Posted

Old school survival horror adventure White Night unveiled for PS4

A stylish haunted house spine-tingler from Alone in the Dark alumni

Starting OSome Studio was a pretty frightening adventure in the beginning. I met Domenico Albani and Mathieu Fremont while employed together at Eden Games, where we worked on the fifth instalment of Alone in the Dark. We all went our separate ways after that project finished, picking up experience at other studios, but there was always the feeling of ‘what if’ in the back of our minds.

After a few more years of exhausting ourselves on ‘blockbuster’ titles, the three of us took a step back and realised we each wanted to do something that would let loose our creativities and replenish our passions. OSome Studio was founded to produce original, refreshing games with powerful and immersive environments.

White Night_Sony Blog_1

Set in Boston in the 1930s, White Night is an old-school survival horror adventure with a distinct black-and-white film noir look that grabs you immediately. We wanted to create something that people would enjoy, but also something that would stand out as unusual and refreshing in today’s survival horror landscape. That meant revisiting the themes that made classic horror games like the original Alone in the Dark so gripping: mature storytelling, strong characters, compelling environments and equal respect for tension and terror. White Night is a good old ghost story full of mystery, poetry, alchemy and suspense.

And true to classic survival horror fashion, it’s set in a deserted mansion.

White Night_Sony Blog_3

We hunted for inspiration wherever we could find it. We listened to jazz music from the era. We drew from the bold look of black-and-white cinema, not only to define White Night’s art style, but to create a chilling game world in which scarce sources of light are the only ways to reveal your surroundings. We even went so far as to rent a real-life mansion in Normandy, where we stowed away for a week to talk about the game, take pictures of the architecture and, most importantly, steep ourselves in the setting. We wanted to get it all right.

We showed White Night to press and publishers for the first time at the 2013 Game Connection Europe show in Paris, where it was honoured with both the Best PC & Console Hardcore Award and Best Selected Project Award.

White Night_Sony Blog_2

The prize included – wait for it – a nifty PS4 development kit, which you can probably gather we put to good use! White Night went on to win additional awards afterwards, including Best in Play at GDC and the Public Choice prize at the Flip Festival. We sometimes have to pinch ourselves, because seeing our own independent design come to fruition – and seeing people really respond to it – often feels like a dream!

Looking back on how far we’ve come, with only a few weeks left before launch, it’s hard to believe where all the time went. White Night, our little pet project that came to life while sharing a bar table, will finally be available for download on 4th March on PS4 for £11.99/€14.99. We hope you enjoy your stay at the mansion!

White Night_Sony Blog_4

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

31 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first

a456435335345334 2 February, 2015 @ 2:03 pm   1

ERM the video you posted is private

Was hoping for a PS4 release ever since MS showed it at their E3 press conference. Fingers crossed for it being a PS+ title in March.

zalwelgoedgaan 2 February, 2015 @ 2:19 pm   3

OSome -> OhSome -> *apply an accent* -> AweSome

I FIGURED IT OUT.

alvar123456 2 February, 2015 @ 2:41 pm   4

And psvita?

Acquiescence 2 February, 2015 @ 2:42 pm   5

This looks great guys, really guy. Looking forward to playing it.

Andre-Veelt 2 February, 2015 @ 2:48 pm   6

looks interesting!
will check it out on release

Any chance for PSVita port?

StevenJamesHyde 2 February, 2015 @ 2:58 pm   8

The 5th instalment of Alone in the Dark… was that one of the good ones?

Christoff1985 2 February, 2015 @ 3:15 pm

Unfortunatelly not. In fact it was the worst one.
    But this game looks absolutelly amazing, so I keep my fingers crossed 🙂

Can’t wait!! Finally some classic survival horror to chew on!

residentSteve 2 February, 2015 @ 3:27 pm   10

Deserted mansion that’s original lol.

YottMan272 2 February, 2015 @ 3:30 pm   11

Love every bit of it. Mine!

Really loving the art-style. Very unique! Can’t wait to see more of it!

It really oozes style. I’m looking forward to this one!

SSJ4_Haruhi 2 February, 2015 @ 3:51 pm   14

I keep on seeing more and more games that I will eventually get for my PS4. 🙂

DazTheNinja 2 February, 2015 @ 5:08 pm   15

This game looks great – a definite day one purchase for me. The only think I dislike is the title font at the end of the trailers… Looks a bit cartoony for the tone of the game.

TrueMurton 3 February, 2015 @ 7:45 am

Cartoony? Looks like Frank Millers Sin City to me, a fantastic graphic novel with a really strong art style. I’m definitely interested in this but that price point might be a bit high considering its right after Dying Light and not far away from Borderlands 2 Handsome Edition.

It’ll be in the Summer sale or an autumn plus game, I can wait.

DazTheNinja 3 February, 2015 @ 9:22 am

I think cartoony was the wrong choice of word. Haha. The font style doesn’t seem to match the tone of the game. The game looks eerie, dark and like it takes itself serious, wheras the font at the end of the trailer doesn’t give off those vibes to me. I wouldn’t look at that logo and think that the game is the way it is.
    I know I’m being a bit picky with it… Like I said though, the game looks amazing and I’ll definitely be getting it day one – glad titles like this are available on the PS4.

Hrimgrimnir 2 February, 2015 @ 5:12 pm   16

Is 14.99€ the new price point for all indie games?

TrueMurton 3 February, 2015 @ 7:43 am

Seems so. Indie developers can keep claiming that its all about the gameplay and that they won’t pull the sort of BS that the main industry will but they’ve all jumped on board with the 40% “new gen tax” that the big publishers have in Europe.

This is one of the chief reasons why that pricing FAQ that Fred said he would try to do was so important, but apparently that’s not happening now and we’re seeing even more examples of strange pricing that makes me think SCEE is directly involved in our paying more, some recent examples:

* Mars Attacks was announced as £8 right here on the blog less than 24 hours before it was released at £8.49 – Jawad claimed at the time that the developer made a mistake but find me another game that cost £8.49. The developer also responded on twitter that he had “no idea” why the price was different to what was promised.
    * Castlestorm PS4: hit the store some 50% higher than its developer announced price in both US and EU, the US team reduced it to the developer announced price, EU did not resulting in our paying almost double the US price, again Jawad claimed that the developer made a mistake on their blog post but the developer insists that they didn’t.
    * Laughing Jackal recently said that they’d “ask” about the exchange rate and try to get us a price as close to the US one as possible but admitted that they “didn’t know how much influence they had” – when I challenged them on this they got defensive about and accused me of calling it a conspiracy, they didn’t post back on their thread after that.

So we have the SCEE team telling us that publishers set pricing, but indie developers are finding their prices changed or suggesting that they have no control over pricing. Given the sort of stuff we see from the SCEE team I’m sad to say that I cannot simply take them at their word on this, there’s definitely some price adjustment going on at the SCEE end to increase their cut to offset the reduced revenue from not having a price increase in the US and Japan regions.

I don’t expect the price disparity will be corrected, but it would be nice if someone at SCEE would be a man and simply admit to their involvement and that its deliberate. At least then we know why and can factor that into our purchasing decisions.

Sparky_447 6 February, 2015 @ 4:47 pm

SCEE wouldn’t have said publishers set the pricing, as the retailer they have full control at what level its set. The developer/publisher set a wholesale price like any other business and then SCEE decide on a margin.

Witcher70 2 February, 2015 @ 6:52 pm   17

I’m in ! roll on 4th March 🙂

Shinra225 3 February, 2015 @ 4:39 am   18

I’ll be the unpopular one I guess. It looks like Madworld for the Wii in the art style, it probably uses a similar amount of processing power too. We all know it’ll be better (and cheaper) on another platform on the day of release. Unless this game is being given away on Playstation Plus I just don’t understand why Sony would release a high powered console just to present us a bunch of Indie games. Black and White should be left back in the stone age (or restricted to the PC).

Fethennour 3 February, 2015 @ 8:37 am   19

The concept looks interesting, and if I might add, intriguing. I may buy this game day one, I’m pretty sure I won’t regret it.

Sparky_447 3 February, 2015 @ 5:49 pm   20

Atmosphere in this game looks incredible. As far as games as art go, this is definitely up there. Very exciting!

Looks great, I’m a fan of stories set in that time period.

dieselakita 10 February, 2015 @ 1:40 am   22