Which games were the most downloaded on PlayStation Store in 2014?

Take a look at the year-end digital sales charts for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita

As regular readers will no doubt be aware, every month we bring you the PlayStation Store sales charts. Today, for the first time, we’re publishing the charts for the whole year. The below lists show which titles sold the most units during 2014. PS Plus downloads are not included.

A few extra titbits for you: the PS3 version of Minecraft was the biggest selling SKU across all platforms, whereas the PS4 version of Grand Theft Auto V made the most revenue. Red Barrels‘ PS4 survival horror Outlast was the biggest selling independent title, and the original Crash Bandicoot outsold everything on the PS3 chart, with the exception of Minecraft (though it wouldn’t have made the top 10 on PS4).

Without further ado:

9. Spyro The Dragon Trilogy
  10. Metal Gear Solid
Did you enjoy this?

60 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first
XDerKleineX 16 January, 2015 @ 3:05 pm   1

How the hell is Assassin’s Creed Liberation number 2 on the Vita list?

I believe because it is the 2nd most downloaded game for the Vita.

Because the Assassin’s Creed brand is huge and it’s a decent game and if I’m not mistaken it’s also pretty often in sale and highlighted in the PS Store.

bradleyEIRE 16 January, 2015 @ 4:24 pm

Assassins Creed may not reach the heights it once did, but people have to stop assume every game in the series is awful. Liberation was a surprisingly solid game with huge world that captures the joy of the series, all on a handheld console. People need to try it before dismissing it.

Daisuki_Tsukasa 18 January, 2015 @ 11:39 am

Probably because some of the Vita memory cards include it as a download XD

iARDAs…. 10/10 would read again.

momo_douh 28 January, 2015 @ 12:20 pm

I seriously don’t know how
    There are more cool titles deserving to be on the top

madmanwithabox12 16 January, 2015 @ 3:06 pm   2

Surprised Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc isn’t there, considering it was one of the best Vita games in 2014 and was pretty cheap most of the time.

Jhonny1990 16 January, 2015 @ 3:16 pm   3

Guess what, we could all download a lot of other games this january if you, sony, would just give us the 10% discount you promised! There’s really no point in make us waiting so long, I’m sure a lot of people like me are just holding off from buying many games that are currently on sale but if you really think of giving us the discount AFTER the january sale ends, I’ll buy nothing because this isn’t the way you should treat your customers, after the many problems the psn has suffered (not only recently). I mean, even the lack of official updates is absolutely deplorable and no, telling us that ‘you will let us know the moment you receive news’ isn’t enough, I’m sorry.

Amen brother.

Fred Dutton 16 January, 2015 @ 3:58 pm

We’re currently ironing out the final details and will have an update for you as soon as possible. Sorry to keep you waiting.

KaneTheGoth 16 January, 2015 @ 7:15 pm

Fred, that sounds like rubbish to me. I’m sure Sony’s team of lawyers would have already signed off on what the details of the 10% discount were.. days before it was published to us.

Not a dig at you, I’m sure you’re as keen for the discount as we are. I also appreciate you have to relay the information that’s given to you.

Thanks for the update, regardless 🙂

RockLobster2074 16 January, 2015 @ 3:18 pm   4

I can’t believe that Transistor isn’t in the top 20 on PS4. I hope it at least made the top 30. It was the best game of the year by a long way in my opinion and I can’t believe so few people downloaded it.

Just a question out of curiosity:

Why does PlayStation social media seems to ignore DRIVECLUB? (I don’t have the game; don’t have a PS4, but it looks like an amazing game and it looks like a very tight & fun arcade racer)

There have been many great updates over the past few weeks and months, including the most advanced weather simulation in a video game that mankind has ever witnessed up to now.

And PlayStation PR and social media doesn’t mention it. Is it because they will be bombarbed with “Where is PS+ Edition?!” ?

WearingFin 16 January, 2015 @ 3:34 pm

Exactly that. People are being deprived of something for nothing, and those people end up being very vocal. Open the floodgates is a good expression for what would happen. Good game though.

Fred Dutton 16 January, 2015 @ 4:03 pm

Getting the PS Plus Edition out there to all those who’ve not played the game yet as soon as possible is certainly a key priority. You’ll be hearing much more about Evo’s (fantastic) game here on PS Blog and on the official DRIVECLUB Facebook & Twitter feeds over the coming months.

TrueMurton 16 January, 2015 @ 7:40 pm

Months? Sorry Fred, its been months already. Just announce the PS+ version has been cancelled and give us another game instead. Quit stringing people along for what is essentially a demo pretending to be a PS+ game.

Surprised that there’s no Freedom Wars, Murasaki Baby, Danganronpa, FIFA 15 on the PS Vita list.

DieFliedermouse 16 January, 2015 @ 3:43 pm

With FIFA 15 I imagine people are very aware they’d be paying full whack for nothing more than a roster update and new kit textures. It just goes to show people aren’t as dumb as EA hope they are.

Except FIFA 15 is on the PS4 and PS3 lists. And in not too shabby a spot either.

Serpantino 18 January, 2015 @ 12:21 pm

I’m hoping that in the case of freedom wars & danganronpa it means that most people opted to get the physical release not the digital.

FIFA on the PSVITA is a legacy version. Means it’s the same game with zero technical evolution, just updated rosters and kits.
    On the PS3/PS4 it’s a different game, so Finkhald, your comparision makes no sense.

I’m ashamed to say I bought trials fusion.
I don’t think that game has good level design 🙁

MaxDiehard 16 January, 2015 @ 3:47 pm

Well it has a level editor. See if you can do better.

What the actual f***? The physics based gameplay and the more than fitting level design for this core element is what defines the trials series. What can possibly be wrong with the level design? It’s not a racer but rather a time and tries based platformer made up of obstacle courses and it’s not the game’s fault if you thought otherwise. Trials is pure distilled skill based gameplay and I’m very glad it’s up there in the list.

Tuulenpoika 16 January, 2015 @ 3:43 pm   8

A little off-topic, but Vita TV still hasn’t got the treatment it deserves.

– So many non-touchscreen Vita games not compatible
– So many PS1 and PSP games not compatible that should not have any kind of problems with functionality whatsoever, like how can this even be possible
– Publishers/developers telling the problem with compatibility rests on Sony, Sony telling the opposite
– No YouTube application support
– The PSN Store shows only a handful of titles, some of which aren’t even compatible with the device and others (compatible ones) needing to be searched manually.
– Some of the text of transferred content in Scandinavian letters transform to Chinese/Japanese letters when transferred to the actual console.

Are you at least in progress in improving Vita TV’s situation? When can we expect an improvement regarding these matters?

I wouldn’t get my hopes up for it.

Personally, I don’t get why people would want a PS TV either when the PS Vita is so much better and when the PS TV is chained to a TV and not free, portable and versatile.

Shadiochao 16 January, 2015 @ 4:15 pm

Multiple accounts. Don’t forget multiple accounts.

BoBgriffin 18 January, 2015 @ 2:49 pm

I completely agree, the lack of any information regarding PSTV has been ridiculous. It’s as if Sony have completely forgotten about it. It’s so hard to find info on what games are going to work on it – the compatibility list is out of date, is any work being done to patch more titles, where are the media apps we all want? The most disappointing thing is Sony are still releasing vita games that won’t run on it – Duke Nukem doesn’t even work?!!! I really am left wondering why I brought the thing In the first place. Come on Sony, the least your customers deserve is a bit of info.

got a psvita and a pstv and i prefer to play certain games on the big screen killzone edf 2017 as the controller is more natural to hold and responds better

dark_angel69 16 January, 2015 @ 3:55 pm   9

It’s so funny to see Minecraft number 1 on all three platforms. That’s some popular game and I haven’t even sunk into mine yet

Shadiochao 16 January, 2015 @ 4:14 pm   10

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas not having a link to the store sticks out quite a bit. I wonder if we’ll ever get any news on what’s happening with that.

It’s been two or three months since Xbox and Steam got their shiny new versions of San Andreas, while over here we don’t even have the original anymore 🙁

On topic: I’m flabbergasted that people are paying £50-55 for digital copies of games that can easily be found for £30-40 in stores on release.

European_Gamer 16 January, 2015 @ 4:44 pm   11

Too much Minecraft money are ending up in Microsoft pockets.

Can’t help but feel that I helped with many entries in this list. Mainly Vita and PSone.

Could you please share anything with us about Journey on PS4? When can we expect it?

bromfield 16 January, 2015 @ 5:33 pm   14

Still can’t download the full version of Minecraft onto my Vita, even though I own the physical retail disc for PS3.

jon_h_blake 16 January, 2015 @ 6:07 pm   15

I would like that Sony gives us numbers.I’m so interested.Can you give us sales numbers?

It makes me smile to see that on PS4 The Last of Us Remastered sold better than Destiny. (At least digitally.)

“There is still good in this world, Mr Frodo…!”

All we need now are cheaper vita memory cards and the numbers will be higher again (preaching to the wind)

TrueMurton 16 January, 2015 @ 7:47 pm   18

Truly sad to GTA5 in a podium place. With that 60% price hike being so widely accepted by the EU community SCEE will never review its price policy, it will simply continue to let obscene prices be attached to games and even remasters so the extra profits can fund deeper price cuts in the US.

Shame there’s not some official document, an FAQ or something that explains why these differences exist, I heard tell of such a document being created last summer but it was never published. What happened to that?

What is Trials Fusion doing on 2nd place for the PS4? I bet it was because they released it for free without mentioning that it was a demo, which you only find out once you start playing it. Don’t like these tactics. Game is nothing to write home about also.

Really glad New’n’Tasty made the list, one of my favorite games of 2014. I hope the upcoming PS3 version will be even more successful this year.

SAO:HF didn’t do quite as well as in North America (where it was #1 for Vita downloads in 2014), but I’m still hopeful that the results might be good enough to encourage Bandai Namco to bring Lost Song over in 2015.

(Some of the other Japanese Vita titles due over there this year, such as Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, might be welcome too.)

xiuyinghong 16 January, 2015 @ 11:20 pm   22

I find it bizarre that you have bothered to list the PS1/PS2 Classics chart when for about 6 months it’s NOT ACTUALLY BEEN POSSIBLE TO BROWSE THAT CATEGORY ON THE STORE!!

I know this is to push the godawful PS Now service but can’t you just bring that back? I don’t want to have to go to Wikipedia to see which games are for sale and then type them into the search box. The EU Store really is a complete and utter mess.

Nice to see Ni No Kuni in the PS3 chart, that game is fantastic. One of the best I played in 2013 and early last year!

Minecraft I’m not surprised is No.1, that game is a massive time sink and endlessly addictive.

burntbreadman 17 January, 2015 @ 8:56 pm   24

It’s disgusting to see how mojang treat their customers especially as Minecraft is the number one selling title on all three formats.

Originally I brought the game one the xbox, but thought a portable version would suit me better.
I saw a post on this site saying that people who buy the retail version for the ps3 get a vita download. (Being a physical over digital type and having the vita game on the memory card for random short bursts of play, I thought fantastic)
Come the release of the vita version my cross buy for the vita version didn’t activate.
So I called the psn customer service to sort it out (as have many)

Initially was told the cross buy was an error I was then told I was entitled to it.
After a month of waiting and receiving nothing I called again, to be told the complaint had been passed on to the relevant department.
3 or so weeks later I get an email saying that the team are aware of the issue and will sort it out.
Time passes, I make further calls each time on hold for 30 plus mins only to be told different things. Oh I’ll get someone who can sort it out to call you back later today. Then no I was misled they don’t do call backs.

It’s now over 3 months since I , like many others should have received their cross buy download.
To see thaw mojang at the number one slots disgust me…….surely wig all the money they have made they should give people what they promised (especially people who went out to buy it based on the promise alone)

Whoever’s fault it is (mojang or psn) to make the promise but still no news after 3 months…………

People reply to this post to let them know how many others have the same issue and are still waiting.

bonzobanana_2 17 January, 2015 @ 10:06 pm   25

The waiting for the 10% code is getting really annoying now. I want to buy Crysis, Doom, Enemy Front and 3D Rift all on offer until the 21st Jan but I don’t know whether the 10% code will be in time or those offers will be extended to allow use of the 10% code. As a good will gesture it seems strange to delay it and cause frustration to people the exact opposite of its purpose.

I’m used to Sony useless customer service though. I had a ps3 bricked by one of their faulty firmware updates and have been made to wait huge lengths of time on their stupid paywall phone line at great cost. What’s the problem, issue a code, one use per account and limited to perhaps the end of the month. How can this not be easy to implement.

Sony are a strange company at times and certainly have massive issues when it comes to customer relations.

TrueMurton 19 January, 2015 @ 8:49 am

Exaggeration is one thing, but posting something blatantly false doesn’t help your argument.

1: if the firmware was at fault, literally everyone downloading that firmware would be bricked. It was a coincidence.
    2: your posters flag clearly shows you’re in the UK. The PlayStation UK number is, and always has been a local rate number.

Other than that you make a valid point on the 10% code situation. The sole reason Sony is making this gesture is that they utterly failed to communicate during the Christmas outage. They announced the discount without any detailing of when it would go live and have been stalling since waiting for the discounts to end. Not exactly a great start to the new year.

Hopefully 2015 will be the year that SCEE starts to turn things around. Proper communication, less downtime during our peak hours and UK bank holidays and most importantly, store availability and pricing. I’d like to see a marked decline in unexplained delays and absences on the store this year and all first party games observe the actual exchange rate from the US. It won’t happen, but I can hope

Alphaembryo 18 January, 2015 @ 7:47 am   26

I logged in just to mention that the five extra ps+ days we were promised, have been added to our accounts.

transpondster 18 January, 2015 @ 11:55 am   27

“and the original Crash Bandicoot outsold everything on the PS3 chart, with the exception of Minecraft” How about to #BringBackBandicoot ?! 🙂

No love for Tales of Hearts :'(

HotScorcher 19 January, 2015 @ 6:19 pm   29

Wow, Crash Bandicoot is still topping the classics charts! Time to #BringBackBandicoot from Activision’s trash!

bonzobanana_2 19 January, 2015 @ 7:06 pm   30

Don’t form opinions without at least asking for further details.

Firmware 3.66 had a known issue. If by chance your hdd died while this was the firmware loaded on your ps3 you could not restore the ps3 with a new hdd as there was a fault on the firmware. My hdd died at that very time. Result ps3 bricked by Sony.

Sony’s phone number is not a local number, its charged at 5p a minute. Not only that but such is the slow reply to answering calls I have had to call on numerous occasions only to be cut off at the end of business. Even taking a fully charged handset down to no charge. Result being charged many pounds for calls where I would not normally be charged anything. I wasted about 30-45 minutes on 3 occasions for the one time I got through. Result about £9 spent only to get someone clearly not clued up about what they are talking about with an attitude that was atrocious.

Please do not make assumptions when you simply don’t have the information to form a correct opinion.

Singstar didn’t make it in TOP20? So it means it’s not popular as SCEE trying to convince us and it’s not needed to be forced in XMB anymore? I’m looking forward to detele option for this disgrace in my XMB!!!

Glad to see FM2014 on vita didn’t make the list- SI games have treated the people who bought that broken game with disregard.

Disappointed to see so many AAA titles with the extortionate prices that are being charged for them. I’d much rather savey money and buy they games £20 less than retail not more.

killercake 20 January, 2015 @ 2:25 am   33

Most of the games listed don’t interest me, said it before that 2014 was the worst year for games in quite a while. Just quickly looking at the PS4 list i see at least 15 of those 20 games you can play just as well on the PS3.

I predict that by the end of 2015 PS4 owners will still be wondering if they will ever be able to play anything decent on that system….and please don’t mention it has Destiny for f@cksake, lol.

Recently looked at the livestream gameplay of Evolve which is supposed to be a PS4 highlight of the year, far from impressed, if anything it managed to bore me within minutes. Another game called No Mans Sky? Well if you believe the hype then more fool you.

Okay i did go off on a tangent from this forums subject matter, all i can say is that next years list probably won’t differ much from this year because it looks to be another dull year ahead.

ShockwaveHitashi 20 January, 2015 @ 7:58 am   34

anyone else find it ironic that ff8 placed 8th place on the ps1/2 classic list?

Is there a place where one can come up with suggestions? Me and my wife was a big fan of Move on PS3. I see that the move controllers is supposed to work on PS4, and we would love to see more move game beeing released on PS4. We loved “Start the Party” and “TV Superstars” So a port og remake of those would absolutley be welcomed 🙂 Another thing, we used PS3 as our blu-ray player (until the fan made higher noise than our soundsystem), and we used the original/official blu-ray remote. I would love to see that working with ps3 as well.

YottMan272 20 January, 2015 @ 8:00 pm   36

I own a lot of those PS4 games, but I got hard copies of them. Does that make me a bad person?