Prison breakout sim The Escapists tunnels onto PS4 on 29th May

With an Alcatraz expansion due out the same day

Hello again PlayStation Blog readers! Along with independent developer Mouldy Toof, we’re thrilled to let you know that The Escapists will be heading to PS4 on 29th May!

The award-winning sandbox prison-escape game features six uniquely themed prisons to escape from. Escaping won’t be easy though. You’ll have to work around the strict prison schedule and avoid the unwanted attention of guards!

TheEscapists_Alcatraz_GymSanPancho_WallChippedAway

You’ll need some cash to put your plan in to action. Get a prison job or perform favour requests for your fellow inmates to earn those vital funds. You can then use them to barter with traders for tools and crafting supplies. Just make sure you find a good hiding place for your stash and pay attention during roll call to avoid cell shakedown, you wouldn’t want to lose that coveted shovel you’ve worked so hard to gather and craft!

Once you’ve tried your hand at all six prisons, you can even try to escape from one of the most famous prisons in the world with the Alcatraz DLC prison! Many have tried to escape, many have failed. Now is your chance to add your name to this list of ‘famous’ escape attempts as you try and escape from one of America’s strongest prisons.

Stalag_Job_Gardener

Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary has been rebuilt in The Escapists. Master the daily routine, plan your strategy and execute your very own Alcatraz escape!

The Escapists will be available to download on PS4 on 29th May for just £14.99/€17.99. The Escapists Alcatraz DLC prison will be available for just £1.99/€2.49.

Thanks as ever for reading! We can’t wait for the 29th and hearing your glorious tales of escape!

TheEscapists_Alcatraz_Job_JanitorCenterPerks_Fun_CaughtChipping
54 Comments
8 Author replies

Day 1 DLC for an already expensive game? How nice of you!

Michael Shillingford 30 April, 2015 @ 16:42
1.1

Hey! I hear you. The DLC is already out on other platforms, so we didn’t want to keep fans from playing it on PS4!

VictorAnalogy 30 April, 2015 @ 17:30
1.2

Since when is £15 an expensive game?

1.3

@Micael Shillingford
Because the idea to actually include the DLC already in game is a insane and atrocious right?

As you said, it’s already out… you could just include that in game…

Show more replies
HomessaHomem 30 April, 2015 @ 16:24

Bring this to my Vita, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Michael Shillingford 30 April, 2015 @ 16:43
2.1

Ach, HomessaHomem, we don’t have any plans to bring The Escapists to PS Vita I’m afraid.

cant really blame you as no one wants to actually buy vita ports they just expect them free via crossbuy and as great as it is i imagine its not always worth while for the dev with all the extra cost attached

2.3

@hayznik
Because those comes like few months later than those on home consoles? If those would come day-1 with other version I can assure you that people would be buying it for Vita version and not for cross-platform option.

@Michael
Anyway, I have no intention on buying this game for home console.
I have much better stuff to do play on home consoles. Sorry, reality knocking to door.

Show more replies
supersmith2500 30 April, 2015 @ 16:45

Retail release like Xbox One? Has to be right? :D

Michael Shillingford 30 April, 2015 @ 17:07
3.1

For Europe and Australia there will be a boxed retail version, yes. It looks seriously hot too!

hello musterbuster :)

i have been looking forward to this one for a while :)

any plans for a plus launch discount?

also get onto the guys at team 17 and get my worms blast remaster done :P

Michael Shillingford 30 April, 2015 @ 17:05
4.1

My gosh it’s been a while since anyone called me MusterBuster! Hi Hayzink :D

We’re looking into a launch discount for PS Plus owners but we haven’t agreed it with PlayStation yet, so watch this space.

Worms Blast is awesome! We always have plans for Worms, so stay tuned to @WormsTeam17 on Twitter ;)

always do they sent me a nice boggy b at christmas for drawing a picture :)

4.3

Is there anywhere I can get the Boggy B song? I bought Worms on GOG for the soundtrack as I’ve lost my original disk but no Boggy B song :(

Show more replies

Can’t wait

good game played a tons on Steam and its a nice welcome to the PS4 ( but going to wait for a sale ;\ ) cos its getting annoying having to pay more for indie games on PS4 than on PC…

( dint sony say that coding for for the ps4 its the same or very similar to pc? so why we got to pay more? )

STEAM
Escapists £12.99 > DLC Alcatraz £1.59

PS4
Escapists £14.99 > DLC Alcatraz £1.99

this is not a direct criticism to Mouldy Toof Studios or Team17 ( one of my fav publ back in the amiga days ) but to SONY… (or who ever sets this prices)

It’s not SONY, it’s the publisher :P So yeah, your criticising Team17 :P

6.2

coding for for the ps4 its the same or very similar to pc? thats like comparing a bmx to a Suzuki Hayabusa, sure they both have wheels and a way to implement propulsion etc but rely on different principles to produce the end result.

while the ps4 has architecture more like a pc it relies on a completly different operating system that would require a complete overhaul of some of the code to produce the same result. this takes time and money to do and unfortunatly for us adds to the cost

6.3

@ziomano

Actually it has been clear for quite some time now that SCEE sets the Euro prices. That’s why so many Indies recently have either not known their prices when asked or the prices given didn’t actually match the prices charged, because SCEE can and will increase a price where they feel they can get away with it.

Show more replies
dunderhoken82 30 April, 2015 @ 19:11

29th May for “””just””” £14.99/€17.99. The Escapists Alcatraz DLC prison will be available for “””just””” £1.99/€2.49

Hell no, I will go and buy some beer for myself instead…

DivideByZero 30 April, 2015 @ 21:26
7.1

Enjoy your beer :)

But me? Come the 29th I’ll be enjoying The Escapists while drinking some chilled Brooklyn Lagers. Live a little :D

The guy had to spend time and effort creating something unique with some great replay value. We’re all different with different tastes and the idea of spending a similar amount for just a few maps in a FPS strikes me as odd – so I see where you’re coming from but lets not add to the negativity on these forums and Be Excellent To Each Other.

Are you absolutely sure its £15? I shouldn’t need to ask really but you yourself came in here a little over two weeks ago and said LA Cops was £11, then it hit the store less than 48 hours later at £11.49.

Was this a last minute price change enacted against your wishes by SCEE? Or did you get the price wrong and willfully ignore the people who asked you about the price in that promo post?

Yes !!! Please give us more games that look like 20 years old NES games. That’s why I have PS4 – to play these retro indie games. Enough with these “games”.

Corbotron_5 01 May, 2015 @ 11:35
9.1

Get over yourself. Pixel graphics are a valid and much loved artistic style. Just because they’ve been around a long time doesn’t mean they’re redundant. Also, you’d have a heart attack if you actually saw what a NES game looked like. This game looks beautiful.

Also, I take a bit of an exception to your choice to put the word game in inverted commas. The Escapists is exactly the kind of thing we should want on our consoles; a genuinely original concept that offers a fun alternative to the formulaic, focus group led releases that people label as AAA. Call of Duty 16 is fun and all, but variety is the spice of life.

Michael Shillingford 01 May, 2015 @ 16:02
9.2

Sorry that you’re not a fan Lijon! The Escapists as a huge, huge following (~500K copies sold so far) but I totally get that not all games are to everyone’s tastes. And that’s fine! It results in a really diverse range of games :)

MT17

wardragon989 30 April, 2015 @ 21:04

Glad to see this make its arrival on PS4 :) Enjoyed seeing youtubers (like Markiplier) play this

I gotta ask though will this have a platinum?

10.1

For 15 pounds (which will no doubt equate to $23 in Australia) it better have a platinum. Shovel Knight did and it was that price (and great)

DivideByZero 30 April, 2015 @ 21:36

I am personally really amped to get this on the release day :)

As I said in a previous reply – between Axiom Verge and now The Escapists I’m really enjoying some unique and varied experiences on my PS4. I adore the retro-style of the graphics but even more so the pure gameplay. I’m not always keen on a 40+ hour epic with a ton of “collectables” and side-tasks open world being every single game I play so this variety is why I love gaming on PS4.

And to everybody complaining – If these types of games aren’t for you why not just click to the next article instead of moaning about price or graphics? We’re all different with different tastes. Can’t we just take a page out of Bill & Ted’s book and Be Excellent To Each Other instead?

is the retail version £15 too?

12.1

it will be more than the digital (like worms is)

@Michael Shillingford what’s the arrow on the game? is some kind of handholding ?

i hate being handholded , i’m not a Idiot that don’t know how to play

Michael Shillingford 01 May, 2015 @ 16:04
13.2

Hey twinspectre!

The arrow points to where you should be in line with the schedule for the prison that you’re in. If you’re busy escaping, it’s likely that you’ll be ignoring it. BUT if you’re trying to impress the guards, you’ll want to pay attention…

Is this game inspired from Prison Break ? Because it looks cool and nice, I love Prison break and always wanted a game like that.

The price is a bit expensive but I might buy it, there’s is nothing good in may (only The Witcher 3 and Life is Strange ep 3).

There is already a prison break game on ps3.

Wait, wait, wait, why the price is higher compared to Steam ? For the DLC too ? What the hell seriously ? This is Slender The Arrival all over again (price higher in Europe compared to the USA).

I don’t know who’s in charge here for the price if it’s Sony or the studio and I don’t care, but this is wrong.

I will probably wait for a big discount. If you guys are thinking that PS4 players are some cash cows you re wrong.

15.1

digital titles often enter sales early so hold off if your happy to wait.

however if the dev can secure some kind of plus discount (or even dlc free to plus members who purchase game week one) then get it at launch

Michael Shillingford 01 May, 2015 @ 16:08
15.2

Hey Seishoujyo!

OK – pricing is the same as other console platforms. The reason for the difference between PC and console is simple – extra work (and therefore cost) was required to bring The Escapists to console. Improvements were made to optimise the game for big screens. You’ll notice the graphics upgrade, UI improvements and control input improvements especially.

We’re looking into launch discounts for PlayStation Plus members. Can’t confirm right now, but stay tuned :)

MT17

15.3

So basically you re saying that Rockstar should be charging more for GTA V on PC because of the extra work for this version right ? So they should sell the game for 70 Euro on PC.

Yay :D played the game alot on pc and the game is released on my birthday!
Gonna have to get some PS wallet things :p

Berserk-Deaf 02 May, 2015 @ 13:20

i’m down to play this Escapists.. it will be so good at escaping and having a fun trying to fool guards for PS4. good potential title to profit :)

LieutenantFatman 02 May, 2015 @ 20:28

Looks good! I’ll get it if/when it comes to the Vita.

ASSASSIN1901 03 May, 2015 @ 07:26

I got a question the game is soo much fun on pc and I like the editor as well will there be plans for that on the ps4 ??

oooweee_baby89 03 May, 2015 @ 08:02

Umm @Michelshillingford Will The Game Come Out At GAME.co.uk

oooweee_baby89 03 May, 2015 @ 08:03

Will There Be A Altracz Version On PS4

oooweee_baby89 03 May, 2015 @ 14:35

ALSO DO ESCAPIST ON PS3

I’m glad this is coming to PS4, another reason I won’t feel bad about selling my X1. The game plays very nice, except a bit difficult without seeking help, but that’s half the fun :) I’ll be grabbing this at the first solid discount, as I’d rather not pay twice :) Thanks!

oooweee_baby89 16 May, 2015 @ 09:59

I Love This GAME Its Epic

Coromal1610 19 May, 2015 @ 13:17

Will The Escapists be coming to ps3? I really like the looks of this game and i have watched a video of it and i would really like to get it. Unfortunatley we only have a family laptop so i can’t get games on it and we only have a ps3 not a ps4. If it comes out for ps3 that would be great! Thanks!

oooweee_baby89 24 May, 2015 @ 16:16

CANT WAIT LOL

please answer me this question comes the game on 29th May in the store ?????

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history