2015 preview: 15 huge PS4 console exclusives for the year ahead

Let us know what you’re most looking forward to in the next 12 months

Wakey wakey everyone. Shake off those New Year’s Day hangovers and post-Christmas blues – 2015 is here and it brings with it some absolutely tantalising gaming prospects. And the best place to enjoy said entertainment? Well, I hope you’ll forgive us for arguing that it’s on PlayStation 4. Our proof? See exhibit 1 above and check out 15 big PS4 console exclusives heading your way in the next 12 months.

Of course, that’s just a taste of what 2015 holds in store for gamers. Our third party partners are readying some massive blockbusters, such as Batman: Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, Mortal Kombat X, Battlefield Hardline, Dying Light and Evolve.

And our talented friends in the independent development community are stepping up to the plate too. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, Grim Fandango Remastered, Axiom Verge, Not a Hero, Soma, Broforce, Titan Souls, Super TIME Force Ultra, Gang Beasts, Broken Age, N++, Galak-Z, Hyper Light Drifter, Shovel Knight, OlliOlli 2… the list goes on and on.

In short, it’s shaping up to be a banner year for PlayStation gamers.

So, check out the video above and then let us know how your 2015 shopping list is shaping up in the comments below.

Finally, I’ll take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and prosperous 2015 on behalf of everyone here at SCEE! Normal PlayStation Blog service will resume next week – until then, have a great weekend!

Did you enjoy this?

96 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
MonkeyBrainsToo 1 January, 2015 @ 2:19 pm   1

It is going to be an expensive year cos I want most of those games. Providing I can tear myself away from Destiny that is!

BarryBallache 1 January, 2015 @ 2:24 pm   2

Dont forget the third party awesome sauce that is Project Cars coming in March as well!

in all honesty, we already have an amazing racer in Driveclub…i don’t care what some bot’s makes people think.
    Even the lead designer of GT said a couple month’s back, don’t expect GT to look as good as DC, what they have done is stunning.

PC looks to be another good track based racer, but Evolution set the bar really high. let’s hope for the best.

ESPKruspe 3 January, 2015 @ 10:43 am

100% agreed. To the other reply, Drive Club looks good, but that is all.

Yakuza 5!!
Yes, a PS3 game in 2015 is my most anticipated. (hope it gets a PS4 release though)

Looks like I’d better start saving up.. !

Most of the ones on that list just don’t interest me at all – fortunately, there’s a lot more coming out that will finally persuade me to buy a PS4:

Persona 5 – most anticipated game of the year. Now that it’s coming to PS4 as well, it’s taken away my last reason for staying with PS3, as there’s now no more exclusive PS3 must buys coming out for me.

No Man’s Sky – Finally, a space sim game that us console gamers can get our hands on. While I would love Star Citizen to come to consoles, it’s not going to happen, but this is looking to be a great alternative.

Final Fantasy XV – my hopes are not high, and are not even high that we’ll get this before first quarter 2016, since SE have been infected with the polar opposite of the Midas touch ever since the PS3 came out, in that everything they touch turns to dross and they seem hell bent on trying to commit corporate suicide with every mad new decision they make, but this is looking promising.

Soul Saga: Episode 1 – not on many people’s radars, but an old school JRPG will always score points for me.

Witcher 3 – it’s hard not to get excited for this, with its massive open world and beautiful graphics. The fact that, unlike some unscrupulous publishers such as EA, they’ve actually had the minerals to delay release purely for bug fixing is a very, very good sign that we’ll have a complete, polished experience on launch.

I also hope to see some work from SCEE and SCEA to persuade more Japanese producers to bring more of their games West. There were some truly awesome titles displayed at TGS last year like Ys and Dragon Quest Heroes, but how many of them will be localised is another thing.

Kytetiger 5 January, 2015 @ 1:54 pm

The Witcher 3 “we’ll have a complete, POLISHed experience on launch.” …. like…because…. it’s from Poland ?! 😀

ok i’m out ->[]

RO-nIn187 7 January, 2015 @ 1:13 pm

Yeah great games coming… Personally can’t wait for MGS PP and about the comment on Witcher 3 from Poland: Witcher 1 and 2 came out with few bugs considering the size and content of those games… And I pre-ordered 3 for PC already because the publisher may be from Poland but they are great with their policies on drm (none) and dlc (free)… They proved that before with the enhanced editions which also came as free upgrades, EA and ubi could take that as an example…

Blueberryboll 1 January, 2015 @ 2:47 pm   6

Can we hope for PS1 & PS2 Classics for PS4 in 2015 as well? Fingers crossed!

macgyvermx 2 January, 2015 @ 11:18 am

you can already via the PlaystationTV

Blueberryboll 2 January, 2015 @ 12:00 pm

The PS Vita and PS TV can run PS1 games, but they can not run the catalogue of emulated PS2 Classics. I hope it will therefore come to PS4 soon.

KaneTheGoth 1 January, 2015 @ 3:01 pm   7

Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle are the top of my list!

Sod the games, i would just be happy in 2015 if the following happened in the eu , as the last few months have been shocking
Need better communication from sony for a start , 3 days to report on the ddos attack is not good, then copy and paste from us blog , taking days longer than live to sort, and still having to change mtu

Ps plus last year was a joke on ps4 and vita, and even ps3 was pretty bad til end of year when it got slightly better,
But again in october, delayed update again no communication took days to tell us what was happening and even delayed the eu update so the americans could get it first
Is this year gonna be better?
Games problems,new singstar shambles, driveclub failure (ps plus canned is it), little big planet 3 dlc problems
to name a few, can we expect to see some good working releases?
Firmware problems?
Deals that are actually deals, 12 days of christmas was pretty poor for example

share play, great idea but if companies can block it-cant see the point
How about some of the promised stuff from when ps4 launched resume play etc
Sony started off in front in 2014 but didnt feel that way at the end?

So tell us w hat kind of service can we expect this year and are you going to care about the uk and eu?

No comment then, how ironic on a post about communication, although didn’t expect any less from you all

Witcher70 1 January, 2015 @ 3:12 pm   9

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Grim Fandango, Soul Saga, No Man’s Sky, Broken Age, Shovel Knight, Batman Arkham Knight, Lara Croft: Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4: A thief’s End are my top most wanted list for 2015 😛

TotalBiscuit257 1 January, 2015 @ 4:19 pm

Rise of the Tomb Raider’s been money hatted as an XO/360 exclussive for 2015. It might get a port to PC and PS3/4 in 2016 mind, although both MS and Square-Enix are keeping tight lipped about even the possibility right now.

K_C_1987 5 January, 2015 @ 4:46 am

Have you got a link to back up it wont be on ps4 til 2016 because last I heard nothing had been said and its probally part of the timed exclusivity deal to say nothing about a ps4 release until a set date

Happy New Year PS Blog! Looking forward to a lot of these exclusives.

Where’s Helldivers? I’ve just checked its page and it states 2014 And Broforce?

jfontyman 1 January, 2015 @ 3:40 pm

delayed Q1 2015 but with no firm release date, in other words….when it’s ready.

European_Gamer 1 January, 2015 @ 3:41 pm

Should be here soon. I don’t know why they moved the release date to 2015.

Harrisown 1 January, 2015 @ 3:20 pm   12

Those are just the games we know about too….. Expect more 😉

European_Gamer 1 January, 2015 @ 3:46 pm

I agree. I expect a game from Media Molecule, Zindagi and London if they launch Morpheus/PS VR in 2015. And they can’t keep making that Last Guardian.

Have Volume in the video yet no mention of helldivers? Why are you hiding this game? The devs says it’s Sony who is deciding when to give out the release date etc. Please don’t send the game YOU are publishing out to die. Instead of some niche title like Volume getting blog post every month how about give some support to helldivers?

European_Gamer 1 January, 2015 @ 3:48 pm   14

I would have added the MMOFPS PlanetSide 2 to that video with console exclusives.

SatoshiOokami 1 January, 2015 @ 4:29 pm   15

Where is Omega Quintet? =D
THAT is something to look forward in 2015 =D

Porcupeth00 1 January, 2015 @ 4:41 pm   16

Ratchet & Clank.. persona 5..etc

dark_angel69 1 January, 2015 @ 4:54 pm   17

Games I’m looking forward to: (not in order)
1) Uncharted 4
2) The Order 1886
3) Battlefield Hardline
4) No Man’s Sky
5) WiLD
6) Rise of the Tomb Raider (Oh please come to PS4!! Pretty please!!)
7) Witcher 3
8) Ratchet and clank + movie
9) Bloodborne
10)Rainbow 6 Siege
11) Evolve
12) Final Fantasy Type-0

13) Zelda U <- Sorry I had to add in a Wii U game.

Bassmonkey_Mike 1 January, 2015 @ 4:56 pm   18

The Order
Witcher 3
Uncharted 4
Rise of Tomb Raider

demonsgalore 1 January, 2015 @ 5:18 pm   19

Just can’t wait

seshinsince81 1 January, 2015 @ 5:42 pm   20

Exciting gaming year incoming. Again, just like some players I need to rip myself away from destiny as I’m starting to mount up a back log of PS4 & erm, pc steam games lol. Just couldn’t help reveal my dirty little secret (pc gaming).

madmanwithabox12 1 January, 2015 @ 5:48 pm   21

For 2015 I’m looking forward to…

Batman: Arkham Knight
Persona 4: Dancing All Night
Persona 5
Oddworld: New N Tasty
Shovel Knight
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Axiom Verge
Hell Divers
Resident Evil Revelations 2

SatoshiOokami 2 January, 2015 @ 4:52 pm

P4D is not planned to have PS4 version. 🙂

madmanwithabox12 2 January, 2015 @ 5:00 pm

Never said my list is just PS4. This is the PlayStation blog, not the PS4 blog – though it does feel like the PS4 blog a lot of the time, it must be said.

I’ll take:
The Order 1886
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn

ambuckle 1 January, 2015 @ 6:41 pm   23

Witcher 3
Dark Souls II (on PS4)
Resident Evil Revelations 2

These are the games with my attention.

killercake 1 January, 2015 @ 6:46 pm   24

I don’t have a PS4 as there wasn’t much to get excited about in it’s 1st year….example: The highlight of the year, Destiny? Yawn.

Looking at this years line up just bores me, some ‘same old’ sequels and more cartoony games. Even by years end i’d be lucky to count on one hand the total amount of games i’d be interested in playing, lets give it a try:

1) Trials Fusion
2) Batman: Arkham Knight
3) Peggle 2
4) ….hmm, damn, nope can’t think of anymore.

Oh well, good job the PS3 has more on it 🙂

PianoGuy05 2 January, 2015 @ 9:53 pm

What about No Man’s Sky? It’s definitely not a sequel or a cartoony game, and at the moment it’s shaping up to be one of the best games of 2015 imo. I know I may be getting a little ahead of myself, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be one of the games that ultimately ends up defining the PS4.

Uncharted 4 is the game I’ll buy the console for (yes will buy, not have bought)
Then eagerly awaiting The Division. And wouldn’t mind a bit of Arkham Knight as well.

The games I’d be looking forward in 2015, and definitely what I’d want to get:

1. Deep Down
2. The Tomorrow Children
3. Until Dawn

ad.1 Is FFXV coming out this year or next?
ad.2 What’s going on with Rebel?

There are games other than No Man’s Sky coming out in the future? Why even bother? :p

(Though jokes aside I’m looking forward to Persona 5 almost as much~)

killercake 1 January, 2015 @ 8:03 pm   28

“15 Huge PS4 Exclusives” ?? I think that’s stretching it a bit Sony ^.^

Uncharted i stopped playing on the 2nd one though i did enjoy it on the Vita. I don’t think The Uncharted series has anything new to offer. Even the forthcoming Batman as good as i’m sure it will be will not have the impact as the previous games.

Even though the PS4 has yet to still wake up to it’s full potential i cannot see it having the gaming impact that the PS3 has had. It won’t have it’s equivalent of Deadspace, Bioshock or Red Dead Redemption to name but three, ok i’ll name another two: Vanquish and Bayonetta….all these games would shame anything yet released on the PS4, looking at this years line-up it will shame them too!!

Personally i think games have become so expensive to make that few companies can make AAA titles anymore and even those that can cannot risk to deviate from their flagship series. So that’s AAA originality out the window!!
In short: The PS4 is being held back by the greatness of PS3 and the rising cost of making AAA games is stifling the chances of anything groundbreaking coming along.

Yeah, you aren’t missing too much with Uncharted 3 imo. If you think the series isn’t that exciting you can definitely skip the 3rd one and maybe Uncharted 4 will end up reinvigorating your interest again.

Uncharted 3 is easily the most mediocre Uncharted game imo. Uncharted 2 and Uncharted: Golden Abyss are the best ones imo.

JJonez18 1 January, 2015 @ 9:14 pm

You shouldn’t compare the gaming library of a mature 7(?) year old console to one just entering its 2nd. So far we’ve gotten WatchDogs, Destiny, DriveClub, and Resogun, and we’re getting Bloodborne, The Order, Dying Light, No Man’s Sky, Untl Dawn, Tomorrow Children, Deep Down…(That’s all the new ip I care to mention, you get the point). All ip aren’t sequals or as formulaic as you see it. There’s originality, and plenty of it. The PS3 was great but that doesn’t take away from the success of the PS4.

As for development costs, one major money sink in game development is creating a new game engine tailored each unique platform. Most devs would agree that the PS3’s cell was by far the most difficult to develop for. I’m sure that was a factor when games like Witcher, Bioshock, and Mass Effect skipped the PS3 altogether in its early years. As for this generation devs are basically working with PC architecture. Once they create a specific engine or revamp the one from last generation, the cost of creating new games goes down significantly.

One last thing, I personally believe a game doesn’t have to be groundbreaking to be enjoyed. It’s impossible to reinvent the wheel for every new game. Games like Uncharted don’t do anything new, but they do them better than anyone else. Batman may be just another beat’em up, but does that take away from Rocksteady’s amazing combat system and storytelling? Is it really such a problem that people enjoy the last CoD or FIFA just as much as they did 10 years ago? Games are games. AAA=AA=A. Simple as that.

1) There have been plenty of new ip’s already(although not to the standard of those you named) and plenty more to come in the PS4’s(,Wii U, and Xbox since you specified multiplatforms) lifetime.
    2) Cost of development goes down as new, more efficient game engines take shape.
    3) A game can still be enjoyed even if it’s the 2nd, 7th or 15th iteration in the series.

joshua_lux 6 January, 2015 @ 11:13 am

Another thing to remember is that those games you held up as excellent (and I agree on every one, btw) on PS3 aren’t themselves totally original in terms of form. Bioshock is a fairly straight-up FPS. Red Dead Redemption is literally GTA set in the Wild West (in fact it’s the best GTA ever made). Deadspace has some pretty stark similarities gameplay-wise with Resi 4. Bayonetta is (whisper it) Devil May Cry.

All of these games are original and inspiring and fun but that’s more down to the art, story concept, writing and polish than the mechanics themselves. Who’s to say The Order won’t be as good as these? Or Rime? While I agree that the new Batman game won’t have the same impact as Arkham Asylum (and don’t forget, until then the general thinking was licensed games = suck), it *might* blow the rest of the series out of the water.

Until we play them we won’t know. I know it sounds like I’m playing devil’s advocate, but I’m just saying that originality is not necessarily constrained by form and franchise. And there were many people that thought (and probably still think) that the PS3 was held back by the greatness of the PS2, and that none of its games touch PS2 classics for originality. But all those PS3 games you listed are still excellent, potentially life-changing titles. So… don’t get too gloomy, I guess.

Ratchet & Clank?! 😛

I know an announcement trailer and gameplay footage has yet to be revealed, but since SCE & Insomniac have revealed that the game is happening and coming in 2015 it’s certainly worth a mention.

I don’t have a PS4, but Ratchet & Clank would be my most anticipated game. Ratchet & Clank is easily one of SCE’s best franchises imo.

Naquadah 1 January, 2015 @ 8:40 pm   30

Notice console exclusive, not just exclusive. I’ll pick up The Witness on PC

Disgaea 5
Persona 5
One Piece: Pirate warriors 3
Hyperdimension Neptunia V-II
Shenran Kagura Estival
Akiba Strip (PS4)
Final Fantasy X / X-II (PS4)
Omega Quintet
NIS TBA titles

Sigh… No love for niche games make me sad

2015 is shaping up to be a great year in terms of games.

Very nice line-up of games from SCE:

– The Order: 1886
– Drawn to Death
– Kill Strain
– BigFest
– Guns Up!
– Journey PS4
– PlanetSide 2 PS4*
– Driveclub expansion (new country: Japan)

And 2016 is shaping up to be just as great in terms of SCE games:

– What Remains of Edith Finch
– Wild
– Gran Turismo 7 (TBA)
– God of War IV (TBA)
– Media Molecule’s new game (TBA)
– Guerilla Games’ new game (TBA)
– SCE Bend Studio’s new game (TBA)
– EverQuest Next*

*These are SOE games of course, not SCE, but I included them because SOE is a sister company of SCE.

@ Fred Dutton from SCEE, I think it would be better if you would seperate the first-party games from the ‘console exclusives’, because now it might make it seem like the first-party games are also ‘console exclusives’.

And please, just stop using the term ‘console exclusive’ as a whole. I always found it a very misleading term since it does make it sound like the game is exclusive to consoles when what you mean is that the console version of that game (that is also coming – or already out – on Windows/Linux/Mac) is exclusive to PS4 / PlayStation. So, please try to be more clear with PR language like that. Maybe you should drop the term ‘console exclusive’ all together and just use the word ‘exclusive’ for first-party SCE games that you can guarantee are only on PlayStation.

Oh how could I forget Rime.

I’m interested and looking forward literally to all those games, except MLB 15 (no interest in baseball), Drawn to Death (just not really my type of game, too gory and sketchy for my likings despite the gameplay looking decent) and BigFest.

Stonesthrow 1 January, 2015 @ 9:00 pm   33

My pre orders are : Uncharted 4, MGS5, Witcher 3, Order 1886, Batman Arkham Knight, Star Wars Battlefront, Mass Effect 4, FFXV, Division and BF Hardline. And a few Indies but definitely gonna need more to keep me over :p

JJonez18 1 January, 2015 @ 9:19 pm   34

Why did you guys ignore the games coming from Japan’s?
Disgaea 5
Persona 5(also on PS3)
Deep Down
DragonQuest Heroes(also on PS3)

Because – outsite of Persona 5 – those have yet to be confirmed to be localized to EU + PAL regions and North America. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t know why they didn’t include Persona 5, though, but then again, they forgot some first-party games as well.

andrewsqual 1 January, 2015 @ 10:00 pm   35

New/old Ratchet and Clank. When will Insomniac Games be announcing this. The sooner its announced the sooner it will be finished and I can play it 🙂

fps_d0minat0r 1 January, 2015 @ 10:58 pm   36

Uncharted will be day 1, and maybe the order.
I hope N++ will come to vita.

COOL games incoming 😛 Really enjoyed 2014 & 2015 looks & sounds even better 😛 PS4Life;)

Romero_Carpenter 2 January, 2015 @ 8:26 am   38

I’m most looking forward to the PS4 becoming backwards compatible :oP so I can keep my library of PS3 games. (or going down drastically in price) Already went through this when the PS3 came out and couldn’t play my PS2 games on it so I waited years before I forked out for a PS3. I’ll be doing the same with the PS4. Waiting years. Considering the PS3 games are being phased out in stores already. I’ll just quickly add them to my backlog of games and buy another PS3.

A videounlimited service from 2009 available for the ps3,ps4,psvita in 2015

The possibility of things shown on the box of the psvitatelevision , like downloading spiderman movie, gravity to be available
And most of that a customerservice replying to their customers questions

Hanzoadam 2 January, 2015 @ 1:40 pm   40

Where all the JRPG’s at?

Subhaan311 2 January, 2015 @ 3:34 pm   41

uncharted 4 is gonna be the best after gta 5

monoliet 2 January, 2015 @ 4:23 pm   42

instand buy in real store
witcher 3

intresting ( to folow / see more )

some games not in list

rest of you games not geting intrested
very intrested in starbound ( not in list )

monoliet 2 January, 2015 @ 4:27 pm   43

i forget 2
EverQuest Nex
elder scrols
( al depent on 2 tings )
a- abo type
b- if abo not to expensife + abo in psn store

Still eagerly awaits next fallout game

STATIONFREAK73 3 January, 2015 @ 6:41 am   45

i heave need…a need 4 speed i hope…

LT-Lietuva-LT 3 January, 2015 @ 10:41 am   46

Rime! We need more games like this. Peaceful games.

miami_jim44 3 January, 2015 @ 1:48 pm   47

Tom Clancy’s The Division, this is what I am waiting for.

Rastamadeus 3 January, 2015 @ 4:29 pm   48

Looks like it’s going to be a quiet year for my PS4. Take No Man’s Sky, Arkham Knight and The Division away and the console wouldn’t be touched. Even the Wii U only has three other games I want (Star Fox, Splatoon and Zelda). 2015, for me, could be a very poor (but cheap thankfully) year videogame-wise

HeikeStagBeetle 3 January, 2015 @ 9:06 pm   49

Yakuza 5. I don’t need the PS4’s fancy graphics, I just need my Kamurocho fix.
And Persona 5.

And possibly a blog post announcing Yakuza 0’s Western release as a PS4 exclusive. That will be the day I buy a PS4.

ScootaKuH 4 January, 2015 @ 1:48 pm   50

A lot of indies. Don’t know whether that’s a good thing or not. Seems to be a larger proportion of indies to full-blown titles these days which I would guess isn’t exactly why most people bought their PS4s.

In any case only Tearaway looks worth getting for me, and even then it’s a remake and expansion of a Vita game. Originality truly is dead 🙁

Load all