Massive online shooter PlanetSide 2 gets PS4 release date

The much anticipated free-to-play sequel lands on 23rd June

Hey everyone. After months of intense beta testing, I’m excited to announce that PlanetSide 2 will be launching on PlayStation 4 on 23rd June 2015 in Europe and North America!

For those of you unfamiliar with the game, you’re in for a wild ride! PlanetSide 2 is a revolutionary massive scale first-person shooter where soldiers battle as one in strategic, targeted missions against enemy Empires in an all-out planetary war.

Massive communities with unwavering camaraderie band together in PlanetSide 2 as the game challenges the skill and grit of the most seasoned soldier through intense infantry, air and ground vehicle gameplay. Victory requires strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger to survive the enormous battles.

To give you an idea of just how massive our battles really are in PlanetSide 2, we recently set a Guinness World Record for the most players online in a single FPS battle, with 1,158 players in a single fight! The game is synonymous with large-scale warfare and it’s truly an experience you have to see to believe. Plus, as a free-to-play game, all players can jump into the game’s massive battles for free – no PlayStation Plus membership required.

We’ve put a lot of effort into streamlining and improving the feature set so that PlayStation 4 players will have the ultimate massive-scale, FPS gaming experience. We’ve also incorporated some unique features that are currently exclusive to the PS4 version, which for example, include the new battle map, Koltyr. We will continue to further improve and enhance the gameplay experience after launch as well. In the weeks and months following the release on 23/6, players can look forward to frequent game updates, which will include deeper features, holiday events and content, new in-game marketplace items and much, much more.

On behalf of the PlanetSide 2 development team, we’d like to thank the tens of thousands of players that have taken part in the closed beta testing. Because of you, we’ve been able to make a ton of refinements to the game that otherwise wouldn’t have been possible without your valuable feedback.

We’re excited to finally bring the game to the PlayStation 4 so the console gaming community can experience what truly massive warfare is all about!

We’ll see you on Auraxis!

Did you enjoy this?

34 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
ScrewThePooch 3 June, 2015 @ 5:04 pm   1

cycledance 3 June, 2015 @ 5:25 pm   2

why bother making a 30fps fps in 2015 on hardware as powerful as ps4?

European_Gamer 3 June, 2015 @ 5:35 pm

I think a lot of PlayStation 4 players will enjoy the massive 1200 players battles once they accept that F2P games can be good.

salvellinus42 3 June, 2015 @ 8:53 pm

You are highly overestimating PS4’s power. Honestly, it’s quite weak.

MaxDiehard 4 June, 2015 @ 12:06 pm

It’s not that it’s weak, because it’s not.

It’s that unlike PS2 > PS3, there haven’t been any major graphical leaps as of late. It’s becoming the VR era for games now, so that will be the focus once it kicks off, and it will move forward from there.

didsburydan 3 June, 2015 @ 5:31 pm   3

played the beta about twice.. couldn’t work out for my life what the hell i was supposed to do or how to find a fight… just stuck in the first bit. saw ships and stuff and thought i probably had to get on one, but lost interest and gave up caring.

MaxDiehard 3 June, 2015 @ 6:01 pm

Yea, the lack of tutorials and guidance threw me off. Haven’t played the Beta in a while because of it.

dark_angel69 3 June, 2015 @ 6:07 pm

Only played the beta once (tried few times and couldn’t get a game). Just ran around for ages and couldn’t find anyone. Didn’t know what I was doing. Eventually I met an enemy. Was shooting at him while he stood still then he swings a knife and killed me. So quit after that

MaNTsiK 3 June, 2015 @ 9:08 pm

I agree with you my friend… Developers need to add some tutorials

monoliet 4 June, 2015 @ 12:17 pm

haha i choot max in once bulets in one persone closed range
    same persone 1 hit in cheast from afare to me = dead .
    if a game do suport 1 hit kils in body from fare away = forget ith .( sniper in head = somting diferent )

Classic_Shooter 19 June, 2015 @ 10:15 pm

Spot on to how I felt, couldn’t wait to play this game. And I was like whats going on. Why cant I move on this atv, where’s the enemies at.

Ivadell 3 June, 2015 @ 5:31 pm   4

Sweet indeed. And the fact that no Plus membership is required is just the icing on this massive space shooter cake.

MonsterGamerPro7 3 June, 2015 @ 7:20 pm

Were you read tha?

European_Gamer 3 June, 2015 @ 8:59 pm

@Monster Free-To-Play games (like PlanetSide 2 and Warframe) and subscription based games (like Final Fantasy 14) do not require PS+.

I3loodthirsty 3 June, 2015 @ 5:35 pm   5

My two gripes i had from the beta were the mini map was so zoomed out it was useless for seeing anything near you & i found it hard to tell who was friend or foe,id be sniping and couldn’t tell who was my faction or the enemy.

andrewsqual 3 June, 2015 @ 5:49 pm   6

I never got into the Beta for this 🙁 Great to see it out in only 3 weeks time though 🙂
I take it the no mention of Fallout 4 means a big Xbone focus for the game. Timed DLC (that you will have to pay for anyway) and parity across platforms confirmed then.

MaxDiehard 3 June, 2015 @ 6:04 pm

I doubt it. There will be an article soon.

The blog is always behind on big reveals like this.

TrueMurton 4 June, 2015 @ 7:06 am

It is very likely that there will be DLC exclusivity, there has been with every console release of Bethesdas RPGs so far.

We also know that the same broken engine is being used. I look forward to seeing how well the new consoles deal with Bethesdas brand of huge memory leaks and “bit difference” saved game system where literally the whole world is added to your save file as you explore it.

MaxDiehard 4 June, 2015 @ 12:12 pm

There is no official announcement on what engine is being used.

Harrisown 3 June, 2015 @ 6:23 pm   7

Batman is out on the 23rd

Nesther 3 June, 2015 @ 7:20 pm   8

Trophy support?

Zubairu 3 June, 2015 @ 7:23 pm   9

I played the beta alot i really liked it alot! At start i had to get used to everything that you could do and how to do it but once you really get in a battle its really fun! Especially once three factions are fighting for the same base as the same time.

MonsterGamerPro7 3 June, 2015 @ 7:26 pm   10

Ok good, but Batman Arkham Knight is out in 23 too, and I waited so much for PS2 but I’m going to be so hyped with Batman. Ups!

XSpike 3 June, 2015 @ 8:43 pm   11

Cool the Beta sucked was nobody on the EU Beta, least US beta had players..

MaNTsiK 3 June, 2015 @ 9:13 pm   12

Finally!!!!! Now we are waiting for H1Z1 and Everquest Next…. You promised these games to ps4 players… Don’t forget it!!!

monoliet 4 June, 2015 @ 12:11 pm

i stil hope everquest to ps4 buth them sel online division of mmo factory of sony to other company .
    i ask miself if them stil wil come ?

vV_PaRaSiTe_Vv 3 June, 2015 @ 10:43 pm   13

What a shame….. I was really looking forward to this but you just had to try fight against Batman: Arkham Knight. Well, I’m sorry, but the Caped Crusader wins :/

I’ll probably play it later on though. Any news about it having trophy support? It will play a big part on how long I plan the game so I can sort out my gaming backlog….

itzondacouch 3 June, 2015 @ 11:11 pm   14

monoliet 4 June, 2015 @ 12:04 pm   15

i play beta
i try 3 matches = totaly not mi ting
1=the lack of tutorials
2= i tink system of the game i do not trust , 9/10 peopel who put mony in wil be better
also you gone lounch on same month other mmo comes = lol ( so many moth to release but you need to release on same month as elderscrolls online )

fallout i hope ms do not get excl ore time excl. if sony give dlc first to ms i am not gone be happy

jesterday a buy mi self a 3ds whith monsterhunter 4 ultimate , sony portabel = never again ( you kan sink so low untile you fal to the bothem to me vita = dead )

monoliet 4 June, 2015 @ 12:28 pm   16

fallout 4 on ps4 x one = new engine
fallout 4 on ps3 xbox 360 = old engine ( wil comme out later )
date = 9/10 end 2015 ( holly maria where i gone find time to play , i gone ask some extra holiday )

Juni 2015 – Fallout 4 trailer
Juli 2015 – first gameplay trailer ( no gameplay on e3 )
Augustus 2015 – more info
Oktober 2015 – PS4/Xbox One/PC release
November 2015 – 1 DLC
December 2015 – 2DLC en een PS3/360 release
Januari 2016 -3 DLC
Maart 2016 – 4DLC
April 2016 – 5 (final) DLC

Juni 2016 – Fallout spinoff anouncing , created by Behaviour Interactive.
Oktober 2016 – Fallout spinoff release on PS4, Xbox One en PC

NomaDz777 4 June, 2015 @ 2:46 pm   17

@ Andy Sites I hope the Voice Coms will be fixed, cause we really need them in such a massive game like PS2.
I wish you guys all the best on this project.
For all those not sure, ask yourselves if you like FPS games and then add if you like the idea of EPIC Battles? If so give PS2 a try, IT’S FREE so you have nothing to lose 🙂
NB For those saying it crashes alot , DISABLE VCHAT (Voice Chat) in options and your game will crash ALOT less. This is why I hope they FIX VCHAT ASAP, Squads are composed of 12 players, PSN Party Chat is ONLY 8. There can be 4 Squads in a Platoon = 48 Players. We SERIOUSLY need the Coms working to help move great numbers of players together.

NomaDz777 5 June, 2015 @ 9:21 am   18