Watch the new trailer for PS4-exclusive What Remains of Edith Finch

Take a closer look at the new game from the team behind The Unfinished Swan

We announced our new game, What Remains of Edith Finch, at Sony’s PSX event last December but haven’t said much about it since. It’s come a long way in the last six months and we’re finally at a point where we’re ready to start talking about (and showing!) more of it.

At E3 this year we’ll be demoing the beginning of the game and our first story. Today we’re releasing our first screenshots along with a new trailer.

HighresScreenshot00022_1432284186

It’s hard to sum up the game in a screenshot because the game is a collection of short stories. Each of those stories is about the death of a different Finch family member and each is meant to look and feel different from the others, the way no two people in any family are alike.

Which is why, to start with, we’re focusing a lot on the Finch family house where the game begins. As Edith, players will be exploring this house and eventually unlocking bedrooms for all the various family members. Inside each bedroom is something that tells a story about that person’s life (like a diary, or a collection of photos, etc).

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

The Finch family house, by the way, is crazy. The family has been living here for the last 100 years and each generation adds on to it. By the time Edith arrives the house is an enormous artefact influenced by a range of eccentric, stubborn folks. Hopefully it’s also a place that comes across as believable and familiar. Our goal has been to make the house feel fantastical but at the same time like it was all made out of stuff you could buy at Home Depot.

And that’s the game in a nutshell: a surreal experience that’s grounded in a familiar world. The deaths in each of the stories are a little bizarre but the really strange thing is death itself.

The house is both a monument to the people who have died and a record of how the family reacted to those deaths. Where the short stories focus on individuals, the house is the story of the family as a whole, told through architecture.

Hope you enjoy your first look inside the house!

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004
#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

HighresScreenshot00037_1432284305

19 Comments
0 Author replies
PS_TrophyHunter 25 May, 2015 @ 15:51

Price and release date?

NorthernFusion 25 May, 2015 @ 16:20
1.1

2016, from a previous blog post.

European_Gamer 25 May, 2015 @ 19:48
1.2

…and in the trailer.

I’ve been looking forward to this game since it was revealed, it looks and sounds like it’s going to be interesting.

The screenshots look great, but I think my favourite is the one of the living room (?) with the three very different chairs all stood together. It says a lot with very little.

As a haunted house/mystery/adventure game it looks pretty good… especially given that Silent Hill/ P.T. has been CANCELED … *nudge*, *nudge*, *wink*, *wink*.. say no more, say no more …. konami !

Like!

ferenzzz1971 25 May, 2015 @ 19:45

What’s with the game Inside by Playdead Studio??

Should be out by now…

It wa presented last year (at E3 I think ) as a “First on Xbox”. In other words; PlayStation won’t see it anytime soon, I’m afraid.

Along with Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture and The Witness, this is most definitely one of my most anticipated PS4 titles.

At my age, you really don’t want time to fly by too quickly, but as far as What Remains of Edith Finch is concerned, roll on 2016 I say!

European_Gamer 25 May, 2015 @ 19:49

I like games with a strong focus on storytelling.

Wasn’t a fan of Unfinished Swan, but i could be a fan of this instead! Roll on 2016!

I suppose it’d be too much to ask that you allow a third person view too? Y’know, so us motion sickness gamers can enjoy your game too? Or are you another game developer who ignores a potential fan base?

9.1

Blimey d-gal – you’re a blast from the past!!

I totally agree. I don’t mind missing out on the whole FPS genre because of my motion/sickness, but this is one game I’ve been looking forward to – yet I doubt I’ll be able to play it for any longer than 5 minutes without chucking my guts up. :/

Lol. I comment on the blog sometimes. I thought you were on my friends list on psn. If not add me if you like.

9.3

Lol I hope I’m still on your friends list and you haven’t ditched me!! XD

transpondster 26 May, 2015 @ 04:51

Wow! Such cool! Much atmospheric! Very awesome! :)

If the gameplay is anything like the trailer then this to me looks very much like a future Morpheus compatible game…

counterUAVbaby 27 May, 2015 @ 11:29

That’s the games that Sony can get as exclusives [laugh]

this-is-phil 27 May, 2015 @ 13:11

Don’t you think you should finish The Swan before you start a new game?

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history