Posted

Anime app Crunchyroll launches on PlayStation today

Watch your favourite anime through your console

We are excited to announce that the Crunchyroll app is now available on PlayStation internationally!

The Crunchyroll PlayStation app is currently available will be available in the following territories: UK, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, UAE. Content availability varies by region.

So what are you waiting for? Download the app and start watching your favourite anime today!

37 Comments
0 Author replies

Never heard of it before, but I tried it this morning on ps4 and Vita and liked it. I am keeping my free trial for when the school starts :p

Are you planning to bring more subtitle options like Greek? or at least English even when they are dubbed ?

ikbenJeffrey1 28 August, 2015 @ 17:33

Awesome! Anime on the Vita’s OLED sould look amazing!

Destructoid1979 28 August, 2015 @ 17:53
2.1

Do you have dutch subtitles?

2.2

Why would you want dutch subs? English FTW

2.3

At least I hope they offer Japanese audio.

crimsonidol-de 28 August, 2015 @ 17:34

> So what are you waiting for?

I just waited a bit to say thank you for finally bringing this app to the Vita. The Anime game-console is a perfect fit for this app!

AholeintheBoden 28 August, 2015 @ 17:38

I’m flabberghasted that you included Swiss for once thanks

AWESOME! I’ll give it a try and if it works well, maybe I’ll consider premium, but I really hope you get all the gintama episodes, that would really make it a no brainer for me.

It doesn’t have the movies, but it does have every episode of Gintama with new ones each week.

Okay…this is sort of about anime or at least a game based on an anime.

Can anyone clarify if what is called story pack on PS4 store is actually the season pass for One Piece Pirate Warriors 3? It’s worded sort of like a season pass but I don’t want to buy a story pack when I would prefer a season pass

should also add both Amazon and Game are listing it as story pack and of course bandainamco offers no info either – well at least I now know they will be releasing professional farming and logging games -_-

Destructoid1979 28 August, 2015 @ 17:52

For Belgium, which population is Dutch and French speaking, the subtitles are default German!?! :-(
I can change to English but for the love of god add at least the option for French subtitles.
Strangely if you want to watch Naruto there is a network error, other shows you can watch. Hmmmm

who need subtiles ?
puth them off
English speaking then = good to me

UNLIMITED ANIME!

Yay. Although I do think more progress needs to be done with apps….why don’t we in the uk have 4OD or itv player yet for the ps4?

Is this subscription based or something?

10.1

Second paragraph:
“The app is free to download via PlayStation Store from today and you can watch several of your favourite anime titles for free as well! For the best experience, with no ads, HD quality, and the latest simulcasts, be sure to get a premium membership!”

That should answer your question.

I’ll be happy about this once I get home and make sure “Portugal” was not included my mistake :)

FINALLY!!

I’ve been using it on my American account, now I’m signed up to premium I’m happy I can use it on my normal account.

Been watching SAO II.

It freezes every now and again for a little bit which is annoying but it’s a great service and bloody cheap.

Woo finally, going to give this a shot. I watch a lot of anime on my Vita but been using other steaming sites which are a bit of a pain to use.

Nice! Gonna check out Persona 4 the Golden Animation first. Any other suggestions after that?

Spade_The_Prinny 28 August, 2015 @ 23:59
14.1

personally i would go for the origional p4 anime as the golden one goes through several timeskips

It’s… super expensive. 7$ a month before tax, that’s around 103$ a year after tax, plus having to use the credit card to pay intercontinentally. That’s more than TWICE more expensive than Plus. Without the sub you can’t watch new episodes, whereas I watched the newest episode of Gate just now, for free via “internet.” Not gonna check how watching old episodes with ads works, not really interested, but I could live with the ads on new episodes if they were in the free package.

15.1

I agree the price is high, but it depends what you use it for. I used to be signed up and watched LOADS of shows on there, so it made sense and worked out pretty cheap. Then the shows i wanted to watch finished and i was left paying £8pm (or something like that) to watch Naruto Shippuden 4 times a month.

Tbh, the selection on Netflix is pretty good right now, and for more-or-less the same price too and you get the added extras of films and tv shows. Depends which makes more sense to you imo.

15.2

biggest problem on aps + lots of mmo games = them using credit cards ore their own paying service who you are not abel to buy tru psn shop.

love eso them made good option
dislike = ff mmo /netflix ……

I have been using the US version of Crunchyroll app for PS3 and PS4 for so long and been so sad that, I couldn’t install it on my Vita but, looks like I finally can :)

This is a nice surprise :)

I don’t know if anime is a liquid or a solid.

Checked the app on PS4 and must say I wasn’t impressed. Resolution looked like something sub 1080p and the bitrate was so bad, it felt like watching anime on YouTube. Do mind I’m talking about their free (with commercials) episodes, but if the paid quality is also this bad, I say not thank you. Their business model is also kinda unfair, because some of the shows aren’t available in my region, but I still have to pay the full price, like for example Americans who get the full package.

19.1

So I have enabled the free trial and the quality is way better than on the free version with ads. Still disappointed in lack of some shows (e.g Gangsta) due to licence restriction. Although I think I’ll get the 3 month sub anyway, since $20 is a pretty good price for being able to watch legally lots of new anime in 1080p soon after they air in Japan.

What’s this a media app released on SCEE? put out on the Vita as well. Amazing!!!

Seriously guys, as impressive as this is where is the Vita app for Netflix?

SatoshiOokami 29 August, 2015 @ 09:13

At least we finally get it, considering US already had it for a while.

Finka_Karfein 29 August, 2015 @ 12:06

“The Crunchyroll PlayStation app is currently available will be available” – is or will be, decide :P

nfskingrlinworld 29 August, 2015 @ 15:56

Why animax UK app not working :(

Iv’e been having to log into my dummy US account for months i can finally watch it normally now!
Any chance we can get One Piece in the UK though? Don’t email me saying it’s updated when i cant even view it!

WaterElemental 30 August, 2015 @ 21:30

When is the going to be an ITV Player app!?

Sora-Axel1115 30 August, 2015 @ 22:25

oh great.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history