PlayStation Plus in February: Transistor, Yakuza 4, Thief, Rogue Legacy, more

Stylish PS4 adventure Apotheon and PS Vita platformer Kick & Fennick also inbound

Hi everyone! As the nights are still long and days a little chilly up here in the northern hemisphere what better way to keep yourself entertained than with a fresh batch of PlayStation Plus games. We’ve got a real mix of treats for you this month…

New on PlayStation 4

First up this month on PS4, rich 2D action adventure set in mythical ancient Greece. Apotheon takes you on a journey to the top of Mount Olympus where, as humanity’s last champion, you must pass through the land of the dead, infiltrate Mount Olympus, and end the wrath of the Gods. With sword, spear, and shield in hand, you will sneak, conspire, loot, and battle your way through majestic palaces and chthonic depths as you climb towards godhood.

Next up a game that IGN, Game Informer and Edge all rated 9/10! Transistor is a sci-fi themed action RPG that invites you to wield an extraordinary weapon of unknown origin as you fight through a stunning futuristic city. The game integrates thoughtful strategic planning into a fast-paced action experience, melding responsive gameplay and rich atmospheric storytelling.

New on PlayStation 3

First up on PS3, a dark adventure in the form of Thief. A rising tide of fear in The City has led to hatred saturating every stone and whilst the rich prosper, the less fortunate face misery and repression. Into this shadowy world steps master thief Garrett. Square-Enix’s franchise reinvention features intelligent design that allows you to take full control, with freedom to choose your path through the game’s levels.

Also on PS3, an open world adventure set in the criminal underground of Tokyo. Yakuza 4 lets you play as a variety of characters whose stories are all cleverly woven together in one big conspiracy. Which story will you follow first?

New on PS Vita

Coming to PS Vita this month, acclaimed 2D platform adventure Rogue Legacy. You must traverse a procedurally-generated castle to uncover the secrets of your cursed heritage. You have only one chance though, as there is no redemption from death. Do you have what it takes to uncover your family’s history and redeem its honour?

Finally this month, Kick and Fennick – an adventure about a small boy with a big gun! Soon after waking up in a desolate but colorful world, Kick meets a small flying robot named Fennick. When Fennick saves Kick from a menacing guard robot, they find out Fennick’s battery is broken. Together, they embark on an adventure to the Core Tower to find Fennick a new energy core.

In summary

Leaving PS Plus:
4th February: inFamous First Light
4th February: The Swapper
4th February: Prototype 2
4th February: DuckTales Remastered
4th February: Woah Dave!
4th February: Duke Nukem: 3D Megaton Edition

Entering PS Plus:
4th February: Apotheon (PS4)
4th February: Transistor (PS4)
4th February: Thief (PS3)
4th February: Yakuza 4 (PS3)
4th February: Rogue Legacy (PS4, PS3, PS Vita Cross Buy)
4th February: Kick and Fennick (PS Vita)

Don’t miss out! Make sure to add any of the games scheduled to leave the service to your download list now to ensure you get to play them!

Not a PlayStation Plus member? Then join today from just £5.49/€6.99 p/m. To find out more visit our PlayStation Plus site.

Remember, if you’ve not got access to your PS4, PS3 or PS Vita then you can also buy through our online store.

308 Comments
9 Author replies

Click on one of the two comments below that corresponds better on how you feel about this ps+ update.
Please, click only one, so that the results are more or less representative of our feelings towards the service. Thank you.

1.1

>> I enjoy this month’s ps+ update.

1.2

>> I don’t enjoy this month’s ps+ update.

1.3

The results above just go to show that when the content offered is legitimately good, people will offer the proper appreciation.

Show more replies
zalwelgoedgaan 29 January, 2015 @ 16:32

Folks, please play Yakuza 4. Introduce yourself to an amazing series. Good going Sony, make sure Sega gets some money for the Yakuza franchise. Excellent month!

zalwelgoedgaan 29 January, 2015 @ 17:06
2.1

Get hyped with these Yakuza 4 videos!

Super moves of the main character: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2nzQi0X-ZU

Super moves of the first character you play in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldV8SgISqjI

Super moves of the powerhouse you get later on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJD2kA9U7Y

Enjoy!

monkeyrabbit75 29 January, 2015 @ 20:59
2.2

Do you think they will release an English version for yakuza 5? It’s out in Japan with different name but after contacting Sega I was told they had no plans for releasing an English version, I think it was due to lack of sales for yakuza dead souls.

2.3

monkeyrabbit75 – An English version of Yakuza 5 was announced a few months ago :)

Show more replies

Absolutely amazing month!

Yakuza 4, Rogue Legacy and Transistor are 3 amazing games!

Slightly off topic but useful recommendation / reminder to active ps+ users, regarding the following games:

–Don’t Starve
–RESOGUN
–Hotline Miami
–Thomas Was Alone
–Dead Nation

If you have put those games in your download list when they were offered as part of the IGC, and you are still a ps+ member, go over to the ps store and ”buy” them again for free. In most of the above cases, the state of ownership will change and the games will no longer be tied to your sub, but they will be yours to keep forever. In some cases, you get to keep the free game for the console that is bought for.

You could also get Jak & Daxter trilogy for Vita through this method.

And i think the same happened with Spelunky.

Sorry for triple reply: also for Rainbow Moon on Vita.

Show more replies

As a Vita owner it’s certainly better than December was…

X_Blood_Curse_X 29 January, 2015 @ 16:37
5.1

Anything is better than Woah Dave, which I think is probably the worst plus game ever.

Kick and fennick looks a bit “meh” but Rogue Legacy is genuinely awesome

Woah Dave is the second worse game after Sportsfriend, only multyplayer and no online, unless ofc you are talking about Vita only.

When did Vita got a AAA game last time ? :/

X_Blood_Curse_X 29 January, 2015 @ 16:39
6.1

Vita games on plus are clearly an afterthought now. Anything to fill the slot.

Last proper Vita game on plus I remember was Dragons Crown

There are no AAA games on PS Vita, or on any handheld for that matter.

Most high-profile games on handhelds are more like AA games.

AAA games have €25+ million development budgets. AA games are more like in the €5-25 million range. Games like Until Dawn, Tearaway, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Puppeteer, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048 are AA games.

If you really think that Vita has no AAA games, you should look harder.

Show more replies

Very great month!
cant wait to start my first Yakuza game!

zalwelgoedgaan 29 January, 2015 @ 16:37
7.1

Take your time, don’t rush through it. It’s a story driven game with a lot of side activities and it’s all very authentic to the Japanese (mob) culture.

The beginning is a _tad_ slow, but once things get going and you get the feel of the brutal combat, you’ll stay hooked.

God, this took you guys forever…

bidbaldwolf86 29 January, 2015 @ 16:34

If anyone complains about a month that gives Transistor, Yakuza and Rogue legacy needs to get their head checked.

Apatheon and Kick and Fennick look pretty good as well.

Really good month guys. Thanks

Tried Transistor and didn’t like it, maybe I should give it one more try.
My only complain is that Vita hasn’t got a big game for a looong time.

I’m complaining because for the third month in a row I already own the good games. Oh well you win some, you lose some.

Rouge legacy is the best game I played last year so enjoy people.

Transistor I bought and not really played.

Everything else I’ll give a go thanks.

Great choice though. Too bad I have pretty much all the games.

Best month in recent memory!
Can’t wait to try Apotheon and Kick and Fennick. Thanks!

Thief on PS3 is a waste of a spot, but everything else is looking good! Great month.

I mean — Transistor, Yakuza 4, and Rogue Legacy, all at once. Wow.

I just wish SEGA would release Yakuza 1+2 HD over here. I don’t want to start the series with Yakuza 3 or 4. I know there are recaps, but I prefer playing the games, not reading about them.

13.1

In Yakuza 3 you have a very good summary of the principal events in Yakuza 1&2

Finka_Karfein 29 January, 2015 @ 22:05
13.2

I agree with Andrefpvs – developing emotional relationship between the player and characters take time. Watching some short films won’t do nothing. SEGA & Sony need to partner up more and bring Yakuza 1&2 HD Edition here. It’s a must.

Finally a great month!

You guys have no excuses not to play Yakuza 4 now

DarkArchoNx66 29 January, 2015 @ 16:35

I almost bought Thief in the recent sale but I didn’t cause I knew it..Man, I would be furious right now, but lesson learned the last time I bought something as part of the deal of the week and two weeks later it came on plus..Good month, hope you keep it up. Although, let’s be pragmatists, next month is going to suck xD/

counterUAVbaby 31 January, 2015 @ 19:39
15.1

pragmatists??? realistic you mean.

Great month, thank you ! :-)

Happy with Thief and Yakuza 4. Was hoping Thief would appear someday but was hoping for the PS4 version. But still good it’s on PS3 anyway as I get to play it. Not excited for the two PS4 games but will play them anyway when I get the time. Will need to try complete Thief before Evolve is released and after that will be too busy with The Order 1886

Great lineup! I hope Thief will also be available for the PS4!

18.1

Knowing sony, it will be for you yanks, but not for us. You got Dragons Crown on PS3/Vita, They only gave us it on Vita. A game that really feels better on the big screen too!. Thief, from what I’ve seen, isnt great though, still, would have been nice.

You guys outdid yourselves this month, excelent ! Only nitpicks that I have is Thief being on PS3 and not 4 vita and only having 2 indies again, but considering one of them is Rogue Legacy, let’s let it slide this time :) By the way guys, do I need to play Jakuza 1,2,3 to understand 4, or can I just jump straight in ?

zalwelgoedgaan 29 January, 2015 @ 16:39
19.1

There is an optional summary at the beginning of the game where each previous game is recapped briefly to get you up to speed. Although, if you can get your hands on the games, they are definitely worth a shot!

19.2

thief was never on vita… i wish they’d done it crossplay with ps4.

19.3

Whoops :D I kinda swapped “vita” and “and” … Now it sounds that I want more indies and Thief for vita … damn those typos xD

@ Chris Howen from SCEE, PS+ content manager

You should decrease the value of PS+ and provide less games imo.

PlayStation Plus is way too much value imo.

72 games per month for just €49,99 per year. Say each game costs €5 normally, then that’s €360 worth of games for just €49,99. That’s WAY TOO MUCH VALUE.

This is devaluing games and poses a threat to the perceived value of games. It poses a long-term threat on the video game industry of the viability of games if the value gets decreased so quickly.

The proof of this devaluation is that you see a lot of people complaining about PS+ games. It’s because they have been conditioned to have high value expectations and this devalues games further.

20.2

Shut up, youre getting over €300 worth of games for €50 and youre complaining about getting too much. Who does that?

20.3

Erm…no. Used games didn’t kill gaming, neither will these sub’s. People are happy to pay around the £40 mark for a bran new game which is roughly the same as the PS1 days.

Show more replies

Hrrm, just bought Transistor in the sale at the start of the year. Knew I should have waited.

This does happen quite a lot though, and it’s actually making me lean towards not buying a lot of games I would otherwise get due to thinking “I’ll just wait until it’s on Plus”. I thought it was a great move when you announced three months of PS4 games in advance, made me excited about what was coming and made sure I didn’t buy Swapper – which I was really interested in getting – and instead spent my money on other games.

zalwelgoedgaan 29 January, 2015 @ 16:47
21.1

It goes like this:

New Game A: Wow! I’ve been a huge fan of this series for a long time/this new game is my dream come true, I must buy it and play it day 1!
New Game B: Hey, this new game I’ve never heard of before looks cool, I might give it a shot when it’s released.
New Game C: I’m interested in this game, but it is not really high on my priority list. I’ll eventually get it.
New Game D: Not sure if I would like it, I can’t afford it and there are many other titles I am excited about.

Depending on your budget, New Game C and D are Plus material.

Yakuza is one of my favorite series, so I will buy Yakuza 5 day 1. Yakuza is my New Game A.

21.2

I feel your pain man. It’s not just that you already paid for it, it can make or break your PS+ month too. This month wouldn’t have been nearly as good for me if I already got Transistor, for example, while now it makes it lean more toward a good month. It’s a pain but yeah, can’t win them all..

Yowza! Great selection. I already have Transistor (and Theif doesn’t insterest me), but the rest looks great.

So that’s it for the AAA titles on ps4 then is it? Back to Indies from now on. Haha that didn’t last long. I knew it would be too much to ask for that to keep going.

23.1

Atleast they both look pretty good (although that’s subjective ofcourse) and Transistor is a bit more expensive than the regular Indie but I would be lying if I said I didn’t want a AAA on the regular.. To be continued, I guess? :p

Honestly i don’t mind, Rogue Legacy (why are people calling it rouge?) is amazing, Apotheon looks promising and Transistor, well, i kind of feel is overhyped but i’m willing to give it a try.
I hope that at least one of the vita/ps3 is crossplay so that we get 3 games instead of only 2…

Oh, since i know that this will happen:

Someone complaining: “2 AAA games for PS3 and none for PS4, why???”
Defense force: “Because PS4 has less AAA available and PS3 has more!!!”

Correct me if i’m wrong, wasn’t Thief 4 released at the same time for both plataforms? Yeah….

Ps – Not saying that Thief is better than the 3 indie games being available next month, i thought the Thief demo was boring…

23.3

Because IT IS too much to ask for. It’s been out for a [MODERATED] year, and you expect them to start giving you retail-games? That’s just [MODERATED].

I will support Apotheon with full payment. They deserve.

24.1

they’ve just been given a bucket of cash from sony to get it on ps+

So, back to Indie baddies and 2€ bucket “AAA”? Nice, really nice.

Really happy Apotheon is coming next month, I’ve been waiting for it since the announcement!

Excellent update! Things are improving these last three months. Don’t let up and keep adding a few big titles here and there.

After many months I can finally say this: Great work Chris and team!! ;)

Aaaand another useless garbage for Vita. Thank you Sony, I don’t have to renew my subscription.

29.1

Rogue Legacy is great game !

29.2

I don’t think so.

29.3

Why are you writing about something if you even do not have plus ? You are just another hater and nothing more.

Show more replies

Kinda wish Thief was for PS4 rather than PS3 :(

Wow you’ve hit it out the park this month. Great month, can’t wait to play Transistor especially.

Great: Rogue Legacy, Yakuza 4
Good: Transistor (thought it got hyped a bit when I played the PC version), Apotheon (love art and setting, no idea about gameplay)
Meh: Thief, Kick and Fennick

Can’t complain at all, a very solid and well-rounded update. Though I’d still wish we’d see some RPGs! (I consider Transistor to be an Action-Adventure.

Another good line up!

I might have to give up on guessing future PS+ games on the PlayStation forums, I never guess a single game correctly lol:D

If I had PS3 I would enjoy this month’s Ps+ games. But I have IndieStation 4. Seriously guys, I’d like to get one game, but much better than these. Hopefully February has only 28 days.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand that’s the reason I still have my PS3 hooked on to the TV. :)

DoYouLikeMyID 29 January, 2015 @ 16:48

I’m certainly happy about getting Apotheon for free! I’ve really been looking forward to that game! And I’ve been keeping an eye on Kick and Fennick as well, since it reminds me of Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank in some weird way – so it’ll be nice to get that game for free too.

Sadly though, I already have Rogue Legacy (Don’t really get the hype about that game to be honest…) and Transistor, even though I haven’t played the latter yet. (I’m waiting for Bastion to be released on PS)

I’m also definitely going to try Yakuza, as I’ve heard nothing but great stuff about that series. And I’ll probably give thief a go too.

Overall, a really great month for those of us who own all consoles! :D

Yakuza 4, Thief and APOTHEON (I was looking forward to this game, seems freaking sweet), this is a great month :D
Any way of upgrading Thief to PS4? :p that would be cool

36.1

Sorry we can’t make that happen I’m afraid

36.2

Well, no problem :) PS3 owners need some love too!
The selection this month is pretty great so keep up the fine work, gentlemen!

Will Thief be for PS4 as well?
If so this month is much better!

37.1

No Thief is only on PS3

37.2

seems a waste, not having it crossbuy

it is clearly stated that thief is ps3!!why do you answer the obvious and leave serious questions unanswered????? really disappointing, out of contact

Based lineup.

O no I have already bought Transistor.

CookieMonsterES 29 January, 2015 @ 16:53

Already had Transistor, Rogue Legacy, Yakuza 4 and Thief but this is still a great month. Good job, Chris!

Nice month espcial for the PS3 users,PS4 not AAA games bat very god this time.

Here’s a wee Public Service Announcement for all the complainers.

Indie isn’t a meaningful descriptor for a game. Saying that you dislike ‘indies’ is an statement with of zero substance. A game’s method of distribution or its developer-publisher relationship tells you nothing about a game. When the word indie is used, this is what it is describing.

So to recap:

“I dislike the February PS4 update because it’s all indies” – MEANINGLESS
“I dislike the December PS4 update because I don’t like fighting games” – MEANINGFUL

42.1

Okay, so you want a meaningful reason, well although story is the most important thing for me, I don’t like playing a game that looks like belongs in the Sega/N64 era of video games. We’re in 2015 now not the early 90s and games on the ps4 should look and feel like they are meant for the ps4, seriously I’ve seen mobile games that look and play better than 90% of these Indies on ps4.

42.2

Several points:

1/ N64 games are among the best ever released.
2/ There’s lots of great looking, and great playing mobile games.
3/ Transistor is 2.4GB, renders at 1080p and has high quality audio. It wasn’t possible in N64 era, unless it was heavily downgraded….
4/ Injustice: Gods Among Us (if heavily downgraded) could have been done on a PSOne. Yet it’s allegedly a AAA game. What’s the difference?

This anti-indie meme is nothing but snobbery.

The devs behind Apotheon spent three years of their lives making it, the least you could do is try it (without having to pay any money!!!) before dismissing it.

42.3

Indie games are great but they are a nice little bonus at low price on PSN , even lower on Steam.
Practically with these Sony doesn’t bring any real value behind the subscription on the ps4 which is mandatory for online gaming unlike ps3,while the whole service is still unstable

Show more replies

Great selection. I already picked up Transistor in the sale at Christmas and of course, its STILL a great range of games ^_^

Great month. I wanted to pick up Transistor, it will be good for free.
Apotheon looks interesting too.
The Ps3 games are great too, but I have them already. And for PSVita, Toukiden would’ve been better, but it’s okay.
A tip for PSVita free games, there are a lot of japanese games for the console it would be great to get those like Danganronpa, Project Diva f, Hyperdimensiona PP etc.

And guys, if you don’t have it already just download Yakuza 4, support Sega. Can’t wait to play 5.

It’s times like this I wish I had a PS3. Not played either Thief or Yakuza 4 before, and would really like to :(

Yay, Transistor! Already got Yakuza 4, Thief I wouldn’t buy, but I’ll give it a try anyway, and Kick & Fennick looks great! Thanks, great month!

DuquesneWhistle 29 January, 2015 @ 17:00

This is unreal! I was planning on buying Apotheon and Transistor is a masterpiece. I was also going to buy both Thief and Yakuza 4. And Rogue Legacy is fantastic! Thank you!

Knew Transistor would come eventually, so I’ve been keeping away from it until now. This has made me pretty happy, it’s not usually the kind of game I play, but I’ve heard good things about it, so I’ll definitely be getting it.

Awesome games I must say

Why no Thief for PS4 as well?

European_Gamer 29 January, 2015 @ 17:57
50.1

Maybe it’s selling better on PS4. I don’t think Square will give us a free game if people are buying it.

Dr_Manhattan73 30 January, 2015 @ 10:54
50.2

European_Gamer makes a fair point, but actually I would be amazed if Thief sold better on PS4 than PS3.

Dr_Manhattan73, then it may surprise you to learn that every cross-gen game released since the PS4’s launch has sold better on the PS4 then PS3. That’s one of the reason’s more and more developers and publishers are very happy to stop developing for the PS3.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.