Acclaimed strategy game The Escapists is coming soon to PS4

Bust out of prison in the latest from Mouldy Toof and Team17

Hi PlayStation Blog readers! Here at Team17 Towers we have some really exciting news to share with you guys. We’re thrilled to announce that together with independent developer Mouldy Toof, we’ll be releasing the award-winning sandbox prison escape game The Escapists on PlayStation 4 soon!

A strategy game of captive survival and daring schemes, The Escapists gives you the ‘freedom’ to live the life of a prison inmate, plotting and pulling off a daring escape!

Escaping won’t be easy though. You’ll have to work around the strict prison schedule and avoid the unwanted attention of guards. Craft weapons and tools found (or stolen) from within the prison, but beware of cell shakedowns. Get a job or perform “favours” for your fellow inmates to purchase vital supplies, all while scouting escape routes.

CenterPerks_Digging_CellCenterPerks_Digging_UndergroundCenterPerks_Fun_GuardDucktaped

All that stands between you and freedom is a perfectly executed escape plan. It’s ‘make or break’ time.

There are six unique prisons to escape – from the minimal security of Centre Perks to the harsh confines of the Stalag Flucht POW camp. On top of that there are six different methods to bust your way out, including digging out and prison takeovers!

You’ll need some cash to put your escape plan to action. You can earn those vital funds by choosing one of the 10 prison jobs including Laundry, Janitor, Mail Man, Metal Shop, Kitchen, Wood Work, Tailor, Deliveries, Gardener and Library work. Or you can even perform favour requests from the other in-mates to earn some extra income!

SanPancho_GymShankton_JanitorStalag_Poster

There are over 200 items in the game to find including 50+ craftable items. You’ll need to gather the necessary items you’ll need to craft items for your escape plan. Craft tools such as Cutters, Shovels, Sheet Ropes and weapons such as the Sock Mace, Comb Blade or Cup of Molten Chocolate!

The Escapists will be coming soon to PlayStation 4! Keep watching PlayStation Blog for more news from us regarding the release!

Thanks for reading – we’re looking forward to hearing tales of all your escape plans soon!

Stalag_Showers

31 Comments
4 Author replies

What about Vita and PSTV?

1.1

What about just not complaining for once?

1.3

Because us Vita players have to practically beg for games now. We’re not getting any first-party support.

Show more replies
counterUAVbaby 15 April, 2015 @ 12:06

Yay! #4thePlayers

infernalmonkey1 15 April, 2015 @ 12:10

Nice! Hope it gets a retail release like the XB1 version did last year.

Also yeah, a Vita port would be fantastic.

supersmith2500 15 April, 2015 @ 12:17
3.1

It should, Worms Battlegrounds and Flockers also a got a physical release.

Another game announcement missing a price. This is stating to get old…

European_Gamer 15 April, 2015 @ 12:33
4.1

I’m sure you will hear the price before it’s out on the store.

Nosignalinput 15 April, 2015 @ 13:02
4.2

It’s £14.99 on Xbox One so that should give you some idea. I imagine it will be the same.

Michael Shillingford 15 April, 2015 @ 13:47
4.3

We’ll have price and release date for you soon, keep an eye out here on the PS Blog!

Hurray. Was waiting for it. Knew it was bound to happen! Now we just need a Vita version as well :p

Michael Shillingford 15 April, 2015 @ 13:49
5.1

\O/ we can’t wait either Rawanz!

BirdieYumYum 15 April, 2015 @ 12:25

Throw in some Suge Knight DLC and I’m in

ImmovableTonyG1 15 April, 2015 @ 12:49

I am so done with retro games

If this makes it onto Vita/PSTV, That will be enough for me to justify buying it again.

DragonxTortoise 15 April, 2015 @ 13:20

yay another retro game :( Is there some free pixel art-game designing kit or something?…

Michael Shillingford 15 April, 2015 @ 13:52
9.1

Hey DragonxTortoise!

The developer (Mouldy Toof Studios) wanted to create a hark back to retro games, you can find out more about the art style of the game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9zDzePNGhs

9.2

thats cool just need to find my atari 64xe it should do the trick….but siriously stop with this retro looking crap we want to play in games on ps4 that look like ps4 games… what a waste of time you are….

9.3

Not all games have to be 3D, realistic and high-poly.

Creating pixel art and sprites is just as hard and time consuming, especially what you need to hand craft every frame of animation by hand.

I bought a PS4 for games, not graphics.

I see you have FEZ, Titan Attacks, Steamworld Dig and Binding of Issac. You can hardly moan.

Great news but reckon I’d rather play it on my Vita if I had the choice!

fingers crossed for a vita version :) love the look of this game.

HomessaHomem 15 April, 2015 @ 14:23

I NEED THIS IN MY VITA, PPPPPPPPPPlease!

One question: Will this have a platinum trophy? I and I’m sure a lot of other people will be purchasing it based on this.

Well I certainly skip a lot of games that don’t have a platinum, it’s not a complete dealbreaker for me but if they don’t bother putting in a platinum I’ll just assume the developer doesn’t think highly of its game and shouldn’t be more then €5,00.
Also on the XBOne it has 1000gs so if I would buy it the choice just got made easy.

14.1

Actually, Sony have strict requirements whan it comes to implementing Platinums. This is from the president of Gaijin Games.

‘Hello,
The detailed answer is under NDA with Sony.
Basically, there are ‘Full’ games and ‘Small’ games. Full games have Platinum, small ones – don’t.
Full games will have different attitude from Sony’s evaluation group and have special requirements regarding quality and amount of content. Distribution method is not relevant, although most of retail games are full games.’

It’s an odd one really, as Farming Simulator on Vita, which is based on the iOS Casual Edition contains a Platinum Trophy, yet the PS3 version, which is based on the PC version, does not.

14.2

I’m aware of the quote, it came from the Ground Zeroes doesn’t have a platinum questions.
I just don’t believe it since what constitutes as a full game as you yourself has mentioned is completely random.
That’s why I think there aren’t any rules and more of a deal/link you have with Sony, how much you pay or if it’s developers are allowed how much time they’re willing to put time into that extra trophy you usually don’t see on the competitor.
Why doesn’t Retro City rampage get a platinum but Hotline Miami does?
htoLNiQ: The Firefly Diary gets a platinum but Child of Light doesn’t?
White Night seems like a 3 to 5 hour game with a platinum but several other exploring games don’t have one.
And on that subject how come the Walking Dead Season 2 doesn’t have a platinum while every other game after the first Season does, if something isn’t fishy there I don’t know what is.

14.3

I never said it was random, I said it was odd.

The PS VIta game, Flame Over has a Platinum, and that’s a fairly small game, but with big replayability.

I guess the difficulty of a game is taken into account in the process too.

Show more replies

I’m apologize I didn’t mean to quote you, I at least should have put a komma after mentioned but even then I can see how it seems like I’m using your words, I was however paraphrasing.
Anyway I just simply don’t believe it, and if they have strict rules the ones doing the evaluation have a heavily subjective input.
I only played Trials HD on the 360 but not giving Trials Fusion a platinum means difficulty doesn’t really matter to me.

Please bring this to Vita or at least ensure you implement a suitable Remote Play control scheme.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history