Incoming Bloodborne update to reduce load times and optimise performance

Look out for update 1.03 later this month

We are amazed and very grateful for the way in which the community has embraced Bloodborne. As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Bloodborne has now sold through over one million copies worldwide. Thank you to everyone who has supported the project!

Today, we wanted to provide some more information regarding the next patch for Bloodborne.

As we confirmed previously, the 1.03 update seeks to reduce certain load times in addition to performance optimisations. The patch also resolves an issue that resulted in abnormal game behavior after many continuous hours of play. Additional fixes will be included as well.

The team is currently working towards a global release of the 1.03 patch before the end of the month. We will try to provide more specific timing as soon as we are able.

Please note, online play will need to be disabled for a short period of time to facilitate server-side updates. In this case, and in the case of any future server maintenance downtime, it has been determined that starting at 9am GMT on a non-Friday weekday will disrupt the fewest players globally. We will target this time for any necessary future server maintenance downtime, which will only last a couple hours in each instance.

On behalf of the Bloodborne development team, thank you for your ongoing passion and support.

Troubleshooting network issues

If you are having trouble accessing online features, please check your NAT type and ensure proper ports on your network are open.

• How to check your NAT type: Please check your NAT type by following these steps on your PS4.

PS4 Home Menu -> Settings -> Network -> View Connection Status -> NAT Type
Check whether it is Type 1, Type 2 or Type 3.

Online functionality may be restricted when playing under NAT Type 3. Please see the manual for more details.

• Opening ports / Port Forwarding: The following shows the ports necessary to connect to PSN as well as Bloodborne’s online servers. If you are having trouble connecting, please ensure that these ports are open on your network hub.

Port number required to connect to PSN:

• TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080
  • UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658

Port number required to connect Bloodborne’s online servers:

• TCP: 18671, 20443
  • UDP:9305, 9306

Please check your network hub or contact your provider for more details.

*If you are unsure of your network environment, please either refer to your network hub manual or contact your internet service provider.

171 Comments
0 Author replies

How about also fixing some of the poor game design choices, such as the lack of checkpoints, the insane difficulty spikes, and the one hit kill moves some bosses possess.

And while you’re at it, fix the physics to stop me getting stuck in the scenery when rolling into barrels.

1.1

git gud

1.2

Are you new to these types of games? It really sounds like you never played a Souls game before.
If you get killed by one hit you’re underleveled. There are enough checkpoints in the game too. More than in any other Souls game.

If the game is too hard for you, that’s OK. But please don’t dismiss it as poor game design. There are difficult games that are poorly designed. Bloodborne is not one of them.

Show more replies

-checkpoints are perfectly fine, just find shortucts back
-difficulty spikes – when game is nonlinear try other options or levelup before trying again
-get more vitality, or use proper attire for mitigating proper elemental damage

aiko_tsunakawa 14 April, 2015 @ 17:23

my only complaint so far is why leveling up is locked behind 1 insight

seems really pointless

3.1

How is this a valid complaint?
You can easily get 1 Insight by rushing to the Sewers.

TheBuxtaHuda 14 April, 2015 @ 18:39
3.2

The point is so you actually have to learn before advancing. You either have to be good enough to get to/beat a boss or to venture down to the farthest corner of the first area and be willing to use an unknown item for unknown mechanics.

BaronVonCrunch 15 April, 2015 @ 04:32
3.3

I wouldn’t say it’s pointless… it’s about 1 point.

Show more replies

i dont realy mind the long loads, but this is a great update to have anyway.
would like to see the ability to travel between white lanterns without having to go to the hunters dream.

4.1

Unfortunately, Miyazaki is not known for adding new things to his games (without it being DLC that is) so it’s highly unlikely that this will happen.

What you say would be a new addition to the game rather than it being a bug fix.

trulydeadly1 14 April, 2015 @ 18:05
4.2

Totally agree with you! There should be an option with the lanterns to activate it as a new spawn point without having to go to the hunters dream. It’s not a bug fix, but it would hard be dlc either! Just patch it in.

4.3

Yep, I agree. It would be useful to travel between lanterns.

X_Blood_Curse_X 14 April, 2015 @ 17:27

Please patch the chalice dungeon to be easier to play online.

As far as I can tell, I have to join a room made public by the host.

HOPE the host is still there

Hope the host has rang his beckoning bell

Then ring my own just to play for one of up to 5 bosses, before I get booted back to my world.

It’s not worth the trial and error, the most replayable and co-op focused part of the game is going to waste here. I don’t even care about loot, I just wanna kill some tough bosses with people. Cheers

X_Blood_Curse_X 14 April, 2015 @ 17:29
5.1

Also, I can’t find anybody in “Players met” after playing with them online. And my Bloodborne activity on PS4 (trophies, when I’ve played it ect) don’t exist. These issues don’t happen on the US version

5.2

Ye a big YES to this. Coop and matchmaking needs a major overhaul or atleast a big improvements, because its kinda half baked right now :(

5.3

Like I commented on another section below, highly unlikely cause they will have to revamp the entire system (how it works etc) and that’s going to be more than just a bug fix.

Show more replies

Please add ability to warp directly from a lamp to another lamp to remove an unnecessary load screen in cases where you don’t need to go to the hub.

6.1

having to ring the bells is the worst implementation of a “souls” like multiplayer system yet. no thrill to ever get invaded like usual.

7.1

Agreed but it makes sense, how does the Lore allow for the *searching* of other Hunters and invading them without notice.

If you ring the bell then you invite them in, it makes sense.

7.2

I like it.
I hated that in previous From games that I could’ve been invaded at any time. I don’t want to worry about that.
Unfortunetly there are locations where a “Bell ringig woman” appears without you ringig your bell.
Though the “bell ringig woman” seems bugy a little bit. When I ring my Beckoning Bell she doesn’t appear, only when someone friendly’s joined. I tought that she should appear immediatle after I ask for help.

7.3

I think the bell mechanic is great :)
And it fits with the story of the game.

I would like to see a future DLC that offers some kind of “Cosmic Phantasm” bell that allows for random invasions.

VictorAnalogy 14 April, 2015 @ 17:30

Should that read 9 *P* m GMT on a non-Friday weeknight?

8.1

I hope not.

The US blog says “1 AM PT” so it probably should be 9 AM. It’s copy-paste from the US blog as always so that’s why it speaks about weeknights and 12h clocks.

PermanentlyAngry 14 April, 2015 @ 17:31

Not really got any problems with the game per se, but I still can not fathom why there is no option to pause the game. It’s been like this since Demon’s Souls… Do I answer the phone call from the wife and die? Or do I ignore who and risk dying in real life. Just think someone should take Hidetaka Miyazki San to one side and inform him that offering gamers the ability to pause games doesn’t make things easier… Just allows me not to annoy the better half quite so much.

9.1

You answer the phone and die in-game, it’s as simple as that.
if you can’t take the loss of a death in the game then stop playing right now…

Just quit to menu takes like 1 second. Or suspend play.

9.3

Go to safety and you can answer your phone.
Or if you are in the middle of a fight, the phone can wait… No one will get hurt because you can’t answer your phone immediatly. They can wait until you call them back.

Show more replies
aiko_tsunakawa 14 April, 2015 @ 17:37

it would be nice if you could respawn enemies without going back to hunters dream like in the other souls games

10.1

Probably not going to happen since they use a whole different kind of algorithm to reset the entire world around you (e.g: mobs, objects, physics etc).

xarissolidusg 14 April, 2015 @ 21:51
10.2

There is an item called Bold Hunters Mask that allows you to respawn at the last lamp without losing your echoes but im not sure if it respawns the mobs too. Give it a try.

10.3

Just die in a safe place then you respawn at the lamp with all enemies respawned and reclaim your echoes.

Or as others have said, use a Bold Hunter’s Mark.

Great game, just got the plat a few days ago. That Watchdog in defiled dungeon though…ugh!

I hope there’ll be some DLC available eventually. Perhaps that is what that closed door near the Cathedral Ward is for? ;)

11.1

I spent 5hrs on that fight today: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCjyGYjWAAAncnq.jpg:large
That moment was worth a 100 other games!

TheBuxtaHuda 14 April, 2015 @ 23:34
11.2

IIRC the closed door is the same one behind the Cleric Beast, so it would simply connect Central Yharnam to the Cathedral Ward without going through the Tomb of Oedan.

IvyDragonfly 14 April, 2015 @ 17:40

This is all awesome!! But is there any chance of an Eileen fix in the upcoming patch?

12.1

Indeed, the questline has worked one time in four playthroughs which sucks as the Hunter of Hunters rune is one of the best imo.

BirdieYumYum 14 April, 2015 @ 17:41

Load times don’t [MODERATED] me off. Rom the ..(expletive) vacuous spider [MODERATED] me off. One of these days I’ll be dancing on his grave.

13.1

Rom was one of the easiest boss fights in the game I had.
I killed first try.
Just run at it and ignore the spiders.

extermin8or_ 15 April, 2015 @ 07:52
13.2

You have got to be joking…. “Run at it and ignore the spiders” that really doesn’t work, unless you’ve been playing for hours and the memory leaks has caused the AI to become thick…

BirdieYumYum 15 April, 2015 @ 10:18
13.3

Well, finally killed Rom this morning …just love the feeling of finally killing a Bloodborne Boss that has haunted you for days, the Tonitrus worked best for me

The elevators guys. Please fix the elevator glitches, that’s made it nearly unplayable for me, and the worst part is that it can’t be fixed unless I restart the game (which I’ve spent about 20 hrs already) and hope I don’t run into it again.

DarcyDeeAtSea 14 April, 2015 @ 23:55
14.1

Throughout my 200~ hours of gameplay I am still yet to discover any gliches or programming issues with the elevators.

14.2

What’s the problem with the elevators? I had no issues.
I read that the elevator is glitchy at Cosmos, but that’s the only one.

14.3

I got the elevator blitch also, it’s killing the game.

Many people are reporting this same bug.

Please fix the bug that causes elevators to become STUCK. I can’t get down to fight Ebriates and therefore can’t platinum the game.

15.1

You can try summoning a random or friend when close to the elevator and he/she will spawn at the bottom and can activate it for you.

15.2

Summoning doesn’t work either. Currently there is no known fix for this glitch.

15.3

There are a lot of blogs tlking about this glitch that needs attention, I myself got traped by this yesterday playing online. My elevator is stuck at the bottom and will not go up again, can have most of the trophies in one playthrough and this bothers me much because I don’t want to do it in another NG+, please, notify Fromsoftware about this glitch, it is a real pain.

BelovedRenato 14 April, 2015 @ 17:54

nessuno se ne importerà di quel che dico ma certe texture in certe zone sono un colpo in un occhio, come nel caso di certe zone sul tetto di Cainhurst Castel, sono così brutte che sono di certo una brutta distrazione dei programmatori, ci vorrebbe pochissimo ad aggiustarle ma nessuno lo farà; le stesse textures orribili di certe rocce nelle zone basse dei dungeon creati con i calici… E poi il frame rate vomitevole e la linea tozza e orribile delle statue sempre at Cainhurst Castel. I tempi di caricamento invece non sono per niente un problema per me. From Software mi raccomando fregatene di quel che ho scritto. Questo merita chi ama il vostro gioco più di voi evidentemente. Aggiungo anche che in Dark Souls per uccidere i fantasmi erano giustamente necessarie armi maledette… i fantasmi donna di Cainhurst invece si uccidono normalmente con armi normali… per tutte queste cose Dark Souls resterà inarrivabile. FROM SOFTWARE AGGIUSTA I DIFETTI CHE TI HO APPENA ELENCATO, TI PREGO!!!

...Show full comment

16.1

English!

16.2

Moaning about textures and framerate lol git gud scrub!

Uomo_che_ride 15 April, 2015 @ 11:45
16.3

Aside the angry and provocatory tone, he is complaining about the frame rate issues and the quality of some texture pointing out the zone of Cainhurst Castel’s rooftop(?) and the deepest(?) zones of the chalice dungeon as an example.

Show more replies
Agent_Blohjahb 14 April, 2015 @ 18:32

My number 1 complaint is matchmaking: most of the times it takes AGES to find pvp/coop. Even when my friends and i ring the bells on the same spot it sometimes takes 5 full minutes for us to be connected.

Also keeping the same coop functions for chalice dungeons is counter intuitive. Noone wants to do a chalice boss in their world AND in someone elses just for both of you to advance in the dungeon.

Still overall the game is great and i really HOPE there will be dlc with new weapons/armor and more variety in chalice dungeons (they are really similar and not rewarding at the moment).

BirdieYumYum 15 April, 2015 @ 10:20
17.1

I gave up on coop – I must have spent about ten insight trying to find someoneto help me with tough bosses; but no one has ever shown up :(

This is great news. Not sure if this is part of the incoming patch or not however there is the elevator glitch that needs addressing.

The elevator glitch: Which has been reported in more than just one location seems to affect players depending on how the character leaves the world via teleporting, being summoned ect. It affectively locks the elevator in one position.

Show full comment

On a separate note from the perspective of easing players into this game I understand (Yet sincerely dislike) the lack of Bell Maidens in the world which offer invasions. As of Dark 2 it seems that invasions are being curved at every opportunity. It would not be in the communities best interest to continue implementing more restrictions onto invasions. The community as a majority enjoy them and the while the minority are more vocal about there distaste for pvp it WAS an aspect of these games that made them enjoyable and added longevity to the games lifespan. It’s also a very unique aspect of the game which is why some of the community love it so much which is the capability of making our own pvp game within the actual game itself.

With invaders at the disadvantage of hp I don’t see why Bell Maidens shouldn’t spawn at every location, especially since they can be killed quite easily by those that enjoy co op or pve only.

Events: This is off the topic but I hope there are events for this game like there were in demons souls. Respawning Bell Maidens on Halloween, No Bell Maidens anywhere on Christmas things like that.

Regards,
Sanguine_01

extermin8or_ 15 April, 2015 @ 07:56
18.1

As you get further into the game the bell maidens become very common there are areas they spawn in pretty much everytime I spawn there after dying and definitely everytime I ring coop bell…

bend2squares 14 April, 2015 @ 18:45

A suggestion for an upcoming patch:

Allow players who have beaten the boss in any particular area, who are ringing their sinister bell, be invaded by others ringing their own sinister bell. At the moment once the boss is beaten it is impossible to find regular PvP as people are not allowed to invade.

Another change I would also like to see is have Bell Maidens spawn in ALL areas of the game once a player enters New Game+. As it stands there are only 3 areas in the game with naturally spawning Bell Maidens. Players have the choice to play offline or to kill the Bell Maidens if they do not wish to PvP, those who do want to invade are having almost no freedom in the areas in which they can invade…and when they can invade they are always at a 2v1 or 3v1 disadvantage, as well as having a 30% health reduction.

luckyshot5135 17 April, 2015 @ 14:55
19.1

allow me to say some people want to play online to play with friends and not be invaded and even with a password some people can still invade if simple enough I see nothing wrong with limiting the pvp areas

RedMustang72 14 April, 2015 @ 18:48

That’s all well and good, but having Platted the game last Thursday…what use is it to me now?

20.1

You stop playing games after platinum?

RedMustang72 14 April, 2015 @ 22:07
20.2

No, not always, but upon achieving a Plat there’s usually very little, if anything, left to do. In the case of Bloodborne, I’ve done and seen everything…having spent 100+ hours in the game. I could continue to play to invade/co-op but it’s not something I’d spend generous hours doing now, considering the backlog of games I have. Aside that, it wasn’t really the point I was making. :)

LuciusKhaine 15 April, 2015 @ 03:04
20.3

Grats on the plat! It seems like you are ready to move on. Well, when you do return to Yharnam once again, (DLC, we all know they are coming), at least the load time and performance will be better.

Show more replies

Spoilers.

Need elevator glitch fix, the button you step on to activate the elevator is staying depressed for the Ebrietas boss fight, summoning a coop partner doesn’t help fix this because the button won’t come back up and the recall lever doesn’t work. I can’t get two trophies, a chalice, and a gesture because of this since Annalise was killed by Alfred before I gave her a Blood Dreg.

21.1

Everything else has been a wonderful gameplay experience and I hope the glitch can be fixed soon, the Lunarium key glitch was fixed incredibly fast and I hope this fix is equally doable. Bloodborne is a work of art due to how integrated and immersive the gameplay and lore are, and should not be judged on how it measures against its forebears but on its own merit alone.

I’m on NAT 2 here and still haven’t been able to get anyone to join me on bosses. I did get invaded once, though. Sent ’em packing. ;>

luckyshot5135 17 April, 2015 @ 14:57
22.1

I carry my cannon so if I get invade they better be good at dodging otherwise nobody has killed me yet.

Will this fix the insane frame drops on the Loran Darkbeast? Hair physics are nice but the fight is impossible at 10fps. I’d rather have frames than hair physics.

HUGHxTHExHAND 14 April, 2015 @ 20:21

Allow proper co-o. If you want to get anal about doing it disable the trophy’s and or have a sperate character. Next time I see co-op on the cover of a game I’ll have to research it first.I got the plat……. Never play again

luckyshot5135 17 April, 2015 @ 14:58
24.1

yes, but trophies are simply throphies platting a game means nothing if you had no fun in doing so.

NamelessGamer505 14 April, 2015 @ 20:54

Congratulations, the game deserves it.

If you’re looking for feedback to improve the game here’s mine:
– Gameplay balance: canon is OP, make it extremely slower to reload. As it stands, its a PvP cheese. I also feel like 20 blood vials is too much, reduce it to 10 and also reduce the number of cocktails you can carry. I believe this would make the combat better.
-Content/Secrets: Every Souls game is known for having a secret if you manage to beat tutorial boss. Sadly this isn’t on BB. What if you had a cutscene variation for the first time you got into Hunter’s dream without dying?
– Minor issues: If you choose long hair, it goes through some costumes. In the elevator next to the cathedral there’s a texture that doesn’t make sense. The hunter below the other one that uses a machine gun should be able to follow you further, I see many players using a AI exploit to beat him.

I would love to see good DLC content like Artorias of the Abyss.

25.1

I have to disagree.

The cannon needs 30 STR to use in the first place, and takes 10 QS bullets per shot to use. When most people will only be able to grt 2 shots off, you realize that It’s not OP.

20 blood viles is in line with the 20 Estus flasks from Dark Souls. Blood viles do not refill like Estus, and players can completely run out of them. The mechanic is balanced. :)

25.2

Please fix:

– Co op, PVP, chalice dungeon connectivity / functionality

luckyshot5135 17 April, 2015 @ 14:59
25.3

I think it is fine as is they need not lower vials, or molotovs if a person wants to use a cannon so be it I use it to avoid invaders nothing wrong with that.

Fix the horrible framerate and fix the frame-pacing issue!How can anyone play the game with that very bad framerate its beyond me.Dieying because of the difficulty its one thing..but people die on this game because the horrible framerate that dips Bellow 30fps way often and provokes input lag on the controller,not to mention the frame-pacing issues,sutter..!Performance shoud be King on this game and not the graphics,fix the performance even if the graphics get tone down!

L_Arithmetique 14 April, 2015 @ 21:22

Online matchmaking is broken plain and simple. The pattern seems to be: start up the game > get 1-3 quick pvp matches (30 sec to 3 minutes in between matching) > then nothing for 20-40 min > 1 fight > wait another 20 min > repeat. NAT settings are not the issue here. PS4 resuming from sleep also not the problem. I’ve seen this confirmed in areas where HUNDREDS of players who are with in level range, have port forwarded and are all ringing their pvp bells are waiting 20 min between connections. PLEASE address this soon. Thank you!

I just put together a big list of things I would love to see fixed/added to Bloodborne to improve it. I will include snippets of it here:

First off here is a list of technical issues I believe should be addressed:

– Loading times (I don’t think I need to explain this one!)

– Framerate judder/dips. While nowhere near the level of Dark Souls Blight Town there can be the odd hiccup here and there. It’s nothing severe but it would be a welcome fix none the less.

– Aliasing/Shimmering. Particularly noticeable on thin objects and geometry such as branches or fences. Not sure if there is a solution for this one as applying more intensive AA methods could potentially make any pre-existing issues with performance even worse.

Show full comment

First off here is a list of technical issues I believe should be addressed:

– Loading times (I don’t think I need to explain this one!)

– Match making. Everyone (myself included) seems to be having a tough time finding matches (for co-op or PvP). It can be particularly frustrating when trying to co-op a chalice dungeon with a friend. Even after setting a password, using the same chalice glyph, standing in the EXACT same spot and synchronising bell ringing it still doesn’t want to work the majority of the time. I was hoping match making would improve after a few weeks but it still seems to be very inconsistent.

– Clipping. Ok so this one bugs me in particular but I can understand if you don’t care about it. Basically there are a lot of clothing items (and hair in particular) that clip through one another. Of course this is a natural side effect when a game utilizes cloth physics so lavishly but it can become a bit of an eye saw at times. If you keep any weapon on your characters back and are wearing anything that flows or flaps when you run the clipping can be quite severe at times (e.g Ludwig’s Holy Blade can be particularly bad). Not sure what to suggest that could fix cloth collision but I would really like FromSoft to address hair clipping/collision issues. This is really only going to be a problem if your character has long/shaggy hair (or a beard) and is particularly apparent on anything with a pronounced collar (so basically 90% of all clothes in the game!). – POST CONTINUES IN NEXT COMMENT –

– CONTINUING FROM PREVIOUS COMMENT –

– There are two potential fixes for the hair clipping/collision issue. One is to disable hair physics when wearing certain items of clothing to prevent clipping when in motion. The other (which leads me onto my next point) is to allow us to edit our characters appearance at any point in the game.

– So I believe this should be a feature of ANY RPG that allows character creation. There are not many games I can think of that let us alter the appearance of our character after the initial creation process at the start of the game but I desperately want that to change (Dragons Dogma and Fallout 3 are the only two I can remember right now). I feel like FromSoftwares games in particular suffer from this lack of feature because we are stuck with the characters we make for such a long time and are totally unable to tweak their appearance in any capacity.

Show full comment

– CONTINUING FROM PREVIOUS COMMENT –

Perhaps if we were only allowed to edit/modify our characters hair/facial hair and apparel (such as glasses) then it may be an acceptable compromise. It seems like an easy thing to implement into the game and would even make sense in the context of Bloodborne (giving its dreamlike/lucid setting). There is even a mirror in the Hunter’s Dream workshop where this feature could be added! Either that or put an option in the main menu or even give us the option to alter our characters appearance at the start of new game +… This is one feature I would love to see added (even if it meant purchasing it in the form of a DLC).

– An option to disable chromatic aberration. This has been a highly requested option among many people and I definitely agree. The main problem with CA in Bloodbornes case is that it seems to emphasise or draw more attention to the aliasing issues I mentioned above. CA adds red/green contrasting colours to the edges of objects (with the intensity increasing the further from the centre). As a result it can make a lot of people dizzy or “blurry eyed” when looking at the edges of the screen. To be honest I don’t find CA totally out of place in a game like Bloodborne, when the game revolves around the concept of dreams and such. But FromSoft should still provide us with an option in the menu to disable it if we choose. – POST CONTINUES IN NEXT COMMENT –

– CONTINUING FROM PREVIOUS COMMENT –

– More HUD options. Dark Souls 2 introduced a brilliant new optional feature where the HUD would minimize after a few seconds of inactivity. The HUD would remain in its minimized form until you pressed the attack button (if I recall correctly) so for the most part when you were just running around the HUD would remain compact and discreet. Unfortunately this feature wasn’t carried over into Bloodborne which only gives us two options for the HUD, all on or all off. It would be great if they could add an auto hide/minimize feature for the HUD or even just provide an opacity/transparency slider (which would REALLY help with screen burn in!).

Show full comment

– CONTINUING FROM PREVIOUS COMMENT –

– Photo/Filter mode. I really don’t expect this to ever come to Bloodborne but after seeing it being added to games like Infamous Second Son, The Last of Us Remastered and more recently The Order 1886 I can’t help but feel every current gen game should have this feature. I know given the “always online” functionality of FromSoftwares games it may not be suitable but there is no reason they couldn’t make it an offline mode only feature.

– Add item info on loading screens. This one is really odd, for some reason they decided to make Bloodbornes loading screens as bare as possible with just the games logo on display. In past Souls games we were treated to item descriptions or even images of NPCs in the case of Demon’s Souls. They always made the loading times slightly more bearable as we had something to read at least. But given how long Bloodbornes loading times can be it just makes the decision to remove any reading material for players all the more perplexing. I understand if they want to remove the risk of any spoilers to the games plot but surely they could have given us something to keep us occupied considering how much we are staring at that black screen and Bloodborne logo.

– POST CONTINUES IN NEXT COMMENT –

DarcyDeeAtSea 15 April, 2015 @ 00:07
30.1

The HUD in BB is much, much more discreet as a whole compared to any of the other FromSoft games, taking up far less of the screen but still managing to be very informative and accessible when needed. The “inactive HUD” feature is one that doesn’t need to be implemented at all. I do like the suggestion of an opacity slider though, just to be able to clean it up to preference would be nice.

– CONTINUING FROM PREVIOUS COMMENT –

Now I will move onto suggestions for possible gameplay improvements:

Show full comment

– CONTINUING FROM PREVIOUS COMMENT –

Now I will move onto suggestions for possible gameplay improvements:

– Make lamps function like bonfires did in Dark Souls. So in Dark Souls each and every bonfire you encountered would allow you to rest and restock supplies (while re-spawning all enemies), repair your weapons, access your storage box, level up and warp from bonfire to almost every other bonfire. This was such a convenient system and it puzzled me greatly why it was later removed in Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne. I understand that you didn’t have any specific NPC like the Maiden in Black, Emerald Herald or Doll that would handle levelling up in Dark Souls. But it feels odd to refine the system after Demon’s Souls then go back to the old system for DS2 and BB. Ideally they could find a way to balance it so that it gives us the convenience of Dark Souls bonfires with the character interaction of the other games. I really like those NPCs in the other games but you just can’t argue with the sheer convenience Dark Souls system brought to the table. Perhaps the best case scenario is if the Doll still retained her purpose as the levelling up NPC and the lamps granted all the remaining features (resting/restocking, repairing, storage, warping). With such long loading times the ability to just warp from lamp to lamp without having to go back to the Hunter’s Dream first would be a particularly welcome addition.

– An item that lets us respec our points. This one’s very straight forward, Soul Vessels in Dark Souls 2 let us reset our characters assigned skill points and change them how we saw fit. I thought this worked well in DS2 as Soul Vessels were very hard to come by so the respec process couldn’t be done continuously. An item similar to the Soul Vessel would be very welcome in Bloodborne and could be used via the Doll.

– An item that lets us respawn bosses. Again just like another item in Dark Souls 2, Bonfire Aesthetics let you respawn the boss of that area while pushing that entire area into NG+ (or further). It also made certain items and enemies respawn such as crystal lizards which made material farming SO much easier (I’m looking at you Dragon Aerie!). We should therefore we allowed to apply this item to any lamp we encounter in the game so that it functions just like the Bonfire Aesthetics.

– POST CONTINUES IN NEXT COMMENT –

– CONTINUING FROM PREVIOUS COMMENT –

– Button remapping. Specifically an option to change the input for certain commands such as jumping. This is only a niggling issue but it wouldn’t hurt given the fact that we were allowed to swap the jump command to L3 in DS2.

– Unique visceral attacks/executions for each weapon type. Ok so this one will definitely not be added in any updates (or DLC either probably) but maybe for the inevitable sequel. The visceral “claw gut wrench” attack is pretty fun to pull off in Bloodborne but just imagine how much cooler it would be if each weapon (including guns) had its own unique execution. Although considering the fact that nearly every weapon has an alternate form this may require too much work. Maybe we could have one for slashing weapons, blunt weapons, thrust weapons and guns?

Right that’s all the improvements and fixes I can think of for now but please contribute by suggesting what else could be added or changed to make the game even better.

...Show full comment

– CONTINUING FROM PREVIOUS COMMENT –

DarcyDeeAtSea 15 April, 2015 @ 00:16
32.1

Button remapping is already a feature that is built into the PS4 as of the last QoL patch. So it need not be implemented into the game at all seeing as how the system handles that part already.

A lot of these features that you suggested while some good, some questionable and others I feel unnecessary most will not be implemented into the game at any point in it’s life-cycle. A lot of the features you mentioned would almost require redevelopment of the game from the core. Eg, Bonfire Aesthetics, Lantern interaction almost removing the need for the Hunter’s Dream as a central hub and chromatic aberration.

I like how you’re passionate about BB and how it can improve though, it shows how much you are into it and how much you care about it.

Eileen the Crow did not appear in my game at all please fix this bug. I now have to start new game+ to get her gear.

extermin8or_ 15 April, 2015 @ 08:01
33.1

Who is this? I’m on ng+ and never heard of her….

33.2

Spoiler-

Go to the Grand Cathedral if already killed Vicar Amelia.

Pls fix the bug that you will get instakilled from moon presence as a phantom. Its annoying

34.1

This is a story-based game mechanic. Sounds like you need get more “Insight” (Bloodborne’s version of ‘humanity’) to be able to see it.

NoAssociation 14 April, 2015 @ 23:56

Will this patch fix the elevator (lift) near a certain optional boss? I’ve been waiting to beat the game until I can defeat this boss, but the lift is stuck and there is no other way to access it.

Please fix Ebrietas elevator bug !!! :(

JudgeAndPoet 15 April, 2015 @ 03:17

Please address the Altar of Despair elevator bug, along with all the other elevator bugs.

If im repeating what someone else has said then im sorry…with that being said this message is void if the patch fixes this issue.

The level gap for finding players seems to be too small in my opinion. I LOVE this game and i play it with a friend and he seems to have more time than i do which causes him to almost always be ahead of me by quite a few levels. I have trouble staying withing 10 levels especially when leveling up cost 100k+ blood. When i try to connect to anyone else, either its part of the netqork issue that is being addressed with the new patch, or the community just doesnt level past this point, or im out of range of other players which would really disappoint me considering there should be 1mil other players. Please consider increasing the gap just a little possibly??

Please look into the effect of the camera auto correct function. When entering a nightmare fog with camera auto correct off the FPS will dip to almost 1 to 2 FPS for up to 20 seconds and then recover. When the camera auto correct is enabled there is no loss of FPS entering the nightmare fog. This may be true elsewhere when fog is present, but is extreme when zoning into a boss battle after a death.

Sounds good. I shelved the game to go back to Dark Souls 2, I’ll wait a little longer for this patch before I go back. I want to re-roll anyway.

Light300Speed 15 April, 2015 @ 11:06

Please fix ‘Lost Connection … returning to main menu’ issue. It happens 9/10 attempt when using red or small resonant bell !!! Its an annoying bug.

luckyshot5135 17 April, 2015 @ 15:05
41.1

this happened to me for the first time today is it really bad, I haven’t had it since.

I found a nasty bug. I killed Amygdala in story mode and it did not unlock the trophy and did not give me the chalice she drops or the chalice trophy. Anyone else have this huge problem?

threestepguide 15 April, 2015 @ 13:22

“We’re continuing to monitor popular communities and forums for feedback, in addition to the comments below, so please share any other issues or questions you may have.”

If you ask:

First and foremost, I’d like to thank Hidetaka Miyazaki, Sony, the teams at FromSoftware, Japan Studios and anyone else involved in making this game a reality! Demon’s Souls was my very first Platinum trophy, I often feel the same satisfaction in playing this game as I did with Demon’s Souls. Dark Souls as well and thanks for Dark Souls II on PS4; it may have been my least favorite but still very enjoyable on PS4.

Show full comment

I love how Bloodborne feels like a mix of Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls, when it comes to the world design and layout. Many people complain that warping to the Hunter’s Dream is a unnecessary step, those people “imo” have either forgot or never played Demon’s Souls. The only difference is that Demon’s Souls had many of the games NPC’s in the Nexus, which made it interesting when traveling back. I have yet to beat Bloodborne but have only interacted with two NPC’s so far, and many of the Nexus’s secrets would unravel accordingly, whereas in Bloodborne I have yet to encounter much change as of now. I’m pretty far in but am not expecting too much of a change.

I’m really pleased with Bloodborne, difficulty and all, and am wondering if there’s any DLC in the works?

I know that Artorias of the Abyss wasn’t planned DLC, as Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls were complete games, but I’m crossing my fingers because Artorias of the Abyss was more like an expansion, not DLC. That was a smart move finishing that DLC even though it cost Miyazaki his major roll in Dark Souls II but lead to Bloodborne. Funny how things work… Sorry for the rant everyone but I’m loving this game way too much to not say my piece!

You should probably fix the nasty Bug about the Elevators – for example the Elevator glitch at lumenflower Garden, its stuck so many Player cant take the Boss anymore except newgame+ This is destroying the whole Game experience. I am also waitin for the fix so that i have all Chalices and all Bosses taken before ng+.

I hope you noticed this Bug already

Best Regards

Please fix:

– Co op, PvP, Chalice Dungeon connectivity / functionality

The loading times haven’t diminished my enjoyment of the game, though I feel that loading tips or item descriptions would have been good, like in DS as at least you have something to read then and it often helped me understand things about the game a bit more.

For me the framerate is the biggest issue. It’s almost unplayable in coop with 2 other players most of the time. Even in single player it gets pretty choppy here and there and I’ve had hits not registering because of it. Rarely, but still. Personally I would have sacrificed the little messengers for better overall performance. Maybe that’s not how it works but it seems to me they use a lot of memory that would be better used elsewhere. There was nothing wrong with the old messages and bloodstains IMO. Not to mention the fact that the bloodstains often don’t work anyway!

Show full comment

I’ve seen a few bugs with enemies getting stuck in the air, or floating about. Even hitting me through the floor when they are floating in a room underneath – Old Yharnam just down the first set of steps in particular.

I’ve had a few crashes. The main one I remember was that the Frontier headstone became available before I found any of the lamps there. I clicked on it and it crashed.

next comment…

48.1

I can only speak for myself but I have never noticed any issues with the framerate. Doesn’t matter if I use Beckoning Bell, Small Resonat Bell etc. Me and a friend also co-op quite often together and he has no issues either. We haven’t noticed anything neither on our way to a boss, in a boss fight or when we get invaded. So even in co-op when we are three players in total we can’t notice any difference.
Only thing this far is that it can take a couple of minutes before we find each other after ringing the bells, but once teamed up it runs fine.

Can’t explain why it works fine for me and not for you, but can it perhaps be an issue combined with latency? We have at minimum 10/10 fiber connections and using switches instead of routers etc. I know that framrate and lag isn’t the same thing but if there are some issues with the framrate, everything will propably get more bad if latency issues also are added to the mix.

We have of course not tested every single are yet, and this may perha...

Show full comment

We have of course not tested every single are yet, and this may perhaps change things, but we have come quite far in the game and no issues yet.

No expert, just a thought :)

I don’t mind not warping between lamps, but not being able to reset the enemies and your health etc for grinding is such a pain. As other people have said, it was one of my least favourite things for Demon’s Souls that FROM fixed and made much better for DS. Can’t see why they would go back to this system personally. Same goes for storing and repairing, especially with no repair items!

Show full comment

I know it won’t be changed as it’s a whole UI system but the blood gem system is so bad. They look crap and you just end up with so many things that look the similar and aren’t organised very well. It’s just a very irritating system that seems deliberately awkward and unintuitive. Likewise I miss the rings which have been changed for the Runes. I miss being able to change between these as I go through the world. I’m the kind of person who changes armour and rings depending on enemies, coop, bosses etc and I can’t see why the designers put this shoddy system in place. It’s not terrible, but the fact that the one you have selected for each slot is not greyed out in the next slot is a bit irksome. They don’t even look particularly cool like the rings did.

I also have the problem with not seeing player’s met when I’m playing coop with strangers, though other people have sent me messages.

Fangs_of_Komodo 15 April, 2015 @ 19:28

As a Demon’s and original Dark Souls long time player with hundreds of hours in those games utilizing online, mainly for pvp, my biggest concern right now is the online for bloodborne. Load times are bad, but imo not as bad or as urgent as fixing the matchmaking system/online. What kept those games more or less running after the initial 2-3 weeks was the online aspect. The main content is amazing for bloodborne, probably my favorite of the games, however its online connectivity is garbage in comparison and NEEDS to be fixed, ASAP!

Show full comment

Connecting to the servers isn’t the problem, from what you might think by adding all the NAT/ports talk. Connecting to other players is the problem, both design wise and actual connectivity wise. I have NAT 2. Always connected to PSN. Always connected to servers. I see messages fine. I see bloodstains fine. I see ghost fine. The thing I can’t do is A, co-op with ease in less then 2 min, and B, invade or get invaded with ease in less than 2 min. Dark Souls was the definition of online fun after its patch 1.05. Constant invasions. Always summoning signs near boss doors for almost every boss. Darkroot Garden was a HAVEN for pvp, literally nonstop invasions, one after the other thanks to the covenant system there.

Bloodborne doesn’t have this. It takes 5-10 minutes at the MINIMUM to invade or summon someone, sometimes it takes 20 min+ for 1 match to go through. I can live with 40 second load times, I can’t live with 10+ minutes of just waiting around trying to invade someone, or summon someone to help me with a boss at the correct level in the area (lv60 frontier, lv80 mensis). Password summoning is faster but that still takes time to search for people who want to help rather then like in DS you’d simply see a sign and summon them. The game’s online is going to die out if you don’t fix it soon From/Sony, for those that have beaten the game, created multiple characters to pvp with, the only thing for us to do is multiplayer pvp yet can’t because the servers are horrible, and the conditions of invading/summoning/ringing bells is bad. Make it so Bell maidens appear in other stages besides nightmares. Cathredral ward, hemwick in day, cainhurst, forbidden forest, etc. Make them RESPAWN. MAKE THEM SPAWN IN THE AREA EVEN AFTER A BOSS IS DEFEATED! The only way as an invader to invade is solely reliant on these bell maidens, which only 3-4 areas actually have them by default. Please fix this issue ASAP!!!! TY <3

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history