Posted

Toukiden: Kiwami comes to PS4 and PS Vita this March

The expanded beast-battling action RPG adds masses of new content

Around this time last year I blogged about Toukiden: The Age of Demons for the PS Vita and we received a lot of positive feedback from many PlayStation fans here (that made us very happy!). Today we’re proud to announce that Toukiden: Kiwami is coming to PS4 and PS Vita on 27th March 2015 (in both physical and digital formats) in Europe.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Toukiden: Kiwami is double the size of the original game, so you should expect new weapons, newly discovered Oni, new Mitama (over 100 new Mitama), new Slayers, new moves, and twice as many stages.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

New Slayers arrive!

Toukiden: Kiwami features both the original Toukiden: The Age of Demons story and a brand new story of roughly the same size, following on from the original. The truth will finally be revealed about the origins of the Slayers and the mysterious Council of Elders. All your favourite characters from the first title return, such as Ōka, Hayatori and the other characters from Utakata Village, while new characters such as Reki, Sōma and Horō, make their first appearance, revealing additional depths to the story.

New Slayers

New moves based around co-op multiplayer

One of the most popular features of Toukiden was the cooperative multiplayer mode, which allowed up to four players to join forces in the war against the Oni. This title strengthens the cooperative element further, with the introduction of a new and more powerful move than the “Destroyer”, that can only be executed in cooperation with your human or NPC allies. NPC AI has been improved for Toukiden: Kiwami, allowing you to work with smarter and more realistic allies than ever before in the war against the Oni!

New mission types

For those Slayers for whom fighting just one Oni isn’t enough, a range of new special mission types have been added. Certain Mitama and other rewards can only be acquired in these missions. Together with the collection of special materials that can only be acquired from new Oni and which can be used to create new weapons and armour, there is a host of new features in the game.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

New weapons! Newly discovered Oni! New Mitama!

A wide variety of new features has been added, from more difficult mission types to new weapon types such as the “naginata,” and new battle styles. A wide variety of terrifying and deadly new Oni also appear, including the mysterious Oni of the north, Snowflame, doubling the number of Oni from the original title. In addition, the existing Oni have been strengthened with new moves, creating incredible tension on the field of battle.

New story

Kiwami takes place three months after the battle to prevent another Awakening. The village of Utakata enjoys an uneasy peace. However, that peace is suddenly rendered rudely asunder. Hitherto unknown Oni appear from the north, ripping the defenses of the Midlands to shreds.

Here I’ve included this six-minute animation to show you a brief story for Kiwami. Note: This animation serves as an introduction to the world of Toukiden: Kiwami and does not constitute part of the game.

Oh, and one last thing: you can carry across save data from Toukiden: The Age of Demons! Yes, your save data, including weapons, armour, Mitama and progress levels, can be carried across to Toukiden: Kiwami.

That’s all for now – until the next blog post. Have a nice day everyone!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

72 Comments 11 Author replies
Show oldest first

Yaro-sensei 15 January, 2015 @ 2:10 pm   1

Hell yeah, been waiting for the release date. Hype intensifies!

A_Nonny_Moose 15 January, 2015 @ 2:14 pm   2

Fantastic news about the save transfer. Looking forward to this.

Jerzeeboii 15 January, 2015 @ 2:14 pm   3

This is just what I needed! Thanks!

Since it’s ending up on PS4 as well as Vita will there be cross buy/save?

Chin Soon Sun 15 January, 2015 @ 2:52 pm

I can confirm on the cross-save which is a yes. As for the cross-buy, I don’t know yet. I’ll share more information when the time comes.

Thanks for the reply and for releasing the game in the west.

I am really happy to see this game is also coming to the PS4. I know my friends and I will all be buying a copy. That being said, I fully support the idea of cross-buy, or maybe at least a discount if you buy for both the PS4 and Vita.

Crazy_Vantage 22 January, 2015 @ 11:51 am

I’d be surprised if it was cross-buy. Vita games cost about half the RRP of a PS4 game, and PS4 games obviously cost many times more to produce. They won’t want people buying the Vita version as though it was just a 50% discounted PS4 version.

WOW, great news.

Christian399 15 January, 2015 @ 2:18 pm   6

Now get going on the Soul Sacrifice Delta PS4 port! 9 months later and the online on that game is still hopping! C’mon SCEI: SSD, Toukiden, and God Eater 2. The ultimate hunting trifecta on PS4. Believe!

Fantastic News. Still hoping personally for God Eater 2 Rage Burst. But still seeing these games make it to the western audience gives me hope more developers see it as a potential of bringing these details here both physically and digitally.

X_Blood_Curse_X 15 January, 2015 @ 2:27 pm   8

Thanks for bothering to do retail versions, I’m so buying this!

Next up God Eater 2

Interesting that it is coming to PS4. I had the original on Vita but gave up on it when the expanded version was announced for Japan.
Issue I now have is how can I get my save file from PS Plus storage to use on this new version? Without the game card I can’t do anything right?

Chin Soon Sun 15 January, 2015 @ 4:04 pm

That’s the tricky part. Is there any way you could get the game card? I’ll check on how the data transfer work – I’ll either get back to you, or include that in the next blog post. Thanks.

Neolaguna 15 January, 2015 @ 4:29 pm

I’m in the same situation. I have the save in the PS+ storage but I’m unable to download it because I don’t have the game installed. I would like to know if there is something I can do or I’ll have to rent it (because nobody of my friends have the game).

madmanwithabox12 15 January, 2015 @ 2:28 pm   10

Koei Tecmo killing it on Vita right now. Keep it up! 😀

Great news about save imports, but does that work across platforms? Can I play Age of Demons on Vita and move the save over to Kiwami on PS4?

JimCarreyForYou 15 January, 2015 @ 2:30 pm   12

Will buy them all over again day one, thank you and keep bringing more please.

Of all the dates to release it you pick to release it the same day as Bloodborne? + FF type 0 and Dark Souls 2 PS4 release within the same week….

Well good luck I guess.

Porcupeth00 15 January, 2015 @ 3:31 pm

I know i’m not in the majority but i’d rather pick this one up instead of those.

jon_h_blake 15 January, 2015 @ 2:36 pm   14

Sometimes it’s hilarious to read some comments from ps4 users.They want every game of the psvita in ps4 xD
hahaha! And then there is people who says there are no games in vita.
One question:the game will be crossplay between psvita and ps4?

Porcupeth00 15 January, 2015 @ 2:42 pm   15

Sweet.
Any word on pricing and whether it’ll be cross buy? Though if the latter isn’t there i could still remote play I guess

Very excited for this one. Thank you for giving us the save transfer feature and the ability to cross save! I’ll be buying both the PS4 and Vita versions.

Good for those of you who can’t play on a Handheld. The first game was great. Or rather it is great. Still having fun with it 🙂

Sorry for Off Topic: But what happened to KT’s online store? Wanted to buy a Tenko or some other fun things but I can’t find it any more 🙁

Chin Soon Sun 15 January, 2015 @ 3:07 pm

That Tenko plushie was the exclusive item for Japan’s Toukiden Kiwami Treasure Box. We did have some and we sold them at the MCM Comic Con a while ago but that’s all we got.

Sorry, we don’t have an online store for now.

Ahh, ok. Well to Ebay it is then ^^
    Always wanted to have one but always forgot 🙂

Will we be able to play from a Vita with people playing with PS4?

Price?

G1NG4B1SH0N3N 15 January, 2015 @ 4:13 pm   21

Does Toukiden Kiwami contains Toukiden 1.0 story?

Chin Soon Sun 15 January, 2015 @ 4:38 pm

Yes. The content of Toukiden: The Age of Demons is included in Toukiden: Kiwami (and the content of Kiwami is the same size as The Age of Demons) so they’re all in this one package.

G1NG4B1SH0N3N 15 January, 2015 @ 6:23 pm

Thanks!

Serpantino 15 January, 2015 @ 4:16 pm   22

Is it really a proper physical card release and not a code in a box like the image suggests? If so I’m glad I held off & can’t wait to get it. Otherwise I’m not interested.

Chin Soon Sun 15 January, 2015 @ 4:37 pm

It’s a proper box release in package, yes.

Serpantino 18 January, 2015 @ 12:54 am

Thanks that’s great news. I’ll preorder it when i can. Sorry for the confusion but the labelling on the box art reminded me of the layout on some of the later PSP games that only came with a download code inside.

ummagummachild 15 January, 2015 @ 4:20 pm   23

Screenshots made my heart flutter. Didnt play age of demons though, but after reading this post, will surely gonna buy that as well as the upcoming one. Damn the backlog….

shengaorend 15 January, 2015 @ 4:30 pm   24

The title i have been looking forward the most this year. With double the amount of onis, missions, 100 new Mitamas, new weapons and armors i hope to break the 500 hour playtime mark.
Also if there should be seperate trophy lists for the Vita and the PS4 i will buy the PS4 version too.

supersmith2500 15 January, 2015 @ 4:32 pm   25

TK is my favourite studio right now. Thank you so much for supporting your PSVita fans. : )

PS vita games get port to the ps4. Now Port ps4 games to the vita. Now we want blodborne original infamous.

*or infamous. If you love the vita you gonna do this sony.

DaytimeDreamer 15 January, 2015 @ 4:40 pm   28

Thanks for

1) Bringing this to the West
2) Bringing it on a physical disk
3) Being so helpful with questions around the game

So that’s it. Just wanted to say thanks for being awesome Chin 😉

smile_taisou 15 January, 2015 @ 4:44 pm   29

Got Toukiden on release and loved it. Might try a PS4 port this time. I hope it’s 1080p/60 though, so we can justify the higher price.

Chin Soon Sun 15 January, 2015 @ 4:50 pm

It’s definitely 1080p and I believe it’s going to be 60fps too – let me confirm with our dev team in Japan and I’ll get back to you.

Toukiden gets a physical releasodie for the second time,while Atelier games barely get a Vita digital release. Why don’t you sell them in a physical format as well? For example you could ask for Nisa’s help (as you do with Limited Editions) or sell a sort of “Arland Plus Trilogy” if you think a perical retail investment is over your possibilities.

This!

Without retail release of Atelier they can forget about me buying game.

Edit: and I mean of course that I don’t plan to buy Atelier because of lack of proper release.

Toukiden will be pretty much day-1

UK_Rocklance 15 January, 2015 @ 4:55 pm   31

Can different region, even different language, versions of the game play together? If a friend has a Vita version bought in US, I have a PS4 version bought in UK and another friend has an Asia PS4 Chinese version bought in Taiwan, can we all play together?

UK_Rocklance 15 January, 2015 @ 4:56 pm   32

Also, does the Vita version support the PS TV/Vita TV?

Age of Demons support Vita TV at least, so hopefully it work with Kiwami as well.

Sufyan_khadr_37 15 January, 2015 @ 4:57 pm   33

؟؟؟

Awesome news! I was checking the EU Toukiden Kiwami page almost daily to see if anything showed up and finally got my answer as I got back home from work. Very excited 😀

Lunastra78 15 January, 2015 @ 5:07 pm   35

If this is cross-buy (so I can co-op with friends/gf on my Vita & my PS4) you got yourself a sale right here.

Make it happen! 🙂

Thanks for bringing Toukiden: Kiwami to Europe as a physical release for both PS4 and PS Vita!

That’s very good news. I’m definitely going to buy it on Vita.

Now if only you would do the same for Atelier games :/ It is such a shame that you ruined the game with your digital only release, sorry but I’m fed up with those. Bought all 3 previous parts of Atelier, but I won’t be buying next one. Enough is enough! I want Atelier even more than I want Toukiden :/

Vita is not a place for digital only games! PERIOD! It is too big hassle to download/remove/copy all games because of that very limited space on overpriced memory cards. Even with 32 GB card I don’t have enough space to keep installed all of my PSX/PSP games… If I would add all Vita games that I recklessly bough for Vita even 64 GB wouldn’t be enough.

Release Atelier games! Even limited run! Or even open kickstarter campaign to fund the release of retail copies. Atelier games truly shine on Vita system… not PS3.

Just wanted to commendate Chin Soon Sun on his communication with the community! It really is uplifting to see someone so interested in what their audience is asking! Props to you, good sir/lass, and keep up the good job 😉

Man, thank you very much for your kind words. (Sorry I already left the office, now at home that’s why I’m using this account instead.)

No problem, good work should always be acknowledged 😉 Keep it up!

nulenvoid 15 January, 2015 @ 11:43 pm

I was about to write something similar, it’s nice to see someone trying to answer valid customer questions. Props to Chin Soon Sun, makes a refreshing change here.

I’m so glad all of these games are being released in Europe. Will pick this one up in the near future.

l-Star-ScreaM-I 15 January, 2015 @ 7:09 pm   40

Playstation should really focus on some Free 2 Play games to be released on PS4. It really makes me consider to step up and go for an Xbox this way. PLAYSTATION please wake up.
Alot of cool F2P games coming to Xbox One. And also already out now. You guys should really offer your customers some more hits of the PC games (F2P). Warface already out on Xbox (one of my fav shooters on PC)
Neverwinter one of the best f2p mmorpg is out on 5 februari (closed beta)
SMITE coming to Xbox One also in beta (My favorite MOBA i still play it on PC and would love to see it on my console but Playstation you guys are really lacky with these kind of things, i am sorry to say but it’s a fact)

Why in the world you like F2P? You like to pay for gaming? Like an arcade saloon? Because it’s almost the same you know? I prefer to pay for what I can get, a full game with no downloads and stuff like that.

It’s really great to see a company releasing their game in physical format, specially for PSVita who is cursed with digital games releases.
I will buy it for sure!
Thank you very much for this physical release, should this be a lesson to others like Namco!!!

Yep, day 1 physical purchase for me.

Day 1 physical purchase for me, and I’d like to see more handheld games in general being made available for full size consoles even if they’re just straight ports with a good price.

darkswabber 15 January, 2015 @ 9:47 pm   44

is there an Retail/physical version or is it download only, and if so is it going to be available in dutch stores? (I really want to pre-order it but I can’t find it anywhere)

Chin Soon Sun 16 January, 2015 @ 9:36 am

It’s gonna be for both retail and physical, you should be able to see them in a week or next since we announced here as the first world exclusive, they need time to set the page up. Let me know again if you have any problem finding them.

BadgerNips 15 January, 2015 @ 11:23 pm   45

Although I’m by no means entitled to cross buy, it does make a title far more enticing a purchase. This would be a perfect game to play primarily on my PSVita and occasionally enjoy in its full glory on my PS4, but I’d be torn between which version to buy when they contain the same content.

MaxiusRiderRMM 15 January, 2015 @ 11:29 pm   46

Hi since the games is cross play between the PS4 and VITA version does that mean they share the same trophy list or they have separate trophy list’s.

Gloom12356776543 16 January, 2015 @ 12:11 am   47

Cant wait to play it! 🙂 but please! Separate trophy list B-)

Igoreshkinn 16 January, 2015 @ 9:23 am   48

Will it support local co-op/split screen? I love to play on PS4 with my girlfriend and my younger brother.

LihaLahti 16 January, 2015 @ 9:57 am   49

Day 1

Finka_Karfein 16 January, 2015 @ 2:05 pm   50

Well, I need to skip sth to save myself from bankrupting. But it’s definitely on my wishlist!

Load all