014 @ 10:43 am

European_Gamer I’d rather miss out and give my kids the presents they want for Christmas. I have a PS4 already and as much as I’d love another so I can play more often (I have second PS3 setup in bedroom so I could play while girlfriend watches her dodgy american dramas), I won’t borrow money for something I don’t absolutely need

We should have an age poll on here at some point, as there seems to be a widespread assumption that most people are kids.

G33ks1nL0ve 3 December, 2014 @ 11:22 am

@Telbee easy to work out the number of Children who use this blog is = the number of people who whine about not getting Β£50 games each month for a Β£40 a year service.

Twinkling82 3 December, 2014 @ 11:22 am

Telbee, I actually think that kids don’t go here. So let’s assume the most of us is adults, and have been playing since the first Playstation. Many of us might also even be within the gaming industry as well.

Opt1mus76 3 December, 2014 @ 11:31 am

I’m 38 (hence 76 in my ID) but I know there’s plenty of much older gamers

RedMustang72 3 December, 2014 @ 1:32 pm

I guess the 72 gives me away then! The anniversary ed. is a nice touch, looks great, but I hope they produce more of these, getting one looks like it’ll be difficult, in fact, I reckon Opt1mus and myself deserve one free for years of loyalty!! πŸ˜‰

Opt1mus76 3 December, 2014 @ 1:44 pm

Nice idea RedMustang but somehow don’t think it’ll happen. No, these will probably get snapped up by collectors and unscrupulous people who’ll put them on eBay for ridiculous sums

RedMustang72 3 December, 2014 @ 2:02 pm

Yeah, if only eh?! I don’t mind the collectors Opt1mus but I share your concern over the ‘touts’, no doubt we will see these on eBay, gumtree, amazon etc…for Β£2k+ (probably) at some point…pleading innocence under the guise of ‘supply and demand’…shame really. I loathe the practice too, but someone with more money than sense always pays up…so what can you do?

That looks incredible, would love to have one

Me too!!! But Japan and US will have most of them and rest of the world only 2000-3000 units I guess

BigREDStandingBy 5 December, 2014 @ 11:25 am

the U.S won’t get most considering The sell more PS4’s in EUROPE

FASTorSLOW 3 December, 2014 @ 9:34 am   3

I love it! Too bad I just bought a ps4, or I would be all over this…

Exactly the same for me. Though there’s only 12300 units, it looks like.. those will be gone in mere minutes, I’d say.

Aces73High 4 December, 2014 @ 11:59 pm

Damn, me too FoS! Having finally got my hands on a ‘Four’ a mere couple of days ago, I now see this. As someone who loves a bit of nostalgia (and bought an original Playstation at launch), I think I want to cry now.

Never mind. Hey, I still get to play Uncharted 4 and Arkham Knight next year, and that’s what counts! πŸ™‚

It actually looks pretty nice in that color.

Shuhei Yoshida 4 December, 2014 @ 1:10 am

Thank you! The designer and the team worked hard to create this color πŸ™‚

legoman-D 7 December, 2014 @ 4:40 pm

Yoshida-san came back to respond to the comments. What a super hero πŸ™‚

While I’m here – had a great idea for all those who miss out of the grey ps4… buy the white one and wear shades around the house. You’ll never know the difference.

You want my advice? I think you should give one of these to me…

Brilliant idea!
I really wount mind one… but chances are, these wont even come to SA.

Knew you guys were gonna do this, but holy crap still can’t believe you actually did. So jelly, but my white PS4 is still special πŸ˜‰ Please release some grey DS4’s separately!! Plllleeeease

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeed ! Want One !!!

dividsmythe 3 December, 2014 @ 9:44 am   9

I already have a Ps4 but I need one of these.

Where to buy?

Would love to get the chance of even owning one, let alone actually owning one.

I imagine about 5 will make it to the EU πŸ™

Why do all the photos of the PS4 show it with the nice blue LED when the console actually spends 99% of its time with the bland white LED on?

Looking good in grey but who is going to buy a 2nd machine just to have a different colour?

Collectors or those who don’t own it yet.

It is just over 12k copies it will sell in a flash. I mean take a look at kickstarter, you will find there people who are willing to throw even 5k USD just to get some very limited items. It will be the same with this edition.

Probably you will even have hard time in fiding it in any of stores you know.
    “0th Anniversary Edition will not be available via traditional retail channels in the SCEE region. Look out for more information soon on how you can get your hands on one of these highly collectable consoles.”

Oh most probably you will be able to win few of them through some of contests. But yeah… it is very limited edition.

Arabian_Ninja 3 December, 2014 @ 9:47 am   13

i will buy this for my collection

I’ve no hope of getting a console but pleeeeeease release the controller. Stick a twenty euro premium on it. I don’t care. Just need.

RustyTachikoma 3 December, 2014 @ 9:50 am   15

Well, at least we’ll have a chance to get it without importing. I hope…

StevenJamesHyde 3 December, 2014 @ 9:51 am   16

Love the controller, for some reason the coloured PS logo makes it look much better

Rautz_213 3 December, 2014 @ 9:51 am   17

I’m so glad I watched the Awards tonight. I was going to spend some money tomorrow on a sound setup… I’ll hold off and see how accessible a console will be for someone like me in little old New Zealand before touching my savings.

The3DGalaxian 3 December, 2014 @ 9:57 am   18

That looks great in grey with the coloured PS logo. Really cool.

Reidzer-1314 3 December, 2014 @ 9:57 am   19

Sexy Sexy Sexy πŸ™‚

You know what? It looks much better than standard edition o.O

It kinda makes you feel that this was standard one πŸ™‚ Anyway… how about special Vita edition? I know that SCEE is colourblind and want to keep Vita in black… but here is the case… many of us want it.

Atm… it is same thing as it was with Ford’s cars.
“Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black”

TrueMurton 3 December, 2014 @ 11:29 am

Henry Ford never actually said that and the very first Ford cars were actually available in blue only, there wasn’t even color options until the third revision and black wasn’t one of them.

It’s a one of those daft myths that people can get away with because so very few people know enough to discredit it.

Actually this quote comes from his autobiography πŸ™‚

link to book

So no, it is not a myth πŸ™‚

esspytoodSP2 3 December, 2014 @ 9:59 am   21

This will be one heck of a Christmas present…

Looks stunning. Wonder how they release these?

AdamBogocz 3 December, 2014 @ 10:00 am   23

I hope it will be avaliable to Czech custommers…

Captain9Fingers 3 December, 2014 @ 10:03 am   24

Looks a lot better than the black or the white ones.

This looks so beautiful. Definitely want one!

sreeram97 3 December, 2014 @ 10:12 am   26

hope i get one luv itttttttttttt

twinspectre 3 December, 2014 @ 10:14 am   27

after seeing this , i want gaming to come back

no handholding , no waypoints , no questmarks , no objective marks , no regenhealth , no autosave , savepoints/saverooms , puzzlesolving , search a key to open the door , find medipack to heal ,bring back what made gaming great

I live in the Netherlands. Is it possible to get the special PS4 over here? Or do i have to order it somewhere else?

Probably order it from somewhere else in Europe. Like England or Germany. I already search for possible dealers in Europe because I am sure no one in Greece will have it!!

Pretinias 3 December, 2014 @ 9:58 pm

PlayStation Finland just announced that Finns will have a chance of getting this beauty. The Anniversary Edition will retailed by only one store ( which translates directly to :D) and 31 of these consoles are going to be sold. You can’t buy these like other products as first you have to pre-order it (pre-ordering lasts 24h during 18.12. 12:00 to 19.12. 12:00) and then 31 people will be randomly selected among the guys who pre-ordered it.

I could imagine something similar to be implemented in your home country especially as Netherlands and Greece are bigger market areas than Finland.

I really want one tho πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™ Can’t SONY release it the normal way(i don’t mind if mine isn’t numbered to!) πŸ˜€

Wow, stunnig console! I absolutely want one. Probably not for sale but only for price winners for an unannounced competition. But I want one! Even if I have to sell a kidney.

Thompie18 3 December, 2014 @ 10:34 am   31

It’s simply amazing.
It looks even better then the black one!

look at that picture of the dualshock 4 next to the dualshock 1 its huge they really need to let us use our older controllers dualshock 3 would be preferable or shrink the dualshock 4

G33ks1nL0ve 3 December, 2014 @ 11:16 am

The size of the dualshock 4 is one of the reasons its the best Sony pad so far!

Oh my that looks brilliant.

X_Blood_Curse_X 3 December, 2014 @ 10:39 am   34

€500? US gets it for $500. Were paying 100+ dollars more. Yay

We always pay more and most of the time we have everything after all!!!lol. If it is going to find any descent dealer to deliver it in greece I will take it even for 500€!
    I am just thinking. What if it breaks!! Warranty will replace it with a black one!!hahahahahahahahahahaha!!

I need this, I hope I don’t have to buy one from a scalper on ebay.

Flipside666 3 December, 2014 @ 10:43 am   36

I would love if we could change the PS4 boot sound to the sound at the end of this advert. Kinda new version of the ps1 boot sound.

legoman-D 3 December, 2014 @ 10:47 am   37

Amazing. Truly amazing. I hope it’s not only going to be for competition prizes and other stuff, I never win those and my browser always complains! … I have cash money, I have credit cards, I will throw them at you, Sony, just please please please let me own the ultimate playstation. Failing that, I have several vital organs I am willing to part with…

inorganic 3 December, 2014 @ 10:49 am   38

I want one!!! It might mean a divorce but it’s worth it tell me how I get one please

Andre-Veelt 3 December, 2014 @ 10:50 am   39

Wow it looks awsome :). Will Sweden have any chance on this one? I hope so!

Strangeheaven 3 December, 2014 @ 10:55 am   40

Where can I pre order. I’m tempted to buy two, but would be happy with one if I’m lucky.

Looks absolutely stunning sony. This will sell out in seconds.

UK_VILLAIN 3 December, 2014 @ 11:07 am   41

Really need to know when and where you can preorder this?

They’re announcing that information on saturday at the keynote address in america. Says so on the US playstation blog.

nextbigthing91 3 December, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

“How to pre-order in the US & Canada: PS4 20th Anniversary Edition will be available in very limited supply for pre-order starting Saturday, December 6th. Please watch the PlayStation Experience keynote starting Saturday morning at 10:00am Pacific Time to learn more”
    I guess we will learn more about how to pre order etc over the weekend, so be sure to be around so you can get your pre order in quick. πŸ™‚

Gray-Fox47 3 December, 2014 @ 2:31 pm

What time would that be for GMT?
    around 18:00 I’m guessing.

Pretinias 3 December, 2014 @ 9:59 pm

Uhm… Given this very limited production run, the 20th Anniversary Edition will not be available via traditional retail channels in the SCEE region. Look out for more information soon on how you can get your hands on one of these highly collectable consoles.
    So no love for europe i guess

I’m working on saturday and that’s when they’re announcing how to pre-order… πŸ™

I have been a Sony gamer ever since the 1st PlayStation was released in the UK. The price of this is almost the same as the PS1 all them years ago. I would really like to have this console.

COMMANDOS1987 3 December, 2014 @ 11:16 am   44

Wow, I really wish you could do a limited run of just the controllers also.

mr-korosu 3 December, 2014 @ 11:20 am   45

I was reading this on my lunch break and almost choked on my weinerschnitzel.

Reading on Eurogamer this won’t be available for purchase in Europe. Just Japan and US. This is just to troll us basically. I’m guessing the non regular channels in Europe will be one or two competition prizes.

I think they should make the pad available for regular purchase at least.

mr-korosu 3 December, 2014 @ 11:36 am

why give us the price then? I think a few will be available for sale in the EU too.

Simply beautiful! It is an awesome design for the people who don’t own a PS4

MariUzumaki 3 December, 2014 @ 11:45 am   48

Will you all still be selling this AFTER decemeber because thats tax time and ill actually have A L O T of money then.

Jopie_Haargel 3 December, 2014 @ 11:49 am   49

Please release the controller separately as non-limited! Would love to have just that.

I want this.

i don’t, a decal does the same thing, didn’t the ps1 play audio cds? at least make this “limited edition” do that, it would be worth buying for that price at least.

Yeah it also had memory cards and fixed wired controllers. Want that too? Useless comments.

@Huyi: what is an audio cd?

Load all