Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype lands on PS Vita this week

Sidequest Studio’s acclaimed Cross Buy-enabled shmup goes portable

Hi everybody! This is Marcus from SideQuest Studios with some good news for PS Vita fans and shmup lovers!

I’m excited to announce that we are releasing an updated version of Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype along with the “The Last Chapter” expansion for PS Vita and PlayStation TV this week . For those of you unfamiliar with the Söldner-X 2 series hopefully this trailer will get you up to speed.

While some of you are eager to face the challenge, others might be worried that Söldner-X 2 is one of those insanely difficult bullet hell shooters. We love shmups and wanted to make the genre a little more accessible to new players. Söldner-X 2 includes a unique feature we call the Play Rank System, which automatically adjusts the game’s difficulty level while you are playing. This even occurs mid-level so inexperienced players are likely to encounter less enemies, fewer bullets and take less damage. On the other hand, when your skills improve the game will become more challenging to match your ability and reward you with much higher scores.

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

Speaking of high scores, every run can be uploaded to our servers meaning that replay files from other players are available to be downloaded and played back on your PS Vita. That way, instead of wondering “How did they get such a high score!?” you can now watch their run and find out.

To make things more exciting for existing fans, (and a bit fairer on new players!), the PS Vita version will have a completely fresh high score table and added tracking for additional stats. Ever wanted to know how many total enemies have been killed or see a detailed breakdown of your friends’ activity? Head over to www.soldner-x.com/sx2 and check it out. There is still an active battle for high scores on the PS3 version so we’re really excited to see who will rise to the top of the leaderboards!

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

We put a lot of effort into making Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype look as great on PS Vita as it did on PS3 and worked really hard to ensure the game runs at a constant 60fps without compromise. Even with hundreds of bullets and enemies on screen, you will be able to enjoy the game without any slowdown. We also want to say a big thank you to the guys over at Sony for their support during our tricky engine optimisations.

The game will be available this Wednesday for €9.99 with the DLC priced at €4.99. You can also pick both up in one bundle for €12.99. Söldner-X 2 is Cross-Buy, meaning that if you already own the game on PS3, you can download it for free for PS Vita and PlayStation TV.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and for checking out our game. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments below.

Soldner-X2_Vita_09

23 Comments
10 Author replies
NorthlanderGT 16 March, 2015 @ 13:13

Day one for me! Been waiting for this for ages it feels. The Vita has been in dire need for a traditional arcade shump for quite a while, and as I enjoyed this on my PS3, the vita is where it will really come into it’s own!

Great news :). Always wanted to play this on my vita :).

Really looking forward to this :) SHMUPs and I aren’t best friends though….they refuse to let me win :P

Marcus Pukropski 16 March, 2015 @ 14:04
4.1

There is a dynamic difficulty system, that adjusts the game to your playing style. You shouldn’t have any problems to complete the game. It’s only hard if you want achieve high scores.

60fps makes a world of difference (looking at you, vita-resogun!) definitely picking this one up if you manage to deliver what’s promised

Marcus Pukropski 16 March, 2015 @ 14:00
5.1

Thanks, I really had a hard time making sure everything will run at stable 60 fps, so very glad when you guys appreciate that:)

zalwelgoedgaan 16 March, 2015 @ 14:26

CROSSBUY?! 60 FPS!? YEEEEEEEES!!

I already have it on PS3 but I still have to play it. x_x Guess I’ll start with the Vita version! Thanks for putting in the extra effort, it really makes a difference.

Can you put it now in the store,please?
Day one for me.It looks awesome.My vita smiles.

Marcus Pukropski 16 March, 2015 @ 15:29
7.1

I wish I could:) But waiting is almost over;)

LieutenantFatman 16 March, 2015 @ 15:46

Looks fun! Will this version have a platinum trophy to hunt for?

Marcus Pukropski 16 March, 2015 @ 16:02
8.1

Unfortunately not, I’m afraid. It’s classified as a “short scope” game although you can play much longer and there are tons of challenges, extra weapons, stuff to unlock, collections and even more replay value.

But there are specific conditions a game must fulfil to feature a platinum trophy.

Our RPG title Rainbow Moon does have a platinum trophy and our upcoming new RPG RainbowSkies will most likely feature one.

Feel free to check our product sites, if you’re interested in these games:

LieutenantFatman 16 March, 2015 @ 16:12
8.2

Thank you for the detailed reply! I managed to attain the plat for Rainbow Moon recently, good fun. Looking forward to seeing what Rainbow Skies brings. I really appreciate you bringing your games to the Vita, always nice to see these sorts of games on there.

Marcus Pukropski 16 March, 2015 @ 16:24
8.3

Awesome and congratulations to your platinum for Rainbow Moon:)

Show more replies

Neat.

mommylicious245 16 March, 2015 @ 18:01

I would love you to release it in physical format on ps3 or ps4, even limited run would be cool.
I just don’t want it to get lost in few years when Sony switches off ps3 servers .it’s too good of Shmup to loose and would be criminal.
Please share your thoughts on that Marcus Pukropski.

Marcus Pukropski 16 March, 2015 @ 19:19
10.1

I agree it would be nice to have a disc/card version of the title. But the truth is, it’s only worth the effort when the title is really successful. That is because the structure of distribution is much more complex for boxed titles. For example, you need a dedicated publisher in every country or territory which is something we don’t have at the moment.

For us, as a small and independent developer together with eastasiasoft as publisher, digital distribution is much easier and more efficient. It also has to do with financial risks, but I can’t go into detail here.

I wouldn’t worry because of the PSN. It doesn’t look like PSN servers will shut down in the next decade and even in this unlikely case, all our games are still running offline and you can make backups of the games on USB discs or sticks.

Hope that helps.

10.2

@mommy: they can’t shut down the PS3 servers, because there’s no such thing as “PS3 servers”. Playstation Network covers all systems, servers are shared between all of them. And no, they didn’t shut down PSN on PSP, that was just the Store app, but you can still use other means to buy content. And no, Playstation Mobile had nothing to do with PSN, the games weren’t even buyable on any other Store except from Vita.

10.3

And Marcus, there’s currently no practical way to backup your games on PS3 or Vita, and possibly PS4. It’s either all or nothing :( i wish they implemented a system like Steam or any other PC digital client.

Great SHMUP game on the PS3, had the DLC and Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer. Will Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer also come to the PS ViTA? What will the next PS ViTA SHMUP title? What is the next project? Would be nice to see some old school SHMUP titles from the PS1/PSP remade in HD for the PS ViTA/PS4 :) I’m sure you guys are more than capable in giving us some new or HD SHMUP in general. BTW Thanks Alot for Cross Buy and I hope you bring us something else soon, so that I can invest again in your titles :)

Marcus Pukropski 16 March, 2015 @ 21:24
11.1

Thanks for all your questions:
1.) A Himmelsstürmer port to any platform is very unlikely.
2.) We’re currently very happy with creating our Rainbow series, so there are no plans for new shoot’em-ups, I’m sorry.
3.) We’re currently working on our new SRPG Rainbow Skies, which is a very big production for our team size. Feel free to check out our game related sites for additional info:

CitizenEldar 16 March, 2015 @ 19:58

As a fan of the Rainbow moon, I’m in!

leathelbigedd 16 March, 2015 @ 23:31

Loved both shooters on the PS3.Cant wait for this Wednesday and play it on my vita.
God bless you for porting it to the vita and 60fps,I salute your team sir;)

Just a small hint, it is really hard to search for Söldner-X in the browser-based PSN store, neither “Söldner”, “Soldner”, “Söldner-X” nor “Soldner-X” returns any hits (some games might show up below the search bar while typing, but when hitting enter, the search results page is always empty, this is a problem since there are more games than slots in the bar). This might not be an issue within the first few weeks, where the game gets visibility through the “New releases” section, but it might be a big problem later. You should check with Sony to resolve the problem.

Marcus Pukropski 17 March, 2015 @ 11:15
14.1

Thanks for pointing this out, will forward this to our publisher.

14.2

I don’t think they’ll chance anything at this point, just sayin’. Currently the easiest way to find both games on the browser store is to write “himmel” and “final prototype” respectively. :(

Well I am sold on this, love R-Type style games and 60fps is an incredible feat on Vita!

leathelbigedd 18 March, 2015 @ 00:52

It’s available now on the UK PS store,just downloaded the two files at 0010:)

leathelbigedd 18 March, 2015 @ 03:37

Been playing the vita version for an hour or so.
The 60fps is silky smooth and backdrops are excellent.
The music is superb(level 2),really shows what the vita is capable of with a 2D shooter:) Excellent port of the PS3 version.
Now if only we had a port of Gradius V;);)

Marcus Pukropski 18 March, 2015 @ 08:01
17.1

Thanks for your feedback and very glad you like it:)

Wow, never thought this would be cross-buy with the ‘old’ ps3 version I bought many years ago. Almost feels like I’m ripping you off ;]
Will buy the DLC just to support you guys because this is such a good game. And 60fps on vita, just fantastic.

+1 for a physical release. Retro City Rampage managed to release in a very limited number on PS4 sold only on a specific webstore, so maybe its possible to make a release just for the fans? =] Now get to work and make that PS4 port happen! ^^
Thank you!

Marcus Pukropski 19 March, 2015 @ 17:04
18.1

Many thanks for your support:)

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history