Posted

Media Player launches on PS4 today

Read on to find a full list of supported file types and codecs

Hello PlayStation Nation! Every time we announce new features for PS4 here on PlayStation Blog, I love going into the comments to answer your questions and see feedback on which features people really like and which ones people still want to see. One of those questions I have been able to count on has been, “Where is our PS4 media player?”

If you were watching our E3 press conference pre-show, you probably heard the good news – Media Player for the PS4 will be available to download from PlayStation Store this evening.

A Media Player icon will appear in the PS4 content area, simply select the icon and you will be taken to the PS Store where you can begin the download.

001Home

The Media Player works with both your home server and when plugging a USB stick with media into one of the available ports on the PS4. Your home server will appear as a media option in the player automatically and finding your media is simple and quick. You may also simply enjoy music as background music on your PS4!

Of course, we know what you really want to see: look below to see supported video and audio file formats and codec details.

002List 003MusicPlayer

File formats and codecs

Video

• MKV
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • AVI
    • Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • MP4
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • MPEG-2 TS
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
    • Audio: MP2 (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
    • AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)

Photo

• JPEG (based on DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21)
  • BMP
  • PNG

Music

• MP3
  • AAC (M4A)

004VideoPlayer

We know the Media Player has been a highly-requested feature for PS4 and we want to thank you for passionate feedback. I know the Media Player will be a favourite new feature for PS4 owners who love to use their PS4 as the entertainment center of their living room. What other features would you like to see come to PS4? Let us know in the comments!

boiler-plate-E3

313 Comments
0 Author replies

Thank you! Finally! YES!!!

Finally!! Amazing!

It’s infected with cinavia though isn’t it? You probably don’t want to out and out say it, but you might as well pull of this bandaid up front.

CluckNuggets 16 June, 2015 @ 13:45
3.1

Cinavia is no longer a problem if you use the right applications ;)

CluckNuggets 16 June, 2015 @ 13:48
3.2

Look to the Slysoft

Thanks so much for media support. It’s really appreciated. Hopefully in the future we can store media on the PS4’s HDD.

A PS4 feature I’d really enjoy is the ability to keep my trophy screenshots forever associated with my trophies online. So if I delete a screenshot from my system, it stays online, ready to view and share at any time.

Thanks!

tylrdiablos 16 June, 2015 @ 02:33

Awesome work, Sony.
I’ll be splashing out £70 today when I buy the official “Golds” headset as a thank you.

CoolRichy007UK 16 June, 2015 @ 22:28
5.1

its a black headset sprayed gold ;)

Majik_Meerkat 16 June, 2015 @ 02:42

I want to see the ability to use content manager with the PS4

andrewsqual 16 June, 2015 @ 03:07

Yaaaay finally although I may still purchase that Plex app eventually when it becomes available separate to the premium plex package :)

SuperJay182 16 June, 2015 @ 22:30
7.1

I’ve got plex+, it’s definitely worth it as a server & overall service :)

Thanks, this is good news. BUT, is there a support for external subtitle files also? (.srt .sub ) In Finland we use subtitles because not all people understand the original languages.That is a very important feature needed with video files! Without external subtitle support the videoplayer is almost useless :( This is needed in many countries, i know that. All of the nordic countries use subtitles.

8.1

Yes, I totally agree.
As a fansubber, I’d love to use subtitles with my videos.

There’s a way to put the subs in the videos… but it takes some work and time.

8.2

We need subtitles! Reason: deaf. Sony forgets!

In sweden we know english

Show more replies
Bulbatron22 16 June, 2015 @ 03:47

It would be great to have CD playback. Yes, I know, but what can I say? I’m old and still have CDs.

What I’d really love to see, though, is backwards compatibility. I’m not necessarily talking about PS3 backwards compatibility, but PSone and PS2 compatibility.

Having said that, I do think Sony needs to rethink its strategy for PS3 backwards compatibility in the wake of Microsoft’s announcement in this area.

All PlayStation system till 4 (not sure about PSP, tbh) are really complex system, especially build for games. The 360 was not a standard PC like system, but still not as complex as the 3 or the 2. Creating a working emulator for the 360 is impressive, but not comparable to developing one for the 3 or 2.

@Slyazx If wizkids on the internet can make emulators, surely the guys at Sony can. Even if the Cell processor is a odd one.

9.3

@Sidone

XB360 games are not emulated (it’s impossible to emulate a 3.2 GHz PPC on a 1.7 GHz x86), their main code is simply recompiled for the new CPU.

Sony could try to do the same, but the Cell is not exactly an off-the-shelf PPC, and many PS3 games extensively use the Cell instead of the GPU for graphics operations. That’s why they make you pay for “remastered” ports like The Last of Us and Uncharted on PS4.

Show more replies
FortyPercent 16 June, 2015 @ 03:53

Awesome to see this finally happen. MKV support is especially appreciated, and this should make playing music a bit more comfortable too.

I’d like to second Bulbatron22s interest in talk of PS1 and PS2 Classics compatibility though. With these media player functions, I think Classics support is the last of the features I really want to see implemented to still not be in. Hope we’ll see it some day.

kickass_eden 16 June, 2015 @ 04:18

Finally! I was very disappointed when I found out that this simple feature didn’t exist when I bought my PS4. Glad you finally realised your mistake Sony, and having the guts to rectify it.

Backwards compatibility. Not because I need it: you announced So Many Great Games I dont need to play old ones.

Just for trolling Microsoft

MKV SUPPORT?! Now that is listening Sony! Much appreciated and for my dollars, better than backwards compatibility.

NFiniteGamer 16 June, 2015 @ 08:03
13.1

You do realise the Xbone already has MKV SUPPORT right? and has had for a while now enjoy your catchup, and enjoy Cinavia LOL

13.2

You must be fun at parties.

Amarcanoiii 16 June, 2015 @ 04:56

Thanks so much for media support,Hopefully we can store media on the PS4’s HDD.

14.1

Agree, this is something I’m hoping for too

I would love it if we were able to pay to change our PSN IDs!

15.1

Please

xiuyinghong 17 June, 2015 @ 14:03
15.2

Please

I want nothing more than this and I know many others feel the same

Does it support subtitles in .srt files like the Xbox One media player?

16.1

I guess not, according to some users here… Shame, it’s a MUST HAVE feature for most EU users, I’d say.

16.2

It does 100% I’ve checked it

16.3

Let me know if it still doesn’t work for you

Show more replies

Also, when are you going to add PSOne (and/or PS2) classics emulation? Take note that the competition is already offering partial backwards compatibility with the previous generation!

Only other thing to ask for the media player is FLAC support.

18.1

Agree.

Apparently all the users have bionic eyes for telling between 1080p and 900p, but none with bionic eyes for discerning between .mp3 and .flac

Please add the FLAC codec which is free source (https://xiph.org/flac/)

18.2

Yes, yes, and more yes. I was pretty disappointed to hear about getting AAC yet no mention of FLAC. FLAC kicks the butt of AAC and there is no reason I can see why we are still waiting for FLAC support.
I can play them through my receiver, but not while simultaneously playing games. It would add a lot of quality to certain games like gta 5 on ps4.

TheWhiteHammer91 16 June, 2015 @ 05:27

Fist off let me thank you personally for this I’ve been waiting and knew it was around the corner. Secondly please please please make games bootable from external hdd, with limited disk space and games averaging 50+ gb, my storage is full and deleting games just to redownload later isn’t exactly what I want to do. I shouldn’t have to pick and choose, I’m sure a lot of people would agree with me.

Common-Street 17 June, 2015 @ 05:46
19.1

Just buy a bigger hard drive i bought a 2tb for 120 on amazon its expensive but worth the price, all games plus more fit no problem.

xiuyinghong 17 June, 2015 @ 14:07
19.2

Common-Street:

That’s all well and good but my 2TB drive is 3/4 full now, less than 2 years into the lifecycle of the machine. When games can be 50GB or more it can fill up quickly. It’s a feature I’m very grateful for on my Xbone, but I buy most of my games on PS4 so it would really help.

No FLAC support, No DTS support, NOT interested

20.1

The same limitations as PS3 then. Having to split mkv files to accommodate FAT32 and convert DTS to AC3. I also get slight judder when watching movies on PS3 (24fps into 60hz doesn’t go) Is there an option on the PS4 media player to run at 24hz like they let you do when playing a physical Blu-ray?

Taartgooier 16 June, 2015 @ 06:17

Please a GRAPHIC EQUALIZER..!

PaulKylymnyk 16 June, 2015 @ 06:27

No FLAC support? Aww. :(

We would like to see video chat come to the console please can you add this to PS4 would be great thing
i like the media player it so cool

I want to say thank you and hope you can bring video chat.

When is the next PS4 Update coming.

Video Chat

CDs to be played on console

and a way where we can use are own Pictures and put them on the background would be cool

Playstation Now app for uk would be great too

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:13
24.1

PlayStation Now is currently in Beta in the UK. It’s gone from free Beta to paid Beta (£4.99 to rent a PS3 title for 2 days, £9.99 for 30 days).

one-fair-soul 16 June, 2015 @ 06:40

Wonderful addition. The supported files are what majority of the people use. I love the inclusion of .mkv format. Thanks.

I just want to know one thing – DOES IT SUPPORT NTFS HDDs?

26.1

No, only FAT/exFAT, no NTFS :(

And no DTS…

And seems like no subtitles also :/

So still lacking a lot to be usable for those with a decent audio system that aren’t native English speakers (or Americans who like foreign films)

26.2

NTFS is a file system developed by Microsoft, so you shouldn’t be suprised of not being supported by PS4 :)

26.3

And yeah, I’ve just realized that exFAT is developed by Microsoft too, so my argument is retarded, in fact :D

Still, NTFS and DTS support would be nice :)

Show more replies
DarthCaedus81 16 June, 2015 @ 06:45

Thank you. Not to sound ungrateful but can we please have a media remote now as well?

27.1

Before that, they should probably add NTFS support, DTS support, and subtitle support

ThecomplexEnd 16 June, 2015 @ 07:03

Sooo I unplugged my external from my Xbox so I can use the ps4 and movie/game. Sadly it didn’t work. I figured OK reformat to exfat and I should be good. Nope. Does this media player only work for thumb drives?? if so that’s a bumer :( i am Finding it impossible to use at the moment. Its picking up the drive but says its empty……. I tried the DLNA feature and I can say it works but its really slow for my ps4 to get 27k songs

Thunderhawk60one 16 June, 2015 @ 07:33
28.1

I seem to recall that you need to create a folder called music and put your stuff in that one?

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:15
28.2

Try FAT32. ExFAT isn’t supported (as far as I’m aware).

Good feature. Next up… an increase to the 1GB cloud storage please, or at least rebalance with the PS3/Vita allowances which are much harder to fill!

29.1

I can agree with this more. While 1GB sounds good, it’s not even close to enough, especially with games like Little Big Planet taking over 500mb (no joke) of that space. Really Media Molecule? That’s a bit excessive, isn’t it?

shadowofthehell 16 June, 2015 @ 07:30

I’m was soooooo happy but It’s dosn’t downloaded on my ps4

Taartgooier 16 June, 2015 @ 07:38

Is there a possibility to build a search-mode for music on the USB to locate tracks fast and make a playlist of the music stored on the USB..?!?

31.1

The reason my music is on a media server is because of the amount of it, so Search would be great. But glad to have the means to play it now, cheers

Please allow watching streams of all Twitch games!

Please add subtitles *srt and *sub! :)

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:16
33.1

Try enabling closed caption support in the accessibility settings, then it should work.

33.2

@TomAlexDark
it works only with avi…with mp4 and mkv it still doesn’t work

33.3

SRT and SUB and MKB embedded subtitles please!!!!

What about 3D support?

34.1

already available

markpucjlowski 14 July, 2015 @ 21:09
34.2

Roy, i see you are from SA, my PS4 does not pick up my movie files, am I doing something wrong (on usb)

Come on mates, it’s 2015, give us flac support…

GunstarHeroX 16 June, 2015 @ 08:57

Fiiiiiiiiiinally. Thank you! It’s been too long coming, but better late than never.
Now we just need an official media remote, and we promise we’ll leave you alone :)

This may sound a bit daft, but I think it would be a nice addition,
With regards to the cloud storage,
Making it possible to select multiple files at once to delete them, as it’s a royal pain in the behind having to
Press delete
Find file
Select files
Press delete

Then repeat

It takes forever if you have a load of old games on there you don’t want

Still no CDs support… come on :/

38.1

CDs died a long time ago, that’s like asking for LP record support :)

38.2

While you may think you are right about cds being dead, that isn’t true. I’m a musician and have 7 albums out. Cds are still quite popular when you compare physical with digital purchases, especially now that many bands are including extras with the cds.

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:19
38.3

@Midiboy – CDs are in fact deprecated. They’re old technology and there’s no room for them in the future. Regardless of whether *some* people still use them, they’re not the future – streaming services are.

While the addition of the media player is appreciated and long overdue what we have finally received after waiting over 18 months is a player still missing vital features as already mentioned in these comments. For the love of God how hard can it be to deliver a fully complete product day one. Another 12 months of pointless feedback from PS4 owners when Sony knows all to well what features we expect from a fully functional media player. Laughable.

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:22
39.1

Actually, Sony’s been pretty good at delivering things that were raised to them (such as Spotify support, in lieu of Sony’s own music service). If people actually directed their suggestions to Sony, they would probably pay attention and look at introducing new features. Instead, people moan on blogs and forums, hoping that Sony’s dev team look everywhere on the internet, all of the time.

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:23
39.2

Plus, the PS4 was never introduced as a media player system, it’s a games console. That’s exactly the angle that Sony were going for against the XBone, which *was* paraded as a full media center.

IPv6 – that’s the one thing that I want mostly.
And maybe DVD / Audio CD playback will be also good.

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:33
40.1

Do you really need IPv6 on home networking (internal)? We’re running out of public IPv4 addresses, but an average household won’t need any more than 16,777,214 addresses per network.

georgesaviour 16 June, 2015 @ 09:18

Would be nice if it had subtitles support :(

Supergertzy 16 June, 2015 @ 09:21

It would be super-fancy if Media Player got Airplay-support so I can stream from my iMac : D

42.1

Try googling for PS3 media server for iMac works a treat.

Wonderful! I hope subtitles and audio track select will be available soon.

Useless. You can watch movies from Netflix and listen to music from YouTube

KaneTheGoth 16 June, 2015 @ 11:50
44.1

…providing your tastes are generic enough that Netflix actually has what you want.

Don’t be a sheep and limit yourself to just what Netflix places in front of you.

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:34
44.2

Listen to music from YouTube, surely Spotify would be more relevant?

Where I can download it? I don’t see “applications” link in ps store on web :( Same as themes :(

Supergertzy 16 June, 2015 @ 09:35
45.1

You can just press the icon on the console meny…

new features are welcome, thanks guys.
skype would be too much asking??

46.1

Skype is owned by Microsoft, you think they want it on their only competition on the console market?

46.2

Oovoo is meant to be coming soon to PS4. Supports conference calls too.

Ali-Saihati 16 June, 2015 @ 09:34

What about “.srt” files support?

Anyone know what bit rates the MP3 playback will support?

I agree FLAC support please (but well done with MKV)

GoCletusLive 16 June, 2015 @ 09:39

Everything’s great with PS4, thank you! Except web browser, I guess.
Also, I myself would like to see more PS Vita support because it’s too early to be left behind. More AAA titles, bring Monster Hunter if possible. Helldivers is also a good game example for Vita, it’s fast-paced and has no long missions. I’d suggest bringing AirMech Arena and Magicka 2 to Vita as well.
To me, Vita is swarmed with retro-styled simple games and JRPGs, that’s very sad. Take it seriously, Sony, I know it’s not lost yet.

50.1

it’s such an under-rated system I often use my vita to remote play my ps4 when family need the tv.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history