Posted

Titan Souls: From Game Jam to PlayStation Store

A before and after look at Acid Nerve’s Titan-bashing indie

A year and three months ago, our team collaborated for the first time to take part in the Ludum Dare game jam that led to the Titan Souls prototype. Before the theme was announced, we sat and thought of different ways we could attempt to make a Shadow of the Colossus-inspired boss rush game in three days – an over-ambitious idea for a game jam, but that’s pretty much how we started. Once the theme, ‘You Only Get One’, was announced, our game became its own thing – an intensely difficult 1 vs 1 boss-a-thon where you have one hit point, one arrow and one task – hit their weak spot.

Titan Souls - Original 2Titan Souls - Modern 2

Luckily for us, people seemed to like it! Since almost immediately after finishing the jam, we’ve been working on the full version with Devolver Digital, and it’s amazing to see our journey from 3-day game jam to full PlayStation Store title nearing its end.

To celebrate, we’ve put together the video above showing off some of the differences between the original prototype and finished game:

• 1080p, 60fps
  • 360 degree aim and movement
  • Engine, art, animation & soundtrack remade from scratch
  • Better-balanced, more complex/varied Titans
  • Loads more polish
  • Much bigger world, many more Titans, numerous areas with hidden secrets
  • New Game Plus
Titan Souls - Original 3Titan Souls - Modern 3
21 Comments
0 Author replies

Price?

1.1

9.99 on steam, so hopefully around the same on PS.

I’m say in my car at work with my vita playing Velocity 2x but I was just thinking about this very game.
Would like a vita version.

madmanwithabox12 02 April, 2015 @ 20:09
2.1

It’s already coming to Vita.

Congratulations on nearing completion of your game.

I hope Sony don’t put this on the Instant Game Collection as I personally had my fill of 8-bit gaming a couple of decades ago.

3.1

I’m going to guess that’s either not true or your memory isn’t all that hot. I don’t remember all that many beautifully animated 1080p, 60fps games from my days with the NES.

I’ve been look forward to this one for a while.

3.2

It is amazing how many people don’t seem to know what 8 bit is/was.

demonsgalore 02 April, 2015 @ 20:56

God I can not wait for the PS4 version!!!

its games like this that are ten to a penny the difference from prototype to now is poor to say the least hopefully it wont get released on the PS4

5.1

Wow shut up.

DieFliedermouse 03 April, 2015 @ 14:57
5.2

Every thing you just said is stupid.

5.3

Fancy naming another 9?

J1had_Jack50n 03 April, 2015 @ 06:02

This is my most anticipated game from the Spring Fever thing. Is there anywhere that I can find out more about this game.

Can’t wait for this – really looking forward to slaying some Titans on my Vita :D

I’d love to be able to make something of this quality for a game-jam I do in the future. Wow :D
Looking forward to it. Amazing job.

Looks interesting and cool.
Think it’ll get more playtime on my Vita than PS4 though but that suits me.

Cross Buy?
Price?
Playstation TV compatible?

Either way I can see me picking this up Day 1.
Great work!

Crazy_Vantage 04 April, 2015 @ 10:02

I need this game so badly

I’ve just purchased a PS TV, will this be compatible?

Ever since I saw those few seconds at E3 on sonys conference, I have had this on my most wanted list. I just played the demo off steam and it is brilliant.

WOW!!

Fantastic, another Retro-game.
Unbelievably good time to be into gaming now.
Combat looks fun and varied.
Killing Titans, well i won’t say no to that.
Is a very good time to have a Vita with all these quality releases coming out.
This is exactly what i want for all my future gaming.

pablo-hassan 06 April, 2015 @ 17:29

Defo gonna try this out when released !!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history