Posted

Badland: Game of the Year Edition announced for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita

Frogmind’s acclaimed adventure is console-bound this spring

I hope your 2015 is off to an awesome start. It’s an especially exciting time for all of us at Frogmind because today we can finally share with you our plans to bring our multi-award-winning action adventure game, BADLAND, to PS4, PS3 and PS Vita this spring as Badland: Game of the Year Edition!

Badland was initially released in 2013 on iPad. Our original goal was to create a console-quality game for tablets. Frogmind was just a team of two at the time, without the resources to enter the console market, but we always dreamed of bringing Badland to the PlayStation community someday.

Thankfully Badland did well enough to make that dream a reality. It got a brilliant reception at release, winning numerous awards, including the prestigious title of iPad Game of the Year from Apple. But the response from fans has always been the most rewarding for us, and we’re incredibly grateful to our players, who have given the game an average user rating of 4.7/5. We’ve gotten so many requests from the beginning for a PlayStation version of Badland, and it’s great to finally be able to say that it is coming soon.

sp-lazer-rider-02sp-noon-01coopcoop

Badland mixes innovative physics-based gameplay, creative level design and dynamic power-ups with stunning, atmospheric graphics and audio. You control a flying creature, Clony, through a beautiful forest with an ominous undertone, discovering an astonishing number of imaginative traps, puzzles and obstacles on your way to finding out just what is going on.

We want Badland: Game of the Year Edition to be perfect on PlayStation platforms. It builds on the atmospheric, hand-painted graphics of the original with enhanced full-HD visuals. We’ve focused on delivering the best gameplay possible, expanding the controls to fit naturally with the analog stick and triggers. You also have a lot more freedom with those controls – you can now fly backwards as well as manage the speed of your flying, a change which required us to carefully modify every level in the game to accommodate.

coop-01coop-03multi-01

But all that extra effort has been worth it. Badland: Game of the Year Edition features four times more content than the original did at launch. It has 100 single-player levels (which should take around 15 hours to complete), 100 co-op levels and 27 deathmatch stages for up-to-four-person local multiplayer awesomeness. It also has a platinum trophy and supports cross-buy and cross-play functionality. So not only can you keep your progress going on your Vita after playing on PS4, for instance, but you also only need to pay for Badland once to get it across all platforms.

Badland: Game of the Year Edition will come out this spring, so if you’re into beautiful, atmospheric action adventures, or just want to try something unique, keep an eye out for it!

We’ll be back later in the year to talk more about the game and reveal the exact launch date, but until then, I’d be more than happy to answer any questions I can in the comments below!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

23 Comments 11 Author replies
Show oldest first

Great job! Finally we PS user can play the game and with a platinum trophy! But I have some questions:

1. You said, there are some co-op levels. What kind of co-op is it? Local co-op or/and online co-op?

2. What about the price?

3. Cross-buy and -save are great! Is cross-play possible too?

Teemu Mäki-Patola 29 January, 2015 @ 5:28 am

Thanks DanteZX!
    1) It’s local co-op for 2-4 players. All the single player levels are available for co-op mode as well. It’s one of my favourite game modes in the game and works super well!
    2) We have a pretty good feeling what it should be but will announce the price next time together with the exact launch date.
    3) The game supports cross-save so you have the same game progress in all of your PS systems – together with shared leaderboards between the systems. For cross-play, are you referring to playing the PS3 version using PS Vita as a controller? If so, I’ll talk with the team once we have all woken up and reply. 🙂

Thanks for the fast reply! I played the game on a iPad a few years ago and it was really awesome. But I hate the touching controls…now I am very proud of you guys, because you give us a Playstation controller based version <3

1. Local co-op is awesome, many people will love you! I like online co-op a bit more, because you can earn trophies together for example. But we still have the Share-play option on PS4, so it's fine. Maybe you think about an online co-op too and maybe add it via patch.

2. can't wait for the Release ^^ Hurry up!

3. The shared leaderboard sounds really good. I hate to beat highscores on every single platform… about cross-play: I meant if it had online co-op, Vita user could play together with PS4 and PS3 player. But yeah, playing with the Vita as a controller would be great! Maybe you can add a nice second screen feature between Vita/PSApp and PS4 version for the game too?

Not many developer are present on the blog here, so you doing a great job! And good morning 🙂

It’s funny to see a goty of a game that you’ve never heard of before, but that’s prolly thanks to me not having any iStuff. But always nice to have some good finnish stuff on the network so kiitokset and hope you guys have a great launch with the title 🙂

It looks pretty and something that me and the kids will enjoy, I am going to keep an eye to this one.

loonyspoony 29 January, 2015 @ 7:09 am   4

The iOS version has in app purchases, are we going to see a similar pricing model or will it be fully open with all content outside of any paywall?

Teemu Mäki-Patola 29 January, 2015 @ 7:13 am

Hi! This is the complete package with all the content with one single purchase.

thekillingspree 29 January, 2015 @ 7:13 am   5

I had a lot of fun playing this in my Android phone (I even threw a little bit of money at it at the time), but I don’t see myself paying again to play it on my Vita. Nonetheless, I hope people who haven’t tried this before in their mobile phones will be able to enjoy such a beautiful game 🙂

I have this on my Android phone and it’s VERY good 🙂 This is a day on buy for me!
Even sweeter that its PS4 and Vita with cross save and cross buy.
Take my money!!

Teemu Mäki-Patola 29 January, 2015 @ 8:26 am

Thanks for the thumbs up! I know you won’t be disappointed. Every time we have new people try e.g. the PS4 version, playing it from a big TV, they always tend to be surprised of how good it looks and feels. So I guess there is some pre-expectation based on the background but it really plays well on the consoles.

Hah, it’s great! So nice to see how you have answered everything I needed to know already! Now to get the game! (*^-^)/\(*^-^*)/\(^-^*)
BTW, spring, April or May? (^○^)

Teemu Mäki-Patola 29 January, 2015 @ 8:31 am

Thanks! I don’t dare to say a month yet, although we are already starting to submit the builds within weeks. But all versions need to pass format QA before a launch date can be set. But so far its looking quite promising for mid Spring rather than late Spring (knocking on wood). 🙂

This looks amazing! Count me in 😀

Deathmatch!
How does it work?

Teemu Mäki-Patola 29 January, 2015 @ 8:55 am

So it supports up-to-four people on local multiplayer. You can either play all 100 levels in co-op with your friends or you can battle in 27 deathmatch levels. In the latter, you try to push the others to their doom or try to outpace them and be the last one standing.

I really hope the vita version will be smooth with no noticeable frame drops.

Aces73High 29 January, 2015 @ 9:46 am   11

This really is fantastic news, guys! Badland is comfortably one of my favourite ever iOS games. I’d even put it in the same ballpark as fellow App Store legends, Contre Jour, The Room, Space Miner Blast, Wayward Souls and World of Goo.

[NOTE]: Incidentally, if you ask me, each of those aforementioned iOS greats would absolutely rock on Vita and — with it’s snazzy touchpad — PS4.

INS1GHTFUL 29 January, 2015 @ 9:58 am   12

It’s good to have this on vita bit I just hope they don’t try to put a price 20 times more than the ios price. It’s frustrating to see cheap or free games on mobile come to vote with a massively inflated price

Teemu Mäki-Patola 29 January, 2015 @ 10:05 am

We’ll be reasonable. The iOS version costs $5,97 with both level pack IAPS. The Android version price is the same if you unlock all IAP content. The PS versions will have all content open with the initial purchase.

Gloom12356776543 29 January, 2015 @ 10:06 am   13

Great game cant wait to play it on PS4/Vita ! 🙂

Kresnik258 29 January, 2015 @ 10:21 am   14

I don’t really know what this is, but the screenshots make it look beautiful. I’m looking forward to finding out more about the game!

Will you enable SharePlay to make that local co-op > online co-op?

Robinworldwide 29 January, 2015 @ 12:34 pm   16

Looks great and it’s always nice hearing when a game like this has a platinum trophy. If the price is reasonable i will definitely pick this up!

PMurphy1978 29 January, 2015 @ 12:34 pm   17

Looks very interesting! Will the Vita version have local multiplayer too?

Teemu Mäki-Patola 29 January, 2015 @ 5:03 pm

It currently has. We’ll see if the technical requirements will allow to keep it. On Vita it suits 2 players ok. Naturally easier on multiple controllers up-to-four. But with the cross save and cross buy, if you play co-op with your friend on PS4 / PS3 you could basically continue while on the move with the Vita.

CommonComitatus 29 January, 2015 @ 1:23 pm   18

Big fan of this game on iOS. No real need to get it for my Vita too, but might support it anyway if the price isn’t too high. 🙂

ferenzzz1971 29 January, 2015 @ 1:43 pm   19

The big wheels reminded me of LIMBO somehow.. 🙂

Cool game!

Witcher70 29 January, 2015 @ 7:16 pm   20

AWESOME NEWS! You have no idea how badly i wanted this game on ios but i HATE touch controls ! DAY ONE BUY, i’m in for the PS4 version.

Question: Will you be adding more levels?

Teemu Mäki-Patola 30 January, 2015 @ 9:51 am

Thanks Witcher70!
    It has 100 levels for single player campaign and 100 levels modified for co-op playing. And another 27 levels of MP deathmatch. Naturally all there with the purchase of the game. It’s a solid amount of content (some 12-15 hours of play just to pass all 100 on either side (SP / co-op)). And the levels have all been modified for the new controls. This ended up a good amount of effort from our level maker guys and testing. To be decided what will happen after the launch. If the game is successful on the PS platform, it’s definitely possible that we would update the content at some point.

Witcher70 30 January, 2015 @ 11:37 pm

Awesome, thank you for your reply 😀

telbanham 30 January, 2015 @ 9:37 am   21

This looks beautiful, I’m excited… it’s now on my watch list 😉

Never heard of it before as I don’t play games on my iPad or iPhone…