Cult interactive adventure Steins;Gate launches on PS3 & PS Vita today

Find out more about the long-awaited visual novel

Many people ask me about where the concept of Steins;Gate came from. It’s based around the idea, ‘What if you could send a message into the past?’. I think it’s an exciting idea because it means, in a way, everyone can become a time machine. You, yourself are a time machine. And what effect would that have on you, your friends and the immediate world around you?

I think time travel has always been an attractive theme in science. It makes creating a narrative very challenging, but for Steins;Gate it also allowed us to think of interesting scenarios that hadn’t been explored before, and brought some intelligent conflicts to the relationships between the many characters.

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

This is especially true of the main character Rintaro Okabe. He has some real inner struggles to deal with, some very tough choices to make through you, the player – and through that, Okabe shows himself to be a character of extraordinary human depth.

Steins;Gate is a very emotional journey for the player. In fact, when we originally recorded Steins;Gate, the voice cast were so good, that when we came to record the final scenes, the emotion was so powerful we found the recording staff in tears!

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

I also like the idea of cause and effect that time travel brings – that doing something ‘small’ can have a big impact on something, or something ‘big’ can perhaps make no impact at all. We wanted players to feel the weight, the gravitas of an ‘either-or’ situation. You the player, have to have a cool-headedness as you work your way through decisions with irreversible consequences and then also to deal with the sacrifices of those decisions. However, we don’t want to punish the player, we wanted also to allow players the catharsis of experiencing an alternative ending, and the feeling of discovery for choosing a different path.

This is only possible through the medium of a visual novel. The story has also become present in animation, comics and novels. The interesting thing with these is they don’t just take the original story but they also expand on the story and it’s multiple endings – but they are also linear, a Visual Novel allows you to explore all possible paths.

When we released the original Steins;Gate, I thought no way would this ever be released in Europe. I am so happy that Steins;Gate is now beginning to be better known overseas, and we are really looking forward to hearing your reaction and impressions!

daru_01

50 Comments
0 Author replies
RedSquirrel87 05 June, 2015 @ 11:06

Here in Italy neither Amazon nor Gamestop are selling it, what happened?

DarkBahamut87 05 June, 2015 @ 11:23
1.1

In Italia il gioco non ha un distributore, quindi ufficialmente da noi non è uscito. E probabilmente non lo farà mai. Se lo vuoi, ti conviene solo prenderlo da qualche altro paese europeo. Io l’ho preso da Amazon UK, ma volendo puoi farlo anche da Amazon ES (dove i prezzi sono molto convenienti).

Got my copy ordered. Looking forward to playing this :)

Gamesgbkiller 05 June, 2015 @ 11:07

That was… fast.

Tuulenpoika 05 June, 2015 @ 11:08

I’m very happy to finally get to play this game on Vita in English. Never thought it could be possible, yet here we are. Huge thanks for going through the effort to localize the console versions!

Yey!Steins Gate on vita!

infernalmonkey1 05 June, 2015 @ 11:18

Eternal props to the publishers at PQube for giving this a physical release on Vita. Honestly one of the coolest surprises to happen recently. After JAST picked up the PC version I never expected it to get localised for anything else.

I hope this does well for PQube, so we can maybe see some more visual novels localised for the system in the future. <3

The limited edition is incredible!

X_Blood_Curse_X 05 June, 2015 @ 11:24

I bought my copy. Would have liked dual audio but for a physical copy and at under £20 I can let it slide. Gotta support this kinda stuff

Loved the anime. Will be buying this ASAP.

THANK YOU! <3 for bringing this to the west. And physical too! Got my El Psy Kongroo Edition next to me!
Can't explain how happy for this. Hopefully more devs will follow up with not only physical release, but with more VN games in the west!

Great release physical and japanese dub only like all anime games should be released. got it yesterday i’ll be playing it this weekend.

SatoshiOokami 05 June, 2015 @ 16:26
10.1

You’re the man :D
But dub lovers would probably object :D

10.2

@SatoshiOokami

offcourse they object stupid ppl always do. this combination means cheaper and better product

1st physical releases always means cheaper for consumers cause retailer keep lower prices.
2ndly japanese dub cheaper for publisher cause english dub would mean starting from scratch and costing just as much a just localizing the game. and cause japanese dub is alrdy there just a licensing fee.
3rdly faster release, i know this title wasen’t actually released fast but that was more because it’s a VN.

most english dub lovers are most likely casuals with anime anyways. meaning waiting mostly for sales before buying. games like this will sell with ppl who want japanese dub cause they have a more understanding idea off what they are buying cause we actually do the research on upcoming anime title’s.

Show full comment

@SatoshiOokami

i feel the reason lazyness to read or just i don’t understand the language nothing but ignorant towards other language’s at gamespot it shows only english langauge country care for english dub.

Royal Mail being truly worthless like usual for anyone outside UK. So I’ll be waiting until next week :(

SteinsGate! Sweet! Gonna go and buy it as soon as I get home this evening.

I’ve got the Ps3 El Psy Kongroo limtied edition complete with metal Oopa
and the limited edition Vita version =P

I funking love steins;gate

Octerdocterpus 05 June, 2015 @ 12:03

Fell in love with the Anime, so I can’t wait to play the VN! El Psy Kongroo!

smile_taisou 05 June, 2015 @ 12:23

Thanks for bringing this over, already ordered my copy.

cant find the Vita version on the store?

16.1

also the store update on wednesday says it’s priced at £39.99 on vita but £34.99 on PS3? please tell me this is a mistake

DieFliedermouse 05 June, 2015 @ 13:28
16.2

Just get a physical copy from Amazon or another reliable retail outfit. There’s absolutely no reason for you to pay £15 more for a digital version.

16.3

DieFliedermouse is right, especially with the price of Vita memory. I have a 32GB card and it’s almost full so I try to buy physical carts where possible to avoid buying more Vita memory!

Show more replies

My copy should be on the doormat when I get home. Fell in love with visual novels after Virtue’s Last Reward. Can’t wait :)

Great game, if you like 999/VLR/Danganronpa then pick this up, you won’t be disappointed!

Stonesthrow 05 June, 2015 @ 15:12

Loved the anime.

Never heard of this series before but after seeing this blog post and doing a bit of reading about it I’ve just ordered a copy.

I’d never heard of Danganronpa until it was released on Vita, I pre-ordered both games and I was not disappointed so hopefully snatching up another Japanese visual novel will pay off too. Hopefully if we support games like this by buying a copy on release it will incentive them to release other games in the series over here in the future :)

SatoshiOokami 05 June, 2015 @ 16:25
20.1

If you have never heard of this series, prepare for much bigger experience than what you experienced in Dangan ;)
Also, this is a pure VN, Dangan isn’t :)

20.2

Have you played any of the other games then? I had a look at the others but I couldn’t see any that had been translated for the west.

SatoshiOokami 08 June, 2015 @ 08:09
20.3

What other games do you mean?

Show more replies

Does anybody know, if there are any differences between the pc and vita version?

21.1

According to Wikipedia “A port for PlayStation Vita that includes the original game as well Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling”, not sure if the PC version includes this?

According to Wikipedeia “A port for PlayStation Vita that includes the original game as well Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling”, not sure if the PC version includes this?

calc84maniac 05 June, 2015 @ 18:02
22.1

That was a dual pack released in Japan because both ports were released on the same day. This is NOT the case for the English release. We’re only getting the first game, for now.

22.2

Thanks for clarification :) My copy turned up on Saturday, not started it yet though.

SatoshiOokami 05 June, 2015 @ 16:21

Fantastic, unreal.
I can’t even put my feelings into words, I’m eternally grateful for this.
I never thought we could see the release of S;G in west and here it is.
Really, thank you.

I’m just gonna be [DELETED] if this doesn’t get the amount of sales it deserves……..

But knowing the gaming community being mostly made of little kids who only like explosions and shooting things… and the fact that there wasn’t much marketing for this….. and that any stubborn and uptight person who doesn’t like anime would just see the art style and ignore it simply because “its for weeaboos”

…. it probably wont… hell I bet most people wont hear about it ever

Which is a shame because I want more Visual Novel Games to be localized and become more mainstream in the gaming market.

AlucardTepes_DE 05 June, 2015 @ 22:11
24.1

Imagine if this game hadn’t get an Award…

thekillingspree 05 June, 2015 @ 19:08

I loved the anime so much that I was quick to pre-order the limited edition for my Vita a while ago! I know it’s already on my way, but it feels like it’s taking forever to get here…
Thank you for bringing this to the West :)

Is there any chance it will be made available in Russia?

26.2

Oh, great, thanks a bunch!

psyhakiasman2 05 June, 2015 @ 19:57

And Sony Hellas didn’t bring eithe ps3/vita edition in Greece.

European_Gamer 06 June, 2015 @ 12:06
27.1

Import the game from another EU country.

CommonComitatus 06 June, 2015 @ 16:17

Still not seeing the Vita version on the UK PSN. Is there a delay, or is it just me?

Anyone knows when the game will be released in Canada ?

Trying to decide between the PS3 & Vita versions.
Is the PS3 version in 1080p?

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history