Posted

New video shows PS Vita exclusive Flame Over in action

Check out Laughing Jackal’s fiercely addictive portable roguelike

Hey everyone, I’m Al from Laughing Jackal, producer and designer of our latest title, Flame Over out very soon on PS Vita!

In this first ever ‘Let’s Play’ video I’ll demonstrate all the basic gameplay elements of Flame Over: the controls, how to find and extinguish every fire in a level, how rescuing people and cats is both awesome and beneficial, explaining a little about side missions and how to permanently upgrade your fireman, Blaze Carruthers, between game sessions.

screenshot-06screenshot-07

Although it’s a fast-paced action game, Flame Over is firmly built upon roguelike principles. You’ll certainly be dying a lot to begin with, but fear not! You’ll learn from every death and – by completing missions to earn upgrade tokens – you can permanently upgrade your abilities as you go! Who said learning isn’t fun? πŸ˜‰

To add some well-charred meat to the experience, Blaze’s equipment and power-ups have some interesting properties that let you experiment in your approach to any given situation.

screenshot-08screenshot-01screenshot-02

For instance:

• Do you risk a run through the fiercely burning rooms ahead to cut the power and disable those pesky electrical fires?
  • Do you make a dash into the next room to rescue a cat and regain some health, even though you’re low on water and down to your last heart?
  • Do you equip your reinforced boots OR your gas mask to make it through a corridor filled with chemical spills and gas leaks?
  • Do you use your last water bomb to try and put out a fire instead of going back to refill at that hot tub you saw?

Those are just some of the split-second decisions you might face when playing Flame Over and those decision NEED to be split-second! The game only gives you a starting time of 5 minutes; after that you’ll need to earn time for yourself. Each person rescued provides 1 extra minute, while completing missions also throws a precious single minute your way. You can also buy or find time pickups during gameplay, but even so you’ll need to hurry!

screenshot-03

If time runs out things become even more deadly as the Grim Reaper appears and chases Blaze around, moving through walls and doors and totally unaffected by the inferno. One touch from Grim means instant death! :S You should also be warned that an even tougher foe awaits those fire fighters who are less than honourable…

So, when can you play Flame Over and see for yourself why fire fighting is some of the most fun you can have on your Vita? Well, we’re currently well into the submission process and it’s my hope we’ll be able to release the game in February 2015. More news on that as and when we get it!

screenshot-04screenshot-05

With that in mind, you can keep up with all Flame Over developments via our website. You can also follow us on Twitter and on Facebook. You may also want to follow my own personal Twitter feed for an insider view of the goings on at Laughing Jackal.

Right, that’s about it! I hope you enjoy the video! I can’t wait to share more Flame Over info with you, and hope to be competing with you all on the Best Time and Best Score leaderboards very soon. ^_^

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

64 Comments 27 Author replies
Show oldest first

YottMan272 21 January, 2015 @ 4:01 pm   1

Looks good. Now if only I had a Vita…

Can;t wait for this really looking forward to it!
Thanks for the update.

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 4:04 pm

No worries. Glad to hear your ‘fired up’. Sorry, couldn’t resist…

Been waiting for this since its annoucment, love these games on the go or when i just wants something to pick up a play

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 4:24 pm

Good to hear your excited for the game! Should be out in the next few weeks hopefully. πŸ˜‰

jon_h_blake 21 January, 2015 @ 4:06 pm   4

Can’t wait for this game,It looks so cool!

gerneric123 21 January, 2015 @ 4:09 pm   5

Uh, didn’t you guys already confirm this was getting a PS4 and PC release too?

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 4:35 pm

PS4 will be coming within the next couple of months we hope… It’s built in Unity and all our textures are super hi-res, which makes life a lot easier! ^_^

Flying_Pig 21 January, 2015 @ 4:10 pm   6

This game looks hot!

Steve_Of_The_O 21 January, 2015 @ 4:10 pm   7

Looks flaming good! Having flashbacks of Human Softwares “The Firemen” from the SNES days. Will definitely pick this up!

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 4:26 pm

The Firemen was definitely an inspiration in the design and play style, but with fire that’s less like people hiding inside some kinda fire costume!

dark_angel69 21 January, 2015 @ 4:12 pm   8

This game looks amazing! My Vita is going to be on fire!

smokin’
Well done on your game it looks great.
Love the Joe Danger style look to it.
The concept of cancelling out elements with other elements is an interesting one.

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 4:38 pm

Thanks! We didn’t go out to look like Joe Danger, but I’ll take a comparison to Hello Games any day! πŸ˜‰

jacky-junior 21 January, 2015 @ 4:17 pm   10

Gameplay looks amazing! I’ve been hyped about this since first hearing about it, definitely a day 1 pickup for me. Will it be compatible with the Playstation TV?

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 4:36 pm

We’ve had to jump through some Vita TV hoops so it should be! Also the controls are all buttons and sticks, so we’ve got you covered from that perspective. πŸ˜‰

Alex-1124 21 January, 2015 @ 4:41 pm   11

It looks fantastically charming, you guys have done a brilliant job. I just hope fellow Vita owners support this wonderful game.

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 4:47 pm

Me too! They’ll have the chance to support it via PS4 as well, but it is nice playing on a portable system πŸ˜€

PMurphy1978 21 January, 2015 @ 4:41 pm   12

Been desperate for this since I played the build at EGX. Can’t wait to get my hands on it. πŸ™‚

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 4:48 pm

I probably met you if you played at EGX. Recognise your name I *think* πŸ˜‰

It’s been improved a lot since then!

supersmith2500 21 January, 2015 @ 4:42 pm   13

Interesting game, just hope there’s no lag or lengthy load times. : )

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 4:49 pm

It only loads between levels and the frame rate (while there are some variations in extra-large totally on fire rooms) is damn smooth. The dynamic fire and all those particles does mean the vita is made to work hard, but we’ve managed it! πŸ™‚

MaxDiehard 21 January, 2015 @ 5:17 pm   14

I’ll totally be getting this on Vita, but i’m curious. Is it going to be Cross-Buy with the PS4 version?

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 5:23 pm

Unfortunately not. But rest assured the price will be reasonable! πŸ™‚

zalwelgoedgaan 21 January, 2015 @ 5:17 pm   15

I haven’t had much luck with Roguelike games so far, but I’m willing to try this if the price is right.

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 5:25 pm

I am a MASSIVE roguelike fan myself – both traditional and more action-oriented.

Flame Over is for sure an action oriented game first and foremost. The roguelike elements extend to the random generation of level layouts, the permadeath, etc. Hope that helps! πŸ™‚

zalwelgoedgaan 21 January, 2015 @ 5:43 pm

I lost interest in Rogue Legacy after 15 minutes and I thought Don’t Starve was more tedious than a 100 hour marathon of church television, but I have hopes for this one.

Looks really good! I will buy it I think. When you poet it too PS4, do you consider cross-buy? And do you have a price for us?^^

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 5:24 pm

No *firm* details on the price yet, but we don’t usually overprice our games (at least IMHO!)

The game is coming on PS4 after porting is done. No cross buy plans at present, but never say never I guess. we’d have to look into it. πŸ™‚

TrueMurton 21 January, 2015 @ 6:52 pm

Is that a sly dig at the developers who do overprice their games? Because that’s what we really need, developers and publishers, and definitely SCEE have shown less than zero interest in listening to gamers about pricing issues, maybe they’ll listen others in the dev community if you start showing them a better way…

Thanks for the reply! Nah, I just thought you know a price frame^^ It wasn’t a overprice thing in my mind πŸ˜‰

Cross-buy would be really nice and I would pay a bit more, if you can handle it. To buy a game twice feels a bit strange for the customers. I hope you change your mind and give us an update. I would like to play it on PS4, so cross-buy would be a reason for me to buy your game .

Anyway great game!

laughing_potato 21 January, 2015 @ 5:33 pm   17

Played this at EGX, even got the T Shirt (massive thanks). That was some 4 months ago now, it played great then and has loads of potential. Day one purchase for me, had my eye on this since the original blog post. My first blog comment ever, shows how interested I am in this one. Super nice dev, good luck with launch guys!

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 5:41 pm

Aw thanks, glad to get you active on the blog! The game has come on heaps since EGX (especially in terms of performance) so you should be even happier with it. πŸ™‚

Sorry about the massive-ness of the T Shirt! ^_^

Wingedwraith 21 January, 2015 @ 5:49 pm   18

Nice vid Al, game is looking as good as I knew it would be. I can always spot a good one. All the best and good luck with the launch!

dirtyCAT79 21 January, 2015 @ 5:52 pm   19

I can’t wait for this. That was such a good game demo also. Really felt like I understand the mechanics. I can tell I’m gonna love this. Looking forward to launch.

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 6:44 pm

Thanks, i tried to cover as much as possible, but didn’t script it as I didn’t feel it would be true to the ‘Let’s Play’ spirit. It was done off the cuff, just trying to think of everything! ^^

Looks awesome!

This is great.
Tell me there is a secret level where I can run around and torch everyone instead.
Don’t judge me!! πŸ˜€

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 6:45 pm

Hey, thanks. πŸ™‚ Unfortunately you can’t torch everyone, but you can leave them to burn I guess…

Might make it a bit hard (no time!)

Holy heck…just realised something. You guys always answer the most questions or are just interacting with us.
No wonder I love Ghostlight/Laughing Jackal πŸ™‚

Keep up the great work!

Witcher70 21 January, 2015 @ 6:57 pm   23

Ahhhh! the magic words PS4 version !!! πŸ˜€ I hope the vita version does really well in sales but i am going to hang on a couple of months to get your game on my beloved PS4 πŸ˜›

Witcher70 22 January, 2015 @ 6:39 pm

@Alasdair Evens

Oh yes please !! you can’t beat a good Let’s Play video πŸ™‚

Alasdair Evans 21 January, 2015 @ 7:04 pm   24

Seems like people on twitter and elsewhere are enjoying the fact we did our preview as a Let’s Play video. Is that something you guys would like to see more of in future and on other projects?

zalwelgoedgaan 21 January, 2015 @ 7:35 pm

What’s your other project? Shenmue 3? We’d love to see a Let’s Play of that.

Yes. This was great.
    Just some input. Don’t be afraid to dance around in Hula skirts. Hela skirts makes everything better.

assassin2k 21 January, 2015 @ 8:52 pm   25

Glad there isn’t long to wait. This looks ace! I was one of the eleven people that liked Roscoe McQueen so am looking forward to this (not comparing this to Roscoe….aside from the fire fighting that game was trash and this looks fantastic).

Skullfaced 21 January, 2015 @ 8:59 pm   26

I’ve said it before but I really like the looks of this game but one thing that I haven’t noticed until now is how great the music is!

So congrats, now I can’t see any reason at all not to get this when it’s released. πŸ™‚

*insert clever flame related pun here*
looking forward to playing this.
ps – you guys are making sony look bad; you’re not supposed to actually respond and interact with us.

YottMan272 21 January, 2015 @ 11:18 pm   28

Have to appreciate you guys responding to all our comments. Makes a gamer feel appreciated.

mellan_Konsten 22 January, 2015 @ 1:58 am   29

known I have known about this game for a long time (someone only said the name and genre on a forum) and I love that I’ll I’ll be getting my hands on it soon.

Day 1 for me!

I’m pretty spent on roguelikes and twin stick shooters, but this looks just like a cracking good time. Gonna pick this up as soon as it launches πŸ˜€ Was just wondering what happens when the time hits 0.. the game goes berserk with the fire or game over?

Alasdair Evans 22 January, 2015 @ 7:23 am

Afraid not – the grim reaper appears and chases you down. Plus he can walk through walls and is fire-proof. But you can get rid of him or dodge him… πŸ˜‰

Sounds awesome, a chance to cheat death. Can’t wait to pick this one up :D:D
    cheers!

European_Gamer 22 January, 2015 @ 6:50 am   31

Good timing. The game is getting a lot of attention because this blog post was uploaded after the Elder Scrolls and The Order announcements.

TrueMurton 22 January, 2015 @ 10:11 am   32

Think I asked about this before but don’t remember if it was answered, but have you guys scored licences for any of the other Fighting Fantasy stuff? Would really love to see some of the others done similar to “Foretop Mountain” especially the Sorcery series.

Alasdair Evans 22 January, 2015 @ 10:30 am

Sadly not. We enjoyed working on those… I can recommend the iOS versions of Sorcery in particular, though. πŸ™‚

TrueMurton 22 January, 2015 @ 11:47 am

Shame, would have been great to see some of the other early books given the Vita treatment. Especially Starship Traveller.

I know I say this literally every time you visit the blog, but great cjob on communication here, there’s more replies in this one post than all the other stuff from this week combined. If only other developers (or the SCEE blog team) took community engagement as ql serially as you guys at Laughing Jackal do.

Nazar_Ops 22 January, 2015 @ 11:07 am   33

Headline: “PSVita exclusive Flame Over” a while later the developer replies to a post saying that the game is coming to PS4 too. Not a PSVita exclusive at all…

Alasdair Evans 22 January, 2015 @ 11:26 am   34

Flame Over will be out first on vita for a good while why we work on the PS4 version. πŸ™‚

madmanwithabox12 22 January, 2015 @ 7:21 pm

Personally, I’m glad. The amount of games that treat Vita as an afterthought (if supporting it at all) is too high, it’s nice to get something first on Vita for a change.

brianmini 22 January, 2015 @ 12:29 pm   35

PS Vita TV compatible? And what’s the age classification?

Alasdair Evans 22 January, 2015 @ 12:37 pm   36

The game’s totally compliant with Vita TV, so that should be all good. Age rating is 7+ for PEGI, 6 for USK. πŸ™‚

loadstone007 22 January, 2015 @ 12:54 pm   37

Looks nice, but probably most suitable for a younger audience. Hope your next project will be more for veteran gamers (30+).

Alasdair Evans 22 January, 2015 @ 1:16 pm   38

Hey, I’m 37 and I like it! ^^

It’s a tough game that takes no prisoners, rest assured!

Cant wait for this, looks like a lot of fun.
Can i ask what trophies you have in mind. A platinum trophy would be great but not essential ill be picking this up day one regardless.

Alasdair Evans 22 January, 2015 @ 4:55 pm

Sorry for not replying sooner – crazy busy today! ^^

The game has 20 bronze trophies, 10 silver trophies, 5 gold trophies and a platinum. Yummy!

Thats no problem, im blown away with your responses to the posts in this thread, nice to see you guys care so much.
    That is great news about the trophies and the price you estimated below is good to hear too, im sure its worth every penny, cheers!

matze1393 22 January, 2015 @ 3:11 pm   40

Looks great. How much will it cost?

Thanks for putting content on the vita.
The game looks good and ill be sure to pick it up.

Just wondering on price , since there is no cross buy (not sure why)
Will pricing be equal across all stores , Will it cost :Β£9.49/€11.99/$17.95 or will you screw everybody
and make it :Β£9.49/€11.99/$11.99 . those crazy sony exchange rates again !

Alasdair Evans 22 January, 2015 @ 4:57 pm

Hmm. Not sure how much influence we have on that but we’ll certainly try to keep prices competitive with one another. πŸ™‚ Hope that’s a good enough answer. πŸ™‚

TrueMurton 23 January, 2015 @ 12:00 am

Publishers set prices on the PSN, as an indie developer you are the publisher, therefore you set the price, what more influence do you need?

I really don’t get why nobody is willing to open on the price issue here in Europe. We have the blog team telling us publishers set prices, but indie devs then claiming that they don’t? Alasdair, you’ve always struck me as an honest guy, I’ve never been able to get a straight answer from the blof team, maybe you could do what Fred Dutton promised to then didn’t and explain how it works?

I hope you really think about cross-buy and cross-save even if you set the price a bit higher^^ to playing it on PS4 at home and on Vita at work (don’t let it read my boss) would be great!

One request guys if its not crossbuy then please don’t use a shared trophy list.

Whenever I see a shared trophy list on a non crossbuy title it just annoys me as if I have to pay twice then I should be able to earn twice (still a trophy hunter at heart)

BirdieYumYum 23 January, 2015 @ 2:34 am   45

I’d be interested if it wasn’t a rogue like, I’m done with rogue likes

Alasdair Evans 23 January, 2015 @ 10:20 am   46

Morning all! Sorry for no comments last night, internet problems at home. ^_^

@TrueMurton: There’s no big consipiracy. AFAIK if we pick $10 for a price point we can kinda adjust for exchange rates and try to match other regions prices. The only reason I’ve not said more is that pricing isn’t really my area, so I didn’t want to say something that was incorrect. πŸ™‚ Hope that eases your concerns. ^^

@DanteZX: Well the game is in submission right now so not sure how much we can change the cross-save, cross-buy thing. It’s certainly something we’ll consider but don’t want to promise anything if I can’t deliver for sure. πŸ™‚

@hayzink: The trophies will be the same between skus but AFAIK they don’t get shared if the skus are separate, which they currently are. πŸ™‚ Good news for you I guess!

@BirdieYumYum: Well it’s first and foremost an action game. The Roguelike elements are that levels are randomly generated each time by stitching together human-designed rooms and corridors. There’s no turn-based stuff, no random potions that might kill you, etc. It’s an action game with roguelike elements to the overarching design. Hope I can talk you round! ;D

BirdieYumYum 23 January, 2015 @ 2:39 pm

You know what, the fact that you have taken the time to read comments and address our concerns has convinced me enough to give it a try. Thanks

Alasdair Evans 23 January, 2015 @ 2:42 pm   47

Ha, no problem! Thanks for saying so. ^^ Have a great weekend.

Are there micro transactions in this game or a paywall upgrade system ?. Please be fair with the exchange rate compared to the US store.
Thanks Mr Evans.

Alasdair Evans 23 January, 2015 @ 2:59 pm

Flame Over features no IAPs, micro transactions, or anything of that nature. We will maintain the closest price possible between the various territories. πŸ™‚

Hope that answers your questions.

Alasdair Evans 23 January, 2015 @ 2:59 pm   49

Can’t believe how many comments there have been for our little game. Thanks so much for your contributions everyone. πŸ™‚

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. ^_^

TrueMurton 25 January, 2015 @ 1:20 am   50

I didn’t mean to imply any sort of conspiracy, you said “not sure how much influence we have” regarding pricing, this is contrary to my understanding of how pricing works on PSN and just wanted clarification.

I don’t know how much you read the blog but we get a lot of duplicitous characters posting here, such as Brian Provinciano insisting that it “wasn’t possible” to make RCR DX a free patch on PS platforms and that it was somehow a better deal that we pay Β£10 to patch our game to the newer version while other platforms get it free. Or Rushy from Evo Studios and literally every post he’s ever made about DriveClub.

Hopefully my concerns are unfounded and the pricing will be fair, the only way the 40-60% price difference will end is when some developer sets a fair price and makes a big deal about it making everyone else look bad by comparison.

Load all