Posted

Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive

And Ultra Street Fighter IV is PS4-bound too!

Hey guys, big news: Street Fighter V is coming and will be console exclusive to the PlayStation 4. What’s even bigger news is that our partnership with Sony will result in SFV having cross-platform play, which will in turn unite our Street Fighter fans into one grand player base. That’s right; PS4 owners will now be able to lay the smack down against PC owners and vice-versa, a first for the Street Fighter series!

As I’m sure a lot of you out there are eager to see how the game looks, we’ve provided some screens below. Please take note that SFV is still early in development.

Here’s the logo and the packaging. We felt the bold design really speaks to the bold gameplay of SFV!

PS4_into template_ex

Ryu preparing for the next battle.

KIWI-01

Chun-Li getting ready to show off her Kung-Fu. Look at the reflection in her bangles.

KIWI-02

So beautiful…it’s like moving art.

KIWI-03

DENJIIIN…

KIWI-04

…HADOUUUKEEEN!

KIWI-05

But the hype doesn’t stop there as Sony is also bringing USFIV to the PlayStation 4 brought to you by their Third Party Production Group! As you guys can see, the partnership has only just begun and it’s already a huge win for the community.

Currently the release dates for USFIV and SFV have not been announced yet, so I’ll definitely be back with that information and more in the future. GET HYPE EVERYONE!

49 Comments
0 Author replies

And why would you think we would care about exclusivity on a game that should be multiplatform anyway?

We are not hypocrites. We are not going to celebrate this after losing third party games like dead rising, monster hunter, and others from other publishers because of stupid exclusivity contracts.

Consoles should compete on first party content… not compete by taking a game away from gamers on other systems. That is not #4thegamers.

Cross. Platform. Multiplayer.

That is not possible with the green guys.

Well said.

Maybe it should not be directed at Yoshinori Ono though, probably not the person responsible for decisions like that.

Anyway yeah, I hope there were no moneyhats involved in this, because I always think that’s a disgraceful business practice. That’s taking away something from one fanbase, without really adding something for the fanbase for which the game is exclusive.

I mean like, is Street Fighter V going to be a better game because it is not on XB1 and is only on PS4 and PC? No. If I love a game, I can only wish that many more people would have the same great experience. That includes people who have an XB1 and would like to play the game of course

Show full comment

Well said.

And I’m a big fan of Sony Computer Entertainment games. Especially of their Ratchet & Clank series among others. But of course I don’t value those games because they’re EXCLUSIVES. I value them because they’re great games. And I’m totally fine with SCE’s business model of only making their own games available on their own platforms. That makes sense right, they’re the one funding, producing those games and making them happen. They’re contributing something to the industry (job creation etc). Moneyhatting a game that should be multiplatform is anything but that.

Now of course maybe there was no moneyhat involved in this, maybe Capcom are just very good friends with SCE or something? I don’t know.

But, I want to say to SCE (and to Microsoft) that really they should stop trying to fragmentize 3rd party multiplatform games. Stop with the timed exclusivity DLC, exclusive bonus content and just let everyone enjoy that content. First-party games are a business models that make sense, that are totally respectable and reasonable. Moneyhatting 3rd party game content is not.

1.3

What is wrong with Dead Rising being a MS console exclusive? They published the damn game. The Same applies to Street Fighter of this is the case.

Show more replies

Chun Li. I would.

PS4 vs PC players. That will be interesting.

Eh… Kind of disappointed that it’s not coming to Xbone. Business is business but locking out content from games and buying exclusives seems stupid. I want to play Arkham Knight on my PC in sweet 60fps but if I want the full game, I can’t because there’s content locked away from that version because Sony threw money at Rocksteady. Same thing with a bunch of games. And Destiny DLC is the worst offender. Xbox one users have to pay the same price for it even though it’s missing a raid which is like 20-30% of that package as far as I know. It’s ridiculous.

First party content is where you guys should throw money at. Naughty Dog, Media Molecyle and Guerrilla games are the studios I bought the PS4 for. Not the ones I should get my games to PC from anyway

Missing Raid? Do you even Destiny?

Exactly.

And not to mention. And it’s their business, but imo SCE has such a great portfolio first-party games and first-party studios (not to mention also lots of contracted “2nd party” developers as well like Insomniac Games, From Software, Suppermassive, Quantic Dream etc) that they don’t even need exclusive content in 3rd party games.

I think the answer to your question is simple: Microsoft doesn’t support cross-platform multiplayer. Too bad for them as they are now missing out on a great game.

zalwelgoedgaan 06 December, 2014 @ 21:07
4.1

Yup. If they weren’t so uppity, they could have joined in on the fun. Imagine that; cross play between PC/Sony/MS; it would set forum debates on fire. That, and the possibility of Capcom doing some silly DLC stuff like they did with SF×T. Hopefully they’ve learned from that.

Alas, Microsoft has some backwards policies that makes even old-fashioned Nintendo giggle. This and the indie release parity clause is not doing them many favors.

4.2

Dááág XBone.

source? really? microsoft wouldnt allow cross-platform with their own microsoft windows? theyve done cross-platform before, and even if it really was the case that microsoft wouldnt allow cros-platform between their own platforms, the game couldve been on xbox one without that feature.. thats no reason for it to be exclusive…btw i only have a ps4, but im against the practice of making multiplatform franchises exclusive

Glad to see this on PS4!

Now if only Sony will make us use our PS3 fightsticks on PS4, by the time the game comes out!

^^THIS^^
I’ve got a $400 street fighter 4 TE stick just begging for compatability!

counterUAVbaby 06 December, 2014 @ 21:25

You should be very proud of locking the game that it was supposed to be for every platform *clap* clap*

zalwelgoedgaan 06 December, 2014 @ 21:33
6.1

Baby, there are cases of major companies being silly ducks when it comes to moneyhatting, but they worded it pretty carefully here that they wanted crossplatform play between systems and Microsoft is notorious for not allowing that outside of their ecosystem. On the other hand, Sony has a long history of allowing that.

Street Fighter did well on the Xbox and if MS allowed crossplatform play, then Capcom wouldn’t have skipped them.

That is, if we take what they say at face value.

@ Yoshinori Ono: Thanks for the announcement both games deserve to be huge on Playstation. Going to give serious consideration when these games come out it has been a while but this is looking to good to pass on.

@ All the nay sayers: What’s with all the negative anticorp cynacisim? All we know for sure is that Street Fighter V and Ultra Street Fighter IV is going to be exclusive to Playstation. We have been told that cross platform play is a big reason for that… and why without any evidence to the contrary, most of you seam to think that Sony just showed up with a dump truck of money and brought a soul or two of the people that made the decision. It’s short sighted and sadly pathetic. Take a deep breath and use it to think. There maybe reasons other then money for decisions like this to have been made. In this case the brand itself has more then enough recognition to make bank at launch and then some and Ono has enough clout to make his own decisions.

Yeah, we shouldn’t jump to conclusions, but it’s certainly suspicious to say the least and a moneyhat is always an easy assumption. It could be an incorrect assumption though.

And Capcom did the same thing with the Monster Hunter franchise, suddenly switching to another platform. Without any evidence of a moneyhat by Ninty. Maybe it’s another case of simply switching platforms, maybe they found the PS4 more appealing to develop for and maybe they have a good relationship with SCE.

I think this exclusive is due to the partnership between Capcom and Sony.
I think Capcom are more than happy to make this with Sony’s support and pipeline.
Japan is back.

FREE EA games up now:

PS4 – Plants Vs Zombies
PS3 – Mirror’s Edge
PSV – Need For Speed MW

Only available for 24 hours or so.

Ok so while everyone’s angry for some reason, I’ll ask a real question… Will the PS4 and PS3 players of USFIV be able to compete against each other ? Same servers ?

Because I kept my PS3 around only for USFIV so if the PS4 version would allow me to play with my usual group of friends on PS3, I’m sold !

Also… It would be nice to be able to play with our PS3 arcade sticks. That stuff is expensive !

Look at what Nintendo did with Smash ! Maybe just give us some sort of accessory to do so ? Please ? :D

For people complaning about the controversey regarding exclusivity. Pretty sure Sony said they were co-deveoloping SF5 with Capcom. The same way they are doing with Bloodborne.

So its likely the game just wouldn’t exist, maybe Capcom didn’t have the resources necessary to get it off the ground.

Dude. If it wasn’t for PS funding Street Fighter 5 wouldn’t exist?

Come on man haha.

Capcom have had a few misses in the last few years and already stated they were being more careful with there releses going forward so it could be the case that without a partner they would not have moved forward with this (at least at this time)

Id have been gutted if this was an xb1 exclusive as it would have ment i would have had to buy another console, but its not its on the market leading console.

Blog users are never happy it sux.

Opc for the win the blog sucks now at least we are discussing whats important over there, the games

well, is this a time deal as i need to know?

No its not sony are co developing and its a perma exclusive.

well play sony , well play
and for those how Suddenly don’t like the 3ed party exclusives ,, why dont you say that in 2006 when M$ started it ??

anyway sony we are waiting for Tekken 7 to be also PS4 exclusive ^^.. can’t wait to see it with the mark on its cover “ONLY ON PLAYSTATION”

Aside from the usual anti-Sony posters who are here every day are the rest shills? Complaining about a third party exclusive on a console you supposedly own? MS shill accounts? You don’t need PS console to make a PSN account.

Even when this post went up we had info Capcom approached Sony and Ono said no budget for USFIV on PS4, or for SFV at all. Sony are making this game happen, like MS did with Titanfall. Not like Tomb Raider where it was multiplat until MS moneyhatted.

Shill accounts don’t tend to pay for +. All but the most blinkered fanboy cannot possibly think platform exclusivity is a good thing for previously multi-platform releases. It’s not something to be celebrated. Whilst this has gone our way, others have not. MH as mentioned, the next Tomb Raider (for a while at least).

I say this as someone with a Vita and PS4, but I could have easily have chosen a Xbone if I believed it was better. The only area I wish I had an Xbone was racing. By the time PD get their finger out of their behind and release GT on PS4, Forza 7 will be out. Why they were allowed to plough their limited resources into developing GT6 to realease on PS3 a week after the PS4 launched is beyond me. They should have been full-steam ahead for PS4.

14.2

Actually MS stepped in after repawn secured a contract with EA for Titanfall. That game was originally planned to be multiplatform.

Shapeshifter_dan 08 December, 2014 @ 01:18
14.3

It’s not just here, all over the net I see the same rethoric being consistently brought up almost word by word: try to muddy the waters and paint this like the ROTR situation, i.e, a classic case of SonyToo^TM, try to make the PS users feel guilty because they’re supporting Sony and not microfraud. lol

Like I said, them green shills are in overdrive and have to sweat their money.

Hey everyone, look at my icon. There’s a reason why Capcom is becoming irrelevant. They’ve made Megaman irrelevant. SMH

How can ppl even be happy with Street fighter as and exclusive it’s the same game over and over again how many times has capcom not released other edition off the same game just for profit how in hells name is this any different than the ps3 version.

That looks like a good game

VengeanceUnLtd 07 December, 2014 @ 18:33

Still a little suspicious about this exclusivity, even after hearing the announcement. Whilst I’m sure it covers SFV, what about the obvious future additions i.e. Super Duper Hyper StreetFighter V!!
That aside, really looking forward to this.

supersmith2500 07 December, 2014 @ 21:20

Well Xbox One got Deadrising 3 as a exclusive and that’s from Capcom.

XBone Users, just wait.
Mega Streetfighter V will be Multiplatform, guaranteed

This is awesome!
Xbox sympathisers crying lol. Xbox fans would not feel the same way if the tables were reversed.

Again the jump from last Gen to current Gen is hardly noticable. I still feel this generation should have held back for a while. Basically the PS3 was just too good.

I wish Capcom had do Dragon Dogma 2 instead of this…what a shame.

UtsukushiHonoka 08 December, 2014 @ 14:49

so its never coming to the xbox one lol

Any news on new ps4 fightpads / sticks?

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history