Posted

PlayStation Network update

More information on the service interuptions

UPDATE: PlayStation Network is back online. As you probably know, PlayStation Network and some other gaming services were attacked over the holidays with artificially high levels of traffic designed to disrupt connectivity and online gameplay. This may have prevented your access to the network and its services over the last few days.

Thanks again for your support and patience. We’ll provide any further updates here.

ORIGINAL POST FROM SCEA: The video game industry has been experiencing high levels of traffic designed to disrupt connectivity and online gameplay. Multiple networks, including PSN, have been affected over the last 48 hours. PSN engineers are working hard to restore full network access and online gameplay as quickly as possible.

From time to time there may be disruptions in service due to surges in traffic, but our engineers will be working to restore service as quickly as possible.

If you received a PlayStation console over the holidays and have been unable to log onto the network, know that this problem is temporary and is not caused by your game console. We’ll continue to keep you posted on Twitter at @AskPlayStation and we’ll update this post once the problems subside.

Thanks again for your patience.

766 Comments
0 Author replies

Very misleading, it’s only up for some people, some of us have to change the MTU to 1472/1473 to sign in.

Shocking service

PSN offline, PS+ IGC going downhill (with a few exceptions), lame christmas deals but the worst part is the awful communication from Sony. Patience is wearing very very thin.

1.2

Jordan how do you change the mtu?

How do i change the mtu?

Show more replies

I still cant sign in on ps4 what u on about?

2.1

Exactly as predicted.
By the time the blog team FINALLY decided to issue a statement it’s IRRELEVANT!
Instead of offering this during the incident you give us your usual “there was a problem so we hid until it went away…”. We pay to play online now, you realise that, right?!
It’s pathetic that we have to turn to other information sources when you are paid to provide said information.

Same stillcarnt sign in,getting annoyed now

2.3

Follow the steps in this video and all will be well !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u27RVr5_K6k&feature=youtu.be

X_Blood_Curse_X 28 December, 2014 @ 16:06

It took far too long for you to acknowledge this, it’s not on, we’re paying for this service now

I also don’t know for what I’m paying for PS+ on PS4 for now. where is my multiplayer? it is the main function.
offline since night from 24 to 25 of December until now. nothing changed. 4-5 days, not 48 hours. Sony, you are liars!

European_Gamer 29 December, 2014 @ 23:52
3.2

Here is a useful tip for players who can’t play offline games when the network is down. Some games keep searching for an Internet connection and can’t be started this can easily be solved if you disable the Internet from settings.

How is it back up and running?, the connection is still getting terminated on my PS4

same here

quantum_buster 29 December, 2014 @ 10:25
4.3

And here, still no PSN connection

Show more replies

So I’m guessing this will become a periodically thing?

Not online in Greece (PS4)…

Still can’t sign in so….

Just Changed the mtu to 1472 and it signed in first time

i just want to play online with my friends before the christmas Eve ends, so please try to make it faster because most of the users still don’t have access into PSN. and thank you

Hire someone from microsoft to fix the network

9.1

Yea..ms having same issues …

theo_andravida 04 January, 2015 @ 15:43
9.2

Haha, so true! @cpmafia2 ^

Vita and ps3 work, still cant sign in on ps4

In UK, not been able to sign in for 3 days

Now ultra [MODERATED] off, cant use any games on ps4 as they all need ´network services´

Thats right i cant play an indie game either

Is your console set to Primary? You can also go to settings and disable the requirement for games to connect to the internet, that should let you play them.

I never knew about that work around, Tee – if it even works ? – so I, like MANY others have been resigned to no PS4 gaming over the holidays.

I mean it’s not the end of the world, but when you LIKE to game in your time off… It’s a bit of a nause.

Show more replies

Still ain’t working

I can’t sign in either :( when will this be properly fixed?

ninjaaabenjaaa 28 December, 2014 @ 16:13

cant’s sign in on ps4, been out for 3 days now in Finland.

Ps4 isn’t. Terrible. Upgrade your security

European_Gamer 28 December, 2014 @ 16:17
14.1

It’s not easy to defend against this type of attack. Here is part of an interview with the lizards.
“When asked which company was easier to bring down, Microsoft was the immediate response. They commented that Sony had recently upgraded their security, via a new system we will not mention here, which took a bit of time to work around, but that Microsoft simply had the poorest security – “almost nothing”. When asked how each company was fighting back – the group alluded to the idea that they were easily keeping the networks down.”

Cant get on my ps4 in england

15.2

Hi man it doesn’t work for me i tried it many times and still doesn’t connect…

Since Christmas day i have not had psn it is now Sunday 28th December I make that over 60 hours.

Before when the service was free was understable. Now is inconceivable my ps4 was completely useless bug fail sony. Lucky i didn’t get ride of my ps3

Changing the MTU to 1475 in the manual network settings fixed my problems. I was unable to sign in on the default 1500. Try this if you can’t get online.

18.1

That worked, thanks. If only Sony could have told us this!

18.2

I can confirm that fixed the issue for me as-well. cheers

operationfear47 28 December, 2014 @ 20:41
18.3

How do I do this please??

Show more replies

I experienced the same problem last Saturday.Instead,I waited for the following day.Finally,I’ve got my PS4 up & running.

Anonymus-Bandha 28 December, 2014 @ 22:13
19.1

If it works in certain countries, then I expect PSN to be working soon in other countries

sorry but this isnt acceptable you guys had prior notice this wanna gonna happen you lied more than once about it being fixed when i assure you its not you got saquare enix posting it was fixed yesterdays when it wasnt keep the bullcrap to yourself i expect next update after its fix is to remove psn as requirement for online play i pay for the games so get it done

I van access the store and my trophy list but I can’t upload my images to twitter when I last tried an hour ago.

This is rediculous still Can not sign in

Sony should hire IT experts from Apple!This is what happens with Android/Windows OS.Unlike Apple,more secured.

23.1

orbis OS is unix based, besides, the hack wasn’t OS based at all it was a ddos. sony has plenty of shortcomings, but thats defenately not one of them…

When is psn going to be back online you haven’t told anyone anything terrible customer service

We’ve been waiting since Christmas Day, saved for months so my son can have his first console and now three days later still no console. The most expensive paperweight I have ever bought. Seriously considering taking it back and buying an xbox.

European_Gamer 28 December, 2014 @ 16:35
25.1

This is PlayStation, your console don’t require a day one update to play games.
I may be wrong but can’t you play EVERY retail game besides Final Fantasy 14?

25.3

No. Only one of the games we had bought him to go with console are able to play without psn network.

Show more replies

Still doesn’t work here fo me in glasgow! Sitting for days with nothing, and it is not back up for EVERYONE, disgraceful, xbox is back up and running before us.

European_Gamer 28 December, 2014 @ 16:27

Fred I think most people can understand that you have the right to spend your holiday with your family. But why did all communication go through the @AskPlayStation twitter account and not through @PlayStationEU or from the blog some you (or an American) should be able to get access to the blog or PlayStationEU and spend 10 minutes on writing an update.

I still can’t sign in, paying for [MODERATED] all

Ive been a psn user for years and icant even get online still , not happy

still offline in belguim

30.1

at least try and read the endless amount of posts on fixing it. it works fine again if people would just change their MTU settings

I changed MTU settings to 1473 and it worked, without that i can’t sign in, but i am getting verify my email messages. please fix !

Also your communication skills leave a lot to be desired, 1 update in 4 days is a joke give us hourly updates like microsoft did.

Just got on by changing MTU settings to 1472

Whats mtu?

32.2

MTU is how big the packets of information are that the system sends. You will have to set up your internet connection manually to change this.

zalwelgoedgaan 28 December, 2014 @ 16:32

Sony should redeem themselves. Give everyone a free copy of Knack, Super Rub-a-Dub and Little Deviants.

I still can’t log on neither connection terminated all the time getting very annoyed now as I got a £15 card to redeem and use thanks Sony for nothing

European_Gamer 28 December, 2014 @ 16:39
34.1

You should be able to log into store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com.

No ps4 for 4 days it’s a joke ps3 only down for 2 days you don’t have to pay for that sort it out please

Why is it I can log into my ps3 no problems yet my ps4 is having none of it telling me my recommended suggestions is to mess about with my router just can’t get my head around how shocking the communication is just get my playstation working sharpish

orionthehunters 28 December, 2014 @ 16:34

What I would like to know and I assume most of the PlayStation users is what are you going to do to protect the services against future attacks and when will this current farce be sorted out (FOR ALL USERS) t? It’s not too much to ask for paying customers who have experienced problems with PSN more than they should of (Yes it’s an attack but honestly all the money you receive you should be better prepared and not ill equipped).

This is for PSN not Fred…..

Fred, you lie like a cheap watch, not a £300 Ps4. PSN is not up or working for PS4 users. Whilst we have been very patient, please don’t tell porkies! Please advise when PSN will be available for All users.

My mates who live about 10 15 mints a way can get on n i cent go to where thay live to try my n it works go back home n it still not work here it a joke nothappy

tattooedchar666 28 December, 2014 @ 16:37

It’s ridiculous waiting for the pan net

towerofpower82 28 December, 2014 @ 16:37

I can get signed in but it won’t search for friends for some reason?

Logging into, and navigating the EU forums in a hit and miss affair still (mostly miss). I cannot access the US forums at all.
PSN is surely NOT up and running as yet, forum-wise.

Reading comments here and in other places, most of Sony’s issues post-DDoS seem to stem from its typical p*ss-poor communication. Sony have always been one to clam up and stonewall during any issues, but this approach need to change if it wants to win back the hearts of many users.

Confirmed. I cannot access the forum at all.

Had no psn since Xmas eve then they take fee for Playstation plus out of acc yesterday then add insult to injury by sending emails asking if I’ve kept up to date with games that we can’t even access . What a joke

Are they going to give something to us for free for all the lies saying its working when it’s not, free membership for a year on PlayStation plus would be good I say or free psn store vouchers to spend

TroubleMaker411 28 December, 2014 @ 16:37

The thing everyone seems to be forgetting is that a load of the PSN network engineers will have been pulled away from their families at Christmas to try and fix the issues we are having.
Before you rage at Sony/Playstation for not being able to defend against the type of “attack” that is very hard to combat, no matter how much money you throw at it, try saying thanks to the guys that gave up their Christmas (for not an insane amount of money, believe me) to try and get thing back for us.

Thanks guys.
I’ve been in your position, I know it ain’t easy. Cheers for the hard work.

they get paid for it so no sympathy from me unless they give me my game time and psn time i paid for back and everyone elses then they might get a pat on the back. i’m paying for em to fix it so are others we don’t care if they have to leave their families its their job just as we would have to if we done the job only problem is they aren’t doing the job its still not working is it. i wouldn’t sit there and say thanks for taking 4 hours to a plumber that cost me 200 quid to fix my leaking sink no not when it didn’t need to take that long i fully expect psn as requirement to play online games to be remove and i will use it as optional its flawed and this xmas is proof

So they should give up their Christmas to get the network back up its because of us they have jobs in the first place buying the consoles and watching films made by sony

45.3

You have a very solid point here.
@psn engineers, Thanks guys!!!

Show more replies
tattooedchar666 28 December, 2014 @ 16:39

It’s ridiculous that your Company has been hacked into and have ppl credit card details

European_Gamer 28 December, 2014 @ 16:43
46.1

It’s not a hack it’s DDoS, no one stole anything.

TroubleMaker411 28 December, 2014 @ 16:45
46.2

Nothing was hacked.
The servers were brought down because they were purposely flooded with information to prevent logins.
Your CC details are safe.

46.3

TroubleMaker411 – it’s nice you keep defending this multi-billion dollar company that can’t get it’s act together, but it is being widely reported that 13,000 account details including credit-card details have been released during the outage.

Show more replies

well mines still not working like alot off people said we paying for online service now and it seem like no ones doing any think about it well i must say someone didnt get the present they wanted at christmas so he or she had to mess it up for every1 cheers NOOB

47.2

yes bro me and you both same place and both still not online sony so bad not happy wot so every and the kids come on sort it out for the kids you nooobs

47.3

sony plz just plz stop with the bull ? psn is not working and its not back up and running cos if it was I wouldent be ear riteing this crap sorry for the bad words but im rageing rite now sorry but this needs to be said STOP TELLING LIES AND JUST SORT THE PROBLUM

Show more replies

Not been able to sign in on my PS4 since December 25th in UK. It’s kinda online in terms that some people can get on and others can’t. It’s a joke! I get very little time as it is with work etc to game so when I get time off I expect to be able to play on my very expensive console! rather than update us when in bits. Just come back to us when your confident that it is completely fixed and we can all get back to gaming!

vashuclash1228 28 December, 2014 @ 16:40

Not working UK 4:40 PM

Very disappointed with Sony over handling of incident.

No worries, %$£# happens especially these days. Personally it didn’t affect at all. Not in the mood for playing any games lately for some reason (after 20 years I don’t enjoy it as much), don’t own a Ps4 anyways and I don’t feel like buying anything. Don’t get me wrong, there are some good offers at the store and I was gonna but AC IV but the total cost comes at more than 40 euros. A bit pricey for my taste and I am not even sure I’d get all the content.

I have quite a big backlog of games to play anyway and I’m trying to force myself to currently. Cause I’ve read somewhere that whatever games you have acquired/purchased through plus are not longer available if your sub runs out and re-subscribe later on.. I’d appreciate if someone could confirm that or deny for that matters to put my mind at ease.

Nightmareofkaito 28 December, 2014 @ 18:26
50.1

In the tos it does say you can only access any plus games if your subbed and only if your subbed. if your term is up you won’t have access to your games. Once you renew you’ll still have access to your igc games you’ve already got as part of the igc, I went without plus for a month or 2 and I still had all my igc games when I resubed. If your still unsure and don’t want to chance losing them e-mail Sony support or call them and ask for an updated version of the plus terms of service agreement to be sent to your e-mail address.

50.2

I’m an old school gamer myself Dark and I tend to agree, I’m getting a bit disillusioned with gaming of late too. The next gen ‘premium’ on games isn’t worth it, and save maybe a handful of good AAA titles the rest have released as broken, unfinished, over hyped, and/or just generally poor quality products. The indies have been decent but even some of those are way over priced…just because they’re on the PS4.

Many other issues too, with the PS4, devs/publisher lies etc…I’ve found it to be a tough year for gaming.

Show full comment

Regarding Plus, any games downloaded from the IGC will become unavailable when your sub runs out, however any purchases made through the store are yours to keep, even with Plus discounts, and will remain available. If you let Plus run out and then re-sub ALL titles you downloaded from the IGC previously will become available again, the only games you would miss are those that you didn’t have access to and were unable to download whilst you weren’t subbed. Hope that’s clear! :)

50.3

Thanks guys, appreciate the answers. The last time around when my sub expired and re-subbed a few days later I had no problem at all. But I’ve read more than once recently that they changed quietly the terms. It’s not a big deal but I’d still like to have the option to try out some of the Ps4 games I got through the service for a year now for when I make the jump, which is only a matter of time and haven’t done already because I don’t think it’s worth it, plus bad experience with the Ps3 I got very early last gen.

I think I may end up renewing even though I am quite dissatisfied with how the service has become. But at the end of the day we’re still getting our money worths despite the fact plus is a big piece of the pie for sony and it should be better.

Show more replies
Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.