PS Plus in January: inFAMOUS First Light, The Swapper, Woah Dave!, more

Duck Tales Remastered, Prototype 2, Duke Nukem 3D Megatron Edition also inbound

What better way to welcome in the New Year than by hearing all about the new games coming your way through PlayStation Plus in January. We’ve got a great selection for you this month, so without further ado, let’s jump in…

New on PlayStation 4

First up this month on PS4, inFAMOUS First Light. Breakout heroine Abigail “Fetch” Walker returns in this dark, action-packed prequel to inFAMOUS Second Son. Locked up in the superhuman prison Curdun Cay, Fetch is forced to master her dazzling neon conduit powers and confront the tragic events of her past.

Next up, an atmospheric puzzle platformer set in the furthest reaches of space. The Swapper features a unique art style that uses real-world clay-models and found objects to create an explorable space station realised in unique detail and swap between different bodies to achieve otherwise impossible tasks.

New on PS Vita

First up this month on PS Vita, a throwback to classic arcade gaming with the highly addictive Woah Dave! Strive for digital glory by slaughtering aliens, stealing their loose change, and racking up the highest score possible. Easier said than done, however, as everything on the map – including your own ammo – is trying to kill you. No one ever said being a Dave was easy!

Finally this month one of gaming’s most enduring icons is back to kick butt and chew bubblegum in Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition! This iconic shooter features action-packed expansions and updated visuals and I for one can’t wait to get my hands on it!

Unfortunately we can’t release Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition in Germany so as a replacement German users can pick up Gravity Crash Ultra and blast their way to high scores, dominate the online leaderboards, tackle the fast and frantic original levels or create their own and share them with other PlayStation Plus players.

New on PlayStation 3

First up on PS3 is open world action adventure Prototype 2. Take on the role of James Heller as he goes on a quest to destroy the Blacklight virus. The story is also one of revenge, as Heller wants to confront Alex Mercer, protagonist of the original Prototype, after his family was killed in the outbreak of the virus.

prototype2

Next up on PS3 DuckTales: Remastered, a beautiful reimagining of one of the most cherished 8-bit titles of all time. Embark on an authentic DuckTales adventure, as Scrooge McDuck and his three nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie travel to exotic locations throughout the world in their quest to retrieve the five Legendary Treasures.

DuckTales-Remastered-51

In summary

Leaving PS Plus:
7th January: Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
7th January: Secret Ponchos
7th January: Hitman Trilogy HD
7th January: Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut
7th January: Final Horizon
7th January: Titan Attacks (PS4/PS3/PS Vita Cross Buy)

Entering PS Plus:
7th January: inFAMOUS First Light (PS4)
7th January: The Swapper (PS4/PS3/PS Vita Cross Buy)
7th January: Prototype 2 (PS3)
7th January: DuckTales Remastered (PS3)
7th January: Woah Dave! (PS Vita)
7th January: Duke Nukem 3D Megatron Edition (PS Vita, not available in Germany)
7th January: Gravity Crash Ultra (PS Vita, Germany only)

Don’t miss out! Make sure add any of the games scheduled to leave the service to your download list now to ensure you get to play them!

Not a PlayStation Plus member? Then join today from just £5.49/€6.99 p/m. To find out more visit our PlayStation Plus site.

Remember, if you’ve not got access to your PS4, PS3 or PS Vita then you can also buy through our online store.

226 Comments
0 Author replies

Why not tomorrow?

Store update is the first Wednesday of each Month, so not tomorrow!

But tomorrow it’s the first day of the year and it’s thursday. It’s anoying to wait 7 days to play inFamous FL

PS+ games have always been released a day after the first Tuesday of the month (so first Wednesday of the month unless the Wednesday is the 1st). I don’t see how this should be an exception.

Show more replies

Pretty solid month for me. Some games I’ve been itching to play.

I just wish DuckTales (WOOHOO!) was on Vita. My PS3 has been gathering dust due to PS4 / Vita recently.

supersmith2500 31 December, 2014 @ 16:23
2.1

You know the guy named Gio Corsi right, he is currently holding a campaign called #thebulidinglist on Twitter where he follows his fans requests to decide which games to release on PS4 and PSVita. I think Ducktales Remastered would make a perfect fit for the PSVita as it is a 2.5D platformer and it only uses 2D graphics for the characters. If Capcom can bring Resident Evil Revelations 2. I’m sure Wayforward, Disney and Capcom would put this into consideration.

2.2

I don’t think they even bother port the game lol. we are talking about duck tales…

Crap Vita games again, great

supersmith2500 31 December, 2014 @ 16:15
3.1

Give Duke Nukem 3D a go. It’s a great FPS classic. I played it on PC and it’s awesome. Looking forward to play it again. : )

I agree. PS4’s lineup has been getting better, PS3 has always been great (though I don’t think I’ll ever use my PS3 again) but the Vita’s been on decline.

Last great game I got was Dragon’s Crown (velocity 2x was pretty good too).

But there are a lot of great games, even hd remasters to give out.

3.3

Duke Nukem 3D is fab. I’ve been playing the PS3 version and it’s not lost any of it’s fun appeal :)

Show more replies

Any news on DriveClub PS+? I know it had been “delayed indefinitely” but has it been cancelled or…?

Just concider it cancelled until further notice. Eagerly waiting for it to come just drives you mad

I know haha. The funny thing is I’ve never been a racing fan. I’m just shocked at the lack of update.

DriveClub PS+ can’t be released until it is working 100% reliably for the people who purchased it and they are confident the surge in PS+ users won’t cause it to then start struggling again. As they don’t know when that will be they can’t give an estimate. They are making progress and it’s working much better than it was it still isn’t there and not all online features intended for launch are yet enabled as they are still managing the demand on the servers. So delayed indefinitely is all they can say until things are stable and then they can plan for a PS+ launch and give an estimate and more useful information

Show more replies

The Swapper is a gem, a masterpiece.

Couldn’t agree more.
From where in Turkey?
I lived in Hatay for some time.

5.2

This ^
Excellent and ever puzzles, dark setting and good storyline.

I like the look of Whoa Dave! and I hadn’t picked up inFamous First Light yet, so I’ll definitely enjoy those :) Thanks Chris.

I assume Duke Nukem 3D Megatron Edition will also be a just ‘decent’ 7€ game, if Gravity Crash Ultra is considered a replacement of equal value for Germany?

If Duke Nukem is a ‘full price AAA’ title with platinum trophy though, please get back to your planing stage and try a bit better … at least once in all the history of disappointing and lacklustre replacement. Yes, we haven’t forgotten titles as that PSP Lego games.

Just ONCE act as if you actually care Chris!

7.1

I think Germany is getting the better deal here, Duke Nukem is ancient and lame.

Oh, I’m no Duke Nukem fan either Primebuster.

But it’s beyond any doubt that we’ll receive another cheap “oh, what else do we have lying around” replacement. They always seem to invest about 5 minutes and be done with whatever the result is.

7.3

The problem is if they offered something awesome then people in other regions would just complain they wanted that instead of Duke Nukem. So Sony are damned if do, damned if they don’t.

But there are less people to upset if they just give Germany a cheaper title.

Show more replies

Great month!
Weird Duke Nukem has no platinum trophy though, very strange how Sony decide these things.

Nice. Already have First Light but it’s great. The Swapper was one of 2013’s GOTYs. Duke Nukem is always awesome.

I read the list a few hours ago and I wasn’t thrilled. It’s Christmas (also the first month of the year) and the game was released in July 2012..If that’s the best you can come up with things are looking quite perilous in the future.

Duke Nukem 3D is Cross Buy?

Really good month in comparison to the past ones. Looking forward to playing all of these titles, especially Duck Tales and Duke Nukem. Thanks for a great start, Sony. :D

supersmith2500 31 December, 2014 @ 16:30

Btw Chris. It’s Megaton Edition, not Megatron.

13.1

I was about to write the same… as if the Duke had anything to do with that whiney-ass pile of scrap metal!

Jeff-Andrew-NL 31 December, 2014 @ 16:31

Good mix of indie, classic and triple-A!
Keep it up guys. Lets make 2015 a better year for the IGC than 2014 was.

Cheers :)

That Vita game looks so bad. Atari 2600 tier. Well at least Duke Nukem and PS4 games are good.

X_Blood_Curse_X 31 December, 2014 @ 16:37

Woah dave is $1 on the eshop and is a pretty lame pick, blatant filler. Also please stop calling these naff games “highly addictive”, im starting to think theres an inside joke between blog members. Other than that, good month! :)

Agree I love indie and I loved my Atari 800XL back in 1985!
This however just doesn’t do it for me in 2015, won’t even download it, the video just doesn’t do anything for me at all.

Click on one of the two comments below that corresponds better on how you feel about this ps+ update.
Please, click only one, so that the results are more or less representative of our feelings towards the service. Thank you.

17.1

>> I enjoy this month’s ps+ update.

17.2

>> I don’t enjoy this month’s ps+ update.

17.3

I voted “I enjoy” for a change :)

Show more replies

great work as always chris, hope you enjoy your new year!

any chance “rain” could be in the PS3 titles in the future? dying to try it but too scared to buy :P

Nice avatar you got there XD

Looking like a good month. More Infamous is always a good things as far as I’m concerned and I don’t even own a PS4. Happily playing through Infamous 2 atm on PS3.

Prototype 2 I might try, not sure. I like open world super powered games, but Prototype I’ve not heard good things about.

Ducktales Remastered… I love anything Disney, enough said!

Also yay Cross-buy support!

Have a good new year guys!!!

Another great month as always, then again I’ve never been displeased with PS+, already got the money for a 1-year subscription out of it from the first month imo. Always really good value.

Luckily my PS+ subscription just expired this month, because I need to study for my exams in January so I can’t have too many distractions of great games! :P

@ Chris Howe from SCEE, as I’ve said multiple times, I think you need to be careful by not providing too much value for PS+. It’s already borderline incredible value. If you provide too much value and put too much recent games on PS+ people will be conditioned to expect more and more for their money and might be more hesitant to not buy many new games, which might cut into the game business revenue for publishers and for SCE. Of course, it isn’t really my concern, but just saying. :)

And happy new year everyone! =)

20.1

I bet you’re heaps of fun at parties(!) :)

20.2

Is this a late entry for joke of the year competition?

20.3

are you joking? I never played a ps plus games for like what? 8 months! All they give us indie, indie, indie…indie! Finaly this last two months we got some AAA’s and you say stop it? I think you should see a doctor soon

Show more replies

“7th January: Duke Nukem 3D Megatron Edition”

It adds an alternate twist of the game where Megatron starts bringing the Decepticons into Duke’s world and so Nukem goes to war with all their tech at his disposal. It’s also the most oddball crossover Duke Nukem’s ever done.

It could also be rated as the best typo in a while. xD Either way, a pretty solid list and looking forward to the gaming in the future – even if I have no room on my Vita for all the games! (Luckily my PS3 still does.)

Inherentdragon 31 December, 2014 @ 16:53

Another great month!(except for whoa Dave,cuz that does look a bit..well,pants!)loved Infamous Second Son so really excited about First Light.never played the original Duck Tales and The Swapped looks good too.And even Duke Nukem looks good..The only trouble is I’m still doing Lego Batman 3,have Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition waiting to be played!:)

European_Gamer 31 December, 2014 @ 17:15

Here is a quick vote. Do you prefer brand new indie games or old AAA games?

European_Gamer 31 December, 2014 @ 17:16
23.1

Vote if you prefer new indie games

European_Gamer 31 December, 2014 @ 17:17
23.2

Vote if you prefer old AAA games

23.3

There’s two games on each plat form, so why not both?

Show more replies

Aw, another month of Vita getting the short end of the stick. “Thanks” for always giving us low quality games, ancient ports and multiplats that everyone already has, Sony. There’s still a ton of full price games to choose from, yknow? :/

Oh well.
Are we getting the weekly discount today? Or do we have to wait until the 7th because of how good the last week was?

24.1

What’s the problem with the games? or that’s just crying about the PS Vita games.

24.2

I love the games :)

24.3

The Swapper is one year old and a very deserving recipient of a number of awards. I can’t see how anyone could fault it as a choice for the IGC.

Woohoo everyone got what they wanted a game with polygons.
It’s a shame infamous had the worst combat of the year…
Looking forward to the swapper personally.

25.1

First light has the best combat of the year actually.

Still not convinced to renew my sub. Some of these games kind of interest me but we’re very far from what this service used to be. It’s better than the past few months, though.

Thank you very much! i already have Prototype 2, but the others are cool :D

Finally a decent lineup! Thank you :)

counterUAVbaby 31 December, 2014 @ 18:51

Well, Prototype 2, isn’t for me, I will leave it aside, and also the Swapper. I am excited for Ducktales Remastered though! Duke Nukem 3D isn’t crossbuy?

Excellent choices hopefully we can get
Twisted metal
Mickey
Ni no kuni
The prince and Killzone triliogy.

PS4 and PS3 games are great. Duke and Woah Dave! Did You Just Pixel Fart? not so much…Happy New Year!

A great start to the new year! Hope 2015 will be a better year. It’s nice to see PS3 getting something a bit more decent again and it’s even better to see a game I’m finally excited to play on PS4 (inFAMOUS). Just hope 2015 games will be as good as what we got in 2012 and 2013. 2014 wasn’t much of a good year compared to the previous two.

Really, really pleased to be getting First Light.

Would also really love to get Defense Grid 2 in the future.

USAFMWDHandler 31 December, 2014 @ 21:41

I got an email with a code to redeem 1 of 5 movies to get for free and it won’t work! What can be done about that?

Last I heard, Australia and New Zealand don’t have Prototype 2 in their PlayStation Stores. Are they going to get it or a replacement?

35.1

Hmm, good spotting. Just checked and you’re right, it’s not on the NZ store. Hopefully we’ll see it released, last month was mucked up for NZ too without any kind of update or warning, so hopefully they don’t do a repeat.

So we’re just gonna pretend the outage didn’t happen then?

No crediting of the lost days of our PS+ subs
No explanation as to how Europe received no updates whatsoever until after it was all over
Nothing

On topic, this is a pretty good lineup, been wanting to get The Swapper for a while but the PS4 price was just plain stupid.

FriendlyFireOz 01 January, 2015 @ 01:31

All round a great update! Looking forward to Duke Nukem on the Vita, along with The Swapper.

Good balance of games I reckon, already own Last Light but happy to see it in there as everyone should play it.

One request though, with last months offerings Deadly Premonition wasn’t available until about the third week in for New Zealanders so most subscribers will no doubt miss it. Should be followed up with an email to relevant people, or at the least an announcement on this blog for customers.

38.1

Just reading BiglouUK’s post about the availability of Prototype 2 in New Zealand and Australia, please clarify the situation on this.

Aside from Woah Dave, this is a pretty good update. I thought Duke wasn’t coming out til the 14th, so that’s a nice surprise. Amazing game that I played the hell out of, surprised kids are whining about it.

Thanks for the first good month of PS+ games in a while, Sony :)

This is a pretty good update, aside from Woah Dave. I didn’t think Duke Nukem was coming out til the 14th so it’s a nice surprise that I’ll be playing it next week. It’s a fantastic game that maybe some of the kids complaining should actually try before whining that it’s “old and lame”.

Thanks for the first good update in quite a while, Sony. :)

bandungcincau 01 January, 2015 @ 02:37

These are some pretty good games i think based on the gameplay i saw. Thanks Sony. but I really hope you can have something like a steam sale. Believe me, It’s gonna be great. And I’m just wondering when does the 10 code discount can be use?

Great month. I was hoping the Swapper would be cross buy too so I can put it on my Vita rather than PS4.

As for Duke Nukem, eat **** and die!

Not a great month imo. Already own First light and is not a full game so I take that as a bad sign and hope to see atleast one full game on ps4 after that and not just occasionally. Had plenty of Indies up until now, don’t forget about your AAA audience ;) Will give Ducktales a go and maybe Duke if it’s any good on Vita.

ghettokid1987 01 January, 2015 @ 06:33

Since adding PS4 to PSplus with compelled payment for online multiplayer, there will no be “great” content in IGC for PS3 and especially for PSVita.

To those off you who think they didn’t give us epic games this months as well look at the awesome game that is Woah Dave! i mean come on its Woah Dave! can any game even bear Woah Dave! i dont think so. next month maybe ps vita owners can get Woah Dave! 2 then we can Woah Dave! while we Woah Dave! in Woah Dave! Son.

45.1

Couldn’t help but smile at this :)

45.2

Couldn’t help but face palm at this.

mihalekpihalek 01 January, 2015 @ 08:17

Well, I would be lying if I say that these games are bad. They are not. But personally for me (PS Vita owner only) is PS Plus since June 2014 disappointment. You guys simply don´t care about vita user. I remember times when we got Wipout 2048 and Lumines in one month!!! Incredible. Now we have to be happy for 2 indies. Last retail Vita game Lego Harry Potter from August 2014. Don´t get me wrong indie games are fresh air but if breath fresh air for 6 month you need change. But I probably get it – there are just few retail games in development for Vita and you cannot use last remaining (LBP, AC etc.) for PS Plus…

46.1

Can you please tell me how Duke Nukem is an indie game?

monkeystrummer 01 January, 2015 @ 12:55
46.2

Man, screw the Vita. Every month it is always the same whining, whining, whining about the Vita. Here is an idea. Why don’t all the whiney Vita owners stop paying the ps+ subscription and just go out and buy the games that you would like to see appear on the Vita? You see how that works? It is called getting what you paid for and then we can all browse the comments with constant Vita Vita Vita moaning. Honestly, everytime I picture the Vita, I always imagine some miserable faced person throwing a tantrum and crying. Maybe if you all cheered up a bit you would get nice stuff? Santa doesn’t like little whiners.

Only having a Vita and PS+ is a waste of money in my opinion. I bought a vita to get more value for my subscription when I realised last year that the PS4 was getting mostly garbage. I have bought a stupid amount of Vita games and a big memory card to hold them though. Who says it has no games?

Why can’t you release Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition in Germany? It is available on Steam in Germany so it should already be rated. You can only buy stuff from the PSN store if you are an adult anyway.
This is laughable and a big slap in the face of your fans who have been waiting months for this port.

Heck, when the PSN team messed up the launch and uploaded it too soon it was even available in Germany. Of course, I missed that apparently one of a lifetime chance to get the game on Vita.
I am really angry right now. Was really looking forward to play this game on Vita.

Why can’t you release Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition in Germany? It is available on Steam in Germany. You can only buy from the PSN store when you are an adult (this includes the PS+ subscription). This is a big joke and a huge *swear word* to your fans who have been waiting months for the release of the game.

The game was even uploaded to the German store when the PSN team messed up the launch. So apparently that was the only chance to get the game in Germany and I missed it.
I am really angry and disappointed right now.

HAPPY NEW YEAR Everybody !

Really nice selection. Looking forward to giving these a go.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.