Posted

Here’s your first look at Ratchet & Clank on PS4

Check out footage from the new game and the forthcoming movie

Hey everyone. We know Ratchet & Clank, Insomniac Games, and PlayStation fans have been waiting to get a glimpse of Ratchet & Clank for PlayStation 4. We’re excited to bring you that first look today ahead of its playable debut on the showfloor of E3 next week.

In this trailer, you’ll see a few glimpses of footage from the film, and then your first-ever look at gameplay footage directly from the game coming exclusively to PS4. Check it out above.

We knew early on that we didn’t want to just up-res Ratchet & Clank for PS2. We started out thinking of Ratchet & Clank (PS4) as a “re-imagining” of the 2002 original, revised to tie in with the deeper version of Ratchet’s origin story as seen in the film. We envisioned a curated Ratchet & Clank experience that borrowed from the spirit of the classic PS2 titles while infusing some of the best elements from the Ratchet & Clank Future games.

2_ratchetvista3_disco1_snaggbeast

We ended up with a new game, with elements based on the original – but now with modern controls, several new planets, new and updated gameplay segments, all-new Clank gameplay, all new boss fights, new flight sequences, and more, all constructed to take advantage of the PS4’s graphical prowess. Throw in James Arnold Taylor as Ratchet, and you have a new beginning.

The fresh start means we changed up the arsenal quite a bit as well. As always with Ratchet & Clank games, you battle your enemies with an out-of-this-world arsenal. In the PS4 version of Ratchet & Clank the majority of the arsenal are weapons that weren’t in the original game. That means both new weapons and fan-favourite tools of destruction from the Ratchet & Clank Future series will fill out Ratchet’s kit.

From the brand new Pixelizer (which transforms enemies into explosive 8-bit pixels) to franchise favourites like the dance-party-inducing Groovitron and wise-cracking robotic bodyguard Mr. Zurkon, Ratchet & Clank’s arsenal has never been better.

5_metro_ship

When we were asked recently to come up for a special bonus for fans that support Ratchet & Clank (PS4) by pre-ordering it, we went back to the list of our favourite weapons that we hadn’t yet brought to the game. In the end, it was a no-brainer, and I’m ecstatic to say that when you pre-order the game, you’ll get access to one of my all-time favourite weapons from Ratchet & Clank 2: Locked & Loaded – The Bouncer. The Bouncer launches a bomb that releases a plethora of tiny homing bombs that bounce towards targets. One of the most effective and spectacular Ratchet & Clank weapons ever.

We couldn’t be more excited to debut Ratchet & Clank on PS4 and the silver screen. For all the latest updates, stay tuned to the Insomniac Games Facebook and Twitter pages.

Help Ratchet and Clank save the galaxy for the first time, again!

If you have questions, we’ll do our best to answer them in the comments below.

4_metro_train

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

74 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Corporeal_Monkey 10 June, 2015 @ 3:05 pm   1

Fethennour 10 June, 2015 @ 3:06 pm   2

Neat.

Brilliant

tired-hippo 10 June, 2015 @ 3:08 pm   4

Why not save these kind of things for E3 -_- Theres going to be no surprises from anyone at this rate.

ocelot07 10 June, 2015 @ 3:33 pm

This is not much of a surprise considering it was announced a year ago. But I do sort of get what you mean. My guess if there announcing stuff now they must of a lot of stuff to announce at E3 so there announcing a few things now as they won’t have the time to announce them at E3?

ocelot07 10 June, 2015 @ 3:34 pm

Looks amazing.

Stonesthrow 10 June, 2015 @ 4:01 pm

Yea my hype for E3 is pretty much gone now that Fallout 4 has already been announced. I think we’re gonna see a lot of stuff that has already been announced.. Hoping for a load of new IP’s, not indies to be specific -_-

European_Gamer 10 June, 2015 @ 4:53 pm

PlayStation have other games to announce at E3 and they also have to reserve part of their show for third party partners such as Rockstar and Ubisoft.

Stonesthrow 10 June, 2015 @ 6:16 pm

I read something about The Last Guardian somewhere. Could it finally be true when I had almost forgotten about it? 😮 Let’s hope!

TheKyleman 10 June, 2015 @ 3:08 pm   5

Looking absolutely stunning, can’t wait for this! Surprised we got the footage now and not at E3 (not that I’m complaining)

Oh man so much nostalgia. I am beyond excited for this.

zalwelgoedgaan 10 June, 2015 @ 3:10 pm   7

I just started playing Ratchet and Clank 1 and beat that train section a couple of days ago. Seeing it redone this way is pretty cool!

turbogeek421 10 June, 2015 @ 3:11 pm   8

Here’s hoping for couch co-op! My wife really enjoyed “All 4 One”!

Stonesthrow 10 June, 2015 @ 3:57 pm

I’d love co op, but not in the style of All 4 One with the fixed camera etc but just the traditional R&C.

EMPEROR_STE 11 June, 2015 @ 7:55 am

Me and my wife also like playing All 4 One 😉 This does look amazing, love the detail on the boss fight

Peanutt_010 11 June, 2015 @ 12:55 pm

@Emperor_STE

Me and my wife would gladly join your game 😉

EmJayZay 10 June, 2015 @ 3:15 pm   9

SPOILER START FROM THE ORIGINAL:

So no backstabbing Qwark in his base?

SPOILER ENDS

I miss the old Blarg eyes. These normal looking ones just don’t have the same effect for me. Include a cheat which makes their eyes single colored.

Lucreto 10 June, 2015 @ 3:16 pm   10

Looks absolutely amazing, Day One without a doubt.

I am glad a lot of the future series weapons are back. I can’t go on without Mr Zurkon.

Will there be a Collector Edition? I don’t want to preorder until I know for certain.

Alexiel-FR 10 June, 2015 @ 3:18 pm   11

loving it so much, please make a real complete ratchet and clanck collection for ps4 with all the ratchet games at least all ps3 ones in it , that would be awesome , like i wish for a ja and daxter trilogy on ps4 in HD too

mike20036 10 June, 2015 @ 3:19 pm   12

Can’t wait to play this I love the Ratchet & Clank games and played all of the games In the series.

ligtningrod1 10 June, 2015 @ 3:22 pm   13

Yay love Ratchet & Clank thanks Insomniac 🙂

This looks amazing!!! Huge props to the Insomniac development team!

This really almost looks like CGI animation quality in a game!! Love it. 😀 Gameplay looks great as you’d expect from Ratchet & Clank!

I wasn’t really interest in PS4 that much, but that might been changing now. 😉 Might buy one in 2016 now.

Suzzopher 10 June, 2015 @ 3:24 pm   15

It’s looking incredible

dark_angel69 10 June, 2015 @ 3:26 pm   16

I can’t wait for this! So excited for the game and the movie! Will be picking it up day one for sure!

dazzler619 10 June, 2015 @ 3:33 pm   17

After seeing this I’m sold on the game and the film. Looks great and at the same time familiar. I’m glad it’s not just an up res rerelease (there’s enough of those on PS4 already).
And the bouncer is the preorder bonus? That’s my favourite weapon from Lock & Loaded so I have no choice but to preorder.

maniakplm 10 June, 2015 @ 3:47 pm   18

Growing up Insomniac was my babysitter. I remember every inch of all the Ratchet and Clank games and as a fan I couldn’t have been more exciting when Insomniac continued its Ratchet and Clank storytelling on the ps3. I even loved Ratchet Gladiator, one of the best ones in the series in my opinion. There was a point in my life when I loved this company and the team so much, I couldn’t imagine living without an Insomniac game. Then came the latest generation and you guys decided to sell out to Microsoft. I’ll never forget that. There I was, a fan of both Sony and Insomniac, an owner of a PlayStation for the past 20 years and now my favorite company decides „screw the long-time fans, screw Sony and everything we built together, we’ll take the money and run”. Well, I have some bad news for you, Ted Price. That’s not how you treat family. Sorry, I am done with Insomniac.

How sad, I wouldn’t call you a fan of Insomniac, who are not owned by Sony & don’t always have to do a deal with Sony.

R&C > Sunset Overdrive any day of the week

Lucreto 10 June, 2015 @ 3:50 pm   19

Will there be space gameplay?

Stonesthrow 10 June, 2015 @ 3:54 pm   20

Beautiful! Love this series since ps3.

Ivadell 10 June, 2015 @ 3:56 pm   21

Although Going Commando was my absolute favorite I have to admit this does look mighty impressive.

European_Gamer 10 June, 2015 @ 3:57 pm   22

Impressive.

nathanmoore777 10 June, 2015 @ 4:00 pm   23

Son of a Quark! This looks amazing. The graphics, the gameplay, the weapons, the bosses. And that Bouncer gun from Ratchet & Clank 2 (My First ratchet and clank game) – Great gun & a great choice for making a comeback. Here’s hoping we’ll get the Netherbeast weapon from Nexus or the R.Y.N.O. Looking forward to Spring 2016 & it canny come soon enough.

Erroneus 10 June, 2015 @ 4:01 pm   24

So Insomniac Games is back on PlayStation, that’s nice. Would love to see them do Sunset Overdrive for PS4, it’s clearly a fun game, but shame it’s locked down to Xbox One.

Boob_Man 10 June, 2015 @ 4:03 pm   25

Always liked the look of these but found them quite boring to play. Started them all and never ever finished one of them.

Dark-Twisted 10 June, 2015 @ 4:04 pm   26

There’s a playable demo at E3? I’d give my left nut for you to put it up on PSN.

Glad that this one borrows from the PS2 classics. They were my favourites.

Edvardcooper 10 June, 2015 @ 4:11 pm   27

It so…beautiful! Please tell me we’re gonna see more at E3!

Noctis_91 10 June, 2015 @ 4:49 pm   28

is this a remake off the first game?

European_Gamer 10 June, 2015 @ 5:04 pm   29

Here is my question.

Will Insomniac Games (in the future) mainly make multiplatform games or exclusive games for the leading gaming console or exclusive games for that other console?

RedMustang72 10 June, 2015 @ 5:18 pm   30

‘Stuff to kill stuff with’ Can’t wait for this one! 🙂

Wow. Hooooly fuuuuuuuug.

MaxDiehard 10 June, 2015 @ 5:47 pm   32

Please don’t ruin this with DLC and Day 1 items.

Ricz1001 10 June, 2015 @ 5:57 pm   33

I don’t know if I should say this but……..the bouncer [DELETED] sucked!!!!

Give me RYNO free and Ill be happy 🙂

Ricz1001 10 June, 2015 @ 6:01 pm   34

I don’t know if I should say this but……..the bouncer sucked!!!!

Give me RYNO free and Ill be happy 🙂

Witcher70 10 June, 2015 @ 7:17 pm   35

Please no multiplayer!

Really looking forward to this but would like to ask the in game footage looked very fitted to the widescreen aspect so is the game in this widescreen aspect or is it just for this trailer?

MarSSSteR 10 June, 2015 @ 7:51 pm   37

Ratchet & Clank: BEST invention of Playstation. Big fan.
– Ps: Clank a little bit more 😉

GospodinAlen 10 June, 2015 @ 7:53 pm   38

Looks Great!

RedMustang72 10 June, 2015 @ 10:11 pm   39

Mr Zurkon really deserves a spin-off game…with his family of course! 😀

THE_FORCE 10 June, 2015 @ 10:41 pm   40

Best looking PS4 game to date. Silky smooth truly new generation visuals.

Wowzers!

Quinlank 11 June, 2015 @ 12:20 am   41

I’d say I’m surprised to see Insomniac taking a Sony paycheck again so soon, but after Sunset Overdrive was a flop we all saw it coming. Bet you guys are glad you went so far to retain ownership of that IP that you now can’t do a thing with without Microsoft’s say so.

Eslayer2 11 June, 2015 @ 2:55 am   42

it would be fantastic if the demo was put on the PSN store.

maniakplm 11 June, 2015 @ 8:53 am   43

This message is a response to everyone who got involved in my original message about Insomniac, Sony and Microsoft.

1. I did not discredit Insomniac’s achievements over the course of a decade for one second. Ratchet and Clank will remain my favorite franchise of all time and I adore them for that. However, one must agree that Insomniac should reinvent itself. Resistance was an amazing adventure, the 3rd game probably one of the best I’ve played in my life. They should stick to something like that. Look at Naughty Dog’s success when it comes to sticking to what you know best.
2. I was disappointed, as many Insomniac fans, when the team decided to switch camps and leave the Sony family and all the fans by selling out for an exclusive game. Multiplatforming is ok but depriving the people that supported your creative minds by purchasing your games for a decade is not ok.
3. It’s extremely clear to all of us that Insomniac had grand plans with Sunset which failed because sales numbers didn’t match their ambitions. If Sunset would have sold millions, Ted Price would continue to tell in interviews how Sony has held them back creatively and now they are working with a partner that believes in them. Yes, that was the line Insomniac was walking in 2013 when they were throwing left and right words about Sony, just check their press releases and interviews in late 2013, early 2014 about how wonderful Microsoft is and how great it is to finally work with someone that matches their ambitions and allows Insomniac to own the IP.

system11 11 June, 2015 @ 10:26 am   44

30fps for a cartoon platformer? Seriously?

It’s all very well making things look pretty, but games like this need to run smoothly, not judder along at 30fps which compromises all movement of those graphics.

I wonder if anyone really knows what makes a good game anymore, Insomniac certainly don’t. This is going to come out and be less fun than previous installments because it’s running slower, instantly less engaging and less impressive on every level.

Such a disappointment, if you’re going to revive a beloved series like this, at least have the decency to make it run as well as the originals did on far slower hardware.

mrobinson91 11 June, 2015 @ 3:36 pm

I don’t mind 30fps and personally don’t think it looks that bad. As long as it actually maintains 30fps all the time and I don’t see drops.

I’d rather have constant 30fps than 60fps with drops below.

THE_FORCE 12 June, 2015 @ 11:16 am

It must obviously be beneath you to watch any Pixar movie then – considering they’re rendered at a lowly 24fps.

30fps is completely playable – it has been for years, and when it looks this good, who needs a higher framerate? It’s not going to make the game noticeably less responsive or affect your reaction times either.

jessesam14 11 June, 2015 @ 10:45 am   45

The gameplay looks great and the graphics as well!
Since you said we will do our best to answers your questions, I have some for you 🙂

– In the original installment, Quark was a bit of a backstabber, will you change any of this to keep if fresh for returning players? – I also read somewhere that the game is narrated by Quark, if thats true, thats change enough of course.

– Will you introduce space gameplay and fun (little) worlds to explore like in a Crack in Time?

– Does the game run at 30fps or 60fps? (just out of curiosity)

Keep up the good work!

CaptainWitwicky 11 June, 2015 @ 11:15 am   46

Truly looks amazing, been gettin this nostalgic vibe all over me.
But…kinda strange too make such a big deal of the game and eventually focus on the pre order.
Like, all we need to do is buy buy buy instead actually enjoying the game.

redmattuk 11 June, 2015 @ 11:19 am   47

Maybe the day I can get this, uncharted 4 and the last of us and a 1tb PS4 for a good price will be the day I get a PS4

Hymeleon 11 June, 2015 @ 11:36 am   48

Kinda strange to see “Ratchet & Clank Future” references in an european blog…

RetroManHD 11 June, 2015 @ 11:47 am   49

I need a game like this… good old platform arcadyness!!!!

Peanutt_010 11 June, 2015 @ 12:53 pm   50

“SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!.. PLZ”

=Trows money at the screen=

Peanutt_010 11 June, 2015 @ 12:59 pm

And plz port all the PS3 Ratchet and clank games to the PS4.. Thank you .. heres some more money 🙂

Load all