Posted

Watch the first 18 minutes of Bloodborne

Check out the opening stages of the forthcoming PS4 exclusive

The IGN First for February 2015 is Bloodborne, and I couldn’t be more excited about that. As a huge fan of the Souls series, I jumped at the chance to helm this project. In preparation for our month of coverage, we flew to Japan to visit the offices of From Software, as well as Sony Japan Studio, and let me tell you, we have so many awesome things in the works.

We’re proud to kick off the month with the first 18 virtually uninterrupted minutes of Bloodborne. I could gush on and on about how great the opening is, but honestly, the footage speaks for itself. The capture is from a slightly older build and the game is still under development, so definitely be aware of that if you notice a rough edge or two.

The rest of February is going to be packed with amazing reveals, including brand-new enemies, crazy new environments, and so much more. We sat down with Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne director Hidetaka Miyazaki and picked his brain about what makes his games so appealing to us masochists. And of course, we spent hours going hands-on with a good chunk of the game (spoilers, we died a lot).

So sit back, relax, and prepare for the hunt.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

43 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

No thanks, no spoilers for me!

I would but YouTube vita.

Is still functional and you can use the web browser version as well?

The mobile version of YouTube works very well on the PS Vita browser imo.

Though still disappointing to see the app going away in a few months. 🙁 I don’t understand why they have to outright disable it.

residentSteve 2 February, 2015 @ 8:14 pm

Or just use your smart phone, tablet or PS3/4 for YouTube 🙂

Andre-Veelt 2 February, 2015 @ 5:36 pm   3

looks awesome :).
Marty Sliva keep up the good work at IGN :D.

Never rotating third chair, Beyond 😉

leonardobrand 2 February, 2015 @ 5:42 pm   4

cool 🙂

I loved it, even though I expected the visuals to be more “next-gen’y”. All in all, I’m still waiting on my toes.

Right watched most of it.
No more as it’s already a dead certain purchase.
One thing i don’t like is the voice acting. Im english but here in england we have the worst video game voice actors. Everyone sounds super camp or from somerset or lord of the rings. It’s annoying.

roll on March!

If only because it won’t be so darn cold then!

And here I was, thinking the day couldn’t get any worse. I just read that Sony sold off their gaming division, Sony Online Entertainment, to some no name 3 man company, an “investment management firm.” As if it wasn’t bad, they right out said they will be making games for Xbox One now. You like H1Z? Xbox One. DC Universe? Xbox. Planetside 2? Playst… nope, Xbox One. Maybe you are excited for Everquest Next? Get it on Xbox One.

Sony Online Entertainment? More like, Another Company Favouring Xbox One More Online Entertainment.

Someone pleas tell me it’s just April Fool’s Day https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/562305663083098112

X_Blood_Curse_X 2 February, 2015 @ 6:59 pm

No-one cares about those games. Say Planetside 2 goes to Xbox one aswell as PS4, so what? They never said they were Xbox One exclusive all of a sudden. This changes nothing to us Playstation gamers

I don’t see why that’s bad.

They’ll still make games for PC & PlayStation. Just now for Xbox as well, without giving up PC & PlayStation.

Only a good thing imo, since if you own an Xbox One and not a high-end PC or PS4, you’ll be able to play SOE games as well!

And obviously considering they’re an MMO dev, PC will remain their core platform for developing games.

I do wonder why they sold them though. I keep hearing publishers say that there’s a lot of growth left in mobile and online PC games, so it seems weird to sell a high-profile MMO developer. Apparently PlanetSide 2 had high operation costs and they are only making profit on it since a few weeks (this is what John Smedley said in a Reddit AMA).

X_Blood_Curse_X 2 February, 2015 @ 7:09 pm

I’ll give you one thing though, these guys seem really unprofessional…

If you go to Columbus Nova’s main page it either doesn’t work or it’s simple, showing only 3 people as their “team.” This company smells so fake it’s not even funny. RIP Sony Online games.

Pretty neat to see an IGN editor write something for PlayStation Blog! 🙂

But hey, why not. I think Marty Sliva is an IGN editor with great taste in video games as well.

Game looks great by the way. Couldn’t resist watching.

The graphics aren’t mindblowing and don’t look that good (compared to standards set by other games), but okay, the fantastic art direction and the game as a whole seems to make up for it.

I had the Nightmare Edition pre-ordered from Amazon Deutschland for a wallet torching €130, watching the first 5 minutes of this video was all it took to make me open another tab, sign in to my account and cancel it.

Sorry, not for me 🙁

Good. It would have been a shame if you would have been disappointed by it.

Different strokes, different folks! 🙂

Loyalchas 2 February, 2015 @ 7:36 pm

I’m still far more hopeful for The Order though, which funnily enough I also have a special edition of pre-ordered! This from Amazon America because their super sexy Collectors Edition that ain’t even available over here in Europe was only $80! Even with $10 shipping and the $18 excise duty taken for our money grabbing masters in the European Parliament that’s still around £72/€95, only problem is does take about 10 days to reach here but such is life hohum

Loyalchas 2 February, 2015 @ 7:42 pm

Why is my reply awaiting moderation, please don’t tell me it was because of one of the adjectives I used……..

I’m still far more hopeful for The Order though, which funnily enough I also have a special edition of pre-ordered! This from Amazon America because their super ‘hexy’ Collectors Edition that ain’t even available over here in Europe was only $80! Even with $10 shipping and the $18 excise duty taken for our money grabbing masters in the European Parliament that’s still around £72/€95, only problem is does take about 10 days to reach here but such is life hohum

Loyalchas 2 February, 2015 @ 7:45 pm

Oh dear, indeed it was lol well clearly I’m too hexy for this blog

:(. You have not played the Soul series before?

residentSteve 2 February, 2015 @ 8:17 pm   10

So far is it me or does this game look a little dull lol, the graphics look very ps2 imo.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/VQLGJOL.gif[/img]

spookyjackbauer3 2 February, 2015 @ 10:33 pm   12

I don’t know what I’m seeing here as this looks generic and bland. I know its the first section but there are 3 enemy types over and over again killed by the same dodge and strike move.

Plus the “Hero” wields a handbag. I don’t think this will be for me.

Simply stunning.

I appreciate this is still in development, but graphically the game is definitely a step back from what we have seen so far, I’m really underwhelmed by the character model and some of the environments. Looks like so far they used the nighttime setting to hide the poor texture and modelling work. I’ll play the game nonetheless, but I would expect a bit more polish this close to release date.

“The capture is from a slightly older build and the game is still under development, so definitely be aware of that if you notice a rough edge or two.”

No idea how old the build is or if it will look better at release, but the above is taken from the text…

Looks fantastic! As a firm Souls series fan, I can’t help watching the footage, even though I am a person who very much loves to thoroughly discover the game myself without any spoiling materials. Damn!

Looks very dated already to me. Poor character animation and movement, just look at it run down the stairs (what stairs), it really fails to make it feel like you are in the environment; reams of on screen text, ugh….

jarekmasta 3 February, 2015 @ 4:12 pm   17

I don’t get people, first 18 minutes of a game still in development and so many judgmental comments. I’d understand if those were PC gamers trolling graphics of PS4 but , calling this ps2 graphics is so absurd that it can’t even be called trolling. So sad for the people who only see the graphics of a game. That’s totally not what it’s about in gaming. I can feel the DeS in this, the atmosphere is epic! I know I will be getting this and I will be having hours and hours of fun!

residentSteve 3 February, 2015 @ 5:45 pm

It’s not trolling it’s just my opinion of the game so far it does look a little like a ps2 game in terms of graphics but who knows it may look better with a bit more development time.

jarekmasta 3 February, 2015 @ 6:30 pm

Check out the guy named Prodigious alpha gameplay of Bloodborne on YT, the game looks much better there and those vids are 4 months old, I believe this indeed is an old build, unless the night and day differes so much in quality of graphics.

@residentSteve, you should go to specsavers, mate.

residentSteve 3 February, 2015 @ 9:19 pm

@Tee_Doff my eye sight is perfectly fine when I look at other games lol.

Carlo_Marx 3 February, 2015 @ 5:18 pm   18

Marty “Silva”? Who the heck is that? Last time I checked, the best beard in the business was owned by Marty Sliva.