Spotify launches on PlayStation Music today

Enjoy your favourite music on PS4 and PS3

Hi everyone! In January, we announced PlayStation Music, a new music destination that brings Spotify to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 systems, and Xperia mobile devices in 41 markets around the world. This exclusive partnership brings the best in music and the best in gaming together on PlayStation Network, and I am thrilled to announce that Spotify on PlayStation Music is coming to the PS4 and PS3 systems today!

Tiles _ EN

Spotify is the exclusive partner of PlayStation Music, and with more than 30 million songs and 1.5 billion playlists, PS4 users can soundtrack their gaming sessions with their favourite songs. To make controlling your music even easier, PS4 and PS3 users will be able to take advantage of the Spotify Connect feature on the official Spotify app for Android/iOS. You can select a playlist, skip songs, adjust the volume, and more.

Spotify Screen Shot 3-17-15, 5.59 PM 6Spotify Screen Shot 3-17-15, 5.57 PM 1

PlayStation Network users can easily link their accounts to Spotify and use their account to subscribe to Spotify’s Premium service, which is available for £9.99/month. If you want to check out Spotify’s Premium service first, we have the following offers in place:

• Music Unlimited subscribers with accounts active as of 29th March 2015, will receive a free two-month trial to Spotify Premium
  • New and existing Spotify users who have not previously received a trial of Spotify Premium can receive 1 month free

This is just the beginning of Spotify on PlayStation Music, which will continue to evolve. We are working with the team at Spotify to bring new and exciting features exclusively to our platforms. You can learn more here: www.playstationmusic.com/spotify.

Spotify Screen Shot 3-17-15, 2.40 PMSpotify Screen Shot 3-17-15, 2.39 PM 2
165 Comments
10 Author replies

Not in Denmark :/ I can atleast not find it

European_Gamer 30 March, 2015 @ 11:00
1.1

He didn’t say NOW. So it may be coming later.

1.2

It’s released already

European_Gamer 30 March, 2015 @ 12:03
1.3

@mh yes it is available now.

What about Russia?

MorningThree 30 March, 2015 @ 12:23
2.1

Spotify doesn’t even work in Russia officially. What are you talking about?

2.2

There’s always DNS.

2.3

In soviet Russia, Spotify listens to YOU!

Samtpfotchen 30 March, 2015 @ 10:47

and how do you get it?

3.1

On PS4 it should appear on your game line thing. On PS3 it should appear under the music section of the XMB.

@mh637099

What??? Another forced undeletable crap in my XMB?

Brilpoetsdoekje 30 March, 2015 @ 21:42
3.3

Another forced undeletable crap indeed. Unbelievable

Show more replies

Article says “is coming today”, so I suspect the roll-out is in progress and not immediately available for all. Vita is still charging but I’ll check Dutch market asap.

You’re gonna be pretty disappointed if you look for it on your Vita, there is no more MU and Playstation Music isn’t coming to Vita…

4.2

When I say Vita I mean Remote Play. ;)

I restarted my PS4 and Playstation Music button magically appeared. Opened it, installed Spotify and logged in with my existing user/pass.

It’s in the PS Store…

Installed it, but, there doesn’t seem to be anyway to access the playback controls (pause, rewind etc..) if you’re not in the app? Or am I missing something…

6.1

Hi Mad-Vampire,

Hold down the PS button and you’ll be taken to a mini menu to find these.

If u cant find it go to the music unlimated app and it will send u to the ps music app.

Jumped into Remote Play and can confirm the availability for PS4 in Holland. It’s a 9.8 MB download.

Unfortunately the app itself is blocked for Remote Play. Sony, please please be more liberal about this in cooperation with your partners. First of all, check GeoIP whether the Remote Play is from the same country, in which case country-license-based content blocking is not necessary. Also, consider this: no one is going to buy a Vita/PSTV and host a PS3/PS4 in a foreign country just to bypass Spotify/Youtube license restrictions.

MonkeyMonger 30 March, 2015 @ 14:18
8.1

Just use your phone

8.2

That’d be fine for standalone Spotify/Netflix/Youtube use, but not for gaming with Spotify embedded as background music or other titles/apps blocking scenes.

Brilpoetsdoekje 30 March, 2015 @ 21:50
8.3

“Just use your phone” lmfao, great advice. Here guys, we added a new feature. Oh it doesn’t work? Meh use your phone.

When your car’s not working and you call the garage, do you also accept some smartass telling you to take your bike instead?

PiccoroDaimaoh 30 March, 2015 @ 11:01

Waiting for the Vita/Vita TV app…

9.1

This, please.

A PS Vita app with background play would be fantastic.

ryanhellyeah 30 March, 2015 @ 11:05

It works great! But how can i silence the sound of a game? I only want to hear te music!

Most games should have a sound/music level you can change in the options.

Yura_kosenko 30 March, 2015 @ 11:06

What about the Spotify free users. Or can you only use it if you have spotify premium?

PiccoroDaimaoh 30 March, 2015 @ 11:08
11.1

There’s a free version and a premium version. But you will get a free month of premium anyway.

Yura_kosenko 30 March, 2015 @ 11:20
11.2

@piccorodaimaoh you mean a free app on the ps4? Because that’s the first mention i’ve seen of it.

11.3

“As per regular Spotify, the ad-supported version is free, or you can cough up $10 a month to listen without interruption. There is a free trial for newcomers, and if you were previously paying for Music Unlimited, then this is extended to 60 days.”

from Engadget

Show more replies

a ps+ discount would be welcome but i guess it wont happen…anyway spotify premium is very expensive for just streaming music and believe me artists make almost nothing from it! the exact opposite from bandcamp..still we got new options for playstation fans and thats good..

12.1

the artists make enough trust me… dont believe everything you read on the internet. Ask an artist ;)

12.2

i highly doubt but we are i bit off-topic so…

12.3

How much money an artist makes from Spotify is a tricky question.

My Dad pays for Spotify Premium and will end up listening to artists he would not have even considered searching for thanks to the Radio(?) instant mix(?) features (not sure if that’s exactly what they’re called) and that way that artist has seen money they would never have seen if my Dad was just buying CD’s like he used to. Yes the money might be considered a small amount per stream, but it can all add up.

Show more replies

PLEASE allow like a screensaver on the app when listening to music! I have a plasma and burn-in is a thing still :(

Rumple-mints 24 April, 2015 @ 20:42
13.1

I’m in the same boat my friend. Need screen saver!

madmanwithabox12 30 March, 2015 @ 11:18

Don’t try and tell me “Spotify loves PlayStation”. Spotify doesn’t love PlayStation. PlayStation includes the PS Vita. You aren’t putting your app on Vita. You don’t love PlayStation. You love PS4.

14.1

And PS3

14.2

Yes! THIS!

PlayStation means = PS3, PS4, Vita TV and Vita.

Only those 4 together means PlayStation

If it is only PS3 and PS4 they should just write “we love PS3 and PS4… but don’t care about Vita”

also work in Mexico or Europe only

TerrorOfDeath86 30 March, 2015 @ 11:21

Is it available in Saudi Arabia? And if not, When will it be?

EndlessNaraku 30 March, 2015 @ 13:12
16.1

lol, keep dreaming buddy xD

make a US or any other account where spotify is available. download it. make an account on spotify.com through vpn.

i tried it and it works perfectly

LastFM support???

loadstone007s 30 March, 2015 @ 11:27

Please make this service available in Israel!

Will it be available in South Africa at launch? If not then possibly in the future?

I tried the PS3 version already. Don’t have a PS4 yet. On your PS3 the Spotify icon just appears under the Music section of the XMB. One question. WHY do you have to use that CHEAP HTML5 rendering system for the PS3 Version?!?!?!??! The 3 dots at the bottom right tell me so!!!! I mean it’s the same thing on iPlayer and BBC Sport but why this????? Music Unlimited is way better in that case cuz it’s native!!!! Also, what about Vita?????

An update on if/when service will be available on Vita.

21.1

It doesn’t even work through remote play. What is this

Looking good Spotify! Though, i miss my options i’ve got on the desktop and mobile application. I’m talking about the Albums and Artists? Maybe include in next patch?
Oh and, Spotify connect = <3

Will the diverse music choices from Music Unlimited find their way to Spotify in the end? Music Unlimited had a much better find rate for the Artists and genre’s I searched for compared to Spotify, so it would be a shame to lose that.

PODCASTS! this is the only thing missing for me. fingers crossed that either Spotify adds podcasts to its services (as it was rumoured last year) or PS4 launches a dedicated app.

Swedenstyle34 30 March, 2015 @ 12:19

i have a PS4 :D

When do existing music unlimited customers have to redeem the 2 month trial by before its gone?

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 30 March, 2015 @ 17:03
26.1

Hi Mr_Pickle,

MU customers need to redeem the 2 month trial by the end of April.

Thanks!

Can it run in the background while playing games?

27.2

That’s the whole point.

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 30 March, 2015 @ 17:03
27.3

Hi Viryu,

The listen while you game feature is available on the PS4.

Thanks!

Show more replies
Karma_Wangdu 30 March, 2015 @ 12:57

Actually, I’ve been hoping for better price for the PS+ users than 9.99 (that’s normal price for Spotify premium), so.. where are those “exciting” offers?

I was looking forward to this, sadly no vita support yet.

Although I prefer Google music I don’t mind using another service.

Good to see this out already.. But i see 1 big flaw atm..

If you start Spotify, then launch a game and wanna change song, or find a different playlist, it wants you to close down the game first…? Either i’m missing something here, or you messed something up here.

30.1

Long press the PS button from within a game to access the quick menu.

So i did miss something. But it wasnt obvious. Thanks.

Wish Sony would come up with some clear instructions on some of these things now and then.

CarotideEtude 30 March, 2015 @ 13:11

Ok I downloaded it from the United States store and I’m trying to get in but as soon as it starts up, I get a message saying “Error connecting to Playstation Network”. Anyone with a similar problem? My connection works normally otherwise.

CarotideEtude 30 March, 2015 @ 13:14

Just found the solution! If this happens to you, close the app, restart it and hold Select+Start while it loads until you see the log in screen.

CarotideEtude 31 March, 2015 @ 02:09
32.1

Now I have a new problem. I downloaded the app from the US store and used it with my Croatian profile, but later I couldn’t connect the app to my PSN account. I keep getting an error message saying “linking not available this country”. I am using VPN. Anyone with a similar problem?

Please let us hide the app, i don’t need more spacewasters cluster up on My homescreen like the tv & video apps. I use My game consoles for gaming so got no interest seeing the apps.

Grumble grumble vita player here its been blocked from remote play, could you explain why?!?!?

34.1

The same reason as with Netflix/Youtube/etc, I suspect: licensing. Not sure if the problem is the number of devices (I suppose not, I can use my Spotify nearly anywhere) but mostly that the Vita/PS-TV might connect from a region for which the license is not valid. See my previous comment (#8) for a request to Sony to be more lenient with this, as the inconvenience affects all remote play users while it prevents a problem that is virtually non-existent…

34.2

So it’s fine for mobile devices to have Netflix when they’re used all around the world?

Tried it, it works beautifully on both PS4 and PS3.

Now, please, please, please do a Vita Spotify App too!

Come to think of it, a PlayStation TV with Spotify Connect, like the PS3 and PS4 apps has, would be just awesome cool, and a really inexpensive to get Spotify on an old amplifier/home theater/shelf speaker et cetera.

I really, really want that.
Please make it happen!

Awesome, love it. Thanks.

shawshankbarber 30 March, 2015 @ 14:04

I’ve got a high end home theater system. Spotify or ps3 doesn’t support 5.2 surround sound.. therefore NO SUBS!!!!

TorsteinReiten 18 April, 2015 @ 23:30
37.1

Thiss annoyed me so hard I nearly threw my PS3 out the window.

Liking it, now just want a Vita version

shawshankbarber 30 March, 2015 @ 14:11

This app does not support 5.2 surround sound. . My subwoofers don’t kick on.. I have 800 watts of subs that I want to hear bang!!!

BrondanStifflson 30 March, 2015 @ 14:43

I hope they integrate this into the XPERIA Walkman app. I’d much rather use the Walkman app solely because of its great sound reproduction

PiccoroDaimaoh 30 March, 2015 @ 14:49
40.1

It will probably integrate with the Walkman app when the PlayStation Music for Xperia drops…

demonsgalore 30 March, 2015 @ 14:45

Awesome can’t wait for more features

I can not get in, I have the app but nothing happens

The music won’t play while in-game when playing Dying
Light. Does this only work with some games?

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 30 March, 2015 @ 17:04
43.1

Hi Davold,

The listen while you game feature works on PS4 and it will work for the vast majority of games.

Thanks!

TwoFloorLoft 30 March, 2015 @ 15:22

My PlayStation just muted with this Spotify release. I haver no sound now. Either in games or apps.

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 30 March, 2015 @ 17:05
44.1

Hi TwoFloorLoft,

Are you still having issues with the app?

Btw, you could have done something for the PSP 6.61 update that released in Jan. First of all why is the thing STILL called Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity, which Qriocity was dead a long time ago??? Yet, you can’t even download it, since the website is dead, so why is it still there for people to download??? And why didn’t you change the name PlayStation Network to PSN that time when it was called PSN??? You could have got rid of stuff that is useless now and not just stability.

45.1

PSP support was dropped, that’s why.

45.2

You do know 6.61 released this Jan right??? They could atleast DONE something

45.3

Like what? There would be no point for a device that was having PSN dropped.

I am a bit confused by the integration of this on the PS4 to be honest. I was thinking there would be game playlists but I can’t see them. I put some music on and launched Destiny and had the in game music playing to with no way of turning it off. I then loaded Borderlands 2 and it played the title music and spotify too. I am assuming games all need patching now to recognise when the app is running. Also to re-enter the app it has to suspend the game where the USB music player does not I was able to control it with my phone though although I don’t know how I even got into that menu. Some of this might be my not being used to spotify yet also???!!! #newb

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 30 March, 2015 @ 17:06
46.1

Hi bigsolofish,

You will need to turn down the volume of the game in order to listen to Spotify in the background – the game won’t automatically mute when you launch the app.

Thanks!

46.2

What about the dynamic features I read about where it will adjust the audio so it lowers Spotify during the times characters are speaking? Is this true?? Destiny has no option yet to turn the music off sadly but I think it’s happening soon. I played around last night and love the way you can control it from your phone whilst playing. I’m pretty impressed so far!

46.3

Oh one thing is Spotify seems to lack bass and a few people are saying their subs are not firing either

Is anybody else having problems using Spotify on PS3?

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 30 March, 2015 @ 17:07
47.1

Hi cobwil,

What are the issues you are having?

neocypher-1138 30 March, 2015 @ 18:20
47.2

Yes, I am. I’m not getting any audio even though I can see the track playing on my ps3.

neocypher-1138 30 March, 2015 @ 18:34
47.3

And yes, I have sound when playing a cd, watching Netflix and YouTube. ;-)

Background music playing not working with dying light :E

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 30 March, 2015 @ 17:07
48.1

Hi Akukuk,

The listen while you game feature works on the PS4 only and with the majority of games, however some may not allow for this function.

Thanks!

PTlls0ulHunt3rll 30 March, 2015 @ 16:09

my personal playlists appear, but i can’t get them to work…

Do you guys know if it is out now the dutch store (Netherlands) cause I can’t find it

Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 30 March, 2015 @ 17:43
50.1

Hi foxi_111,

Music carousels should be going live very soon, but otherwise you can download the app from the content launcher or XMB on your console.

Thanks!

50.2

Installed it via the store a moment ago

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history