Posted

Media Player launches on PS4 today

Read on to find a full list of supported file types and codecs

Hello PlayStation Nation! Every time we announce new features for PS4 here on PlayStation Blog, I love going into the comments to answer your questions and see feedback on which features people really like and which ones people still want to see. One of those questions I have been able to count on has been, “Where is our PS4 media player?”

If you were watching our E3 press conference pre-show, you probably heard the good news – Media Player for the PS4 will be available to download from PlayStation Store this evening.

A Media Player icon will appear in the PS4 content area, simply select the icon and you will be taken to the PS Store where you can begin the download.

001Home

The Media Player works with both your home server and when plugging a USB stick with media into one of the available ports on the PS4. Your home server will appear as a media option in the player automatically and finding your media is simple and quick. You may also simply enjoy music as background music on your PS4!

Of course, we know what you really want to see: look below to see supported video and audio file formats and codec details.

002List 003MusicPlayer

File formats and codecs

Video

• MKV
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • AVI
    • Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • MP4
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • MPEG-2 TS
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
    • Audio: MP2 (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
    • AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)

Photo

• JPEG (based on DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21)
  • BMP
  • PNG

Music

• MP3
  • AAC (M4A)

004VideoPlayer

We know the Media Player has been a highly-requested feature for PS4 and we want to thank you for passionate feedback. I know the Media Player will be a favourite new feature for PS4 owners who love to use their PS4 as the entertainment center of their living room. What other features would you like to see come to PS4? Let us know in the comments!

boiler-plate-E3

313 Comments
0 Author replies

Thank you! Finally! YES!!!

Finally!! Amazing!

It’s infected with cinavia though isn’t it? You probably don’t want to out and out say it, but you might as well pull of this bandaid up front.

CluckNuggets 16 June, 2015 @ 13:45
3.1

Cinavia is no longer a problem if you use the right applications ;)

CluckNuggets 16 June, 2015 @ 13:48
3.2

Look to the Slysoft

Thanks so much for media support. It’s really appreciated. Hopefully in the future we can store media on the PS4’s HDD.

A PS4 feature I’d really enjoy is the ability to keep my trophy screenshots forever associated with my trophies online. So if I delete a screenshot from my system, it stays online, ready to view and share at any time.

Thanks!

tylrdiablos 16 June, 2015 @ 02:33

Awesome work, Sony.
I’ll be splashing out £70 today when I buy the official “Golds” headset as a thank you.

CoolRichy007UK 16 June, 2015 @ 22:28
5.1

its a black headset sprayed gold ;)

Majik_Meerkat 16 June, 2015 @ 02:42

I want to see the ability to use content manager with the PS4

andrewsqual 16 June, 2015 @ 03:07

Yaaaay finally although I may still purchase that Plex app eventually when it becomes available separate to the premium plex package :)

SuperJay182 16 June, 2015 @ 22:30
7.1

I’ve got plex+, it’s definitely worth it as a server & overall service :)

Thanks, this is good news. BUT, is there a support for external subtitle files also? (.srt .sub ) In Finland we use subtitles because not all people understand the original languages.That is a very important feature needed with video files! Without external subtitle support the videoplayer is almost useless :( This is needed in many countries, i know that. All of the nordic countries use subtitles.

8.1

Yes, I totally agree.
As a fansubber, I’d love to use subtitles with my videos.

There’s a way to put the subs in the videos… but it takes some work and time.

8.2

We need subtitles! Reason: deaf. Sony forgets!

In sweden we know english

Show more replies
Bulbatron22 16 June, 2015 @ 03:47

It would be great to have CD playback. Yes, I know, but what can I say? I’m old and still have CDs.

What I’d really love to see, though, is backwards compatibility. I’m not necessarily talking about PS3 backwards compatibility, but PSone and PS2 compatibility.

Having said that, I do think Sony needs to rethink its strategy for PS3 backwards compatibility in the wake of Microsoft’s announcement in this area.

All PlayStation system till 4 (not sure about PSP, tbh) are really complex system, especially build for games. The 360 was not a standard PC like system, but still not as complex as the 3 or the 2. Creating a working emulator for the 360 is impressive, but not comparable to developing one for the 3 or 2.

@Slyazx If wizkids on the internet can make emulators, surely the guys at Sony can. Even if the Cell processor is a odd one.

9.3

@Sidone

XB360 games are not emulated (it’s impossible to emulate a 3.2 GHz PPC on a 1.7 GHz x86), their main code is simply recompiled for the new CPU.

Sony could try to do the same, but the Cell is not exactly an off-the-shelf PPC, and many PS3 games extensively use the Cell instead of the GPU for graphics operations. That’s why they make you pay for “remastered” ports like The Last of Us and Uncharted on PS4.

Show more replies
FortyPercent 16 June, 2015 @ 03:53

Awesome to see this finally happen. MKV support is especially appreciated, and this should make playing music a bit more comfortable too.

I’d like to second Bulbatron22s interest in talk of PS1 and PS2 Classics compatibility though. With these media player functions, I think Classics support is the last of the features I really want to see implemented to still not be in. Hope we’ll see it some day.

kickass_eden 16 June, 2015 @ 04:18

Finally! I was very disappointed when I found out that this simple feature didn’t exist when I bought my PS4. Glad you finally realised your mistake Sony, and having the guts to rectify it.

Backwards compatibility. Not because I need it: you announced So Many Great Games I dont need to play old ones.

Just for trolling Microsoft

MKV SUPPORT?! Now that is listening Sony! Much appreciated and for my dollars, better than backwards compatibility.

NFiniteGamer 16 June, 2015 @ 08:03
13.1

You do realise the Xbone already has MKV SUPPORT right? and has had for a while now enjoy your catchup, and enjoy Cinavia LOL

13.2

You must be fun at parties.

Amarcanoiii 16 June, 2015 @ 04:56

Thanks so much for media support,Hopefully we can store media on the PS4’s HDD.

14.1

Agree, this is something I’m hoping for too

I would love it if we were able to pay to change our PSN IDs!

15.1

Please

xiuyinghong 17 June, 2015 @ 14:03
15.2

Please

I want nothing more than this and I know many others feel the same

Does it support subtitles in .srt files like the Xbox One media player?

16.1

I guess not, according to some users here… Shame, it’s a MUST HAVE feature for most EU users, I’d say.

16.2

It does 100% I’ve checked it

16.3

Let me know if it still doesn’t work for you

Show more replies

Also, when are you going to add PSOne (and/or PS2) classics emulation? Take note that the competition is already offering partial backwards compatibility with the previous generation!

Only other thing to ask for the media player is FLAC support.

18.1

Agree.

Apparently all the users have bionic eyes for telling between 1080p and 900p, but none with bionic eyes for discerning between .mp3 and .flac

Please add the FLAC codec which is free source (https://xiph.org/flac/)

18.2

Yes, yes, and more yes. I was pretty disappointed to hear about getting AAC yet no mention of FLAC. FLAC kicks the butt of AAC and there is no reason I can see why we are still waiting for FLAC support.
I can play them through my receiver, but not while simultaneously playing games. It would add a lot of quality to certain games like gta 5 on ps4.

TheWhiteHammer91 16 June, 2015 @ 05:27

Fist off let me thank you personally for this I’ve been waiting and knew it was around the corner. Secondly please please please make games bootable from external hdd, with limited disk space and games averaging 50+ gb, my storage is full and deleting games just to redownload later isn’t exactly what I want to do. I shouldn’t have to pick and choose, I’m sure a lot of people would agree with me.

Common-Street 17 June, 2015 @ 05:46
19.1

Just buy a bigger hard drive i bought a 2tb for 120 on amazon its expensive but worth the price, all games plus more fit no problem.

xiuyinghong 17 June, 2015 @ 14:07
19.2

Common-Street:

That’s all well and good but my 2TB drive is 3/4 full now, less than 2 years into the lifecycle of the machine. When games can be 50GB or more it can fill up quickly. It’s a feature I’m very grateful for on my Xbone, but I buy most of my games on PS4 so it would really help.

No FLAC support, No DTS support, NOT interested

20.1

The same limitations as PS3 then. Having to split mkv files to accommodate FAT32 and convert DTS to AC3. I also get slight judder when watching movies on PS3 (24fps into 60hz doesn’t go) Is there an option on the PS4 media player to run at 24hz like they let you do when playing a physical Blu-ray?

Taartgooier 16 June, 2015 @ 06:17

Please a GRAPHIC EQUALIZER..!

PaulKylymnyk 16 June, 2015 @ 06:27

No FLAC support? Aww. :(

We would like to see video chat come to the console please can you add this to PS4 would be great thing
i like the media player it so cool

I want to say thank you and hope you can bring video chat.

When is the next PS4 Update coming.

Video Chat

CDs to be played on console

and a way where we can use are own Pictures and put them on the background would be cool

Playstation Now app for uk would be great too

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:13
24.1

PlayStation Now is currently in Beta in the UK. It’s gone from free Beta to paid Beta (£4.99 to rent a PS3 title for 2 days, £9.99 for 30 days).

one-fair-soul 16 June, 2015 @ 06:40

Wonderful addition. The supported files are what majority of the people use. I love the inclusion of .mkv format. Thanks.

I just want to know one thing – DOES IT SUPPORT NTFS HDDs?

26.1

No, only FAT/exFAT, no NTFS :(

And no DTS…

And seems like no subtitles also :/

So still lacking a lot to be usable for those with a decent audio system that aren’t native English speakers (or Americans who like foreign films)

26.2

NTFS is a file system developed by Microsoft, so you shouldn’t be suprised of not being supported by PS4 :)

26.3

And yeah, I’ve just realized that exFAT is developed by Microsoft too, so my argument is retarded, in fact :D

Still, NTFS and DTS support would be nice :)

Show more replies
DarthCaedus81 16 June, 2015 @ 06:45

Thank you. Not to sound ungrateful but can we please have a media remote now as well?

27.1

Before that, they should probably add NTFS support, DTS support, and subtitle support

ThecomplexEnd 16 June, 2015 @ 07:03

Sooo I unplugged my external from my Xbox so I can use the ps4 and movie/game. Sadly it didn’t work. I figured OK reformat to exfat and I should be good. Nope. Does this media player only work for thumb drives?? if so that’s a bumer :( i am Finding it impossible to use at the moment. Its picking up the drive but says its empty……. I tried the DLNA feature and I can say it works but its really slow for my ps4 to get 27k songs

Thunderhawk60one 16 June, 2015 @ 07:33
28.1

I seem to recall that you need to create a folder called music and put your stuff in that one?

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:15
28.2

Try FAT32. ExFAT isn’t supported (as far as I’m aware).

Good feature. Next up… an increase to the 1GB cloud storage please, or at least rebalance with the PS3/Vita allowances which are much harder to fill!

29.1

I can agree with this more. While 1GB sounds good, it’s not even close to enough, especially with games like Little Big Planet taking over 500mb (no joke) of that space. Really Media Molecule? That’s a bit excessive, isn’t it?

shadowofthehell 16 June, 2015 @ 07:30

I’m was soooooo happy but It’s dosn’t downloaded on my ps4

Taartgooier 16 June, 2015 @ 07:38

Is there a possibility to build a search-mode for music on the USB to locate tracks fast and make a playlist of the music stored on the USB..?!?

31.1

The reason my music is on a media server is because of the amount of it, so Search would be great. But glad to have the means to play it now, cheers

Please allow watching streams of all Twitch games!

Please add subtitles *srt and *sub! :)

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:16
33.1

Try enabling closed caption support in the accessibility settings, then it should work.

33.2

@TomAlexDark
it works only with avi…with mp4 and mkv it still doesn’t work

33.3

SRT and SUB and MKB embedded subtitles please!!!!

What about 3D support?

34.1

already available

markpucjlowski 14 July, 2015 @ 21:09
34.2

Roy, i see you are from SA, my PS4 does not pick up my movie files, am I doing something wrong (on usb)

Come on mates, it’s 2015, give us flac support…

GunstarHeroX 16 June, 2015 @ 08:57

Fiiiiiiiiiinally. Thank you! It’s been too long coming, but better late than never.
Now we just need an official media remote, and we promise we’ll leave you alone :)

This may sound a bit daft, but I think it would be a nice addition,
With regards to the cloud storage,
Making it possible to select multiple files at once to delete them, as it’s a royal pain in the behind having to
Press delete
Find file
Select files
Press delete

Then repeat

It takes forever if you have a load of old games on there you don’t want

Still no CDs support… come on :/

38.1

CDs died a long time ago, that’s like asking for LP record support :)

38.2

While you may think you are right about cds being dead, that isn’t true. I’m a musician and have 7 albums out. Cds are still quite popular when you compare physical with digital purchases, especially now that many bands are including extras with the cds.

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:19
38.3

@Midiboy – CDs are in fact deprecated. They’re old technology and there’s no room for them in the future. Regardless of whether *some* people still use them, they’re not the future – streaming services are.

While the addition of the media player is appreciated and long overdue what we have finally received after waiting over 18 months is a player still missing vital features as already mentioned in these comments. For the love of God how hard can it be to deliver a fully complete product day one. Another 12 months of pointless feedback from PS4 owners when Sony knows all to well what features we expect from a fully functional media player. Laughable.

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:22
39.1

Actually, Sony’s been pretty good at delivering things that were raised to them (such as Spotify support, in lieu of Sony’s own music service). If people actually directed their suggestions to Sony, they would probably pay attention and look at introducing new features. Instead, people moan on blogs and forums, hoping that Sony’s dev team look everywhere on the internet, all of the time.

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:23
39.2

Plus, the PS4 was never introduced as a media player system, it’s a games console. That’s exactly the angle that Sony were going for against the XBone, which *was* paraded as a full media center.

IPv6 – that’s the one thing that I want mostly.
And maybe DVD / Audio CD playback will be also good.

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:33
40.1

Do you really need IPv6 on home networking (internal)? We’re running out of public IPv4 addresses, but an average household won’t need any more than 16,777,214 addresses per network.

georgesaviour 16 June, 2015 @ 09:18

Would be nice if it had subtitles support :(

Supergertzy 16 June, 2015 @ 09:21

It would be super-fancy if Media Player got Airplay-support so I can stream from my iMac : D

42.1

Try googling for PS3 media server for iMac works a treat.

Wonderful! I hope subtitles and audio track select will be available soon.

Useless. You can watch movies from Netflix and listen to music from YouTube

KaneTheGoth 16 June, 2015 @ 11:50
44.1

…providing your tastes are generic enough that Netflix actually has what you want.

Don’t be a sheep and limit yourself to just what Netflix places in front of you.

TomAlexDark 19 June, 2015 @ 14:34
44.2

Listen to music from YouTube, surely Spotify would be more relevant?

Where I can download it? I don’t see “applications” link in ps store on web :( Same as themes :(

Supergertzy 16 June, 2015 @ 09:35
45.1

You can just press the icon on the console meny…

new features are welcome, thanks guys.
skype would be too much asking??

46.1

Skype is owned by Microsoft, you think they want it on their only competition on the console market?

46.2

Oovoo is meant to be coming soon to PS4. Supports conference calls too.

Ali-Saihati 16 June, 2015 @ 09:34

What about “.srt” files support?

Anyone know what bit rates the MP3 playback will support?

I agree FLAC support please (but well done with MKV)

GoCletusLive 16 June, 2015 @ 09:39

Everything’s great with PS4, thank you! Except web browser, I guess.
Also, I myself would like to see more PS Vita support because it’s too early to be left behind. More AAA titles, bring Monster Hunter if possible. Helldivers is also a good game example for Vita, it’s fast-paced and has no long missions. I’d suggest bringing AirMech Arena and Magicka 2 to Vita as well.
To me, Vita is swarmed with retro-styled simple games and JRPGs, that’s very sad. Take it seriously, Sony, I know it’s not lost yet.

50.1

it’s such an under-rated system I often use my vita to remote play my ps4 when family need the tv.

MaSsA-K_ONE 16 June, 2015 @ 09:41

Nice but this is a feature that probably everyone expected because ps3 had it.
and for gods sake please let us shut down this stupid light bar please.thumbs up you can see your health in games with it….because you have the time to look at the backside of your controler….sure

kazuma-rico 16 June, 2015 @ 09:42

Love it

A music visualiser of planets/stars would be the nuts. The Earth visualiser on the PS3 was stunning.

lunalicrichard 16 June, 2015 @ 09:58

Great that it’s finally back !

Downloaded media player with great anticipation as I’ve got Gbs of music to listen to. Plugged in my external hard drive into the usb. All my films and tv pros come through but for some reason only jpg pictures are showing in my music files.

demonsgalore 16 June, 2015 @ 10:01

Awewome. Thank you Sony!

FLAC files please!!!

metalliphyll 16 June, 2015 @ 10:01

Do not use the music player whilst playing a game I was playing Metallica under Witcher and it cause screenshots, and trophy fails as soon as I quit the app (2 hours after these issues) screenshots were saved and trophies popped out of nowhere, This needs to be fixed

I guess all we need now is ability to play avi mp4 and mkv files from usb devices or hdd then we should be good to go :)

thestigstar 16 June, 2015 @ 10:08

Yea there is just 1 more thing we are all missing on ps4 is itv player you had it installed on ps3 but not ps4 when I look on the browser aswell on ps4 and type itv player it saying it dont support it adobe Reader needs to be installed or something like that so can you urgently bring back that many much thanks I’m a truely big massive customer of yours and im missing the itv player would be nice to have back.

It’s all well and good I can now watch the movies from my external hard drive, but in all honesty, my laptop and ps3 allows me to do that. What I find really annoying is still the noticeable absence of notifications of when my friends sign online. Something that basic should have been done from the start…

hongyeantern 16 June, 2015 @ 10:24

Still no 4k? Really?

Can someone explain how to connect a media server?
My computer and PS4 are on the same network but can’t seem to get it to work?

andrewsqual 16 June, 2015 @ 15:46
63.1

One of the best ones out there is Plex. If you simply go to Plex.tv you can download the free version. When its installed, add all your media to it by telling it where and what your media is (music, photos, tv shows, movies, other/home movies/game trailers.
I use TVDB as a good guide to how your media should be named so that Plex can pick it up make it all look pretty. Movies should be named exactly as they are on IMBD (with the year name too if the name of the movie had a reboot or remake).
The PS4 should pick up the Media Server part of Plex then in the new Media Player automatically.
Hope that somewhat helps :)

63.2

Im having the same problem its finding my home PC and Vuze which is on my PC. But everytime I go on my the Pc option on the PS4 i get the message Cannot access this media server. It is not allowing access from this PS4. Check the settings of the media server. I also had something on my USB stick that i was able to watch fine on the PS4 but when i put something else that i had downloaded onto the USB stick it wouldn’t show up. The PS3 has the option to enable media servers but the PS4 doesn’t as when it was released it did not support DLNA or streaming, so its like there missing out an update or something.

andrewsqual 16 June, 2015 @ 17:29
63.3

I’m not a fan of Vuze and wasn’t aware that it can do Media Server support too. Make sure that your PC isn’t firewalling it on your network. Does it work on something else like PS3’s DLNA capabilities? If so then at least we know it is the PS4 and not the PC causing the issues.

theamazingfifa 16 June, 2015 @ 10:31

We want to make our own custom wallpaper as an background in PS4 menu , please playstation make it happen! We all would love this feature

Long anticipated , perfect timing , Great Thanks :) !

Nice present from Sony. I hope DIVX support and DTS support would be in a future update. PS3 was playing DIVX avi fine why not support here ?

FLAC 24/96 please. MP3 is deader than dead.

Well CD compatibility wouldn’t be bad to have. And customizable themes/wallpapers either.

Any chance of a media remote or adding compatibility for the PS3 remote?

Nice. Thanks for finally releasing this but confused why DTS isn’t supported? That works fine via PS3 with bitstream or PCM.

Next feature needed on PS4 is the ability to make folders please!!!

There is no subtitles function? Will this change and when?

Dragontribes 16 June, 2015 @ 12:07

Very well done, Sony ! <3

COOL :P

Thanks this is a great addition, and a great start! Please add all the subtitle and audio track switching options that the PS3 had. My videos have two audio tracks (stereo and DD/DTS) and I can’t switch between them.

johndrinkwater 16 June, 2015 @ 12:29

Great, finally DLNA support has arrived!
Any chance to add WebM video, or FLAC and Ogg (Vorbis) for audio?

This is great news.

Can I request that you could add FLAC support at some point plus a more comprehensive search facility.

TheDrSanchez 16 June, 2015 @ 12:35

I apologise if this has been asked already? Are there set sizes for the External HDD that can be plugged in, I have a 1 TB and a 2TB Seagate passport drive full of movies and TV shows. Will these be read by the console?

Flipside666 16 June, 2015 @ 13:48
78.1

I guess as long as they are FAT32 format your good to go.

ChacoConats 16 June, 2015 @ 12:43

Awesome! With a larger codec support, now my PS4 is close to being an all round entertainment device like my PS3. This rocks!

When we can download musics & videos in our ps4

Things still need to be improved/added/fixed:

– Play Music CDs
– FLAC codec
– .srt subtitles
– NTFS Support
– Copy media content to PS4’s Hard Drive

Scareface1970 16 June, 2015 @ 13:12

This is really great, thank you for the new PS4 Media Player app. Now we can look at our own videos and pictures on the PS4. Now i hope in the future, that we can use our own pictures as background in the PS4 menus just like we could do with the PS3.

Excellent work! One bug though – the PS4 Media Player sorts tracks within an MP3 album from a DLNA server alphabetically instead of in track order. That makes it pretty rubbish for listening to albums. The PS3 works fine when playing from the same DLNA server, so is there any chance of getting this bug fixed in the new Media Player

83.1

This.

I thought it was an issue with my DLNA server at first, but I have tried it with multiple servers. In every other case (using any of my DLNA servers) the client ensures tracks are sorted by disc/track except the PS4 . Please fix, as Stever says, it’s pretty poor for albums until then.

83.2

+1 to this. It’s almost unusable for me not being able to play tracks by track order. No one in their right mind would listen to a TOOL album with the tracks out of order…it’s just not right! :P

Please fix this when you can get to it!

It doesn’t appear to work with the playstation remote app on iOS? Also… the iOS app needs to be update!!! It’s seriously lame, and doesn’t work with netflix either!

Why isn’t FLAC or ALAC (lossless audio) not supported in the PS4 mediaplayer.
FLAC is free to use, and is lossless audio, so very high audio quality.

OK so on my PS4 my home PC and vuze are showing up but i cannot connect to my PC as it says something like check media settings. Also vuze shows up on my PS4 but they PS4 is not showing up on vuze. Ive tried on my PS3 and enabled the media server on it so it shows up on vuze but the PS4 doesn’t seem to have this feature any help would be nice thanks.

PlayTV
PS3 is still invaluable for our TV set up. Equivalent Freeview devices with blu-ray and hard drives are in the £100’s. The PS4 is more than capable, and Netflix / iPlayer means you miss out on a lot of stuff still.

Artemisthemp 16 June, 2015 @ 13:38

MKV, MP4 and AVI :) Looks like I don’t need to watch Anime on my PC anymore

mmm, thanks but no thanks. DTS Support!!

keYserSOze80 16 June, 2015 @ 14:16

I’d like the PS4 to pass 5.1 through HDMI to my SONY surround sound receiver, like the PS3 did.

Thanks

Finally indeed! been waiting for this feature since the release of the console!!
Now, how about a nice .srt (subtitles files) support?

cannibaldude 16 June, 2015 @ 14:27

DTS, DTS-HD MA, Dolby digital TRUE HD, SRT, SUP, 3D mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SamuelCroft 16 June, 2015 @ 14:44

I am so happy! I might actually retire the PlayStation3 now.

93.1

Not yet. The PS3 plays WMV but not MKV files, and its vice versa for the PS4. PS3 also has the awesome ‘PS Media server’ software that allows you to stream most files from you PC.

To me the absence of this feature was one the reason I didn’t purchase a PS4. Now I don’t have any reason. To the store I go!

Oh, and would you mind implementing FLAC support? :D

Something that always bothered me about PS3s media player was it didn’t support playlists off your server. The only way to get a playlist to work was to load your entire music library on the console. Hopefully they’ve fixed that.

wickedwozza 16 June, 2015 @ 15:03

How about updates for Flash Player in the Internet browser once and for all. PS3 never got an update for this. It’s so frustrating when trying to play videos on various different websites, like online newspapers, and catch up TV. Especially as there’s no 4OD app (that would be welcome), and Flash Player is needed for channel 4’s website. Microsoft has had it for ages.
So make a deal with Adobe and get on par with Microsoft, unless they have an exclusivity deal with Adobe (which i doubt).

PLEASE support .srt for the subtitles

zalwelgoedgaan 16 June, 2015 @ 15:17

Good job! Keep adding those features to blow away the competition!

Show full comment

USB stick? Does this mean I can’t use my external powered hard drives? I have most of my ripped library on those. Also, I guess it can’t play ISOs? I ripped my DVD collection to that format and continue to do so because my preferred server (Mezzmo) plays those just fine. Nice at least that the MKV rips allow AC-3 and AAC audio but what about Dolby Digital or other audio formats? No FLAC yet, so my audio CD collection is going to have to wait awhile before going under the knife. Still not DLNA compatible? That was promised the first week the console was released. Still waiting. E3 has been a bust so far. Game announcements for games that have been in development for years or won’t be available for years. TV programming limited to only a few cities (looks like I have to keep my cable TV subscription awhile yet). Not much in the updated hardware department. Was waiting for some bleeding edge hardware to add to this new console but disappointed again. Luckily I have multiple systems (consoles, computers and mobiles) so I’m not stuck playing any one thing but I realize not everyone can go down that route. Well, maybe they’ll throw us a bone come Christmas…

99.1

Looks like we do have DLNA compatibility now. Have to test this with my multiple servers though. Wonder if the Dolby Digital is 5.1 or 7.1? Maybe have to wait on that one. Will test with an external powered hard drive. Wonder if this means the Plex app is a moot point now? Well, off to do those tests…

99.2

Dang! Won’t play from my external. Says file system incompatible. Probably only works from FAT32 flash drives. Also wont play any ISO file through Mezzmo. Will have to keep my WDTV box for now it seems since that will play from an external hard drive in NTFS as well as play ISOs directly or steamed. ..

99.3

Now I’m upset! Mezzmo has to transcode the ISOs BUT they play fine on my Xbox One with full subtitle support streamed over my home network! I was secretly hoping that wouldn’t work but there you go. Looks like my PS4 isn’t getting any love this time out…

SONY. GIVE UNCOMORESSED PNG SCREEENSHOT OPTION.

wickedwozza 16 June, 2015 @ 15:27

An option to turn off the controllers light bar, to help extend the battery would be a major bonus.

anirudhgoyal 16 June, 2015 @ 15:43

PLEASE GIVE SUBTITLES SUPPORT. (.srt) files. These being available and we don’t need any other feature! Please!

Flipside666 16 June, 2015 @ 16:07

I can confirm my WD 1TB drive formated to FAT32 works, sweeeeet! But personally I think the ps3 has better sound and video quality in my opinion, good start though and thank you Sony, perhaps I can put my ps3 in my bedroom now as a media center.

103.1

Yes! The PS3 is a beast in terms of loud clear sound.

There will be audio issues on the PS4 media player for sure. I noticed it does not have true dts or dolby digital support. If you are using a surround sound system, you might want to change the speaker mode to two channel instead of 5 channel. I noticed a marked improvement in YouTube sound quality after doing the same.

Just remember to switch it back to 5 channel sound for your games, dvd and blu ray.

Thanks for a great update.

A few comments that doesn’t seem to have been mentioned – in case any developers are listening in.
* The option to change audio tracks for videos with multiple languages seems to be missing.
* Simply displaying a list of the folders is ok, but scrolling through the list currently takes very long time perhaps accelerating the scrolling over time or a search feature would be great.
* The video playback stutters when some 1080p files.

Good Media App! Just two things I suggest you to improve.

1. Please bring ATRAC support for music and playback fo Audio-CDs
2. Option to copy photo/music/video on PS4 HDD.

Thanks for listening, you guys delivered us a phantastic E3!

First I love the MKV support!!!!!!

I would just like the abilities I had with the ps3. Able to zoom on videos, audio information including bitrate and type like dolby 5channel or 2 channel, dts etc.. Ability to display all on thumb drive so I do not have to load all my video files into a sub directory called video.

The feature I would like is some kind of audio EQ. The ability to select which audio I want to hear for video file with multi language encoded. Or to boost the center audio channel if I cannot hear it.

Some of the video codecs do not work right. One of them (mp4) was playing audio but no video. All my other Mp4’s worked just fine. The video in question played just fine on my PS3. I have a couple of files that played on my PS3 but would not play on my PS4. And no they do not have cinavera embedded in them.

Thank you very much Sony EXCELLENT YESSSSSSSSS

Galactica-Actual 16 June, 2015 @ 17:42

Has anyone actually tried the player? can someone please tell me how to get it to work? do you have to them in a folder? if so what do you name the folder?
Thanks

108.1

Make sure your USB HDD is in FAT 32 format. After that, put your media in any folder with any name and it should detect.

i haven’t got any mkv to work at all!
AVI and MP4 all work really good, old and new files and really good and fast to!

Anyone else getting video files playing at high speed with no audio?

can anybody help, getting this message.

Cannot access this media server. it is not allowing access from this PS4. check the setting of the media server.

thanks

Thank you so much!

I was like, YAY! MKV support! Then I tested it and I was royally trolled. How am I to watch anime if it doesn’t support built in subtitles?! Sony should stop acting as if everyone knows Japanese! Also, only half anime worked in 1080p, lack of codecs on Sony side I guess?

This has been a long awaited feature so thank you Sony! The only issue is the lack of HDD formats supported. A future update that includes Mac OS Extended format would be greatly appreciated!

sbolduc7676 16 June, 2015 @ 19:46

Awesome, you just made my day! Thank you!!!!

Galactica-Actual 16 June, 2015 @ 19:51

Seriously , how does this work? what do you name the folder for MKV files and music files and pictures please?

116.1

You can give your folders any name, but all content needs to be in a folder. However, make sure your usb HDD is in FAT 32 format first.

Aesthetically, why no transparency on the icon ?… the solid blue looks pretty naff next to the Internet Browner and TV & Video icons.

And isn’t it about time we could put all these apps into a Media folder ?

hey guys maybe someone can help me? ive got the media player i and inserted my usb stick with mkv files and avi files but they arnt showing up when I select my usb stick?

any help would be greatly appreciated

118.1

First make sure your usb stick is in FAT 32 format. Put all your media in a folder. It can be of any name and it will detect. However, there are some MKV files (subtitles hard coded, which may not work).

XxFuneralFirexX 16 June, 2015 @ 20:41

Too bad my ps4 can’t locate a “media server” on my windows pc. Can someone help? I don’t feel like getting a flash drive…

119.1

I don’t think its possible to link it to windows media server as of now. I have tried and failed spectacularly.

Scareface1970 16 June, 2015 @ 20:52

I checked out the PS4 Media Player app and a big minus point is: you have to use always a USB stick to watch your videos and pictures. To bad i thought that we could copy it to your PS4 hard drive. Now i need always a USB stick, when i want to watch my videos and pictures. On the PS3 we could put every video and picture on the hard drive. The PS4 has more power and we can’t do this, so this is a minus for the PS4 Media Player app.

Flipside666 16 June, 2015 @ 20:55

The AVCHD playback at 1080p is terrible, the ps3 AVCHD 1080p playback is amazing, what gives Sony? Same video on both systems and the ps3 plays it totally sharp and not fuzzy when panning. The footage was taken on a Sony HD handycam so you’d think the PS4 could handle it, please fix this Sony.

DennisChrDk 16 June, 2015 @ 21:00

@Dayo2k8 how did you get subs to work?

BlindingPhil 16 June, 2015 @ 21:04

I would love to see integration with cloud storage services such as OneDrive and DropBox (especially OneDrive!!!)
All my stuff is there as it keeps my PC clear, and it would also mean I can manage to watch my media only turning on one device.

Plus, a last-played datestamp after the name of each video would be amazing. I often forget where I am in a series, and that would help me no end.

Thanks! :)

Still no streaming my prog concept albums off the PC then. Won’t play in order. ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!

Please Add PS Vita Support?. CMA? Please!?

CHANCHO3600 16 June, 2015 @ 22:29

Can you connect your phone to play music?

eliyanimoses 16 June, 2015 @ 23:10

Remote Play access from all Xperia devices and PS Vita, from anywhere one can find an hotshot away from home. Remote Play used to have this functionality.

Very keen to have a video chat function ASAP really missing being able to video chat with friends on the sony