Trine Enchanted Edition charms its way onto PS4 this week

Frozenbyte’s original puzzle platformer gets the remake treatment

Hello everyone! I’m thrilled to announce that Trine Enchanted Edition for PS4 is launching this Wednesday, 17th December in Europe as a digital release on PlayStation Store. Check out the new launch trailer above.

Trine Enchanted Edition is a remake of the original Trine with dazzling new visual effects and a vast number of gameplay improvements and fixes. The game features 15 breathtaking levels ranging from mysterious underground catacombs, crystal caverns, abandoned castles to sun-drenched ancient ruins, full of dangerous enemies, hazards, and head-scratching physics-based puzzles. There are also 47 trophies for you to gather, some quite a bit more challenging than the others, including a platinum trophy.

TrineEnchanted_Edition_Mines_PontiusHammer_1080p

Traditionally the Trine games have been popular among co-op fans, so the Enchanted Edition supports both local and online co-op fun for up to three players (and a mixed online/local co-op as well).

On the technical side, Trine Enchanted Edition runs at a smooth 60fps and a full HD (1080p) resolution. Also, great news for 3D fans: stereoscopic 3D is also supported, and that works at 60fps/720p per eye.

If you’d like to stay tuned for all of our game updates and news, you can also follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page. We’d love to hear your feedback on Trine Enchanted Edition in the comments :-)

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004
34 Comments
10 Author replies

I want this in my Vita, too!

yep ! a trine collection would be more than welcome ;)

Already have the platinum trophy on the PS3 version and depending on the price of this, will be the future owner of the PS4 platinum as well :D

DieFliedermouse 15 December, 2014 @ 14:16

Shame this isn’t a cross buy for those who already own the PS3 version of them game. I can’t really justify double dipping.

3.1

It’s a remake, not a port of the original.

3.2

Sorry! Cross-Buy isn’t possible at this time sadly. It’s because of the different publishers (we’re self-publishing our games on PS4 and future platforms, whereas on PS3 we had to use separate publishers). This causes various troubles (both business and technical) and thus we can’t offer Cross-Buy right now. It’s something we hope to be able to support in the future (when all games are self-published by us).

Also we felt that the Enchanted Edition is a big improvement over the original Trine, with graphical enhancements, online multiplayer, lots of gameplay fixes, stereo 3D and so on, and it took over a year to make, so we’d hoped this would justify the lack of cross-buy at least for some people.

DieFliedermouse 15 December, 2014 @ 15:50
3.3

That’s fair enough. Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

Show more replies

Excellent news. Well done to the team in bringing Trine to a PlayStation console just in time for Christmas for a 3rd time :)
Would there be any chance in a small upgrade fee for people who already own the original game on PS3, pretty please? ^_^

4.1

A loyalty discount would be a great way to go but I don’t think that’s possible technically yet. We’re looking into it but can’t promise anything yet.

4.2

Thanks for looking in it though :D

zalwelgoedgaan 15 December, 2014 @ 14:16

I bought this on Steam but I haven’t played it yet. Thanks for the reminder. >_>

Trine 2 in 3D is the best 3D I have ever experienced. If you have a 3D capable TV/monitor that game is a must buy. I have shown some of my friends the game running in 3D, they get speechless. Will check Trine EE out for sure.

6.1

6.2

Haha yeah, I had a friend over to play 2 player in this game on PS4 (another couch co-op game on PS4 at launch because couch co-op is dead eh gaming journalists?) and he complained right away when I mentioned 3D. 2 minutes of playing in 3D and I ruined the game for him forever. He couldn’t get over the difference the 3D and depth to the backgrounds made (although it is still gorgeous in 2D too) :D

Trine 2 in 3d is indeed absolutely stunning.
Note that trine 2 was rendering in 1080p 60fps per eye but e playstAtion 4 can only output 720p per eye. So I believe…..
Great game though it would feel odd going to play the first one after finishing the second.

7.1

Thank you :) You’re right about the PS4 outputting 720p per eye. We are still hoping for a system update where 1080p per eye would be possible.

PS4 supports 1080p@24Hz per eye (e.g. 3D Blu-ray). 1080p@30Hz is technically possible with HDMI 1.4 but very few TV’s support it. 1080p@60Hz is only possible with HDMI 2.0, and even fewer TV’s support that (some have partial HDMI 2.0 support, few 3D 1080p@60). So as it is right now it’s not worth adding if it requires anything more than different parameters in the display mode API call.

I know it’s a long shot, but any chance of adding in 3D anaglyph too for the old red and blue for those of us unfortunate to not have a 3D TV yet?

I’ll love you forever.

DarkHeroofGames 15 December, 2014 @ 15:34

My girlfriend and I are very excited for this! Played through Trine 2 and it was a fantastic experience! Except I was the only one getting trophies…

Still remember your great communication with fans on the Steam forums back when Trine was a smaller name. You still rock.

Any chance for PS Vita port?

11.1

Sorry! We don’t have any Plans for a PS Vita version at this point.

Will i (EU player) be able to play co-op with my mate (US player) ??

And when will US-EU co-op be added to trine 2 btw? been asking loads on forums etc but never a definite answer.

12.1

EU players should be able to play with US players in Trine Enchanted Edition, as long as the latency is within something reasonable of course. We haven’t yet tested this with two final released games so I can’t say for absolute certainty until the 23rd Dec, but in all of our test cases the cross-region play has worked. So hopefully we got it right this time!

We wanted to update this also to Trine 2: Complete Story, but we’ve been waiting for the system update regarding 3D to do a bigger patch – so still waiting unfortunately.

60fps per eye in 3D ? wow! Trine 2 was 30fps per eye, no ? Anyway finally a good game playable in 3D again. I really expected 3D to be a standard feature for ps4 games now that they are powerful enough, to bad it didn’t happen.

13.1

Yep, 720p/60fps per eye in 3D, same as in Trine 2: Complete Story. Glad to see some enthusiasm for the 3D features, we’ve liked it very much ourselves :)

Frozenbyte, I’ll gladly admit to being one of your biggest fans – got the Plat for both 1&2 on the PS3 and also Trine 2 on the PS4.

Guaranteed customer here. ;)

14.1

Thanks for the support, I’m glad you’ve enjoyed the games :)

Man oh man :D This is beautiful indeed.
Any chance you can gently dropkick Sony into allowing 4k this time? ^^

15.1

Thanks for the kind words. And 4K would be cool indeed ;) But I guess would require quite a lot from both the console and developers.

Ahh perhaps that Digital Foundry last year wasn’t fully informed?
Anyway, I liked the games and will happily buy both again :)

And a new game? All this remastered editions complete editions…. came to be borring. seriously I have not bought a ps4 for playing my ps3 games wwith just a better framerate. I want new games !

And not famicom or atari 2600 emulated style. Real games for ps4 hardware

I really hope the game supports trophy support for local co-op players this time around on ps4 as long as they’re logged into psn on their controllers. Can you confirm? Or is it a case where only 1 player gets the trophies and others miss out?

18.1

Unfortunately we have not been able to support this, so in local co-op only the host will get trophies. Sorry about that :/

I got real frustrated with some of the bugs in Trine 2 on the ps4 but overall i had a fantastic time with it, i think i’ll be giving this a go.

xXlive4eatingXx 16 December, 2014 @ 13:22

Is there a chance you guys could create a Trine or Trine 2 PS4 design? I love your artworks and soundtracks, so that it would be absolutely awesome to have both combined on the dashboard.

CoolRichy007UK 16 December, 2014 @ 21:59

The force im the official biggest fan of both games and finished them way before you

This is my favorite kind of games, adventure co-op with friends and family is such a good time investment :D

Why is not available on PlayStation Store? I’m from Italy

@CoolRichy007UK As if. I finished the games before they were even made.

Just completed the game! 5/5

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.