Posted

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture release date announced

The Chinese Room’s mysterious first person adventure launches 11th August 2015

The world ended 31 years ago. That’s the premise of Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, and we’re delighted to be able to announce the game’s launch date: 11th August 2015.

IGN_008

To celebrate this, we’ve launched this dedicated website for the game, which will feature exclusive content – images, music and writing created just for the site. Make sure to visit regularly or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to get news as it arrives.

We want to set the scene for this game, introduce you to characters and themes of the story, get you exclusive previews of the game’s soundtrack and fill you in on some more of the work that’s gone on to create the title. We also wanted to share another piece of music from the game’s gorgeous soundtrack.

There’s going to be a lot more news about Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture coming out between now and launch, including a development diary which lifts the hood on how we got from our first ideas, to this game we’ve poured heart and soul into over the last three years; another mini-documentary and lots more. But don’t worry – the mystery of what happened in Yaughton valley 31 years ago will remain buried in the empty fields and woods for you to discover.

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture is the culmination of journey Jess and I started back in 2006, when we asked the simple question “what happens if you remove traditional mechanics from a game world? Will that be something people will want to play?”

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

The answer to that question, the last nine years have proved, is a pretty emphatic YES. Dear Esther stood on the shoulders of giants, drawing on the long, proud design history of first-person gaming, to just try side-stepping into an area we believed was worth exploring. We look back now at the number of story-driven, exploration-driven games that have been produced since and that’s an incredible thing to be part of. We stand alongside studios and developers who are committed to pushing at the boundaries of what games can be, and that’s being part of a tradition as old as gaming itself. This medium has always been about those boundaries, that pushing out, that bending and breaking of rules to do new things, and we hope Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture will earn its place in that.

Personally, back in 1984 I was eleven years old, and obsessed with my ZX Spectrum. By then, I’d made a couple of games for myself, including a procedural cave shooter – it wasn’t much, but it worked, and being able to create something in this amazing space was about as cool as life got.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

If you’d told me then that one day I’d be squaring up to launch a game like Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, I don’t think I could have believed it. But I know that the same giddy rush of excitement has never left me. Like Kate, one of the astronomers at the heart of Rapture’s story puts it – “my hands are shaking. I’m like a little kid.”

Jess and I are really lucky to have an amazing team working on this project and they’ve done an outstanding job. It’s been an incredible game to work on and we hope you enjoy it as much as we’ve enjoyed making it.

There are strange voices on the television and numbers on the phone; lights in the skies and electricity in the air. The end of the world is coming.

IGN_005

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

24 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

misi2mezei 11 June, 2015 @ 2:12 pm   1

Can’t wait, looks awesome.
Any idea on the pricing yet?

BADABADOO 11 June, 2015 @ 2:14 pm   2

The game looks stunning. You have obviously worked extremely hard on it. I cant wait to find out more about it and, finally, give it a good ol’ playing 🙂

Those graphics and story, can’t wait!

tpepper1985 11 June, 2015 @ 2:41 pm   4

I’m British but moved to the Netherlands 3 years ago. You have nailed the art style as it made me a little home sick! Reminds me of where I grew up, looking forward to this one 🙂

ocelot07 11 June, 2015 @ 2:41 pm   5

Looks amazing.

SSJ4_Haruhi 11 June, 2015 @ 2:42 pm   6

This’ll be a game I get once I get my PS4 later in the year!

Flying_Pig 11 June, 2015 @ 3:39 pm   7

Looks fantastic. Day 1 purchase for me.

CoolRichy007UK 11 June, 2015 @ 3:42 pm   8

Im buying the day 1 before anyone else buys it im always 1st at buying games

Man the soundtrack to this game is truly great.
Btw I sincerely hope I’ll be able to buy the .flacs somewhere ^^

Harrisown 11 June, 2015 @ 5:04 pm   10

Looks great. Just like home 🙂

residentSteve 11 June, 2015 @ 5:17 pm   11

Is this a spin off of bio-shock then.

CoolRichy007UK 12 June, 2015 @ 2:13 am

Umm no no and no lol it has nothing todo with bioshock if it was it be called bioshock rapture

Witcher70 11 June, 2015 @ 7:05 pm   12

Oh finally! Its been a loooong wait! I can’t wait to buy this game!

Everyone must buy this! Without developers trying new things we will be stuck with the same old EA/Activision tripe year after year. I can’t wait.

GIGGITY_GOO__ 12 June, 2015 @ 1:18 am   14

I want this game looks like something I will like but is it digital only or can we expect disc ? But noticed one problem with it when looking at gameplay the game is based in the 80s but the petrol station has today’s prices on it no way was petrol £1.38p in the 80s it was about 35-40p lol

ShadowFlightBA 12 June, 2015 @ 8:52 am   15

It looks very nice, but I’m on the fence still. Not sure what this is all about. On the one hand it looks compelling, on the other hand the age rating puts me off and makes me think why it’s that high. Let’s see what the pricing will be and if I take the chance with thuis game or not.

SoD_Raysod 12 June, 2015 @ 1:56 pm   16

The game looks great and i wait more info/gameplay on E3, but the release date is very wrong in my opinion.

Most Europeans and Americans will be on vacation on that period (11/8), no one is buying games on August, especially in Europe, and that will really affect game sales.

I believe the same for Until Dawn (releasing end of August), as it would be better releasing on Halloween, and it seems that both games as send to die financially from Sony.

TheAwesomeDiablo 12 June, 2015 @ 2:49 pm   17

Amazing, simply amazing, I’ve been looking forward to this release all year, any news on pre-order details and pricing? Will there be a collectors edition or is it purely PS store exclusive?

TrueMurton 16 June, 2015 @ 12:17 am

All we know so far is that it’s a download only game. The fact that it has a firm date means that the USD and Euro prices have probably been agreed too, sadly we won’t know what price SCEE is going to set for us until if actually comes out.

Stonesthrow 12 June, 2015 @ 7:44 pm   18

One of the few Indies I’m really interested in.