How does DmC: Definitive Edition feel at 60fps on PS4?

We go hands-on with Dante’s re-tooled PS3 adventure

When DmC: Devil May Cry launched in January of 2013, Ninja Theory introduced the world to a fresh interpretation of an iconic video game (anti)hero. Half angel, half demon, the Dante of DmC not only fought legions of demon spawn, but the misinformation of an evil corporation. The demon king Mundus took a CEO’s office, not a dark throne. It was a new game world, and Dante kicked its ass.

Now the smart-talking Dante fights on in DmC: Definitive Edition, launching this March on PS4. It’s an enhanced version of the original PS3 game with a slew of new features and a layer of polish that makes Dante’s demon-killing exploits and confident gunplay even more satisfying. I had a chance to put the Definitive Edition through its paces, and managed to avoid embarrassing myself in the Bloody Palace along the way.

Starting with the basics: the Definitive Edition runs at 60 frames per second in crisp 1080p. This propels the fast-paced combat and kinetic environments to new heights, enhancing Dante’s deft swordwork and the ever-shifting realm of Limbo.

16381775141_83579b5ba6_o

To fully wring every advantage out of these new performance upgrades, the Definitive Edition also features a Turbo Mode that amps the game speed up 20 percent. If you thought fending off hordes of twisted abominations was both a challenge and a thrill in the original version, just wait.

The developers have also included a new difficulty level aptly named “Gods Must Die” in which all enemies have their Devil Triggers active when they spawn. This is the game’s way of saying “good luck, LOL,” and then throwing Dante into a giant hell blender. But what would Devil May Cry be without those over-the-top challenges that keep players coming back for additional punishment?

16381774931_7bb1ed4189_o16382596062_cc12d81a7d_o16383508605_f38b2cb1ae_o

DmC: Definitive Edition also comes equipped with a Hardcore Mode, which adjusts the combat design to feel more like the traditional Devil May Cry games. This means a more rigorous Style ranking system, modified Devil Trigger, and other tweaks to give gamers that worshipped the original series something else to sink their combo-hungry teeth into. Definitive Edition allows for the mixing and matching of these different modes, too, to give players an unprecedented degree of control over how the game plays. If you want to crank the difficulty, turn on Turbo and Hardcore, then bang your head against a wall, you’re welcome to do so.

Most of these new additions are also reflected in Vergil’s Downfall, a campaign that follows Dante’s brother after the events of the main story and casts players as the arrogant, samurai-like Nephilim. As a bonus: Ninja Theory built an entire Bloody Palace just for Vergil in this edition, which means a new arena with dozens of enemy waves to train against and dispatch in short order.

Even if you already cleared the original DmC, the Definitive Edition gives you a plethora of reasons to go back in with your fists swinging. Good luck with that SSS ranking.

16195878908_57549465f4_o16197607087_33bc14a21e_o
16197607357_5c4ed992aa_o
16381775251_f908669b50_o16195878808_a19709e6ca_o
16382596522_8183bdd8ba_o
33 Comments
0 Author replies

any info for price?

European_Gamer 30 January, 2015 @ 18:26
1.1

The price of previous remasters were full retail price

X_Blood_Curse_X 30 January, 2015 @ 19:10
1.2

£20 at thegamecollection

Finallygotit_Pom 30 January, 2015 @ 16:56

Just remembered that I haven’t played DMC for PS3 which I has already bought.

Finallygotit_Pom 02 February, 2015 @ 13:48
2.1

Started playing on my PS3. Loving it.

So there are no graphical improvements aside from the 60 fps? Frankly I was hoping for some polish over the last-gen graphics, especially because the game features such a gorgeus variety of evironments. Oh well, I’ll probably get it anyway if it isn’t too expensive (or wait for it to become less so).

3.1

There is just not a whole more you can do with the Unreal 3 engine. If the game engine has limited constraints, there is nothing that can be done about that. It is the SOLE thing that will be holding back Mortal Kombat X and Batman Arkham Knight, YES, these 2 “next gen” games are releasing on the Unreal 3 engine and in 2015 too.

Like andrew said the UE3 engine is limited the only reason why MKX/Batman AK look good is because the customization that those developers use.Look at Bioshock infinite that game looks nothing like the standard UE3 game thanks in part of the custom toolsets.

A_Nonny_Moose 30 January, 2015 @ 17:38

Presumably it feels the same as the PS3 version, since that was 30fps made to feel like 60fps, or so I kept hearing at the time. I’ll give this a try if it ever ends up on PS+ like the last one.

Meanwhile I will eagerly await DMC4 Special Edition news.

DieFliedermouse 31 January, 2015 @ 13:01
4.1

I doubt it’ll turn up on Plus, as DMC has already appeared on PS3 and at the end of the day it’s the same game. People already moan enough about plus content without inviting criticism like that. It looks like it’ll be a lower price release, so give it a whirl if you really enjoyed the original.

What I wouldn’t give for the remaster of Enslaved!

Now we have moderated comments, how scared of the truth can this blog be?

zalwelgoedgaan 30 January, 2015 @ 21:17
6.1

The feel of the truth. The truth that they don’t want to face.

Going to have to wait for the real devil may cry. After playing Bayonetta 2, a toned down, simplified DMC will not suffice.

DieFliedermouse 31 January, 2015 @ 13:02
7.1

Controversial , but I preferred DMC.

Please tell me this has a ‘Photo mode’ like InFamous Second Son! I surprisingly spend half my time in that game taking photos and come out with some incredible shots, it’s actually quite rewarding. DmC looks like it was made for a photo mode, SO much potential!

3D stereoscopic support would have been an insta-buy, in fact I’d actually prefer that over any and all these new features, including 60fps. PS4 hardware squandered with all these remasters, missed opportunities.

Don’t care. Waiting for Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition.

DieFliedermouse 31 January, 2015 @ 13:06
9.1

From what I’ve heard, there’s not been the same kind of work put into the DmC4 remaster, hence the lack of news. Personally, I though DMC4 was one of the weaker entires to the series – three words. Board game levels.

9.2

Three words – superior combat system. It’s hell hard and fun to play. Also every enemy has their own strategy to beat them. In turbo mode to block Blitz laser with royalguard you have 2 frames! That’s what stylish is. You can call me ignorant hater, but in my opinion DmC no way near to the previous games (gameplay, graphics, combat, characters, humor, taunt!).

Probably feels like Donte’s prom date.

When is uncharted is going to be on PS4?

Uncharted Collection will be announced at E3 and released that week or shortly afterwards

Am I the only one who had to turn this off after like 10 mins on the ps3 because of how unbelievably cheesy (not in a good way) and crap it was?

I got the PS3 version on PS+ and it runs awful. Fortunately I played it on PC first and it ran smooth as butter. So for anybody that has a bad taste in their mouth from the PS3 version consider giving this one a chance as long as the 1080/60 promise is true. It’s a very beautiful game when it runs smoothly.

From a gameplay point it was quite accesable and enjoyable. But sadly they forgot what actually made the DMC series popular and uniqe, it was Dante. They kept doing slight changes to his personility on the original series as well but DmC version was a unoriginal to look at. Especially his brother Vigil. I had wished if they were to reboot the series they would go with the Anime version. All in all it is an enjoyable slahser…

I really enjoyed the game on ps3. However this remaster is needless. I would much rather an Onimusha remaster or even a reboot.

dmc is kool

Bah, screw DmC! It would be awesome if we could get some DMC 4: Special Edition news. :/

Pre-order here we come :P.
Never played this on PS3.

It’s a lot better than i thought one of the boss fights goes down as one of my all time favorite.

alice_push_lara2 06 February, 2015 @ 03:30

would be nice if we could carry over our old saves

bad ass.. i cant wiit.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history