Posted

PlayStation, meet Spotify

PlayStation Music, with Spotify as the exclusive partner, launches soon

Hello everyone! I’m thrilled today to introduce a new music destination called PlayStation Music, with Spotify as the exclusive partner. We’ve partnered with our friends at Spotify to bring its award-winning digital music service to PlayStation Network this spring in 41 markets around the world.

We know how important music is to our community of gamers, and this partnership combines the best in music with the best in gaming. PlayStation Network users will enjoy the convenience of linking your accounts to Spotify, making it easy to sign-up with your existing ID and subscribe to Spotify’s Premium service.

15763979424_45815c8ebf_o

You can also use Spotify while playing games on PS4, enabling you to soundtrack your gaming sessions with your favorite songs in the background. Want something heavy and rocking for an intense Destiny Raid? How about some old school hip hop while taking to the pitch in FIFA? With more than 30 million songs and 1.5 billion playlists, Spotify on PlayStation Music has it covered.

As we get closer to launch we look forward to telling you about some of the other great features that will be available exclusively through Spotify on PlayStation Music.

The new service will launch initially on PS4 and PS3, as well as Xperia smartphones and tablets. You’ll of course be able to listen to your favorite playlists – including existing playlists from current Spotify users as well as Spotify curated playlists – and enjoy the service on all of Spotify’s supported devices.

Prior to the launch of Spotify on PlayStation Music, the Music Unlimited service will close in all 19 countries on 29th March 2015. Nearly all of these countries will be among the 41 markets where PlayStation Music featuring Spotify will be available at launch, including the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy. From 28th February 2015, Music Unlimited users with active subscriptions will receive free access to Music Unlimited through 29th March 2015.

Stay tuned to the Blog for more details on PlayStation Music featuring Spotify, and in the meantime you can sign up for updates here.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

236 Comments 11 Author replies
Show oldest first

What about YouTube and Maps apps on Vita?

If you would really know how important music is to community you wouldn’t cut off support for YouTube.

Ahh right… spotify not for Vita…. instead Xperia smartphones…

Yes Vita owners love SONY as much as SONY loves Vita <- not at all

killah_fury 28 January, 2015 @ 3:45 pm

The Google maps app was terrible and Google don’t want to update it anymore. You can access YouTube from the browser and you’ll always have the ‘latest version’ of it. Don’t worry about it – it’s really not important, just use the websites instead. 🙂

@killah_furry
    Did you actually use that “browser”? If only it was working like it should… but no, in fact it works worse than browsers on windows mobile phones… and that’s actually hard.

Just use the browser, it works fine with youtube.
    And yes, it is a worse browser compared to what you find on WP8, but considering how the browser on WP8 is based on IE11, which has the markets best Javascript engine, it is pretty hard to be better than that browser, on a technical front.

your comment is completely out of place! this is about spotify and not the vita, if you have any complains about the google support for vita then write an email to sony and dont post it on the blog….

It says in the post that it will >initially< launch on ps3 ps4 etc. There's no mention Vita is abandoned. Don't get your panties in a twist.

Lortemord 29 January, 2015 @ 6:22 am

U kno there’s a youtube app on vita, right?

CaptainOatsOC 30 January, 2015 @ 8:20 pm

Archacus is right. Browser and App don’t compare at all.

Youtube APP on VITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INS1GHTFUL 28 January, 2015 @ 3:41 pm   2

i would love to have spotify on vita. its nice to have on ps4 but i don’t see me using it.

DragonSoul-E 28 January, 2015 @ 3:41 pm   3

This sounds fantastic! Can’t wait to hear more 😀

slaughterlord88 28 January, 2015 @ 3:41 pm   4

Thank You!!! About time. Much needed as a Spotify premium subscriber. Eat that MS

Sweet!

I would love to see Spotify link in dynamically with games. For example, it could be radio station on GTA V or play as a soundtrack when starting a racing on Driveclub. Is this a feature that you are looking at implementing?

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 28 January, 2015 @ 3:57 pm

Hi, as with Friday Night Gamers playlist on Music Unlimited we will look to create the perfect playlists to enjoy with your favourite games and movies. Stay tuned!

RyanSufc1997 28 January, 2015 @ 4:31 pm

I’d like it to mute when I exit a vehicle, and make it have the nice effects it has like going through a tunnel or looking around with the camera. Probably wont happen but it would be cool 🙂

Prem-aka-Prince 28 January, 2015 @ 7:11 pm

RyanSufc1997- Wipeout HD on PS3 (2008) did that with music from the hard drive… they don’t make ’em like they used to, eh?

SuperSaiyan4 29 January, 2015 @ 9:48 am

Basically that’s a no, it would be difficult to implement without developers allowing support for it I imagine as you would have to over ride the ingame music to allow external music to take over the ingame audio.

SuperSaiyan4 29 January, 2015 @ 9:49 am

Would be interesting to know the price per month for this service however hopefully there is a free version too. The Music Unlimited service is very expensive imo especially since it is extremely unreliable and crashes often.

jamie-sixtyfour 28 January, 2015 @ 3:43 pm   7

This is amazing news. I love listening to Spotify and being able to use that in my games may mean I actually change the background music.

Great work. Looking forward to using it.

renaultmilton 28 January, 2015 @ 3:44 pm   8

Will the Music accounts like “Angry Birds” be there?

Incredible how this makes me more happy than a game announcement! Until you announce that it won’t be available in Portugal, that is :p
(I really hope I’m wrong!)

HAILtoSTARSCREAM 28 January, 2015 @ 3:47 pm   10

Is Austria among those 41 markets? Please say yes!

madmanwithabox12 28 January, 2015 @ 3:50 pm   11

Not surprising that Sony neglects Vita once again. Still disappointing though. Why does nothing like this ever even consider Vita?

The post states it will >initially< launch on ps3 ps4 etc. It does not mention the Vita version will not be available at a later date.

stcybergoth 28 January, 2015 @ 3:50 pm   12

Spotify will be available in Portugal?

crusher915 28 January, 2015 @ 3:51 pm   13

So you are essentially just switching partners from Music unlimited which was licensed and powered by Omnifone? but what exactly is the difference between this service and regular Spotify?

It’s a bit sad not seeing it coming to the one device it could really shine – PS Vita. Although I have to give props to Sony for bringing it at least to their major platforms (PS3/PS4) as opposed to building a proprietary (closed) platform like Music Unlimited. I’m all for integrating the most popular media services instead of developing their own solutions/ecosystems. Thumb up! 😉

AoSora00005 28 January, 2015 @ 3:51 pm   15

How about Google music support as well?

jerlaak97 28 January, 2015 @ 9:53 pm

This kind of worries me about the post. The part that says “with Spotify as the exclusive partner”

What does the “exclusive partner” part mean? Does it mean that Spotify will be the only music app on PS4? So basically locking out all the other potential options like Google Music and Tunein from the console. Because that would be a huge disappointment.

Off topic (kind of) but PS4 is still lacking apps that were promised a long time ago

No YouTube, Maps, or Spotify on Vita. That’s just sad.

Lortemord 29 January, 2015 @ 6:30 am

U already have youtube. At least I have

gerneric123 29 January, 2015 @ 8:19 pm

@Lortemord I guess you haven’t heard, come April the Youtube Vita app will no longer work. Sony is too cheap to pay to issue an update that makes it compatible with the new Youtube API.

bigsolofish 28 January, 2015 @ 3:53 pm   17

“Want something heavy and rocking for an intense Destiny Raid? ” Yes! But as you can’t turn Destiny’s in game music down or off you end up with your music and the ingame music playing at the same time…

Smeghead2k8 28 January, 2015 @ 3:54 pm   18

Do you need Spotify Premium for service?

infoxicated 28 January, 2015 @ 3:54 pm   19

This is ridiculous – Music Unlimited is an essential app on my Vita. I can deal with YouTube being taken away, but considering I listen to Music Unlimited offline playlists whenever I play on the Vita this has a huge impact on my enjoyment of it.

ScaryKids69 28 January, 2015 @ 3:55 pm   20

This is awesome. Hopefully we see Google Music at some point though!

I presume you will be able to link into existing Spotify premium accounts?

stcybergoth 28 January, 2015 @ 3:56 pm   22

Spotify will be available in Portugal?
What about YouTube and Maps apps on Vita?
Sony you treat the vita customers like [MODERATED] I think vita deserve spotify application too

Is the Czech Republic one of the 41 countries? Can you just give us a list of the countries, please?

stcybergoth 28 January, 2015 @ 3:58 pm   24

Spotify will be available in Portugal?
What about YouTube and Maps apps on Vita?
Sony you treat the vita customers like garbage. I think vita deserve spotify application too

jangofandango9 28 January, 2015 @ 3:59 pm   25

Looking forward to this, i normally play games with spotify running on the laptop

TehPunizher 28 January, 2015 @ 3:59 pm   26

meanwhile i’m still waiting for netflix on the VITA, NA got it but not EU…

What about Poland? :>

madmanwithabox12 28 January, 2015 @ 4:00 pm   28

And here comes the part where they ignoreception the Vita by ignoring the people asking why they’re ignoring the Vita.

jon_h_blake 28 January, 2015 @ 4:01 pm   29

I’m the only one here that love the psvita!!
Sony you does not deserve the love I give to this handheld,not at all…

What about Greece?
Can you just made a list of the countries, or if it is easier of the countries you wont support ?

Kylestien 28 January, 2015 @ 4:02 pm   31

Right, here’s the thing I need to ask: Will this cost money?

I’m gonna guess yes, but the thing is Spotify is free on mobile, tablet and computer. So having a music system that’s free on several options but costs money on Playstation just so you can play it in your games… is kinda a nasty move.

MaxDiehard 28 January, 2015 @ 5:50 pm

Premium just means you can listen to songs offline, no ads and higher quality sound.

Karma_Wangdu 29 January, 2015 @ 12:05 pm

Hope it will give the additional subscription option (between the free and premium one):
    I want to have higher quality, but don’t care about the off-line listening (or listening on multiple devices).

Unless the premium one will be priced lower than it is normally via the Spotify.

igotinfectified 28 January, 2015 @ 4:03 pm   32

Will it be available in Luxembourg? 😮

I’m so freaking excited for this, this is exactly what i’ve been hoping for!
Thank you PlayStation and Spotify!

we NEED to have a “Game audio” slider next to the “Music volume” one. When you wanted to listen to MU you had to turn down each individual element of a games audio every time which was a total pain. And hopefully Spotify will actually work unlike MU! But I agree that dynamic integration into games ( and sharefactory) would be even better. Having a playlist for PES/FIFA menu music or a GTA radio station etc.

Is avalible in Poland?

Finka_Karfein 29 January, 2015 @ 8:47 am

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 28 January, 2015 @ 4:05 pm 27.1

Yes, it will be available in Poland!

Dave-The-Rave 28 January, 2015 @ 4:05 pm   36

I can finally do away with my Music Unlimited account and use my Spotify account!

ToolShiro 28 January, 2015 @ 4:06 pm   37

Bulgaria? Yes? Say yes! 🙂

С оглед че не са 41 в ЕУ 🙂 Само да каже дали ще е фрее или ще искат 10 евро на месец…

Will it be available in Argentina? Please make me happy

Good news all around. I sure hope that I can login to my existing Spotify account and it doesn’t try something “clever” like trying to make me a Spotify account using my PSN.

will it be free or you will need premium to use on PS4?

Max500600_NL 28 January, 2015 @ 4:07 pm   41

Netherlands?

Faustofausto 28 January, 2015 @ 4:09 pm   42

Spotify for Vita!!!!!!!!!!

crusher915 28 January, 2015 @ 4:11 pm   43

Also please don’t let Crackle die!!! add an HD option, H.265, Merge it with the Video Unlimited store and offer a Subscription option

crusher915 28 January, 2015 @ 4:14 pm

you have a potential goldmine with Crackle if you know how to use it (oh and obviously open it up to more markets)

midohossam-99 28 January, 2015 @ 4:11 pm   44

Will it be available in saudi arabia? 😮

Gameskeeper 28 January, 2015 @ 4:16 pm   45

How about Finland? (I.e. please publish the list of supported countries.)

sentry-23 28 January, 2015 @ 4:17 pm   46

Will it be possible to migrate your existing library and playlists from one service to the other?

carnifexfortis 28 January, 2015 @ 4:33 pm

I’m assuming that it will be just Spotify with a PS ‘skin’, so all your stuff will be there. (i hope!)

DarthWeez 28 January, 2015 @ 4:19 pm   47

I’ve never tried spotify. I’ve loved my SMU service. What will I have to do to use Playstation Music? How much will it cost? Will I have to set up a new account with spotify?

madmanwithabox12 28 January, 2015 @ 4:21 pm   48

Spotify loves PlayStation so much they made a Vita app. Oh wait, that only happened in that alternate dimension where Sony actually cares about the platform. Shame we don’t live in that one.

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 28 January, 2015 @ 4:22 pm   49

The PlayStation Music featuring Spotify launch markets are as follows: Andorra, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, UK and USA

madmanwithabox12 28 January, 2015 @ 4:27 pm

Question: What’s a Vita?

Thank you for posting this list Grace. Very much appreciated. Perhaps we can get it added to the blog post itself.

@ madmanwithabox12

Still the best video game handheld ever conceived in my humble opinion! ^.^

I hope for future PlayStation handhelds, that they just cooperate with Sony Mobile Communications instead of having an own proprietary handheld again (though again I would love it since I love the PS Vita, but the market wouldn’t be there).

It would be amazing if we had a flagship Xperia smartphone that also runs/emulates all PSP and PS Vita games with an official controller attachment.

Emulating the rear touchpad from the PS Vita could be a problem though, unless they can elegantly add an rear touchpad to the Xperia.

Cheers! Happy to see Hungary there. 🙂 I’m eager to see how good the PS3/PS4 frontend (and service) is and hope that premium account linking goes smoothly.

loadstone007s 28 January, 2015 @ 7:40 pm

Please add Israel!

And not in Russia. Why i’m not surprised?

loadstone007 28 January, 2015 @ 4:23 pm   50

Hope Israel will be among the list.

Load all