PlayStation Plus in May: Ether One, Hohokum, Murasaki Baby, more

Guacamelee!, The Unfinished Swan and Race the Sun also join the service

It’s that time of the month again! That’s right, a fresh batch of PlayStation Plus games are just seven days away, so if you haven’t already done so make sure you pick up all of April’s goodies before they disappear.

Without further ado, let’s crack on with the great games coming your way on 6th May:

Ether One (PS4)

First up this month on PS4 is yet another day one title for PS Plus. I’m extremely excited to present the mind-twisting adventure Ether One from the extremely talented team at White Paper Games.

There are two ways to approach Ether One. At its core is a story exploration path free from puzzles where you can unfold the game’s mysterious story at your own pace. But you can also take a deeper, more adventurous approach in which you’ll have to tackle complex puzzles. The choice is up to you.

Hohokum (PS4, PS3 and PS Vita)

Finally this month make sure you pick up Hohokum. Take on the role of a curious flying kite-like being. Along your travels through the vibrant world, you’ll uncover secrets by interacting with elements around you in different ways. At its heart, Hohokum is a playground — a place to wander about and get lost in. Expect an mesmerising, expressive creation that’s unlike anything you’ve ever played before.

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4)

Next up, a supersized version of one our favourite PS3 and PS Vita titles. Guacamelee! More than just a port, the Super Turbo Championship Edition of Guacamelee! includes all the DLC and a whole chunk of brand new content, so even if you have previously played this on PS3 there’s plenty here to tempt you back in!

guac_stce_screenshot_c

The Unfinished Swan (PS4, PS3 and PS Vita)

Enter the surreal world of The Unfinished Swan and explore a mysterious, hidden kingdom. Your journey will be led by a runaway swan who guides you through strange levels filled with bizarre creatures. Each level offers new twists, challenges and puzzles, until you eventually come face-to-face with the eccentric king that built this realm.

Race the Sun (PS4, PS3 and PS Vita)

Next up, a title that will really test your gaming skills where speed is a vital element in your survival. In Race the Sun you play as a solar-powered craft that slows down in the shadows. Look out for speed boosts to help you complete objectives and unlock helpful power-ups.

Murasaki Baby (PS Vita)

We’ve something truly unique for PS Vita owners this month. The stunning debut from Ovosonico tells the story of a little girl who wakes up in a weird world, populated by children’s fantasies and fears. Holding a purple, heart-shaped balloon in her hand, she feels lost, homesick and vulnerable. She wants her mommy…

In summary

Leaving PS Plus:

Entering PS Plus:

Don’t miss out! Make sure add any of the games scheduled to leave the service to your download list now to ensure you get to play them!

Not a PlayStation Plus member? Then join today from just £5.49/€6.99 p/m. To find out more visit our PlayStation Plus site.

Remember, if you’ve not got access to your PS4, PS3 or PS Vita then you can also buy through our online store.

474 Comments
0 Author replies

Click on one of the two comments below that corresponds better on how you feel about this ps+ update.
Please, click only one (and vote one time only), so that the results are representative of our feelings towards it. Thank you.

1.1

>> I enjoy this month’s ps+ update.

1.2

>> I don’t enjoy this month’s ps+ update.

1.3

Lolololol @Sony stop being tight, scroogies! =0

Finallygotit_Pom 29 April, 2015 @ 16:38

This month’s rumors seem be completely off the target.

2.1

The German store has “leaked” Knack several times now. If the source is related to the German store/blog then completely disregard it.

2.2

Yeah, NFS Rivals, Knack, Rayman Legends, Shovel Knight (!), Fruit Ninja and Asphalt Injection… oh well, better luck next time. NOT!

counterUAVbaby 29 April, 2015 @ 16:39

Hahahahaha, that’s a good joke! :)

counterUAVbaby 29 April, 2015 @ 16:47
3.1

And I’m laughing so bad now!, because I see on each game #4theplayers! LOLOLOL. Sony must be trying to troll us.

..you don’t have PS+ why is this of any concern to you?

counterUAVbaby 30 April, 2015 @ 13:35
3.3

@wadud92 Yes, it is my concern, because I own a PS3 and wating for some great game on Plus to renew.

5 Ps4 games!? AWESOME!!

Ikr!!! I know whats gonna fill my month now :D

4.2

Im surprised they don’t make it clear some of these are CROSS-BUY in the trailer or article.

Which brings much more value to this bundle and people would like this much more………..

4.3

Are you kidding me??? All of them sucks… =(

I hate indie games …

5.1

And i like them so its all good.

X_Blood_Curse_X 29 April, 2015 @ 16:54
5.2

I don’t hate indie games. Things like Rogue Legacy & Unfinished Swan are great. But the fact that PS+ is nothing but cheap indie games that have been on sale before it’s starting to get on my nerves. Put some money back into your service Sony, what are you doing with all this money we give you?

you can’t hate indie games man, seriously, there are some real gems out there. Fact is that a playstation plus month with only indie games seems kinda cheap from the sony side, but that doesn’t mean indie games are to be hated man. Seriously, all big developer companies who seem to be losing it atm once started off as people who wanted to change the game, make an impact, hell, even EA at some point must have felt that way. The thing is, the current state of the gaming industry seems to be: milking the “gamer” because gaming has gone mainstream now and “gamers” are willing to pay whatever for DLC and SEASON PASSES and F2P games… If you ever want to be concidered a decent gamer, it’s time to make a stance. But hey, whatever, right, mainstream for everyone! sigh*

Show more replies

This is an exceptionally poor selection. There’s indie, and then there’s “stuff that didn’t sell”. It didn’t sell for a reason.
Guacamelee aside, of course. I’ll reserve judgement on Either One but I do think that this could have been a great deal better.

6.1

Forgot Unfinished Swan as well. That looks interesting at least. Really though, this is just poor.

The Unfinished Swan is awful. I got that and Journey for a tenner a long time ago, I’d of rather just spent the tenner on Journey

6.3

New game plus on Bloodborne it is, then.

Show more replies

I have mixed feelings about this.
The good thing is I only have Guacamelee! and most of the games are cross buy, people that actually dont have all the three consoles will get more games this month.
The bad thing is that none of them looks like a big game that will keep me for more than a couple of hours, but as always I will download them and try them. I have founds lot’s of hidden gems through PS plus.

fps_d0minat0r 29 April, 2015 @ 16:43
7.1

yeah we all have guacamelee because it’s already been on PS+

madmanwithabox12 29 April, 2015 @ 16:44
7.2

^This is the right kind of mentality to have. People dismiss things without even trying them.

7.3

@fps_d0minat0r I was thinking that. I guess technically it was a different version. They gave out the original version on PS3+Vita but never the one that’s shown here for PS4.
Still feels like they’re giving out the same game twice though.

fps_d0minat0r 29 April, 2015 @ 16:42

Why are we getting guacamelee again?

and that was on games with gold ages ago as well.

8.1

This is the final ‘Ultra’ edition, includes many new changes and content compared to the first version and gold version.

8.2

fps_d0minat0r 29 April, 2015 @ 17:22
8.3

I read the post when the turbo edition was originally released… theres just not enough changes to NOT call it the same game.

And anyone who liked the game that was previously on PS+ already bought the main DLC packs available for that (like I did).

Anyone who didnt care back then, still probably doesnt. If they do, they can download the PS3/vita version, theres no good reason for it to take up a space in this months PS+ again.

Show more replies

I know it won’t please everyone, but that’s a solid line up. Guacamelee is really excellent and I loved Murasaki Baby and Hohokum.

9.1

Solid? Guess I must lower my standards by alot.

You should try Unfinished Swan, it’s amazing.

madmanwithabox12 29 April, 2015 @ 16:43

And here come the complaints. Guacamelee!, Murasaki Baby and Unfinished Swan are all great games. I can’t really vouch for the others, but I don’t suppose it matters. People are going to write them off as “indie garbage”.

fps_d0minat0r 29 April, 2015 @ 16:49
10.1

People wouldnt hate on them so much if it wasnt blatently obvious that they are given priority because paying off a man making games in his basement is easier than trying to get quality AAA games on the service.

AmorousBadger1 29 April, 2015 @ 20:02
10.2

Exactly which almost-certainly-less-than-year-old-and-prettythin-on-theground-still-AAA games should they be letting you play for free?

fps_d0minat0r 29 April, 2015 @ 20:57
10.3

@ AmorousBadger1
I never said it has to be less than a year old, but its not like that wouldnt be possible since that has already been done in the past when PS+ was better than it is now.

For PS3 I really dont understand why its gone downhill so much, and PS4 its coming to the time where the excuse where its still new and games cost a lot is over.

Show more replies

Very bad month for me, but I’ll give them all a try, for sure :)

Quite honestly this is by far one of the worst months I have ever seen. For a start we are now 18 months into the ps4 lifespan and still no real full price games . Also no sign at all this month of a full priced PS3 game . I really hope this isn’t a sign of things to come . Just be glad I need a psplus account to play my games , or else you would quite possibly losing a very long time subscriber . Please try harder Sony .

12.1

Im sure there are plenty of Xbox One users saying the same on the other side. No one is ever happy about anything.

milanbarca82 29 April, 2015 @ 17:20
12.2

Umm… Injustice on PS4. That was a full priced game, no?

12.3

We are Sony’s customers so I really don’t see how can Xbox be relevant to bad PS Plus line-ups.

Sony – April Fools’ Day was on the 1st of April

What a lame line-up!

Ether one looks like a enjoyable game. Also didn’t we aldready get Guacamelee on the 27th November 2013?(Wiki)

Shame Hohokum finally made it to PS+, Sony’s most overhyped indie game.

14.1

I heard it’s a bit of a stretch to even call it a game.
It’s a program for people who think ukuleles are socially acceptable.

14.2

This is the ps4 version with all the DLCs, it was never a cross buy with the ps3/vita version

cowboyyeehaa1 29 April, 2015 @ 17:31
14.3

Dude check out The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain….Brilliant.

Where do you stand on Kazoos?……

I wanted to buy 4 of these games, so great month for me

FilmMaker2009 29 April, 2015 @ 16:48

Yes! Wicked stoked for Guacamelee! Is this version of it cross play at all? Because the plan was to get the Vita version. Either way, I’m excited to finally play it.

16.1

IF you mean cross buy, it is not. This is the full version with all the DLCs on it. Great game.

That’s the first time that I’ll use that word to describe the content of Plus: It’s utter trash.

Not a single game that ever had a value above 15€ (aka no AAA) and Guacamelee graces the IGC a second time?
Sorry,. sure there are some few quality indies in there. But doesn’t change that this offer is, as already said, indeed trash.

Your cheap treatment of Plus is not appreciated Sony. I thought you should know.

Oh, did I mention the incredible mass of puzzle games once again?

You remember that poll that you made a long time ago SCEE, when PLUS was still awesome and you really cared about our wishes?
Yes, puzzle games ranked last in that one.

But yeah, these days you care so much about “variety”, “diversity” and “innovation” so that you … decided to give us masses of that one type of game that everyone demands at least.

That’s some kind of consumer orientation!

So dear gamers, the message here is: Sony wants to make it very clear that is their upmost intention to offer you the absolute opposite of whatever you consider valuable and interesting.

17.2

Do you define the value of a game on how much it’s worth?

These are a selection of awesome games that are great unique experiences!

Would PS plus be good value if you got boring games like The Order because they cost more to buy?

@Juneau_888
See 1.4 if you want to know how I determine value. Ratings and price. The only great game quality wise has already been in the IGC and yes, every game is dirty cheap this month.

Ratings and prices are the best objective measurements given for games. If your personal opinion varies, that’s nice for you. But you know, that’d be just your personal opinion. I don’t agree that a ton of indie puzzle games under 80% should be something that I consider “awesome games that are great unique experiences”.

I know by experience that I mostly consider such games dull and boring instead. In the best case I’ll be mildly entertained for a very short time, as it was the case for “The Unfinished Swan” for example.

X_Blood_Curse_X 29 April, 2015 @ 16:48

Murasaki Baby is a nice choice, at least

European_Gamer 29 April, 2015 @ 16:49

I’m getting the first party games.

GREAT! I was thinking to buy Murasaki baby, Unfinished Swan, Hohokun! That’s 4 great games for my VITA

Think this is a big middle finger from sony to all the loyal playstation ps plus subbers.
Had bad months before and said Oh it cant get any worse at least….it just did muhahahaha

21.1

It’s not a middle finger for me though. There’s four games on there I’ve been wanting to pick up. Not complaining one bit.

21.2

PS+ = £5/month or £35/year… I don’t think it’s a middle finger to the subscribers… more like people being unappreciative brats. They don’t have to offer us ‘free’ games, but they do, quite a few every month.

The games we get every month go beyond what we pay a year if you bought them without the sub

21.3

Funny don’t remember an online sub being part of the ps3 and vita price, the service is for games on both those machines, so yes they do owe a reasonably quality of free games, glad you enjoy them but its most apparent the majority do not

All I’ll say is thank god for The Witcher Wild Hunt releasing on May 19th

Hybridizati0nn 30 April, 2015 @ 08:54
22.1

Witcher 3 vs. these, you’ll guess which one I’m gonna play and which ones I won’t. Heck, I’d clean my house rather than play these. And I’m not into cleaning :P

22.2

I agree completely. Non of these will interest me, like the majority of Plus releases, apart from a few… Transistor, Rouge Legacy but my point is where are the AAA.. injustice doesn’t fill that gap.

Freaking awful, just awful sony go back and start again

23.1

Worse month so far I think

X_Blood_Curse_X 29 April, 2015 @ 17:00
23.2

“Worst month so far I think”

I don’t know man, we’ve had things like Woah Dave, Sportsfriends & Aaru’s Awakening…

23.3

Sportsfriends should NEVER have been added, awful glitchy game – not to mention giving my PS3 a vram error – this is a known error and shouldn’t have made it past QA!

poor selection
and honestly xbox live offer huge games (aaa) while this indie crap getting out every month
if the plus isn’t necessary to play online i would never get it -_-

24.1

PMSL. Games with Gold is getting F1 2013 this month. Get an Xbox One if you want to play that current up to date game

24.2

Huge AAA games? Haha, even Ryse hasn’t been on it yet let alone any other game that was released in last two years except Bioshock Infinite almost a year after it was on Plus.

> Got something to say? Log in and add your comment.

But I really don’t know what to say looking at the selection we got. I’m speechless.

My PS Vita is still on OFW 3.36.

Lets try again next month Sony…

RossGeller1942 29 April, 2015 @ 16:55

“What should we give those saps for PS+ in May?”

“I dunno, go have a look in the bargain bin and throw those onto the store!”

27.1

Too right dude. I think they have scrapped through to the floor beneath the barrel tbh !

StevenJamesHyde 29 April, 2015 @ 16:56

Ether One looks really interesting, and Murasaki Baby/Unfinished Swan were very much on my “think about buying, but never get around to it” list. But Guacamelee again? That’s a bit of a mickey-take, to be honest

I was eventually going to buy 3/6 of these anyway (Ether One, Unfinished Swan, and Race The Sun) so I’d be lying if I said it was a total write off of a month.

That said, I’m still so engorged in Bloodborne, I doubt I’ll have time to play any of these until June’s PS+ reveal.

Artemisthemp 29 April, 2015 @ 16:57

Are you freaking kidding me?

Not only does I get Ether One but, also Unfinished Swarn for PS4

I’m definitely going to try out Murasaki Baby, looks like a really unique game!

Very weak month. Every single game is an Indie…at least give one of the systems a full priced game.

Another month im going to skip. GJ sony keep it up :D

Not a bad lineup but the lack of AAA titles (at least one) makes it a bad month

I’m a ps plus since march 2014 and I never complained about it but to be honost I think this is the worst month since I’m a member, maybe the wirst month ever (I’ve seen them all.)
There are only 2 games I like and 1 of them I already bought on release (guacamelee. )

Anyone want to buy a PS4? Only four months old. I didn’t specifically buy it for the PS+ games but the race to the bottom isn’t helping. I seem to be spending all of my money on Steam because different stuff is discounted daily and even at full price their games are cheaper than those on the PS4, so really, what’s the point?

36.1

Why did you buy a PS4 in the first place?

This service once was shockingly good.
Lets hope MS starts kicking up the competion because I don’t need Plus for this medeocer collection of fluff.

RyanSufc1997 29 April, 2015 @ 17:04

Actually loving this update, I want to buy almost every one of these

seriously sony??
Do you even read the monthly guess thread to try and understand what people want…
this is everything that we dont want.

RedMustang72 29 April, 2015 @ 17:05

I really need to stop buying indies, own 4 of the 6, and I’ve owned most of the (save day one) offerings for months now. Grrrrr

I understand the AAA gripes, wouldn’t mind seeing the IGC get some AAA attention myself, but try not to knee-jerk the offerings, they are in fact good games, don’t know about Ether One, looks decent though, but the rest give a good, fun experience, and while some are ‘old’, getting 5 games on the PS4, 4 on the Vita and 3 on the PS3 somewhat compensates…if you like indies and don’t already own them that is!! Grrrrr

However if you’re not an indie fan…ouch, and this is why they need to start mixing it up a little, it’s great getting the cross-buys, and I think the team has done well to make good use out of them for the Plus, but a little effort on the AAA front would be appreciated I would think! :)

Its what i did also, just stop supporting indie developers by buying the indies i like. They end up in Plus anyways. Reason im skipping Broken Age also, which i normally wouldve bought.

RedMustang72 29 April, 2015 @ 19:42
40.2

I’d buy Broken Age if you really want it, can’t see it being on Plus any time soon, probably Grim Fandango would appear first (own that too) if at all. It’s a shame to not support the indie devs, there’s a lot of efforts deserving of support, but it is frustrating knowing that so many will appear on the IGC.

I don’t rely on Plus for my games, and I can appreciate the quality and worth that it will offer others when I do own the content, but lately (since before Xmas) I’ve owned so many of the indie titles that I can’t help but query my purchases now and roll my eyes when I see them, although I’m still usually swayed by a sale. Lol

It is a bit frustrating…

40.3

Exactly. Even for the indie lovers these indie favored PLUS selections can’t always be considered positive because you’ll own a lot of the stuff on offer.. I’m not an indie lover but when even they are starting to ask for a change of selection I think it’s pretty clear..

Show more replies

ahahahahahahaaa the best lineup i ever see all great games congrat……… anda thanks for the garbage hahaahahahahaahahaha

WHAT!?!
I was expecting:
Rayman Legends – PS4/PS3
Knack – PS4
Shovel Knight – PS4/PS3/PS Vita
Need for Speed Rivals – PS3
Fruit Ninja – PS Vita
Asphalt Injection – PS Vita

Some website claimed the german blog leaked this list early.. now i’m even more disappointed than i normally would have been.

fps_d0minat0r 29 April, 2015 @ 17:14
42.1

You know a PS+ rumour is fake when it isnt full of indies.

42.2

Fred quashed that rumour earlier in the week. I’d have preferred the fake list, though!

42.3

I think european and american ps+ get different games.

Show more replies

the worst psplus lineup I can remember

counterUAVbaby 29 April, 2015 @ 17:08

Okay, so Xbox is getting for Xbox One Castlestorm, and Xbox 360 Mafia II and F1 2013! Now I know what to prefer! Definately not indie stuff!

44.1

go troll elsewhere. you have heralded enough in the past how great xbox gold was and that you were going to quit ps+, yet you are still here. on the content of your message: we already got mafia 2 on ps+ and no one awaits f1 2013…

44.2

You are a bloody idiot because Mafia II was part of PS+ months ago. Which means you are a true ignorant

counterUAVbaby 30 April, 2015 @ 13:38
44.3

@chrisse989 Well, it is not me who is trolling here, it’s Sony who do it in front of your eyes. I know you got Mafia II for free on Plus, but we get it free ever, while you have it while your sub runs out. And no one awaits F1 2013, really? Do you prefer all these indies, instead? No,no I can’t believe you.

@mosessaur Keep trying…

Any chance of the Euro store getting a golden week sale like the one in the US?

Jeff-Andrew-NL 29 April, 2015 @ 19:32
45.1

Of course not. We’re in the EU xD
A lot of those games were never translated for Germany and such.
So we wont be getting them either… Gotta love the EU!

I’m not gonna lie I’m really disappointed with this. Seriously! I like Indies, I try most of them but Sony are really taking the mickey lately. Surely they can give us SOMETHING better.

mistachicken 29 April, 2015 @ 17:35
46.1

Agreed.

46.2

Define better? Because Guacamelee is one of the absolute best games I’ve played in years.

Chris Howe
You guys should SERIOUSLY consider letting people know some of these are “CROSS-BUY”

It does not state that anywhere on the trailer, if this is mentioned then people will be more happy with these knowing they can play those Vita titles on their PS4 aswell, alot of people don’t know this…

So yeah in future trailers and articles state CROSS-BUY clearly at the start.

47.1

Are you blind? This has been present since the post went up:

“Entering PS Plus:

6th May: Ether One (PS4)
6th May: Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
6th May: The Unfinished Swan (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
6th May: Race the Sun (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
6th May: Murasaki Baby (PS Vita)
6th May: Hohokum (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)”

47.2

welcome to the internet era. where people don’t read anymore, but watch videos instead.

SwissColony 01 May, 2015 @ 08:27
47.3

HAHAHA rtfm before making asinine comments!!!!!

amazing great line up the best! and the prize go to may 2015 the best garbage games in all plus life

inanothercastle2 30 April, 2015 @ 12:31
48.1

i agree, the pityfull month despite 2 years, i will not ben ps+ member in september and that will be fine

Can’t say I’m too happy with this month’s PS+. The highlights are Ether One, which I really want to play, and The Unfinished Swan (which I already own).

I don’t want to say the other games are *bad*, but I do expect a bit more quality from PS+. And Guacamelee!, no matter how good it is (personally, I didn’t think much of it), was already on PS+ (for Vita and PS3) a while ago, so putting it on the service again, only for PS4 this time, is a bit of an insult.

49.1

I didn’t like Guacamelee! either, and I did give a decent go.

Ether One – Could be fun, I don’t know anything about it except it should be an exploration game.
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition – [DELETED] We already have got Guacamelee! before!. Something new please! I don’t care if this is the PS4 edition, we don’t need the same game again, you are cheapen out on this.
The Unfinished Swan – Fun little game. It is relative short though. Anyway it’s good enough.
RACE THE SUN – Well to be honest, haven’t played it. However the concept is something that fits for handhelds and browser games. Not this. Just my opinion.
Murasaki Baby – Can’t say anything about this. I don’t have a Vita, however will get one sometime soon.
Hohokum – Dunno about this, just look like other 2D games in my opinion.

Show full comment

Hohokum – Dunno about this, just look like other 2D games in my opinion.

Could definitely have been better, at least for my taste. Also I dislike the idea of sending a title to us that we already have on another platform if we have been subscribers for longer time. Like really, it feels like you are treating us as fools. I just don’t get that without the customers you would not exist.

Step up the game, I thought you would have shown Microsoft how to do this after they stepped it up a little bit.

50.1

Well put! I agree with you.
I know playstation users and xbox users shouldn’t start a war against each other, but we need to show those xbox fans that they made a poor choice choosing that console instead of playstation. Playstation is superior and we need to show it! So as consumers we should happily give Sony our money, but in return we want better games for plus, we want better sales and we want better back-up for standing on Sony’s side! We need to show that Playstation is THE only choice!

Yungstar_2007 05 May, 2015 @ 12:18
50.2

Hohokum is a game I’d say is nothing like other 2D games at all. It’s quite original.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history