Posted

Introducing PlayStation Flow (Update)

A watershed moment in wearable tech

UPDATE: Although we’re really excited about the possibilities of PlayStation Flow, it’s not actually in development. However, it was inspired by Sony Computer Entertainment’s innovative experiences including Project Morpheus. A virtual reality headset, Project Morpheus offers a new, immersive dimension of gaming and launches in the first half of 2016.

For more information on Project Morpheus check out the latest prototype on the PlayStation Blog, sign up for email updates to get the latest details or enter our competition for a chance to see it live at E3.

ORIGINAL POST: At PlayStation we’ve always been dedicated to bringing gamers immersive experiences. From innovative features like Remote Play and Share Play to the endless possibilities of the upcoming Project Morpheus, PS4 is continually creating new ways to play.

Here at the PlayStation Wearable Entertainment Technology (P-WET) group we are ready to add to that list of innovations, as we announce the latest breakthrough in fully-immersive gaming – PlayStation Flow.

PS Flow_Goggles anglePS Flow_Collection_v2

PlayStation Flow combines PS4 gaming with real-life swimming. When you get to an underwater section of a game like The Last of Us Remastered you can hit pause, head to your nearest pool, dive in and resume playing through PlayStation Flow. With underwater environments in games becoming more and more realistic, we think that PlayStation Flow provides a natural enhancement to player experience.

The system consists of four PlayStation Flow Sensors, constructed using the latest composite fabrics. They attach comfortably to your biceps and thighs and track your swimming, sending real-time updates of body movements back to your PS4 via Remote Play.

PSAF_STILL_4PSAF_STILL_3PSAF_STILL_2

The PlayStation Flow Goggles stream game data from your PS4 via Bluetooth and display gameplay once activated poolside. Our PlayStation Waterproof Earphones deliver stunning sound even underwater to complete the immersion.

We know that players want to get back to the action as soon as possible, so we’re also proud to introduce the PlayStation Flow Body Dryer – the perfect accompaniment to PlayStation Flow. It uses ionizing technology to dry you within seconds.

PS Flow_Air DryerPS Flow_poolside

For a deeper understanding of how it all works check out the video, and stay tuned for more information from the PlayStation Wearable Entertainment Technology group.

With Project Morpheus and more on the way it’s a very exciting time for PlayStation innovation. Watch this space for more immersive experiences as we continue to push the boundaries of play.

PSAF_STILL_1PSAF_STILL_6PSAF_STILL_5
Did you enjoy this?

Comments

132 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

redflame4992 1 April, 2015 @ 7:52 am   1

Sometimes the best sounding tech emerges during April fools! XD

yeah…it’s really the day of broken dreams 😛

den_rick 1 April, 2015 @ 9:26 pm

In fact if sony launches a band focused on those glasses (without the water technology), this might pretty be great!

ParasiteECHO 1 April, 2015 @ 7:53 am   2

Just tell me when can I pre-order this

kickassgamer317 1 April, 2015 @ 9:10 am

Its An april fools joke

No It is not an April fools joke. The army has been working on this prototype for years now. Just search google for “US NAVY seals VR under water”… There are a lot of documentations even in Discovery Channel. Early 2014 US army had an agreement with Sony where Sony would have the rights to use some army related tech in their gaming devices. That was even a very big deal in the US news last year because a lot of people protested why the Army would not sign this deal with Microsoft instead of a Japanese company. I am trolling by the way.

ParasiteECHO 1 April, 2015 @ 10:46 am

@kickass humour, do you speak it? 🙂 was kidding!

Off topic but anyone else having problem signing in PSN through PC? I get a “Sign in Failed” msg

Legendcy1337 1 April, 2015 @ 11:55 am

+1 also on ps3.can login fine in vita tho

didsburydan 1 April, 2015 @ 1:41 pm

you now have to do it underwater

dio_tsirigotis 1 April, 2015 @ 4:56 pm

Yo Rochala, it’s happened to me a few times. Clear your cookies and history and it should work. Worked for me last few times!

KamakaziSheep 1 April, 2015 @ 7:55 am   4

God I hope this is April fools

AholeintheBoden 1 April, 2015 @ 7:57 am   5

good one whats up with the timetraveling though ?

biglouUK 1 April, 2015 @ 7:58 am   6

PlayStation Flow Body Dryer already exists. It’s called the PS3.

Stefan882 1 April, 2015 @ 7:59 am   7

I love the PlayStation Flow Body Dryer! Day one buy 😀

Faustofausto 1 April, 2015 @ 8:06 am   8

… and it will be released at 1st of April, 2016? 😀
Awesome, can’t wait! 🙂

This is just brilliant! Well played, PlayStation.

Sereal_Killer 1 April, 2015 @ 8:12 am   10

Im in!

DJ655545 1 April, 2015 @ 8:19 am   11

nice ap… lets let them figure it out

cyperrat 1 April, 2015 @ 8:21 am   12

This is the best looking April Fool’s joke I’ve seen in a while! Great job!

icecrasher_zero 1 April, 2015 @ 8:23 am   13

And what about Playstation Flush? You know, toilet with Bluetooth? Not all of us is using pools ;-). Nice try 😛

*throws money at screen* where are my Playstation flow’s!!!!!

zebric21 1 April, 2015 @ 8:35 am   15

day one purchase…well no, i’m kidding too

Will it be available as a bundle with Flow, Dry, The Last of Us game, and the cool blue PS towel?

Does it feature a proximity alarm for when you get near the pool walls or other swimmers? How are collisions managed in multiplayer games?

timdj128 1 April, 2015 @ 8:45 am   17

I’m hoping they bundle it with Finding Nemo for the kids and Titanic for the adults! Love it, I just wish they had included the line ‘and the goggles are unashamedly plastic’ – eat your heart out Jonny Ive!

Bl4ckwinter81 1 April, 2015 @ 9:03 am   18

instead of wasting money on a poor April fools joke why not give us better PS plus content.

vavires 1 April, 2015 @ 9:09 am

darn i was watching and didnt reload, but good were on the same page

Lucreto 1 April, 2015 @ 10:33 am

Maybe you should learn not to discriminate against different types of games.

Games are games no matter the budget or the size of the team.

KaneTheGoth 1 April, 2015 @ 10:34 am

Well I bet you two are fun at parties!

Just relax, take a deep breath.. and smile once in a while. It won’t kill you.

Tommy-G- 1 April, 2015 @ 10:41 am

Another person who expected Bloodborne and GTA 5 for the £4 they paid this month.

MaxDiehard 1 April, 2015 @ 11:38 am

Why so serious?

Let’s put a smile on that face.

MrEibmoz 1 April, 2015 @ 1:05 pm

You dont really get better than Dishonoured….

HypnoticMonkey 1 April, 2015 @ 4:27 pm

I bet you’re the life of any party, eh Bl4ckwinter81?

vavires 1 April, 2015 @ 9:09 am   19

Now instead of making (april) fools errands.use your time and money to make more AAA games,thank you. moving on.

Chimpanzee 1 April, 2015 @ 2:35 pm

Yeah! No fun allowed! The Last Guardian would be finished by now if PlayStation didn’t waste their time and money on this April Fool’s Joke.

*sigh*

Oh wow, I want the the Playstation Flow!. It will be as great as the new Xbox Elephant adaptor and the Wii Cheese Board.

Just shut up and take my money.

JFCCMcDondy 1 April, 2015 @ 9:19 am   22

Where can I pre-order?

hans832009 1 April, 2015 @ 9:20 am   23

Is this the best you can come up with for April 1st???

Twareczek 1 April, 2015 @ 9:27 am   24

The best joke is Playstation Plus for April…Indie games…3/4 players will end subscription if playing online will be free. PS+ on PS4 its a joke from November 2013

ANDROID-TM 1 April, 2015 @ 10:01 am

Actually, Never alone is a great game and it got a lot of 10/10 ratings.
    Instead of hating on indies you should actually try them, alot of them are a great experience, better than most of the AAA games these days.
    I have played many great games that i would have never played otherwise because they were in the IGC.

Also, last month we got 4, this month 3 PS4 games which is more than they promised.

MaxDiehard 1 April, 2015 @ 11:38 am

Stop whining.

MrEibmoz 1 April, 2015 @ 1:06 pm

Dishonoured is better than any PS4 game they could have gave.

residentSteve 2 April, 2015 @ 6:57 pm

max must work for sony the amount of replies he does lol.

I thought yesterday was April fools day with the sad collection Plus games but it’s this, so sad.

The time and money u used to do this “JOKE” could have been used to improve the ps plus games. Good job!

Instead of wasting money on jokes, sony, you could’ve spend those 10000 bucks on servers instead…

I’d take the jokes then. (as someone who doesn’t play online games that much and most online games I play occasionally seem to be just fine in terms of stability)

HypnoticMonkey 1 April, 2015 @ 4:28 pm

Yeah! No jokes allowed in this world! It’s all serious!

Christ, lighten up.

I’m so happy this is a joke

ANDROID-TM 1 April, 2015 @ 9:57 am   29

I wouldn’t even buy this if it were real, i don’t want to have to go swimming instead of gaming 😛

I COULD USE THE DRYER THOUGH!!

gerneric123 1 April, 2015 @ 10:14 am   30

This joke probably has more internal Sony software support than Vita does.

Knight--Angel 1 April, 2015 @ 10:15 am   31

Happy April fools ….

demonsgalore 1 April, 2015 @ 10:15 am   32

Nice try ;). PlayStation flow body dryer :’D…

TrueMurton 1 April, 2015 @ 10:17 am   33

Do you not think its bad taste to tale the time to post an April Fools joke when the following outstanding questions exist from other threads. None of these have had any comment from SCEE at all.

1: the new accessibility menu for PS4 doesn’t include the “text to speech” option that was boasted.
2: the new firmware has switched on notification sounds and removed the option to switch them off, they’re annoying.
3: PS+ is supposed to be announced on the last Wednesday of the month and available on the first Wednesday. This time you’ve announced it on the last Tuesday and releasing them on the second Wednesday. An official statement as to why you can’t follow your own rules is due.

And that’s just questions that have been raised in the last 7 days, this post and run thing the SCEE team have going needs to stop, take a look at the US blog, double figure author replies in almost every post, if they can do it, why can’t SCEE?

ANDROID-TM 1 April, 2015 @ 10:23 am

The answer to 3:
    The US gets their IGC on tuesday. If the first Wednesday of the month is before the first tuesday of the month, we get it on the 2. Wednesday because the US needs to get their games before us.

It’s nothing new, it has always been like that.

Lucreto 1 April, 2015 @ 10:30 am

About your number 3.

Do you think we should get special treatment just because the Wednesday is the first? They are being fair and we are not losing out as it is still 4 weeks to download. The only thing that will come out this if you keep at it is they change the policy to that we get the content on the second week of every month.

Just build a bridge and get over it.

TrueMurton 1 April, 2015 @ 11:21 am

It hasn’t always been like that though. Prior to the 2014 revamp the first store update every month has been the PS+ update, every one. After the revamp there have been two instances of Wednesday 1st, both times we were made to wait without an official statement saying why. It should also be pointed out that in June last year when Chris Howe made the post detailing the revamp he was specifically asked about Wednesday 1sts and he said “it will be the first Wednesday of the month, every month” or words to that effect.

They made a commitment, they broke it. I’m not bothered about them coming later, I’m bothered by the fact that SCEE feel perfectly at ease promising something and then choosing not to deliver it without engaging us.

@lucreto specifically.
    I’m not sure how asking for the original commitment to be met or the failure to meet it be explained constitutes special treatment. But if we are gonna talk special treatment then let’s talk.

1:1 currency conversions becoming more commonplace, even among Sony published titles, $1 flash sales for them but no equivalent here, the “spend $100 in one month get $15 back” promo that they have and we don’t, extra 10% discount codes they’ve had, their PS+ discounts are deeper, the missing games here being more commonplace, the RockBand and RockSmith DLC situation and lastly, the fact that their blog team actually post replies instead of running away.

Surely you can see that askigt for consistency in the one area SCEE actually promised while allowing them to continually fail on all those points isn’t asking for special treatment, quite the opposite in fact.

ANDROID-TM 1 April, 2015 @ 11:42 am

I ageee with you, the US gets special treatment, they also got the ps4 before us in the first place. But that’s just what happens when you make an American CEO of a (japanese) companY.

Lucreto 1 April, 2015 @ 2:15 pm

TrueMurton
    I looked around and I can’t find that statement. I looked all through that blog post and I didn’t see it. A little help would be appreciated.

Secondly, prior to 2014 both regions had different games and we did get them first causing the US people to complain about how Europe gets preferential treatment.

Thirdly, this is the only the second time since the revamp this situation has happened and it will happen again in July, then it will happen once next year in June and not again until February 2017. So from June 2014 to February 2017 that is 33 months it will happen 4 times, only 12.1% of the period. For me that is acceptable as nothing is expected to work 100% of the tim. I don’t go and complain when my bus is late once in a blue moon because something unexpected happens. I still get to where I need to go but I am late once in a while.

Your need to allow for allowances for expected problems and unexpected problems. I am contracted to work 40 hours a week Monday to Friday, I worked there for years and I don’t get the sack because I called in sick once, my boss could see it as a breach of contract which I agreed to.

I do agree about the sales. It would be nice to get some deeply discounted stuff but there must be something in EU law which prevents it. In Ireland for example the item has to be on sale for 30 days before you are allowed to reduce it. When I was younger and worked in Retail, a person complained to the watchdog when we reduced an item before the 30 day allowance. It was the 29th day and someone priced them down a day early and we were fined thousands. I don’t know much about Euro trading rules but automatically blaming Sony for being greedy without full knowledge is wrong.

Lucreto 1 April, 2015 @ 2:49 pm

Saying that I do agree companies should be held accountable but allow for mistakes, unexpected problems and change in the market. If it was a consistent thing I would be beside you complaining but it is not.

TrueMurton 1 April, 2015 @ 4:21 pm

In what way is the date on a calendar unexpected?

If in the original outline they said “first Wednesday of every month unless it means the Americans have to wait 6 days, then we’ll make you wait for 7” or if they had the good grace to explain in the update post yesterday then that would be fine, they didn’t.

Once again the blog team here had a difficult job to do so chose not to do it. A lie of omission is still a lie and I bet the store update page today will be full of comments from people who thought they’d get their PS+ content on time, is today, and these people will be ignored by Jawad, again.

Lucreto 1 April, 2015 @ 10:22 am   34

You got me there for a second. I was thinking what complete waste of money. Then I looked at the calendar and it all made sense.

Well played.

Sadly I predict very few, maybe even zero games will support this. I can’t remember the last game that used the camera, move, 3d, or dual screen and I don’t think this will be any different.

nivekw1 1 April, 2015 @ 10:29 am   36

Nice to see you have a sense of humour lol.thanks for the laugh

Hilaveli 1 April, 2015 @ 10:31 am   37

Love it XD

I started watching it and from the way the lady was teleprompter talking, I knew something was really off from the get go.

Regardless of the undertones, its not such a far fetched idea is it?

Tuulenpoika 1 April, 2015 @ 10:51 am   38

If I would have been in charge of Sony’s April Fools joke, it would have been a blog post with a title “We actually care about Vita”.

jammin24 1 April, 2015 @ 11:00 am   39

Please bring this to Vita! Rofl

Excellent April Fools entry, well played

GANTZn00b 1 April, 2015 @ 11:24 am   41

i dont think its a good idea, people may drown while playing games like that and then sue sony for it… too risky imo

hurleyboyk 1 April, 2015 @ 11:28 am   42

Does your in-game character get penalised for bombing or heavy petting?!!!!

Can’t be an April fool!!
They already did that with the pstv!

INS1GHTFUL 1 April, 2015 @ 11:32 am   44

i really like the design of the glasses. it would be cool if morpheus could be that size.
very funny post though.

Suyash335 1 April, 2015 @ 11:32 am   45

Its cool

counterUAVbaby 1 April, 2015 @ 11:47 am   46

Instead of making fun at people, how about offer great games for plus members, and have a better support, Sony? I have send an email to them in the last 2 weeks, and still no response.

GANTZn00b 1 April, 2015 @ 12:08 pm

now that ps4 multiplayer is being held hostage by the PS+ paywall , there is no need to provide good games as a part of the service anymore , great job sony taking lessons from microsoft

andrewsqual 1 April, 2015 @ 12:55 pm

Go back into your hole. You know who you are and so do I.

MrEibmoz 1 April, 2015 @ 1:09 pm

I know who you are too. Youre GANTZnOOb!

Louri_JR 1 April, 2015 @ 11:55 am   47

Shut up and take my money, hue br hue br!

Love it well done. Very nearly wanted to order one

weaselpipe 1 April, 2015 @ 12:15 pm   49

Surely the name of the poster is a step too far.
Never mind, it’s by no means the worst “brand engages with consumers via fake product” example of the day. I wonder if staff at PS Blog have a competition to see who can get the most whiney entitled IGC comments on their posts

TrueMurton 2 April, 2015 @ 6:52 am

I don’t think it’s faire to label all of the people making quite reasonable complaints as “whiners” its incredibly bad form to go to the time and effort to construct this “joke” post but not take the time to answer the questions surrounding the PS+ delay, the broken options from the new firmware, the missing games and DLC, the overcharging on the games and DLC when they finally do arrive etc.

If you tale your day to day work seriously you earn the right to have a little fun with an April Fools joke, if however you’re consistently bad and seen not to care then “jokes” like this fhaf aren’t even funny bring your priorities into question. “Sorry, we know you’ve asked all these questions that we’ve ignored, but look how funny we are” isn’t exactly the most positive message for a company is it?

weaselpipe 2 April, 2015 @ 9:27 am

TrueMurton, my comment was aimed squarely at the “could have used the money to bring all dem twiple A gaims to der plus” comments, and not at legitimate complaints. Regarding the PS plus “Delay” Fred was asked last year (when we had 2 months in a row of the IGC dropping on the last Wednesday of the prior month, then suddenly reverted back to first of the month after) that they TRY and get them out as soon as they can but nothing is guaranteed. I presume that now the EU and US are the same there are a lot more hoops to jump through which holds the announcement up.

It was almost certainly a different team that set this joke up, as a backdoor advert for project morpheus

Bladesy 1 April, 2015 @ 12:16 pm   50

Haha… u had me. I was thinking how ridiculous this was and how to hell this was going to work underwater with a ds4 controller…. then the penny dropped 🙂

Load all