PS4 system update 2.50 features detailed; available today

Find out what to expect from the forthcoming “Yukimura” update

Tomorrow PlayStation 4 will get an update to system software version 2.50, codenamed “Yukimura,” which will bring an onslaught of new features: some you’ve been anticipating, many you’ve requested and others that might surprise you.

This update will make significant improvements to your PS4 experience, making it even more streamlined and enjoyable. Following the update, you’ll be able to smoothly pick games up right where you left off, find and connect with friends quicker, customise your experience and share your most epic moments in a more meaningful way.

PlayStation 4 v2.50 update

Features coming to PS4 with “Yukimura” include:

•  Suspend/Resume: Supported by nearly all of your PS4 games, you can jump in and out of your games with just the press of the PS button.  Quickly switch from Rest Mode to powered-up so you can pick up where you left off.
  •  Back-up and restore HDD to USB: Back-up and restore your hard disc drive data associated with users on your PS4, including settings, saved data, screenshots and video clips as well as games, patches and download data, to and from an external USB drive.
  •  Find and connect with friends: “Yukimura” adds to an already robust set of social tools, bringing several updates to continue making PS4 the best place to play with your friends, including:
    •  Facebook friend finder – Using your linked account, you can expand your network by searching and connecting with your Facebook friends.
    •  Improved friend requests – Friend requests and Real Name requests can be sent together in one step when adding a friend on PS4.
    •  Streamlined Party process – The process to create a Party has been streamlined with a reduction in the number of steps required.
    •  Find friends who play your games – Easily view what friends are playing on each game detail page with a real-time “Friends Who Play This” section, which also highlights which friends are currently online and playing it, and allows you to jump directly into the game.
    •  Join Friends directly from news feed – A new tile will be added on your What’s New feed where you can see what your friends are currently playing, enabling you to join in the game if you own it.
  •  Share earned trophies and optimise your trophy list: We know that Trophies are important to many gamers, so we’re bringing more control with how you show them off:
    •  Automatic Trophy screenshots – A screenshot will automatically be captured when a Trophy is earned, preserving the moment to share with friends.
    •  SHARE Trophies – Players can share Trophy information to Facebook, Twitter or via Message by pressing the SHARE button.
    •  Additional Trophy sorting options – Sort your Trophy list by Earned Date, Not Earned and Grade.
    •  Delete 0% Trophies – Remove games from your Trophy list that have zero percent completion.
  •  Improved and expanded accessibility options: New options added to customise the user experience include:
    •  Customised button assignments for DUALSHOCK 4.
    •  Zoom for displayed pictures and inverted colors for all system functions, apps and in-game.
    •  Text-to-speech for all graphical user interface, including Message and Party.
    •  Enlarged text for all graphical user interface, including Message and Party, as well as the system’s browser.
    •  Bolder fonts and higher contrast UI for all system applications (but will not apply to games or third-party applications).
  • Remote Play and Share Play: For games that support 60 fps, users will be able to automatically enjoy those games with 60fps for both Remote Play and Share Play* on supported devices.
  • Automatic installation for system software updates: Enable automatic installation for future system software updates.
  • Sub-account upgrade: Enable users 18 years of age or older with sub-accounts to upgrade to a master account directly on PS4, removing restrictions on chat and enabling users to add funds to their Wallet, purchase content and more.
  • Verified Accounts: Select game developers, producers, designers and community managers will be verified with a badge.
  • Dailymotion: Upload video clips directly to Dailymotion via the SHARE button.

PlayStation Vita and PlayStation App for smartphones and tablets will also receive system software updates tonight, adding complementary features to those added to PS4. PS Vita update version 3.50 and PlayStation App update version 2.50 will add new accessibility options, including enlarged text, increased contrast and more. This update also enables PS Vita to support 60fps streaming for Remote Play.

We’re excited for you to get your hands on these new features and experience them for yourselves. You have all been such a big part of our successes, and we have carefully listened to your requests to make your PlayStation experiences even better. We’re happy to be delivering many of them with “Yukimura.” Please keep the feedback flowing, so we can continue making PlayStation 4 the best place to play.

472 Comments
17 Author replies

Hell yeah for deleting 0% trophylists!

Also, it is possible for you guys to add a function so we can disable to the whole “People you may know” feature? It’s freaking annoying.

1.1

I agree with this. that thing isn’t needed and is just using up room. at least give us the option of displaying it instead of forcing stuff like this on us :/

Also needed is: Favorites coming online notifications
Appearing offline
Re-design the library it’s a damn mess
instead of having the library at the end put it at the beginning beside whats new
Folders
Video Playback
Option to turn the dualshock light completely off

oh and while you’re at it fix SCEE as a whole

1.2

@Roxas i agree with all of those, especially the appear offline and turning off the light bar (such a battery drainer that i just keep the usb hooked up to the controller all the time now)

@Roxas:
I hope they don’t listen to your library suggestion. I never use it (as you already state: it’s a mess anyway) and don’t plan on doing so. I’m really, really glad it’s all the way at the end! Instead, give us the option to make folders. Why would one even need the library then anyway?

backup and restore!!!!!
finally!!
customizable folders for the xmb, and dlna next?
but seriously, thank you for backup and restore option. maybe now i can upgrade my hdd :)

2.1

Be careful!

It may not let you ‘restore’ to a different hard drive than the one you backed up from. I had this issue on PS3!

2.2

What the HELL are you talking about, Bovrillor? You’re supposed to upgrade your HDD with that option!

StefNighthawk 25 March, 2015 @ 13:19
2.3

Bovrillor – I always used “Backup and Restore” on my PS3 to upgrade the HDD and never had an issue.

Great improvements :)

Now for PS1/2 classics please :)

3.1

Agreed!!!

X_Blood_Curse_X 27 March, 2015 @ 13:32
3.2

I also agree! Realise i’m late to this post but I’m not buying anything from Playstation Now, but i’ll continue to buy PS2/PS1 games on the store if we get a regular emulator like PS3 (Please?!)

What about PSTV? Will that get an update, so that “Remote Play” works at 60FPS?

4.1

Hi, thanks for the question. PS Vita and PSTV will support as part of the 3.50 update. You will need to install 2.50 on PS4 and 3.50 on your PSTV.

4.2

That’s great news! :-) Thanks for the reply.

4.3

And with that, I have now ordered a PSTV!

Whoop.

‘Yukimura’ has shown up sooner than I expected. Will post feedback after updating tomorrow.

5.1

Carried out the update smoothly, and no problems in the installation process.

I’m not really into the social features or trophy fanaticism, but OK, they seem reasonable for a vast majority.

Suspend/resume is the feature I was looking forward to the most. After updating the PS4, I played FIFA 15.

The scenario was: an easy pass from Van Persie to Wayne Rooney, for a shot from outside the box. I took the shot, tried to add some finesse to it. I then paused the game as the ball was half way to the goal. I put the console in rest mode. I went downstairs, made a sandwich (I’m now out of ham and cheese), then went back upstairs to carry on playing.

Switched the console back on, resumed FIFA 15. Rooney’s shot was just wide of the post, but the pause/resume feature worked.

Means i’ll be waiting a few days without updating so that other people test the update for me before I risk installing it..
Not that there’s anything to play on it anyway..

xxSamuraiGirlxx 25 March, 2015 @ 11:46
6.1

“Not that there’s anything to play on it anyway..”

That’s too bad for you I guess…

6.2

Just this week you have Bloodborne, Toukiden and Borderlands, which is what 600+ hours of game play. Nothing to play are you having a laugh?

6.3

I’m talking about good games. There’s Toukiden but that’s 20euros more expensive on ps4 than Vita for no reason

AdmiralBobbery 25 March, 2015 @ 11:13

Quick question regarding the customised button assignments on the DS4. Will the change button assignments carry over to the Vita in remote play?

I thought this would be a given, but unfortunately I tried it this morning and apparently it’s not the case.

Maybe in a future patch you guy can add this, John Booth?

Please can you consider expanding the trophy percentage to 5-10%, some games give you trophies in tutorials and you sometimes end up not liking the game anyway and its stuck in your trophy list, it would be nice to delete any game that is between 0 and 10%

8.1

I 100% agree. There is a few games I’ve got a couple of trophies for that I have either sold or not going to play again. I’m sure this would be a popular request.

8.2

Probably not going to happen since it would disrupt the rarity values and PSN score

8.3

I’d rather want 0% trophy deletion on PS3 and Vita, too.

Show more replies

Will we have a detailed post like this one about the new/removed features the PS Vita 3.50 firmware will bring tomorrow ?

9.1

REALLY wish they’d add control remapping to Remote Play as well. Some games are just unplayable (like Geometry Wars 3, for example) and Sony forces stupid restrictions on developers making custom remote play schemes.

madmanwithabox12 25 March, 2015 @ 15:40
9.2

Sony? Can we get a response to this please? It would be nice to know what’s actually happening with Vita.

Also an option for friends online (and to those with many many friends, have this feature be one we can toggle on and off)

Please allow us to change our PSN IDs in the next big firmware update.

11.1

/\ THIS

11.2

They have addressed why you aren’t able to do that at the moment. Their response was to protect the community against the toxic members. Don’t ask me why that is a good reason, I read it on IGN after they had interviewed someone from Sony about it.
So I doubt we will such a feature on PSN for some time.
They could do like Steam, that you have 1 unchangeable ID (Login ID) and one that is displayed. Maybe also have the Login ID displayed on the profile, or some other way.

11.3

If they do allow that, it’ll end up like Steam with people changing their names on a daily basis to absolutely inane things. No thanks.

Show more replies

How about having uncompressed screenshots in PNG format?

ShadowriverUB 25 March, 2015 @ 20:05
12.1

Theres no such thing as uncompressed PNG, PNG is compression format by itself and you can only set level of compression. If you wan fully uncompressed format you want save in bitmap (BMP) format

MoMo-Snip-01 26 March, 2015 @ 14:00
12.2

I want gif file directly into 4chan

Still can’t play/upload music from a CD.

One_Shot_KiIIer 25 March, 2015 @ 15:13
13.1

The USB music player works fine, I bought a 32gb & I’ve not had a problem with my music on the PS4!

I also have a dedicated mp3 USB player for PS4, but my PS3 can play mp3s AND videos OFF HDD! PS3’s old slogan of “It only does everything” actually makes PS4 look like it’s gone backwards. It was a multimedia and gaming machine, unlike PS4 which is just an advanced yet barebones gaming console. A next-gen 2015 console is still less useful than some outdated 2007 hardware, it’s ridiculous.

13.3

It can’t play vinyl either :'(

Oh, can we have an option to remove the “people you may know” header on the friends list. It gets on my t*ts. Lol

14.1

Whoops, sorry; someone else already posted about this.

14.2

I know what you mean. Since my friends list is quite small, I keep getting the same people all the time. Remove it Sony, remove it! (Or Give us the option to anyway)

When will the feature for you to be able to see people coming online or offline be added like happened on the ps3? Could add it as an optional feature in notifications settings if needs be but it’s something that’s useful as I’d like to know who’s on at any point for something like GTA Online.

Great – I expect v2.01 to be released early next week then :)

16.1

Go backwards? This is update 2.50… try to be funny all you want, but at least get the numbers right ;)

But really great with suspend/resume – finally :)

Hopefully custom folders will be in a update in the near future…

Artemisthemp 25 March, 2015 @ 11:29

Looking forward to getting ride of some of the 0% trophy list :)
Wish I could get ride of 1 % also.

SERGEANT-Q6R 25 March, 2015 @ 11:31

Wow,wow

Big step in the right direction (although you’ve promised some options to be on the device wayyy before launch = about time…!), but not quite there yet. I still feel my PS3 has more options and is better in use than my PS4. Cheers on the trophy deletion option, but where’s the option to hide trophy sets (like the PS3 has)?
Pls let us make folders… just like… on PS3. It’s way more userfriendly, certainly if you have quite a lot of games.

Of course, the main thing in this update is the suspend/resume option. I’m really glad we’re finally able to use this option! Just hope it’ll work on most, if not all, games and not just be a fun gimmick like SharePlay (sounds fun, often doesn’t work due to overprotective developers – not even when both players own the game…!!).

Back-up/restore: I was so surprised this wasn’t there from the start.. Seemed like such a logical and normal option to have…?

Show full comment

The rest of the features: I hope some of the other users will appreciate them. Somehow I think most of them will rather be annoying than helpful to me….

Stargater2010 25 March, 2015 @ 13:38
20.1

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/privacy.html here you can find where to hide trophies on ps4.

20.2

Stargater, thank you for pointing this out! It’ll probably save me quite some time; instead of doing this on my PS3. Even though I still use my PS3 quite frequently: it takes forever to synch in online mode! I’m glad of the major improvement herein on PS4…!

Nice updates! Off topic but will the PSTV be receiving any updates in the near future?
Very tempted to get one but from what I’ve read it doesn’t seem to have reached it’s full potential just yet.

21.1

I have one, and for me the remote play function is what I use it for the majority of the time; I have a family and having the option to play the PS4 in a different room is great. Saves on many an argument! :-)

The ability to play PSP games on the TV is good, I’m currently playing through Y’s 7. Which is cool.

But actual VITA compatibility is grim…

21.2

Thanks for the reply. I’m completely with you on the remote play as that’s the main reason I’d use it, although I’ve heard the connection is a bit sketchy—are you using it wired?

21.3

Yeah, over Ethernet. It still has a bit of a “Speed Wobble” from time to time though. The lag is the biggest issue. If you’re playing games that require quick reflex/button presses, then there are issues.

Driveclub is ok until you start driving the faster cars, then the lag is a huge issue as you need to react more quickly. Shadow of Mordor is pretty bad as it requires you to press the triangle button to counter attack… you can do it, but you have to preempt the button prompt. If that makes sense? Lol

Are there any games in particular that you play? I can let you know what the game is like via remote play on PSTV. I have a few games. :-)

Show more replies

Will you guys ever add 0% trophy deletion to PS3 and Vita, too? Since most useless trophies came from there.

22.1

You’ll have to upgrade to PS4. ;)

22.2

Really “useful” reply…

22.3

You can delete the trophies through the playstation app on your phone if not.
with the new update

Show more replies

Great update, some very useful features.

Now all i need is DLNA and i think i will be set :)

StevenJamesHyde 25 March, 2015 @ 11:42

I’m assuming that you’ll be able to delete PS3/Vita games with 0% trophies, but this will have to be done from a PS4, is that correct?

24.1

Hi. You can use your PS4 or PS App to delete any 0% Trophies from PSN. However, Trophy Data local to your PS3 and PS Vita will not be deleted.

HighflyerVII 25 March, 2015 @ 13:20
24.2

@John – does that mean that if you deleted a 0% game (PS3 say) from PSN, and then synchronized from that PS3 would it then return on PSN? Or if the server is then told to ignore that trophy list, what happens if you then earn a trophy? Would it be unsyncable?

24.3

That doesn’t make much sense. Hopefully you have put a delete flag that once we synchronize the trophies removes them locally as well. Also another couple of things: why not a web option? And please, allow to delete at list the trophies with less than 5%. I don’t want to have the shame of COD showing up in my played list forever just because I started it by mistake with my account. :p

TicKMYPicK3030 25 March, 2015 @ 11:44

Very nice! Any chance of getting friend notifications when a user is signing on/off? Perhaps as a notification preference allowing users to turn it on or off depending if they like the feature?

Still missing DLNA Media Server Support :(

spacedelete2 25 March, 2015 @ 11:51

when will we get PS1 and PS2 emulation ? PS4 can easily emulate those consoles so give us that feature. also DLNA and video player are needed.

27.1

THIS right here. Come on Sony, PS4 is the FIRST PlayStation console after PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita that DOESN’T play PS1 games. What is going on there? And I understand PS Now and all that but we don’t have that yet AND we have no idea when it will support PS1 or PS2 games anyway.
You dropped the ball and it would have been something that put the PS4 ahead of Xbone getting you more great publicity at the same time.

27.2

The hardware could emulate it but they still have to write a good solid emulator for it which takes time. Something I wish was here but I don’t expect them to roll it out quickly.

dark_angel69 25 March, 2015 @ 11:53

Will the speed of sending and receiving messages be improved in this update? Half an hour to read a message is ridiculous on PS4 when PS3 only takes seconds.

28.1

When I first got the ps4 messages took for ever to send. And receive but Sony has since addressed this in a updat…. My messages send and deceive almost instantly now and has been for a long time

dark_angel69 26 March, 2015 @ 09:10
28.2

When did you get your PS4? I had mine two weeks after launch and it was working fine for me. The problem started when I got Destiny and it seems people in forums have been reporting the exact same thing. It started off as 5 minutes delay, then 10, 15 and now it’s over 30 minutes. The strange thing is that it works fine most of the time in the morning and afternoon but when it comes to the evening and night, that’s when it happens the worst.

And what about PS3? Any news regarding delete option for forced and annoying Singstar in XMB crap?

I cant believe so many users bang on and on about the Singstar icon. Is it really that much of a problem for you guys? I don’t even notice its there anymore, if i ever did.

29.2

Well for that guy is actually “personal” lol.

I’ll be just fine if they allow me to remove its 0% trophy list from my account.

Would rather you wait till a few weeks after Bloodborne to brick our consoles ;)

30.1

This update went through beta testing unlike the previous ones. Sony are learning from that mistake.

Streamlining creating a Party is good, I’ve always been frustrated at how many clicks it takes to create/invite people to parties.

ollie_uk_2008 25 March, 2015 @ 12:01

Whoop whoop!

There seems to be some good things in the update, also some things I am not going to use myself though.
Anyway it’s always good to see you guys taking it serious and giving us an update. Now we just need the blog people to take it serious too :P Just joking, or not completely… ^^ Don’t take it too hardly, however there have been some serious annoying issues.

Next we should have custom UI and HUD.
PC games have enjoyed this for ages so IMO it’s about time PlayStation get it too.

Great update. New features as well as improvements on existing ones. This should be a template for future updates.

urgh this makes me feel really nervous after 2.0. So. Close. To. Bloodborne.

DennisLWD-NL 25 March, 2015 @ 12:13

Where is the option to turn off the light on the Dualshock 4 controller? The battery is fast empty.

People need to listen as its already been explained that the light bar barely even touches the battery time, Its just a tiny little LED. Turn it off and maybe you will save about 5 mins.

37.2

if you want your battery to last, turn off the rumble feedback in the controller. Those motors chew through power.

Sweet!! Will be updating tomorrow and might leave some comments after updating. I would like to be able to remove games with a trophy percentage of 10% or below if at all possible. Good update and I totally did not expect it this soon.

ThunderRobot 25 March, 2015 @ 12:15

Backup and auto-update are welcome, but how about some media love?

Either make the existing PS3 remote work or create smartphone apps to allow us to control blu-ray and related media services without requiring a DS4.

The PS4 is the hub of my living room with things like Netflix, Amazon, Plex, iPlayer and so on. They’re great, but asking non-gamers to control them with a DS4 is not ideal. Especially when they were used to PS3 remote.

Can we not have an option to play your ipod through it like even the xbox360 had

STILL no HBO?! What are you waiting for?

41.1

America to conquer the EU so we are in the region HBO operates in.

I hope that with this update, I’ll finally be able to use Shareplay with my 6mbit upload line. Or at least get a decent report about why my connection would be too slow compared to the current non info error.

What about friend notifications when a friend has come online like on ps3

43.1

Please don’t!! I like the current PS4 system way over the PS3 system! All these notifications and social control b/c you can see how long it has been since one has been online on PS3 just bug me.

I suppose the screenshots of the trophies helps keep track of them somewhat, but could you please add offline trophy support for those of us who aren’t online.
Also a proper media player for the same reason as we can’t use the streaming services.

jmillgraphics 26 March, 2015 @ 10:00
44.1

I agree. It’s really annoying to check to see what you have left, only to be told you have to sign in first. This feature was on PS3. Pretty pretty please bring it back.

I hope the enlarged text is an option, not forced, because I hated it when it came to PS3. Made my HDTV look like standard resolution as everything was so big.

45.1

Hello. Large text and bold text are separate options, along with high contrast mode, zoom and inverted colours. These are all options that you can turn on through the Accessibility menu.

45.2

Thanks :)

I really like some of the new features :) There will always be things to improve on but this is a good start for me. Deleting 0% trophies was needed and the system resume should be good too.

I personally like the idea of being able to run a game in trial mode for 30 minutes or something where no matter what you don’t get the trophies. I hate it when I get a game, play it for 2 minutes, get a trophy and then decide I don’t like the game and I’m stuck with it. Certainly not needed but I think it would be cool :)

46.1

We should be allowed to remove online only games like MAG and SOCOM. My disks are just usless now that the servers are shut down, same with MotorStorm Pacific Rift. Those are trophies i’ll never get.

optimusprime1c 25 March, 2015 @ 12:29

What about pictures? I would like to download my pics in my ps4. Is it possible it would ever happen? & if it happens when?

Kurupt_El_Don 25 March, 2015 @ 12:35

Right..Great update without a doubt..thanks for the massive effort Sony..there is alot of moaners around here but hey just listen to your community,take your notes and take your time..just one question regarding the whole back up thing,can you download games to an external hard drive and play them from there??or it only works for saves,pics etc..??..thanks.

48.1

Allowing games to be put on an external drive opens up a plethora of security issues and could make reverse engineering and hacking the system easier.

It’s what happened to the PSP.

This is going to a much better update, great to see things finally moving toward what we were all expecting. The one thing i would say is why stop at baking up the data to external HDD how about letting us use those external drives as extra storage space because it hugely needed. Even expanding the internal to a 2tb drive wont last very long not with the size of the games these days and even retail disc based games demand a huge amount of storage space now.

Oh and one last thing I find it shocking its not already there but id like to be able to appear offline to my friends list, Xbox and Facebook etc has it. There are always those times when it is needed, for example, pulling a sick day from work and then getting caught on-line or telling someone your busy and out for the day so you can spend some quality gaming time and then you realise you can’t play on-line because people will know you lied.

*Backing up the data not baking lol

Terrordactyl 25 March, 2015 @ 15:50
49.2

Surely you can still play a Ps4 when you are sick?

I am sure you could do a lot of things whist sick/ill but if you had the day off work etc because you was so ill one would expect you to be at home getting rest and not spending the day playing games. Obviously it depends on the illness and the job you do but tbh we don’t need to look at it this deeply. There are many reasons for wanting privacy whist gaming. It surprises me that more users don’t request it.

Show more replies

Still no DLNA support?!? At this moment this is pretty ridiculous. Very,very dissapointing. I hope suspend resume feature will actually work.

50.1

Unlike the other updates, they actually had beta testers for this one.

50.2

Unlike the other updates, they actually had beta testers for this one.

Bring custom themes, change psn ID (once a year £2-£5), friend notification, appear offline

Kurupt_El_Don 25 March, 2015 @ 12:45

Right..thanks MaxDiehard..well if that’s the issue regarding downloading games into a external HD its fine by me.

So is this finally External HDD support now or do I have to expand my internal HDD if I want more space to save my games?

Cool update. Only really bothered about Suspend/Resume(well & Back-up & 0% Trophies to) :D

Hopefully next update will bring DLNA + Customize Folders would be ACE :P (really would love to name my Folders for games like you can on the PS3)

+ Any chance of making my Smart Phone a PS4 Remote to?(or bring out a normal PS4 Remote Control please) ;)

Still no video playback off external hard drive :/ that sucks. It was mentioned on the US blog by one of the guys as upcoming, why do you guys not want us to watch video on ps4, personally I think it would compliment the system nicely.

I think they want us to subscribe to everything and buy there own overpriced video. £1.89 per episode is wayyy to high if you ask me.

It would be nice to add the feature but im not too bothered myself, i have other devices for those needs and i’d rather not use my PS4 anyway, the less i use it the longer the it will last. So when possible i tend to use other devices unless its something that only the PS4 can tackle or it just does it better.

Very cool!

Golovanov-UK 25 March, 2015 @ 13:04

Full backup is very good addition, especially during bigger HDD replacement.
But backup/restore for selected games is a much better feature.
I hope it will be implemented.
————-

Also, why there is no possibility to separately delete games and DLCs.
Here is example: I want to delete BF4 DLCs (about 30 Gb), but to do this I need to delete whole game and redownload 50 Gb again.
This is stupid.
————-

Can we also expect better save management and sorting in future?
We have no sorting option for saves display – only fixed “last modified” sorting and, if disc in drive, disc save is on top (if I remember correctly).
And what if user just want to see saves and check their size/date/time?
Currently users are asked, what they want to do with saves, prior seeing them.
So, without inserted USB or active Plus subscription, it is necessary to press “Delete” just to browse saves.
Why instead not to ask, which location you want to browse, and then display saves?
Then user can browse saves, mark them...

Show full comment

Full backup is very good addition, especially during bigger HDD replacement.
But backup/restore for selected games is a much better feature.
I hope it will be implemented.
————-

Also, why there is no possibility to separately delete games and DLCs.
This is stupid.
————-

Can we also expect better save management and sorting in future?
And what if user just want to see saves and check their size/date/time?
Currently users are asked, what they want to do with saves, prior seeing them.
Then user can browse saves, mark them (if necessary) and decide, what he want to do with marked saves.

How about making it possible to pause background downloads, or at least make it possible for the whole game to appear in the download list. The current download system is TERRIBLE for people with a slow internet connection.

58.1

You can already pause downloads. That was in the last major update.

58.2

I am talking about the background downloads. My ps4 bundle came with a download code for The Last of Us Remastered and only the first 10gb of the download can be paused. You can’t pause the other 30+gb which downloads in the background, which would take me over 40 hours to download with my current internet speed.

@John Booth I have filled my 1GB PS4 PS+ Save storage is there any chance we will see an expansion on it?

59.1

1Gb just isn’t enough, especially since the minimum size for saves is 10mb, even if it’s just profile setting. It’s ridiculous.

Driveclub itself takes up 100mb on Ghost Data.
LittleBigPlanet 3 uses over 500MB

I agree with this, mine topped out months ago.

The other annoying about cloud saves is that you can’t download them without installing the game.
So you can’t make a backup and delete the cloud save so you can upload the ones you play at that moment

Show more replies

With the Backup/Restore process… does the external HDD what file format does it have to be? (FAT/FAT32/NTFS)

And, can anyone recommend a good 2Tb HDD… reading mixed reviews with the Samsung M9T.

Cheers!

60.1

Most likely FAT32. That’s what is used in the PS3 anyway. The backups get split in chunks of 4GB. Oh, and one must have the external disk already in FAT32 format. Which the smartass Win8 has no option to format to. Do like I did. Preformat it with a Mac! More reliable. :D

As far as i know the drive you mentioned is fine now. I think a few people had issues with earlier firmware.

60.3

@Michelasso: just use a partition manager… Why use an entire HDD in FAT32 format, when you can use the superior NTFS too?

Show more replies

If I were to delete a 0% trophy list then at a later date decide, you know what, I’ll give that another go! Can the trophy list be readded?

61.1

Of course it will, it’s like replaying the game for the first time lol.

61.2

The Trophy List will be readded when you load up the game.

Do you know how big the update size is in terms of GB please?

62.1

PS4, like 350 MB, Vita like 150 MB

Hi John,

In regards to the new trophy features and one of your replies above. Will the PS3 and Vita ever see an update that will allow them to delete local trophy data (for lists at 0%)?

Do screenshots when trophies are obtained get uploaded online and transfer with your account, or are they just visible on the PS4 they were obtained on?

Finally, can the backup and restore be used selectively? Can I select one game to back up without backing up the entire drive, then selectively restore that later on?

Otherwise seems like a great update, thanks.

Going forward though, is there a chance the PS+ cloud storage for games can be increased, its a growing problem on the PS4, or can there ever be an option to upload that data to a third party such as Dropbox? (Not just for saved data though, can third parties that aren’t social sites be included at some stage for video/screenshots as well)

63.1

Hi Ryan. The Trophy screenshots are saved locally on your PS4. They are not uploaded online.

Backup/Restore, can not be used selectively. The entire system is backed up.

Passwords and Trophy Data are not covered in this feature, so please remember your sign-in password and to synch your Trophies when you do Backup/Restore. :)

63.2

Hi John, thanks for the reply.

Could you possibly update the blog post to indicate that it is a full system backup only. It seems that some people online have the idea that they can selectively move data back and forwards from the HDD selectively, as a competing console has. (Some online publications are taking it to be so as well.)

Extremely happy with this feature list but like other comments I would like a less intrusive ‘People you may know’ feature. I don’t know the people it offers and there’s no way to hide that, or stop those name coming up, and taking space on my screen.

I’d also prefer a way to invite people into my games without needing to go through the slow operating system process. I’m sure COD can easily allow me to invite a friend to my party with one button press, why does it need to load a new PS dialog which is slow, and then press another button to invite them with a message (Who provides a message anyway???) which takes 20+ seconds. If it was all handled in the game this wouldn’t be as slow or frustrating.

An option to turn off the light in the PS4 (or perhaps an ‘Energy Saving’ mode that does this) is really useful.

Show full comment

When I’m in a party chat and happen to say ‘Playstation’ which happens often surprisingly, I don’t want a popup on the top left saying ‘You cannot use voice commands when in party chat’ because I know that already, especially when I’m in the middle of a COD game.

I want a better way to see a list of all my playstation games. Go open Steam. That would be a good start. Why does it need to be this giant unweildly grid that has endless scrolling and limited filtering? In my Library I would like to see Full games I own, games I have through PSPlus, apps, indie games, etc. It needs to be quick, light, and powerful so I can grab the game I want quickly. Libraries are growing and this big list needs to be managable and apparently only Steam has a decent way of doing this and even that is old and outdated.

I want more compatibility for third party USB IR remotes for blu-ray please. I bought a nyko remote and it only really half works on netflix and amazon. All it does is emulate a keyboard, how come a keyboard can’t pause a blu-ray movie?

Oh I probably have more but I’ve ranted enough.

There you go guys! The Vita isn’t dead. Sony still cares about it

65.1

They care about it as a companion, not a dedicated handheld.

65.2

They put accessibility options which should be helpful. I know they’re focusing on it a remote play device, but let’s see for E3.

Amazing. Really looking forward to trying out Suspend/Resume and 60fps Remote Play.

Do you know if the personalised button mapping will carry through to Remote Play? So for example, if I swap the L and R triggers for L1 and R1 button on my PS4, will they map onto the shoulder buttons on Vita? Or do you expect the button mapping to be overwritten by the Remote Play settings set by the developer?

66.1

Hi. Thanks for the question.

Personalised button mapping does not carry through to Share Play. For instance, if I switch “X” and “O” buttons on my controller, when I use Share Play and give the controller to a visitor, their controls will be as they have set it on their PS4 console.

madmanwithabox12 25 March, 2015 @ 15:39
66.2

Uh… that’s cool and all, but he asked about Remote Play. You know the thing that uses that thing you don’t like to talk about – the Vita – to stream PS4 games remotely?

66.3

Yeah, that’s good to know about Share Play but I was hoping for Vita information. Hoping that it may be different since they’re both connected to my account and not another player?

Show more replies

What happened to the new PlayStation Music app with Spotify? It’s already showing for Android in Google Play as Xperia Music!

This is the most amazing update ever!!! 60fps remote play for my vita!!! a gift from the Sony gods!!! THANK YOU!!!

Insert remote play for xperia z1, please

So still not add a HDD to expend the drive space to add game installs like the Xbox One does for a long time.
It’s not a bad update but it’s hard to get excited to get something that was prommissed 2+ years ago…

Great Update! When will we able to change (and Buy) Avatars on PS4?
FIX THE MESSAGE SYSTEM!!!! Horrible Delay on Messages.

Fix broken Avatars in the “Whats New” Section after last System Update.

Thank you.

I would really like to sort my games and apps, I hate auto-arrange. Please let me choose which games I want to see on screen.

Does this update add anything for Playstation Music? Music Unlimited is being turned off in less than a week and existing Music Unlimited customers have been left in the dark in terms of how to migrate over services and whether our playlists will carry over?

73.1

Playlists will not carry over as Music Unlimited and Spotify are different services with their own music licenses.

DLNA Support
Music, Video Playback on HDD
Turn Light off controller.
Delete Demo’s from library

Вы бы лучше с добавлением средств в кошелек доделали нормально! А то что с Qiwi Visa что с Яндекс Деньги не возможно добавить средства аж сил больше нету! Покупать карту оплаты на 1000 руб ради 500 руб, я не собираюсь! А добавить не возможно, что за дела такие! Так что возьмите на заметку это! А не выпускайте обновления! Смысл от них если люди купить не чего не могут!

Actually yeah that’s a point, what happened to Playstation Music?

Hi, John. Thank you very much for answering our questions! :)

I understand that the Trophy screenshots are saved locally on the PS4 and are not uploaded online. I would love if this changed in a future update and we could keep the screenshots permanently associated with our accounts!

You see, I use my trophies as a way to keep a journal of the games I play, and having the screenshots permanently attached to my trophies would be an amazing way to come back and remember not only when I did it, but how I did it. :D

I don’t have a PS4 yet, but I’d certainly get one much sooner to get my multiplatform trophies on PS4 if I could start building on my “journal” in this way! Having them on my trophy list, all neatly organised.

Would you please pass along my feedback? Thank you very much!

77.1

Thanks for the feedback. I like your “journal idea”. Remember that you can use Capture Gallery to save screenshots to USB and Share to post images to Twitter and Facebook.

77.2

I know I can save the screenshots to USB or share them to social sites, but there is a difference between that and having them permanently associated with my trophies on the PS4’s trophy list menu (just like it appears in system update 2.50, but with the screenshot not disappearing if I delete it from my hard disk ).

It would make the process much more automatic and part of the PlayStation ecosystem, not something that would be buried under countless other tweets or Facebook posts.

I hope you can understand my reasoning and how important this would be to me. Thanks! :D

Terrordactyl 25 March, 2015 @ 15:49

What’s the power consumption like for Suspend/Resume? Significantly higher than rest mode?

78.1

Seeing as it makes use of Rest Mode, it will be the same.

“Delete 0% Trophies – Remove games from your Trophy list that have zero percent completion.” Useless… Make it then at least for games with less then 5% since most games give a already a trophy for pressing start or new game.

OMG!!! Where is D i g i t a l L i v i n g N e t w o r k A l l i a n c e – remember the standard you (Sony) established 12 years ago that everything now uses to stream video(etc)?!?

Come on, you all but promised DNLA to come in January 2015 – why is my PS4 still less useful than my PS3 which I already moved into my son’s room. Crap! Social networking features, give me a break.

I can’t stream my media to this box and you still don’t have a media remote for it. This is bullcrap sony!

PS Vita 3.50 changelog

The PSN logo has been changed. Also PSN has been renamed back to PlayStation Network.

You can now set PS4 remote play to 60 FPS. PS4 system software update 2.50 must be installed in order to use this feature.

Scene search in video playback has been improved.

1.5x playback is now possible in 1080p videos.

The maps application has been removed.

Near features using the Maps feature will be removed.

Accessibility options has been added. Features include enlarged text and increased contrast.

In PSN Sub Account Management settings, Chat has been renamed to Chat/User Created Media. You can now limit the sending and receiving of messages.

Show full comment

PS Vita 3.50 changelog

Scene search in video playback has been improved.

1.5x playback is now possible in 1080p videos.

The maps application has been removed.

Near features using the Maps feature will be removed.

81.1

Nothing in particular :(

bald_eagle_ghost 25 March, 2015 @ 16:13

Hey can someone explain me what do they mean by backing up HDD to sub??
Does that mean u can copy the games in an external hardisk just likeX1??

So you can sort trophies according to “grade” and even “not earned” but not simply by the last game played -_-
I get that would suggest more trophy syncing in general but it’s annoying having to search through your entire PS trophy library just to see your current game’s trophies if you haven’t unlocked any recently.. Besides the more frequent syncing I really don’t see why they abandoned this sorting option..
Suspend/resume sounds handy but I doubt I’ll make much use of it, my ps4 already sounds like a jet, even more so when apps are running..

Does Customised button assignments for DUALSHOCK 4. mean I can make L1 x and x to L1?

84.1

Yes it does. You can even map buttons like L1 and R1 to the Directional Pads or even L3 and R3.

84.2

OMG Thank you you made a disabled person able to play games so much easier thanks sony!

84.3

This is heartwarming :)

Show more replies

video playback from usb stick????

pop up message when friend signs in online???

Good but still not able to copy my music onto it……..ps3 could so why sony? you say you been listening to us well listen…to copy my music on ps4

Sony you lot are doing a great job at giving our ps4 necessary updates/features thank you so much.

I’m so exited because tomorrow will be my last final exam
So
So
So
Exited

Supersport05 26 March, 2015 @ 12:48
88.1

That deserves congratulations, so Congratulations!

shing-a-ding 25 March, 2015 @ 17:00

We need support for Bluetooth devices, such as headset and soundbars.

89.1

Totally agree, shing-a-ding. £200 for a turtle beach headset and can’t even talk to ppl unless a pay £10 for a wire. Now the problem I’ve got is my headset doesn’t even work sound wise without the cable now. @ cuts in and out :@